Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dave_Indeed
Feb 22, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

It is with a heavy heart that we must announce the end of our support for Asheron's Call and Asheron’s Call 2, and will close both services on January 31st, 2017.
This decision did not come easy, and we know this is disappointing for many of you. This game is a labor of love, and it's not easy for us to bring it to an end.
We have had a phenomenally long run; one of the longest in the world of MMORPGs, and that in and of itself is a spectacular feat. We are proud of our legacy, and the entire Asheron's Call team has been honored to adventure with you for nearly twenty years. We thank you very much for being a part of it.
It’s been an amazing run. You’ve done Asheron Realaidain proud.
Between now and January 31st, 2017, the game will remain available to play, completely free, for any player currently with an account. New account creation will be disabled.
If you have any questions, please visit support.wbgames.com

It's over guys, you will never play Asheron's Call ever again, Turbine is calling it quits. You can't ever log in to Darktide, kill a bunch of low level players, steal their flaming katar, offer it back to them via PM and then kill them again when they show up.

Gone too soon.

RIP Mattekar Coat

RIP Giant Monoguas

RIP Olothoi

RIP Fat people that never left town and sat around talking poo poo all the time

RIP loving umbris shadow rear end in a top hat

RIP Asheron and Bael'Zharon, god speed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
:(

meet you at teth... someday...

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Have the people who still play this kickstarted a private server yet? Are there enough of them that this could be a lucrative idea if the server somehow got lost in shipping?

Spandex Bonerlord
Sep 30, 2014

Quake had a good run, but don't fret OP, they're making a new one called Champions or somethin.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

Ol Cactus Dick posted:

Have the people who still play this kickstarted a private server yet? Are there enough of them that this could be a lucrative idea if the server somehow got lost in shipping?

i'm actually sitting next to somebody who used to work at turbine QA. apparently the subscriptions for both AC1 and AC2 (which ran on the same machines and were basically tied at the hip) were barely enough to pay the salary for the one guy who kept them running. the lotro and ddo teams moved to a new studio (standing stone games) so who knows what turbine is all about now. thanks warner!

good times, anyways. good times. back before there was answers for everything on the internet instantly

Dave_Indeed
Feb 22, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
There's a lot of people asking if they'll release private server software on Turbines facebook page, but they haven't actually said as far as I can see. AC2 can suck my cock but AC1 with a texture pack would legitimately own bones.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNtUt31PURo

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
morrowind multiplayer mod coming along nicely

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
every couple years i get the urge to play a mmo again but then i usually come to my senses and punch myself in the dick for a few hours instead.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

http://www.askcorran.com/ac_rap.htm

The internet was not very good in ~2001.

Dave_Indeed
Feb 22, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Heaps of Sheeps posted:

http://www.askcorran.com/ac_rap.htm

The internet was not very good in ~2001.

"Once completed downloading, you might been to right click and then click play."

lol, instructions on how to play media on a website? how did we live?

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

was a great game when i was in 7th grade, before i had any semblance of a life

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

I hate to spoil the ending, but...some stuff gets eaten, y'know?
This was the first MMO I ever played. I never had the dedication to grind to get a large character, but that didn't keep me from having a loving blast.

It was a magical time before the internet had easily searchable databases of items, quests, and locations, so I spent hours of my time just exploring this game and marking down coordinates of stuff I could share with my buds at school. I remember stumbling across places like the Halls of the Helm, the Lugian Citadel, and Mossy Fort and thinking "gently caress yeah, I'm gonna be a loving hero when we all group up next." Moments like that are pretty lacking right now because of how thoroughly easy the internet has made it to share info about virtual worlds.

None of my party really knew what we were doing, so every foray into the wilderness was an adventure:

-I went with the standard "Enchanter" character template that was universally considered to suck. I would pretty much go around buffing everything I saw with underwhelming results, and I couldn't do poo poo by myself.
-My girlfriend refused to put pants on her character for fashion reasons, so every time any monster would hit her in the legs we'd hear that "OOOOOOWOO" sound where the character shits herself and loses most of her HP.
-I had a friend that was obsessed with min-maxing. He would constantly ask powerful people about how they started their characters, and every time he encountered a more powerful one, he would reroll because his last template was outdated. He was constantly logged on under a new character.
-Another friend had a knack for getting us all into trouble by either getting curious about large monsters or lagging into large monsters. He would just say "incoming" and then we'd be swamped with monoguas or whatever he happened to attract this time.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Neurolimal posted:

morrowind multiplayer mod coming along nicely

lol I thought the same thing when I looked at the screenshots.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
gently caress AC anyway. UO for life.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
i'm a drudge and i'mma hit you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RL4EPGe6fbY

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
I only ever played EQ, but I always liked the box art of AC I & II seemed magical

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Hardawn posted:

I only ever played EQ, but I always liked the box art of AC I & II seemed magical

My rogue buddy said "I got me[sic] a new game" and then we raided for another 5 years.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Never played AC2 but AC1 had such good and cool world design. If you just ran in any direction you'd eventually come across something cool. I haven't played it for ~15 years but this still sucks.

I remember really wanting both AC and EQ1 but having to pick AC because i didn't have a 3D Accelerator.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

AC2 was my first MMO. It was a great game, marred by some very bad design decisions. I was blown away by that game. I tried playing AC1 but the graphics were a turnoff, even back then.

The music system was really cool.

I had a high level Lugian Bezerker and another class - a human melee class of some sort. The Tumerok classes were really cool.

me your dad fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Dec 20, 2016

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I played on Darktide for a while. It was fun as hell. It was total wild west. No rules. You'd be happily leveling in some abandoned town (world was loving huge) and then some rear end in a top hat without a shirt would come in and shove his acid fist knife up your rear end repeatedly. It was loving awesome.

CaptainAssholay
May 23, 2001

Don't Think
Goddamn AC1 was my first MMO, I spent so much time trading in the hub and farming the Olthoi Caverns and the Lugian Citadel.

This makes me sad, though I'm surprised they even still had the servers still running.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
2016 claims another victim.

GRILLARY CLINTON
Mar 5, 2016

I know the devil is real.
I know the devil is real.
i bought this game and played it for like 20 minutes then never played again

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Ginette Reno posted:

I played on Darktide for a while. It was fun as hell. It was total wild west. No rules. You'd be happily leveling in some abandoned town (world was loving huge) and then some rear end in a top hat without a shirt would come in and shove his acid fist knife up your rear end repeatedly. It was loving awesome.

I had an aversion to pvp when I was younger so I missed out on most of Darktide but I did have a "Hill person" and took part in some raids. Those were hilarious. I still vividly recall 20 or 30 of us level 1-3ish guys with clubs surrounding some 70+ mage and just beating him to death

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I love when things like this happen and I'm forced to go "Holy poo poo, that was still running?"

ED: I wish these games had more amusing ends than shutting off. Ultima Online should have died with one final quest, for one player per server to find the Apocalypse spell and cast it.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Dec 20, 2016

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Blazing Ownager posted:

Ultima Online should have died with one final quest, for one player per server to find the Apocalypse spell and cast it.

But UO hasn't shut down :confused:

Sixfools
Aug 27, 2005

You be the Moon,
I'll be the Earth
And when we burst
Start over, oh, darling
gently caress. I had just been playing again recently for the last month or so and had been having fun, always was was able to find someone to run quests with.

Well that sucks, I had been planning on running through all the major quest at last.

Magnitogorsk.
Nov 14, 2004

Global warming is barely a big deal at all compared to the trajectory we used to be on. We'll have to do a lot of environmental engineering projects along certain shorelines and it will be a little warmer and wetter in some places, big fucking deal.
Was AC better than EQ?

Like if you picked a melee character did you get to do more than toggle auto attack and click "Kick" every 15 seconds?

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Darktide was awesome. Starting out at the newbie tower near holtburg and trying desperately to get to a new lifestone before some 30 level guy swooped in and owned you. Always at max vitae. You had to live in the loving wilderness like some kind of animal, grinding off bunnies and occasionally robbing anybody lower than you.

It's a shame nobody has made anything else like it since.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Magnitogorsk. posted:

Was AC better than EQ?

Like if you picked a melee character did you get to do more than toggle auto attack and click "Kick" every 15 seconds?

nah it was basically the same lovely combat as EQ. AC was better in other ways though.

I hope someone makes a server emulator like the did for Ultima Online. I still like to log into a UO fan server every few years and gank some noobs.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Combat was really basic but the magic system was also really cool until someone reverse engineered it so that all the formulas were known.

To use spells you had to have ingredients and know the formula, but the formulas had to be discovered through trial and error.

CaptainAssholay
May 23, 2001

Don't Think
The dungeons were fun as hell too. Some of them had jumping puzzles which were a pain in the rear end and if you didn't raise your Jump skill enough you'd eat poo poo. I remember one of them ended up with you falling into a pit of acid if you didn't make it.

The cool thing is that you lost all your gear on death so it made it pretty nerve wracking. Goddamn the nostalgia train is hitting me hard. Also hoping for an emulated server in the future.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
yeah a random skill check that if you don't pass you lose all your gear sounds super fun lol

Sixfools
Aug 27, 2005

You be the Moon,
I'll be the Earth
And when we burst
Start over, oh, darling

Magnitogorsk. posted:

Was AC better than EQ?

they added some melee skills that can trigger based on height of the attack

Sixfools
Aug 27, 2005

You be the Moon,
I'll be the Earth
And when we burst
Start over, oh, darling

Moridin920 posted:

yeah a random skill check that if you don't pass you lose all your gear sounds super fun lol

nah you jump back in the pit while everyone mass heals you so you can loot and recall

edit: facebook post confirms they are not releasing the server code as was promised 2 years ago

Sixfools fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Dec 20, 2016

Grogquock
May 2, 2009
The little icon for Carol's Carrot Soup looked so tasty I was inspired to make a creamy carrot soup for dinner one night in college. It was OK and helped keep off the scurvy.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Hm yes those 320x320 pixel graphics sure look fun you will be missed, game

Dave_Indeed
Feb 22, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Magnitogorsk. posted:

Was AC better than EQ?

In AC you could dodge magic and physical projectiles, stop to heal yourself with bandages or magic, or debuff monsters.

PVP was sweet if you were a mage, you started casting poo poo and started shuffling all over the place trying to get the other guys spell to miss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

he still posts videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/dr34d0g/videos

let's see if he makes a video response of him crying liek a bitch

• Locked thread