Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

They seem to have good chemisty, I'll give the backlog a go through. Would be interesting to have a perspective from an actual american left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

JcDent posted:

Comrade KomradeX, I just wanted to post that.

Also, I grab goons straight by the gun.

E: There was a previous reading of something about ACW 2 where Real American Men crushed liberal lesbian wieners

I had another friend I turned onto the podcast ask if I had listened to it yet, what with it being Christmas I wasn't expecting one so was glad to listen to it at work today. And the second it was over I figured it was prime for thread since it's just about the same delusions as this monstrosity

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
And weird barely disguised stand ins for political targets.

Throwing Turtles
May 3, 2015
Chapter seven

Ben finds a motel, and starts making up a room when he notices a group of black people in the parking lot.

quote:

“Deserting your friends in the suburbs?” a tall black man asked. Ben could detect no hostility in his voice.

“I might ask the same of you,” Ben said.

The man laughed. “A point well taken. So ... it appears we have both chosen this motel to spend the night. But . . . we were here first— quite some time. We were watching you. So ... which one of us leaves?”

“None of us,” Ben said. “If you don’t trust me, lock your doors.”

The man once again laughed. My name is Cecil Jeffreys.”

“Ben Rains”

“Ben Raines? Where have I heard that name? The writer?”

“Ah … what price fame?” Ben smiled “Yes . Sorry, I didn’t mean to be flip.”

“I didn’t take it that way. We’re in the same wing, just above you. My wife is preparing dinner now-- in the motel kitchen. Would you like to join us?”

“Yes, very much so. I’m tired of my own cooking”

This is Cecil Jeffreys. Hope you like him he’s gonna be here forever. His main character traits devolve into being black and agreeing with Ben, but in the first book he’s probably one of the better written characters.

quote:

“You’re familiar with the Thompson?”

“Oh yes. Carried one in Vietnam. Green Beret. You?”

“Hell-hound.”

“Ah! The real bad boys. Colonel Dean’s Buch. You fellows we’re headhunters.”

“We took a few ears.”

They walked shoulder to shoulder down the walkway, Cecil’s friends coming up in the rear. Ben resisted a very strong impulse to look behind him.

Cecil smiled. “If it will make you feel better, go ahead and look around”

“You a mind reader?” Ben laughed.

“No, just knowledgeable of whites that’s all.”

“As you see us,”Ben countered.

“Good point. We’ll have a good time debating; I see that.”

As Ben gets washed up for dinner he reflects on his situation.

quote:

Ben, like many, if not most, whites, had never socialized with blacks, never sat down at a table with a a black person to have dinner— except for his time in the service, and there had been few blacks in his outfit. In truth, Ben did not really know or trust black people. He didn’t know why he didn’t trust them. He just didn’t. Ben despised the KKK, the Nazi Party— groups of that ilk— and he would never, ever, hurt a black person, unless that person was trying to hurt him; but, he admitted, as he bathed— very quickly— in the cold water ... I guess I really don’t like black people.

But why? He asked himself. Have you ever tried to know or like a black person?

No

He goes to dinner and spends the entire time realizing he believes a lot of stupid stereotypes. Not all blacks drink Thunderbird.

quote:

“Ever sat down and had dinner with blacks?” a woman inquired. Her tone was neither friendly nor hostile… just curious.

Hell, Ben thought--they’re as curious about me as I am about them. “Not really. Only in the service.”

Dinner is uncomfortable.

Ben has blacksense

quote:

The woman Ben had thought white— he still wasn’t sure what she was— asked, “They’re all dead?” “All but the brother in Chicago.” He looked at her. She was very good-looking. No negroid features about her; but Ben sensed she was black, at least to some degree. “Your family?” he asked her.

Dinner talk covers the recent war and how much nuclear warfare had advanced. It’s pleasant but it can’t last forever.

quote:

The woman who had asked about his family was Salina. Salina Franklin. There were Jake and Nora, a Clint and Jane Helms, and Anwar Ali Kasim.

Kasim is to put it mildly hostie.

quote:

“How come you didn’t stay with your brother and his buddies and help kill rear end the niggers in the city?”

Everybody thinks Kasim is a jerk. Salina calls him on it.

quote:

“Well, now… Zebra got herself a yearning for some white cock?”

She smacks him, he goes to strike back and see’s Cecil holding is gun on him. Ben senses the hostility in the room and politely excuses himself. The next morning Salina comes to apologize. She gives us Kasim’s story, his sister was gang raped by white guys.
She explains zebra cause he’s kind of dumb.

quote:

laugh. “I’m half white, half black. My mother was a light-skinned woman, good-looking. My father was a handsome man. Yes, they were married.” “I didn’t think you were—” “Pure coon,” she cut in, but she was smiling. “That was not my choice of words, Salina.”

She kisses him and then leaves.

The way Johnstone handles racism feels a little weird compared to most right wing fiction. He admits that he doesn't know any black people, and that most of he thinks is probably wrong. White supremacists are a frequent antagonist. So he knows that racism is bad, and not just being called racist but actually being racist. But this doesn't mean that you won't find a bunch of black antagonists described in the most racist way imaginable.

The best way to describe it, Ben doesn't care what race you are as long as you think exactly like him.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Well, if they are bad people, you can be racist against them. It cancels out!

Why would black and white people never interact anyways, as Ben believes? They might be shaped in some way by black culture (is there a white culture, outside of just "default culture"?), but they're not aliens, orcs or the French.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

For a crazy conservative fantasy fic it's a little more nuanced than I expected but, like, it'd be nice if the author progressed further than tryhard colourblindness having identified the issue with his lack of knowledge.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

For a crazy conservative fantasy fic it's a little more nuanced than I expected but, like, it'd be nice if the author progressed further than tryhard colourblindness having identified the issue with his lack of knowledge.

If he did that then it wouldn't be crazy conservative fanfic.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Barbe Rouge posted:

If he did that then it wouldn't be crazy conservative fanfic.
He could still spend half a page explaining why he passed over a cache of better suited non-American made weapons because they were probably touched by a gay person at one point and picked up a broomstick with two pipes lashed to it made by :fap:John Browning:fap: and then used it to kill the big bad who was standing on two American flags at the same time while using birth control.

Throwing Turtles
May 3, 2015
Ben drives south, every place he stops he finds a few people waiting for the government to fix everything. Not cleaning, not burying the dead just waiting for the government to roll up and start fixing poo poo. It makes me think of something I’ve never thought of before, survivor psychology in a situation has got to be like something we’ve never seen. Ben of course is immune to psychology so he’s fine. Occasionally he finds bigger more coherent groups with women offering to go with hem. He finds a group of three men drunk off their rear end, they want to know if he’s seen any broads.
Eventually he sees this on a billboard

quote:

Ben Raines- If you’re alive and reading this, or if anybody knows the whereabouts of Ben Raines, have him contact us on military 39.2 Keep trying; We’ll be listening. We need orders.

Apparently what’s left of the military is looking for him. I’m not sure what their chain of command looks like but for now I’m going to assume its Ben’s name with a line pointing to a big blob. He chooses to ignore it.

He avoids an active firefight in Fort Wayne. He starts getting fuel from tankers, as none of the pumps work anymore.

quote:

Ben had anticipated the highways and interstates clogged with stalled vehicles, but that had not been the case, and as he drove, he saw why. On the interstates, exits and on-ramps were hopelessly snarled; traffic was backed up, in many cases, for a mile or more. It was hard work getting off and on the interstate system, and Ben knew he would have to find a four-wheel drive with one hell of a good PTO winch on the front.

So the freeways are clear cause everybody got stuck on the on ramps. He stops in an Ohio State police building and rounds up a Geiger counter. Which might have been issued to police in the 80s, not sure.

He moves on to Toledo when

quote:

Engrossed in CB chatter, he did not notice the motorcycles until it was almost too late. He was gassing up, the motor still on. He took an almost perverse pleasure (childlike, he realized) in wasting gas, since it no longer cost an arm and a leg to buy a gallon. He hoped the Arabs, who had gouged the world for years, were all rotting in their oil-rich beds, their imported French water growing bugs in it. It was American know-how that had brought in their loving oil in the first place.

He’s mad at capitalism.

quote:

Ben pulled out onto the highway just as he heard the roar coming at him. A pistol barked and a slug spider-webbed the windshield. He squalled onto Ohio 199 just as another slug slammed through the rear window. Ben glanced at his side mirror; the motorcyclists were gaining on him, waving guns and shouting.

Two were tailgating him. Ben smiled grimly and jammed on his brakes. He felt a jarring impact as the bikers rear end-ended the pickup; one was thrown over the cab to land on his head in the center of the road. Ben spun the wheel, corrected his slide, and stopped in the center of the highway. He grabbed his Thompson, opened the door, and cleared the highway of two-wheel vermin.

Those that were left wanted no more of Ben Raines. Whooping and hollering and shouting curses at him, they tucked their tails and split, man, leaving their wounded behind. Ben ignored the pleas for help from the riders sprawled in bleeding pain on the concrete. He didn’t think they would have helped him had the situation been reversed.

If you took a drink every time somebody tries to kill Ben, fails, and begs for mercy you would get pretty drunk. If you drink every time shows mercy you might take a drink every five books. Anyway his car is busted so he hunts down a national guard or reserve armory. He gets a new truck.

quote:

He changed the oil and filters in the truck, tossed two spare tires in the back, then went prowling through the armory to see what he could find. He picked up a few cases of C-ration and some dehydrated rations.

Everytime he lists equipment it kind of stops being a book for a minute and starts being a player telling me what his character wants to pick up.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
This book would be fine as a Fallout novel, as written by Bethesda.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

JcDent posted:

There is an old post nuclear war RPG called Tomorrow Project. In the vein of all good old RPGs, it starts with a massively autistic chartaton to calculate what places get hit and by what, and how much radiation remains, and radiation sickness. One weird thing about it is that they include bacteriological ICBMs into the list. Where the soviets seriously deploying biological weapons in missiles?

Is this available anywhere in PDF form? I'm not having much luck finding it if it is, owing to the many things now named "Tomorrow Project" that are vastly more popular.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Remind me in about ten hours or so and I might be able to fish it out.

quote:

Ben of course is immune to psychology so he’s fine. 

It's not just Warhammer, it's Oldhammer up in this bitch!

Half of the people in this book are servitors who get mindlock if there's no bureaucracy priest government seer to guide them; the other half are Imperial robots, with their first command being
if (government) = 0
Then rape

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Canuck-Errant posted:

Is this available anywhere in PDF form? I'm not having much luck finding it if it is, owing to the many things now named "Tomorrow Project" that are vastly more popular.

It's called The Morrow Project. It's really good.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Sounds like the same vein as Twilight 2000. 80s RPGs were the craziest drat things, Twilight 2000 had a Calendar with weather conditions for every year for 1996 through 2000

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Twilight 2000 is sheer bugfuck insanity constructed by NASA engineers for RPG sessions between rocket scientists, idiot savants, AI computers and God.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Throwing Turtles posted:

So the freeways are clear cause everybody got stuck on the on ramps. He stops in an Ohio State police building and rounds up a Geiger counter. Which might have been issued to police in the 80s, not sure.
I can believe that there were a ton of CD V-777-1 kits lying around in police and other public buildings in the 80s. They still show up from time to time.

Probably shoved in a store closet somewhere and forgotten about in the panic of an actual nuclear attack.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

JcDent posted:

Twilight 2000 is sheer bugfuck insanity constructed by NASA engineers for RPG sessions between rocket scientists, idiot savants, AI computers and God.

This is the perfect explanation of it I got the 2nd edition rule book as a PDF and is would be a nightmare to run, let alone teach the players

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
The new version came out a couple years ago and is much simpler.

Throwing Turtles
May 3, 2015
Chapter eight.

quote:

By the middle of October, Ben had traveled as far to the east as he dared go. Transmissions on the CB had dwindled to practically nothing, and lately he had been seeing some fresh bodies, all with signs of radiation sickness marking them. He knew they had died hard.

It’s not clear how long it’s been since doomsday. Maybe two weeks. It occurs to him that nobody has checked on prisons, old age homes, and mental institutions.

quote:

Oh, my God!
Had anyone thought to check on them?

Why didn’t I? he asked silently.

He headed the nose of the truck southwest, through Pennsylvania. He would skirt the cities and check the small towns, the jails and hospitals, work his way southwest, through West Virginia, then cut into Virginia, giving the hot areas of Washington and Baltimore lots of room.

The news is bad. But at least he gets points for realizing his own failing. Also failing here is geography. He drove south from Chicago and ended up in Pennsylvania.

Just north of Charlottesville, he sees a survivor.

quote:

The figure whirled around at the sound of the truck, then jumped for the ditch, trying for the woods. But the jump was short, and the boy fell hard, grabbing at his ankle. By this time, Ben was on the scene. He stepped out onto the shoulder and turned, finding himself looking down the barrel of a small automatic pistol, held by a pretty young lady.

“I didn’t mean you any harm, miss.” Ben tried to calm her.

“Yeah? That’s what the last bunch of guys said, while they were trying to tear my clothes off me.”

“How’d you get away?”

“I kicked one of them in the nuts and split, man!”

“You want me to take a look at that ankle?”

“Not particularly. Why don’t you head on out? I’ll be all right.”

“I don’t mean you any harm, miss. Please believe me. What’s your name?”

“None of your damned business.”

“O.K., None-of-Your-Damned-Business, my name is Ben Raines.”

“Big deal. Who cares? Ben Raines. That sounds kinda familiar.”

“I’m a writer. What are you, seventeen?”

“I’m nineteen, if that’s any of your business— which it isn’t.” She fixed her dark blue eyes on him. “O.K., you can look at my ankle if it means that much to you, but I’m gonna keep this gun on you all the time. One funny move and I’ll shoot you.”

“All right, that’s a deal.” Ben didn’t have the heart to tell her that with an automatic of that type, one first had to cock it before it would fire. She had not cocked it.

She seems reasonable, and I mean that in a completely nonsarcastic way. He treats the ankle and get’s a name out of her, Jerre hunter.

quote:

hurt as bad as my ankle hurts.” Ben laughed at her. “You can put that pistol away, too, Jerre. It’s not going to fire unless you cock it first.”

She laughed with him. “Doesn’t have any bullets in it, anyway. Least I think it doesn’t. I don’t know how to load it.” She tossed the pistol into the ditch.

The automatic bounced off a large rock, fired, and blew a chunk of wood out of a tree. Ben looked at her and slowly shook his head.

Jerre doesn’t really get firearms safety.

Jeere is another type of interchangeable stock figure. The strong female character. It doesn’t really go much deeper than that, but it’s comparable to most of the male characters so it doesn’t stand out to much. As with race, Ben doesn’t really care about gender so much as if they agree with him.

quote:

“You want to know something else, Ben? I mean, on top of all this stupid war stuff, there is no music.”

“By music, you mean rock and roll?”

“Is there any other kind of music?”

“I wasn’t aware rock and roll was music.”

“She cocked her head, blond hair falling over one eye, and stared at him for a time. “I think, Ben Raines, if we’re going to be friends, we’d better not discuss our tastes in music.”

“At least until you grow up.” He smiled at her.

“Whatever.”

The conversation turns to travel, she’s walking instead of driving because no hurry on getting anywhere. They talk about clean bombs, the triple cross, the army waiting for him.

quote:

“Where are they?”

“I have no idea, Jerre. It wasn’t my idea.”

“I heard rumors of the Rebels. Just a little bit. Are they radical people?”

“I don’t believe so. Law-and-order types, I’m sure. But Bull Dean was no radical.”

“But he advocated the overthrow of the government, Ben. That’s pretty radical, don’t you think?” Ben slowly nodded his head. “Yes ... yes, that’s true. But one would have to know the Bull, what made him tick. He would not have assumed power for any length of time. What Bull wanted was a return to law and order and morals and discipline. He wasn’t a Castro or some two-bit dictator; just a man who believed very strongly in a government of the people, for the people, and more importantly, by the people.”

“I don’t believe we’ve had that type of government in a long time, Ben. Do you?”

“No,” he said quickly and flatly. “Government got too big— too powerful. Agencies like the IRS had entirely too much power. Same with most government agencies. Well, it’s all moot, now.” “But ... what’s that line, Ben, about ashes?”
“Tabb. ‘Out of the dead, cold ashes, life again.”’

“Snap judgment time, Ben Raines.” She looked at him, her gaze serious. “I think you’re a pretty good man— decent guy. I think you’ll probably link up with those Rebels.”
“No way, Jerre.”

She talks about her family, the next door neighbor who was going to take care of her, him trying to get liquored up, her killing the guy in her escape. She’s not a virgin, but she’s not going to give it up randomly. Then there’s this next bit.

quote:

“And do you know where I went? Where the damned car quit on me? Smart me! To Wheeling. Talk about a case of the dumb-rear end. There was a mob of thugs roaming around. And you know they spotted me. You ever seen one little blond-headed girl trying to break the four-minute mile while being chased by fifty guys, all with their peckers out?”

This is an incredibly silly image.

quote:

I mean, sex is good--terrific when everything is right--but I don’t go around thinking about it all the time. Men do, though, don’t they? Sure they do.”

“I don’t know that we think about it all the time,” Ben said slowly. But a man is damned sure ready at a second’s notice.” He felt a little ashamed of himself, for he had already mentally undressed Jerre.

And she’s just a touch separatist.

quote:

She had replied, “It wasn’t just blacks chasing me in Wheeling; some of those guys were pretty decent-looking men. But I think I can understand how your brother and his friends feel.”

“Oh?”

“Sure. That doesn’t mean I agree with them— I don’t; I think they’re wrong. But I don’t believe blacks and whites will ever get along. I mean, it’s too late, now. But that’s the way I feel.”

“Then in college I had friends of different nationalities, lots of them: East Indian, Thai, Vietnamese, Arabs, American Indians ... oh, you know what I mean ... lots of different people.”

Ben waited for her to drop the other shoe.

“But I never had a black friend. Do you know why that is, Ben Raines, big-time-author-of-some-importance? And a general, to boot.”

He laughed. “You tell me, Jerre Hunter, girl-who-broke-the-four-minute-mile-while-being-chased-by-fifty-guys-with-their-peckers-out.”

She giggled, then laughed, then put her hand on his forearm. She sobered. “I’m leveling with you, Ben— I don’t know. Lots of reasons, I think. One: I don’t like to walk down the halls of my school and have half a dozen black guys say, ‘Hey, baby! You wanna gently caress?’ And that’s happened, Ben. All over this country. But the newspeople, oh, they wouldn’t report anything like that. Or maybe it’s because when one of us is asked out by a black guy and we say no, we’re automatically accused of being a racist. Well, a little of that goes a long way. Does it ever occur to people that the choice of dating is up to the person being asked? That chemistry has a lot to do with it? But Ben, I’ve seen black guys I’d go out with— but they never asked me. It’s like the one bad apple, I guess. I don’t think you’re a racist, but what I’ve said sure makes me seem like one, and I’m not. I guess ... I don’t like to be pushed. I choose my friends— they don’t choose me.” She shook her head. “I’m not saying this right.”

“No, Jerre, I don’t believe you’re a racist. You’re not the type.” Is there a type? he silently questioned.

This goes on for some time.

quote:

“I said education is the key to solving problems, Ben. But … I don’t believe you can have one set of rules for some people and another set for other people

And he accidentally lands on the point, black people have to live by an entirely different lovely set of rules.

Then they gently caress.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

She said she was 19!

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Well, she'd be safe from post apocalyptic wandering authors John Ringo and Piers Anthony at least.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I like how Ben first smugs out about being completely safe because the pistol needs to be cocked, while at the same time also not noticing that it evidently already has been cocked because otherwise it wouldn't have fired when dropped. Looks like Johnston was just so eager to get in another "silly wimmin don't know guns" dig that he never even noticed it made his protagonist look pretty incompetent himself.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It could be an open bolt type. Won't fire from the trigger without cocking but a sharp knock to the bolt could have it discharge from closed.

It's hard to say from "with an automatic of that type", I would have expected more specific gun:spergin: given the rest of the book so far.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Phyein posted:

God this poo poo is just embarrasing. I love it. Its such a prototypical American conservative fantasy. It gets me thinking, based on the fundamentals of both the story and how it relates to American conservatism, is there a liberal equivalent to this fantasy and line of thinking, on par in terms of prevalence in liberal belief and ridiculous fantasy? The closest thing I can think of is "history", which isnt exactly a good analouge for this drivel (since history and fantasy are pretty much opposites).
Ooo, ooo, a couple of pages late but I know an example. Sheri Tepper's SF/fantasy.

Her earlier books weren't too bad, but her more recent ones dear lord they're loving INSANE, and I speak as a pinko-eco-feminist-librul-etc. The stereotypical Tepper novel will start with a nice woman being oppressed by a) societal expectations, b) male relatives and c) looming eco-disaster, then at some point making friends with a powerful alien force that eats all the gun-totin' eco-unfriendly misogynists at the end.

Six Moon Dance is a particularly glorious example for the ending, where we find out that the author is perfectly cool with a planetary government selling girl babies to men on other planets because those are frontier planets where women are prized so of COURSE they'll be looked after.

(I'd realized she was barking mad and morally loathsome a couple of books before and was reading that one purely to see how bad it got, and I can say with perfect confidence that I never imagined it would get THAT bad.)

joe football
Dec 22, 2012
The weird, inappropriate for the situation political/social conversation makes more sense if Ben is actually a scary-seeming unhinged survivalist instead of a calm, clearheaded good samaritan and the girl is desperately trying to placate him

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Runcible Cat posted:

Ooo, ooo, a couple of pages late but I know an example. Sheri Tepper's SF/fantasy.

Her earlier books weren't too bad, but her more recent ones dear lord they're loving INSANE, and I speak as a pinko-eco-feminist-librul-etc. The stereotypical Tepper novel will start with a nice woman being oppressed by a) societal expectations, b) male relatives and c) looming eco-disaster, then at some point making friends with a powerful alien force that eats all the gun-totin' eco-unfriendly misogynists at the end.

Six Moon Dance is a particularly glorious example for the ending, where we find out that the author is perfectly cool with a planetary government selling girl babies to men on other planets because those are frontier planets where women are prized so of COURSE they'll be looked after.

(I'd realized she was barking mad and morally loathsome a couple of books before and was reading that one purely to see how bad it got, and I can say with perfect confidence that I never imagined it would get THAT bad.)

Is it Let's Read worthy bad and is she big like Terry Goodkind or something?

The dialogue makes all of the sense since basically 90% of surviving men are some crazy rapevivalists

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

JcDent posted:

Is it Let's Read worthy bad and is she big like Terry Goodkind or something?
Hugo-nominated, World Fantasy Award for Life Achievement-winning, so a lot better received critically, though never quite as bestselling. And died in October, as I've only just found out, so I feel kind of like I'm punching down now, but hey.

I don't think it's Let's Read material - I think that needs a, well, fairly even distribution of awful poo poo to make it worthwhile, while Tepper tends to keep the awful poo poo in big infrequent lumps to hit you hard with. In between her characters are relatable, her prose is decent, her earlier books range from decent to really bloody good but once you realise how batshit she is you can see the traces of the batshittiness in them too.

Maybe a chapter-by-chapter of Six Moon Dance would have enough in to make a not-very-longlasting Let's Read, but it's been a long time since I read it and I can only remember 2 really glorious batshit bits in it - they are hilariously ghastly, but I don't think they're enough to hang a thread on. Maybe I should reread it and do a review for the bad books thread in the spirit of the Ferretbrain review of an even later and batshittier Tepper book, Waters Rising: http://ferretbrain.com/articles/article-938

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Here's all you need to know about Tepper:

Strange Horizons Interview posted:

NS: When Sheri becomes Head Queen, what three things will get changed first?

SST: 1. A Court of Equity will be set up that can overrule the Supreme Court. The judges will have to know history and science and ethics. They will pay no attention to the law. Their job will be to decide not what is lawful, but what is just. Or, failing that, what is least unjust based on reality, not on theory. If a law doesn't work, the Court of Equity can abolish it, just like that. They can act in any case where injustice is believed to exist.

2. The Court of Equity shall define humanity more strictly. Merely being born to human parents in a reasonably human shape will not be sufficient. Human beings have to have certain attributes: most importantly, being a humane creature. Humans cannot purposefully injure others. They have to be capable, once adults, of controlling what they do. Persons who look human but who are uncontrollable or who habitually hurt other people will no longer be defined as human. Every person born of human parents is not necessarily human. Those born to other parents might be, however. Probably the bonobos are human. Whales and dolphins may very well be human. I have met some very humanlike dogs and cats. Mere language does not define humanity.

3. The idea that a term in prison "pays a debt to society" shall be stricken from the vocabulary. Persons who are not human must be perpetually separated from society. People who purposefully hurt others may not—ever—be released to move about in society. This includes crazy people, alcoholics, and addicts who cannot be permanently cured. None of this, "Oh, he's fine when he's on his meds, but he forgets to take his medicine." People who traffic in arms and drugs, wife beaters, serial rapists, pedophiles, and their ilk are included. Walled cities will be built in the wastelands and all nonhuman persons will be sterilized and sent to live there, together, raising their own food. There will be no traffic in, no traffic out, except for studies that may be done which might lead to a "cure." There will be no chat about this sequestration being "inhumane," because the persons so confined are not human by definition. (Aren't you really sick of reading about some guy who's been arrested six times for driving drunk and finally jailed after killing a family of five, and now he's getting out because he's "paid his debt to society"? Who thought up that idiocy?) The cities for nonhumans will not get overcrowded because the inhabitants will probably kill each other off fairly regularly.

Thus concludeth the reading of the scripture. If you consider it ungodly, reread the Old Testament concerning the conquest of Canaan.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Runcible Cat posted:

Hugo-nominated, World Fantasy Award for Life Achievement-winning, so a lot better received critically, though never quite as bestselling. And died in October, as I've only just found out, so I feel kind of like I'm punching down now, but hey.

I don't think it's Let's Read material - I think that needs a, well, fairly even distribution of awful poo poo to make it worthwhile, while Tepper tends to keep the awful poo poo in big infrequent lumps to hit you hard with. In between her characters are relatable, her prose is decent, her earlier books range from decent to really bloody good but once you realise how batshit she is you can see the traces of the batshittiness in them too.

Maybe a chapter-by-chapter of Six Moon Dance would have enough in to make a not-very-longlasting Let's Read, but it's been a long time since I read it and I can only remember 2 really glorious batshit bits in it - they are hilariously ghastly, but I don't think they're enough to hang a thread on. Maybe I should reread it and do a review for the bad books thread in the spirit of the Ferretbrain review of an even later and batshittier Tepper book, Waters Rising: http://ferretbrain.com/articles/article-938

You want vile Let's Read Material? Find some Tom Kratman.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

flosofl posted:

Here's all you need to know about Tepper:

Maybe this person overall represents an extreme example of crazy liberal ideas but permanent prison city exile for all violent criminals doesn't sound like the best example of that.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
'Eco-fascist' gets thrown around a lot but I think "human rights for some primates and dolphins and no human rights for some humans, plus throw the mentally ill and drug users into giant prison camps full of rapists and murderers" probably fits that.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
Has anyone here read "Ecotopia" by any chance? Holy poo poo that's a lovely book.

Throwing Turtles
May 3, 2015
Chapter 9

They gently caress some more, walked on the beach, built a sandcastle and it’s really uncomfortable.

quote:

“You’re really a hot little number,” Ben kidded her. “Must have had a repressive childhood.”

“Either that, or I just like to screw.” She smiled. “You dirty old man.”

And

quote:

In that cabin, for the next three days, they forgot the world existed (not much of it did). Jerre complimented Ben, his chest swelling with pride when she told him he was amply endowed in the male department— she’d never seen one so big. Then, giggling, she told him she’d only seen two before his and he chased her out of the cabin onto the beach.

The sex in these books reminds me of the prostitutes in Witcher 2. It’s there, adds nothing, is pretty loving creepy, and you feel dirty after the fact.

They move on, to find better winter quarters. The smell of corpses went away. We learn about the fate of dogs.

quote:

Packs of dogs roamed the countryside, quickly turning wild, reverting to the survival instinct, never quite fully bred out of them: the German shepherd, the Doberman, the husky, the malamute, the pit bull, the boxer, the chow. Lesser, smaller breeds died for the most part: the little poodles, the Chihuahuas, certain breeds of collie— almost all toy breeds were no more. Working breeds lived.

This is probably a metaphor.

Ben expects rabies to be a problem in a few months, and I don’t know enough about the disease to say he’s right or wrong.

Jeere upfront about her expectations.

quote:

“When I feel I’m getting too attached to you, Ben, I’ll leave. Walk away, and not look back, even though I’ll want to look back— not go. I’ll survive, General—’ cause you’ll teach me that. If I had any sense, I’d stay with you, despite the difference in our ages. But right now, I’m cute to you. I don’t talk like you and I’m young and kind of have a bad mouth. Cute. But that cute would get frayed around the edges pretty quick, I’m thinking.”

Smart kid, he thought.

“So what I want you to do, General, is teach me to survive. ’Cause ... well, I have some things to do after a while. We won’t talk about them now. For now, we’ll stop along the way and you pick me out a gun, teach me how to shoot it; teach me how to spot those who are going to hurt me— if you can, and I think you have that instinct built in. Then . . . when the time comes, I’ll cut out. I’ll tell you about it, Ben— when the time is right.”

They find a sporting goods store.

quote:

At a sporting goods store outside of Richmond, Ben found a cache of illegal pistols, just as he had in every sporting goods store at which he’d stopped. Obviously, as could have been predicted (and was) not too many people really paid much attention to the gun-control act of Hilton Logan.
He picked out a nine-shot .22 magnum revolver and a belt and holster for her, then handed her the gear. “Get the feel of this. Point it, cock it, dry-fire it, and go boom-boom. If you can point your finger, you can fire a pistol. I’m going to put together a pack for you: ground sheet, light tent, sleeping bag. I’ll fix you a stash of dehyd food later on ... when I sense you’re ready to pull out.”

He also finds a couple of Ingram submachine guns, a couple of 9-mm automatic pistols and a 7-mm bolt-action rifle. It occurs to me that in his situation , where you have to work with people , having a pile of poo poo to trade would be ideal.

Jerre sees him with the guns

quote:

“You planning on starting a war, Ben Raines?” Jerre asked him.

“No.” He laughed at the seriousness on her face.

“But a thought just occurred to me: when is the last time you had a fresh steak?” She smiled and licked her lips. “Not since all the trouble began.” “We will tonight,” he promised her.

The CB offers background noise.

quote:

They skirted Richmond, searching the bands on the CB for chatter. The talk was rough: Killin’ niggers and killin’ honkies and lookin’ for pussy.

“That is so sad,” Jerre commented. “The whole world is in a state of chaos; no telling how many millions of people are dead. We don’t have a government— nothing, and all those ... fools can think of is old hatreds and prejudices and raping and looting.”

“Those are the bad people, Jerre; they’ve been here all along. They always surface after or during a tragedy. There are, I believe, lots of good people left alive.” “Then where are they?” “Staying low, keeping out of sight,waiting for the trash and the scum to kill each other off.

That last bit is interesting in that it never happens. Starting in book two, everybody adheres to a pretty strict alignment system. The bad guys are all chaotic evil so they all work together. KKK and militant black separatists, they're both evil so they work together.

They find a pasture with cattle.

quote:

“Pick your dinner, Jerre.”

She pointed.

“No that’s a bull. Let’s leave him to do his thing.
A cow came up to them, lowing softly, looking at them through soft liquid eyes.

“Oh, Jesus Christ, Ben! I can’t watch this.”

Ben cocked his .45 and shot the animal. The cow’s legs buckled and she fell to the ground, quivering and dying.

“You son of a bitch!”

When Ben replied, his voice was bland. “Welcome to Safeway dear.”

She gets over herself by dinnertime. Now a little farm out in the country would be the perfect place to find somebody pissed about you killing their cow. It never really comes up.

Talking about how people without training expect to survive.

quote:

“People are tougher than even they suspect,” Ben said. “I think we all have a ... hidden reserve in us; a well of strength that only surfaces in some sort of catastrophe. I also believe that in the long run, good will defeat evil.”

Talk turns to Ben’s Nazi brother

quote:

“Dad raised us to be resourceful, but to be kind to those less fortunate, not to be mean to others.” He thought of his brother in Chicago. “Maybe Carl forgot what Dad taught us.”

“Maybe your brother did, Ben. Forget, I mean. But you’re only looking at the bad he is doing, or contemplating doing. I don’t agree with what he’s doing, but every coin has two sides. Look at the other side.

“Maybe your brother got tired of not being able to walk down the street at night without fear of being mugged, or his wife and daughter being raped. Maybe he got tired of seeing criminals and thugs and street punks being treated like they were something special instead of what they are: just sorry bastards. Maybe he got tired of seeing his taxes go to support criminals instead of their victims. It’s a long list, Ben, and you know it as well as I. Criminals being provided extensive law libraries so they can look for a loophole to get out of prison. I think that’s wrong. I’m no screaming liberal, Ben. I think if you do the crime, you’ve got to be prepared to do the time.
Crime and punishment take up a lot of space in these books. Discussing it mostly. Criminals having access to the law as it's written seems pretty important. I don't think he intends to argue for secret law here, but he did a pretty good job of it.

quote:

“He said that someday, in the near future, he believed, if the courts didn’t stop pampering criminals, and return to the public their right to defend themselves, the citizens were going to take matters into their own hands and start dealing with punks in a very swift and hard fashion, and to hell with the judicial system. He said it started back in the late seventies with neighborhood watch programs and citizens’ patrols and what have you. And he said it was a disgrace the courts had let the law-abiding, tax-paying citizens down so rudely, and, he said, so arrogantly.

thought. “Oh,” she said, “one more thing: he said rich or poor, for our judicial to work, the laws have to be the same. And he said it would probably take a revolution to accomplish that. And he said we had too many laws on the books and too many loopholes.

I'm not sure when privilege became a key component in understanding racism. Nobody told me about it when I was a kid, but then the people who cared probably wouldn't be inclined to tell me. But just because somebody hasn't labeled it doesn't mean it didn't exist. These last couple of paragraphs are pretty much the perfect example.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
I'm really enjoying this thread and look forward to continuing the saga of Sergeant Major Author-Insert. The best part is having OP pick out the crazy instead of doing it myself.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Was this published around the time the Death Wish movies were a thing?

Throwing Turtles
May 3, 2015

PJOmega posted:

Was this published around the time the Death Wish movies were a thing?

It came out in 1983 so about the time Death Wish 3 was out.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

"You know Ben Raines, I'm not racist but maybe the KKK had some ideas."

JcDent
May 13, 2013

I wonder how these people would explain Eastern Europe, where all the punks and rapists and whatever are all white.

On the other hand, I dunno how humane our treatment of criminals is, so maybe they'd view it as an example to follow.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

JcDent posted:

I wonder how these people would explain Eastern Europe, where all the punks and rapists and whatever are all white.

On the other hand, I dunno how humane our treatment of criminals is, so maybe they'd view it as an example to follow.

They're all liberals.

Edit

Also they'd link you to articles about the German New Years rapes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throwing Turtles
May 3, 2015
Next in Petersburg we meet one of the less common stock characters. The corrupt religious figure.

quote:

And it was there Ben found the first organization geared toward rebuilding. But neither Ben nor Jerre wanted any part of this group. The leader was a Fundamentalist preacher (Ben didn’t ask of what) who reminded Ben of a certain member of the old Moral Majority (title self-proclaimed). This one was too slick, too glib, too quick with a smile— an answer for everything.

“That guy makes my skin crawl,” Jerre observed. “Let’s get the hell out of here.”

They don’t stick around.

After a couple of weeks she drops this.

quote:

“Let’s pack it up, Ben. Head west. O.K.?” “O.K., babe. How far west and any particular reason for that direction?” She nodded. “Time to level with you, General.” She tried a smile that didn’t make it. “I heard on the road that kids were going to gather at the university at Chapel Hill the first and second weeks of November. The word was passed up and down the line. The reason ... ? Ben, I don’t want to hurt your feelings, and please don’t take this the wrong way, but—”

“But the adults screwed up the world and maybe you young people can do better this time around,” Ben finished it for her.

“You’re a wise man, Ben Raines.”

“I’m a survivor, Jerre.”

“Am I, Ben?

“I think you’ll make it, babe.”

They head west, she leaves a note while he pretends to sleep. She walks out of the story.

quote:

Jerre’s note posted:

I don’t know what my feelings are toward you, Ben. I like you a whole lot and I think I probably love you a little bit. That’s a joke— I think I probably love you a whole lot. That’s one of the reasons I’ve got to split. There are other reasons, of course, but my feelings toward you are right up there at the top.

You’ve got places to go and things to do before you find yourself— your goal, preset, I believe— and start to do great things.

And you will, Ben. You will. I hope I see you again, General. Jerre
He packed his gear and pulled out. Had he turned north, instead of south, he would have found her sitting at the side of the road, crying, looking down at the empty road. Looking sounth

• Locked thread