Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Lol what garbage. Is there any showing in this book, as opposed to telling in the most stilted prose possible?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throwing Turtles
May 3, 2015

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Lol what garbage. Is there any showing in this book, as opposed to telling in the most stilted prose possible?

Yes, but most of it at this point is incidental. Like there is this bit in the next update

quote:

“How ... ah ... do I scramble this thing?” “On which end, sir?” “Both ends!” “What is the number on the transmitter facing?” Ben looked, found about forty-eight different numbers. He settled on the largest number that seemed permanent.

“Look to your left, sir,” the voice told him. “A switch with the word ‘scramble’ just above it. Flip the switch.” Ben looked. There it was. He felt like an idiot. “Some general I am,” he muttered. Keying the mike, he said, “Am I scrambled?”

“Repeat sir.” Ben repeated.

“Scrambled now, sir.”

Most of it isn't even this relevant, it's setting up camp, or changing a tire. Most of that gets cut.

Throwing Turtles
May 3, 2015
Chapter 10
Ben’s coping. There isn’t much emotional content in these books, and even Jerre’s departure is pretty rare for the books. Most of his companions die or turn traitor and then die. So seeing her get to choose something other than with me or against me for a third option is rare.

quote:

He wished the young people well, but did not believe they would accomplish a thing. Except get themselves killed. Back in 1960, when Ben was sixteen years old, he had believed in Camelot. But the years of combat and of seeing the mute silence of the dead and the screaming of the wounded and the starvation of people in parts of Africa had convinced him that only the toughest survive--there is not, there was not such a place as Camelot.

But, he thought, forcing a grin, let the young people try; maybe they can build a better world from out of the ashes. God knows the last two generations sure hosed this one up.

Ben spends most of his life in two emotional states. War is hell and I love it, and, war is hell and you can’t do anything about it.

Gun stuff.

quote:

...he spent the rest of the day practicing with the M-10 and getting the feel of the 9-mm pistol. Benc concluded the little SMG did not have the knockdown power of the heavy old Thompson, or the range, but it was lighter and easier to handle. He elected to stay with it.

The Barrel extension/silencer increased the range a few yards-- about sixty-five yards max-- and made the weapon easier to control, for the padded extension/silencer served much as a rifle fore-end. Without it, the Ingram made a hell of a racket. Even with it, it sounded like a fast-quacking duck with a speech impediment.

The friends who introduced me to this were also my gaming group. The most popular game was this spastic apocalypse based homebrew. You made a character or team, which was usually a name with a collection of equipment. Stats existed but were usually ignored for a 50-50 chance of success. The game took place in our home town of Reno, so we broke out the road map and had a death match.

The other thing that made it unique is the GM sat in another room and each player had their turn in secret until it came time to fight then both players went in the other room. It was based mostly on these books, and the Star Trek rpg that was out at the time. In retrospect it also worked as a metaphor, the only thing that matters is the name and the list of guns.

quote:

...he arrives at Shaw Air Force Base, thinking surely, of all places, there would be life here; a military organized disciplined order to things.

...Finally in the service club, Ben found four men playing cards. A general, a captain, and two sergeants. They did not seem at all surprised to see him. They tossed the deck of cards on the table, shook hands and introduced themselves.

“Is this it?”

“Meaning all life on this base?” the general asked. “Yep. What you see is what you get.”

Ben told them what he was doing, attempting to do.

“Very admirable of you,” the captain said. “But who in the hell is going to read it?”

“There are a number of people still alive, Ben told him. “Probably a lot more then we realize.”

“Oh, sure,” the general said. “I figure maybe ...oh… twenty to thirty million here in the States. Hee, me and Jake here”-- he jerked his thumb toward the captain--”have flown all over the states during the past six weeks or so--been in voice contact with hundreds of people. You know the Rebels are looking for you?”
Ben’s special because Bull picked him, Ben doesn’t want to be in charge.

quote:

”You know that when the military gets it all together --take another ninety to one hundred twenty days--that craphead Logan will be named president.”

“So I hear. I can’t think of anything more appalling for the country.”

“I agree.”

“Then …?” Ben looked at the general.

“Why Logan? Hell, it’s a joke. He’s the only one left, we think. He ran like a scared rabbit and ducked into a hole. The others went up with Washington and the suburbs. I flew over what’s left of our great boondoggle. It’s awesome, boy, awesome.”

So Logan is about to assume the presidency. I don’t know how the line of succession to the presidency works once you reached the last in line, which in this time would be the secretary of Education. But I think you could make a pretty good case for a senator stepping in.

But this brings up another point. None of the people in charge tried to preserve the government. They had warning. They could have done something to maximize their chance maintaining the government. Instead they decided to go on stupid suicide missions that wouldn’t have changed poo poo even if they pulled them off perfectly.

quote:

…”one of you people take over; don’t give it to Logan”

The general shook his head. “No way, Raines. No way. And we talked it over. There’s twenty six generals and four admirals who came out of it alive--all branches of the service. That includes retirees… No way, Raines.” The general smiled. “Besides, way I heard it, Logan has a plan for the U.S. to come out on top after this tragedy.”

“Let me guess, General.” Ben’s tone was icy.

“I figured you’d want a shot at it, boy.”

Ben resisted an urge to tell the general that he was no “boy.” The general, at most, was about six years older than Ben. But rank has a way of doing that to some men.

“It wasn’t a double or even a triple cross Adams was pulling off--it was more than that. “

“I always figured Logan was hiding something. I never did like or trust that man. He’s a pseudoliberal, isn’t he?”
Pseudoliberal is a weird term.

Ok this convoluted plan breaks down like this. Logan enlisted Adams to trick the rebels into supporting him, in case he lost the presidency.

quote:

But everything went haywire: coups all over the world; a minor revolt in Russia; the Thunder-strikes; the Rebs in the sub.”

quote:

“Logan is going in to help all the poor third-world nations after he gets you people organized, isn’t he, General.”
“It’ll take… oh … four to six years. Maybe eight.”

“To colonize.”

“Ugly word, Raines.”

This is another place where Johnstone is pretty consistent. It's not just that he's an isolationist, he also recognizes that when we go to help another country we don't always have their best interests in mind.

quote:

“You were part of it, weren’t you, General?” Again, the nod.

“But...why?”

“Oh, hell, Raines. Nobody really likes niggers or Jews or greasers. They’re all gently caress-ups. They’re not equals. We’ll use them to serve us, work for us, but not side by side. And that isn’t my plan— that’s Logan’s plan.”

“Separate but not quite equal, eh?”

“More or less.”

“It’ll never work, General.”

The general’s face brightened. “Sure it will, boy. You don’t know the American people like I know them. Deep down, boy, we’re the master race. Besides, we’ve got the guns— most of them. And the military will be revered in our society— not like it used to be. Logan plans to resettle the people, reeducate them, kind of reprogram them, so to speak. All at the same time he’s offering the hand of good fellowship to the jungle-bunnies in Africa.” “Changing the subject momentarily, General— you don’t mind if I stall for a bit more time?”

“Not at all, since you’re not leaving this club alive.” The general’s eyes were hard.

Ben had the tape recorder on the entire time. I’m just going to assume he runs it every time he talks to somebody. Then he shoots them. Is killed by exposition a thing, it seems like it should be a thing.

Ben heads to the communications center and dials up the rebels.

quote:

“This is Ben Raines,” he spoke slowly. I hear you people have been looking for me.”

“How do we know you’re Ben Raines? A voice jumped back at him. “We’ve had two dozen crank callers.”

“How to I know you’re who you claim to be?” Ben challenged.

The Bull told us about the last time you two saw each other. He shouted something to you as he stood in the door. We know what he said. And if you’re Ben Raines so will you. Do you remember those two words?

“Bold Strike” Ben said

“Sorry, General Raines, sir. But we had to be certain. Lots of snooping going on.”

We find out that the person manning the radio is Lieutenant Conger, and that Bull was his uncle. There are rebels organized nation wide waiting for orders, which according to the way Bull set them up can only come from him. Not sure what they would have done had he died, his survival was pretty much a fluke.

This starts a very long running joke. Ben doesn’t want to be a general and keeps insisting that he’s not, which is ignored by everybody.

Lieutenant Conger is actually pretty competent.

quote:

“Where are you, sir? I need your location so I can send some personnel to guard you until you link up with us.”

“Guard me? Goddamn it, I don’t need anyone to guard me!”

The voice was silent for a few seconds and Ben was sure he had broken off transmission. “Yes, sir. You said General Ruther, sir? That’d be Shaw AFB. We’ll have our South Carolina contingent pick you up as soon as possible.I-”

Ben loses his poo poo and tries to appoint Conger commanding office. Conger isn’t taking any of his poo poo and insists he take over.

The do manage to work out a first step. The rebels are going to steal or destroy every plane they can find with the intent to cripple Logan’s ability to operate overseas.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Out of curiosity, roughly how many pages into the book are we at this point and how long is the book?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

This whole rebel thing is making less and less sense all the time. As is Logan's evil plan. If he's an evul leftist shouldn't it be that he wants to help the USSR or like some random African country conquer the USA?

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Is it ever explained why the military reveres this guy so much? He apparently spent two years as a mercenary and I guess a few years before that in active service in the military? He doesn't even seem particularly patriotic given a mildly successful book-writing career was enough to make him reject participation in a revolution that he seemed to fully agree with on ideological grounds, and his only stated reaction to the nuclear holocaust appears to be a mixture of bemusement and smug satisfaction.

Is there ever some kind of expository dump where some side character actually lays out the specific reasons that this guy is the ideal leader? So ideal, in fact, that even after a nuclear holocaust you'd be moving heaven and earth to tr and find him so he can take over?

Obviously the answer is that the author is a hack and, even by the standards of hack authors, is doing a poor job of setting up motivations for his characters. Just look at how he handles that young girl the protagonist hooks up with -- she sticks around exactly long enough to repeat a bunch of really racist garbage and to compliment our author-inserts big dick, and then she implausibly decides to go it alone in a rape-haunted post apocalyptic hellscape (also how did our ultimate bad-rear end main character not wake up when she packed her poo poo and left in the middle of the night?). Still, I'm curious whether the author ever tries to actually justify why he's going to inherit an entire army?

Throwing Turtles
May 3, 2015

Helsing posted:

Out of curiosity, roughly how many pages into the book are we at this point and how long is the book?

So the way the book is broken up is pretty uneven.

Part one had six fairly short chapters.
Part two started at page 72 and has eighteen chapters.
Part three starts on page 352 and has no chapters.
The book has 475 pages.

The series does not follow the formula of the first book. The first book sets everything up at which point it settles down into it's normal routine. It also get's really repetitive so I'm going to try and find the best example of "Bed does a thing" and trim the rest out.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Throwing Turtles posted:

Yes, but most of it at this point is incidental. Like there is this bit in the next update

Most of it isn't even this relevant, it's setting up camp, or changing a tire. Most of that gets cut.

Author is way down on his milspeak, should be "say again" not "repeat".

Throwing Turtles
May 3, 2015

Helsing posted:

Is it ever explained why the military reveres this guy so much? He apparently spent two years as a mercenary and I guess a few years before that in active service in the military? He doesn't even seem particularly patriotic given a mildly successful book-writing career was enough to make him reject participation in a revolution that he seemed to fully agree with on ideological grounds, and his only stated reaction to the nuclear holocaust appears to be a mixture of bemusement and smug satisfaction.

Is there ever some kind of expository dump where some side character actually lays out the specific reasons that this guy is the ideal leader? So ideal, in fact, that even after a nuclear holocaust you'd be moving heaven and earth to tr and find him so he can take over?

Obviously the answer is that the author is a hack and, even by the standards of hack authors, is doing a poor job of setting up motivations for his characters. Just look at how he handles that young girl the protagonist hooks up with -- she sticks around exactly long enough to repeat a bunch of really racist garbage and to compliment our author-inserts big dick, and then she implausibly decides to go it alone in a rape-haunted post apocalyptic hellscape (also how did our ultimate bad-rear end main character not wake up when she packed her poo poo and left in the middle of the night?). Still, I'm curious whether the author ever tries to actually justify why he's going to inherit an entire army?

Bull was the one everybody respected, and after his partner turned traitor he picked Raines to lead because he fought with him in Vietnam, and Raines was the only one outside of it all that he could trust.

Later on, and I'm like 70% sure I'm not making this up, it goes into a bit more detail about what he was doing in Africa, independent contractor for the CIA, and his activities there are pretty well known for what was probably a secret mission.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

He's got Reluctant Hero written all over him so of course they expect him to lead them to renewed glory.

Throwing Turtles
May 3, 2015

quote:

Ben prowled the base until he found the ordinance hut. He broke open the building and began picking through the explosives. He was too rusty to trust himself if he used any type of timer, so he chose several crates of incendiary grenades and began the job of filling five-gallons cans full of high-octane jet fuel and pouring some around the line of jets on the tarmac. He then began the job of destroying the aircraft.

When he had finished, he was covered with soot and hard of hearing from the booming explosions. This was one runway that would be a long time cleared and repaired.

He then drove around the base, tossing grenades into every other building, and setting the base ablaze. He drove out the main gate, smiling. He said, “gently caress you, Logan”

He get’s back to randomly roaming the country and forgetting that people are waiting on him.

quote:

Just a few miles outside of Jessup, at a roadside picnic area where he had stopped to eat a can of C-ration, Ben heard a growling. He turned slowly, picking up the M010 with his right hand.

At first he thought it was a wolf sitting in the bed of the truck, on a tarp-covered crate, and peering over the side at him. Ben took a closer look and could see its upturned tail. This was not a husky, he concluded, but a malamute, the largest of the breed. The dog looked to be about thirty-two inches high, about eighty to ninety pounds. Big. It was wolf-gray with a black mask area around its almond-shaped eyes.

The animal yawned, exposing teeth that could tear a man to painful chunks of meat very quickly. Then the malamute closed his mouth and looked at Ben. It was neither friendly nor hostile, just curious. Ben dumped what was left of his C-ration into a piece of paper and placed it on the ground beside him.

“Come on,” he said.

The dog jumped from the truck and walked to the food, eating it in two bites. He looked up at Ben, as if asking, but not begging, for more. Ben opened another can and dumped that on the paper. The animal ate, then walked to the ditch beside the small park and enjoyed a noisy drink of water. His thirst quenched, he walked back to the truck, jumped up into the bed, and lay down, closing his eyes as if he had been doing that, on this truck, all his life.

Probably belonged to someone who rode it around in a pickup truck, Ben thought.

“Well,” Ben said, “if you want to ride, you can damned well ride. I’m not going to tell you to move.”

The dog opened its eyes, looked at Ben, then went back to sleep.

“Looks like I found a friend”

This is another stock character that shows up in the books and seeing as they are all dogs they are all pretty likable. This dog is named Juno according to the tag on his collar.

quote:

Ben’s sleep that night was deep and secure, for the animal was attuned to the nights every noise. During the night, Juno had snuggle up to Ben’s sleeping bag, the closeness and warmth comforting to both man and beast.
Lost a girlfriend and found a dog. Ben smiled as he drifted off to sleep.

Juno met his new master’s reproachful scratching with a look of doggie disgust, as if saying, “What the hell? Lay down with dogs, what do you expect?”

At the first town they came to that morning, Ben picked up a supply of flea powder and spray, and several flea collars. Then he bathed both Juno and himself and that solved the problem of fleas.

Ben starts finding bodies, fresh bodies.

quote:

been shot. A few miles down the highway, Ben found a body hanging from a tree alongside the road. A crudely lettered sign hung around the neck read: friend of the family.

Further on, he found the body of a white man hanging from a tree. The sign around his neck read: JUSTICE WILL PREVAIL.

“Wonderful,” Ben remarked. “I am so happy to find our judicial system— inadequate as it was— is still flourishing.” He drove quickly out of that part of the state.

Even Juno seemed relieved to be on the move.

He notices signs indicating a prison, and he checks it out, but the smell and the buzzards convince him not to stop. He meets a few people and sees some damage. I’m not condensing that, it’s what the text says.

quote:

He wandered the northern part of the state, all the way over to Hampton Springs, seeing a few people, some friendly, some hostile. He saw signs of looting and violence everywhere he went.

The looting comment is kind of weird considering that’s how he’s staying alive. Maybe he meant a different kind of looting.

He finds a radio station, with actual music.

quote:

“Yes, sir, folks, it’s a bright, beautiful day here in the city with the titties. Temperature in the mid-seventies and you’re listening to the SEAL with the feel, Ike McGowen, watchin’ the records go ’round. Are you listening, world? If so, and you’re the friendly type, just head on down to the coast to Yankeetown and be received. But if you’re hostile, just carry your rear end on, brother.”

Ben laughed and wondered if SEAL meant Navy SEAL--sea, air, and land--or was just a nickname.
Navy SEALs were not well known in popular culture in the early 1980s.

quote:

...Ben pulled into the drive of the large, ocean side house and got out.

A gaggle of bikini-clad young ladies, bouncing and jiggling, came racing out to meet him. They were all armed with automatic weapons. Kind of took away from the beauty of their bare skins. A man with a CAR-15 walked behind them.

“I’m peaceful,” Ben called.

“I really can’t speak for the dog— only known him for a few days, but I think he’s friendly.”

“What’s your name, friend?” the man called.

“Ben Raines.”
“I’m Ike McGowen. What’s the dog’s name?”

“Juno.”

“Well, Ben and Juno, come on into radio station KUNT and set for a time.”

Ben laughed at the old joke of call letters. “KUNT?” Ike returned the laugh.

“Yeah— it’s a little fuzzy around the edges but mighty fine, man. Mighty fine.”

So this is Ike the SEAL pimp. This is like finding the secret GTA area of Fallout.

quote:

In the sprawling house, Ike introduced Ben. “This one here is Tatter, and that’s June-Bug, and that one there is Space-Baby, and that one is Angel-Face. The blond is Honey-Poo. That dark one all sprawled out on the floor, too goddamned lazy to get up is Bell-Ringer. She claims to be a black person of the Negroid persuasion, but I think she’s just been out in the sun too long.” Bell-Ringer smiled and gave him the middle finger. She smiled at Ben, then went back to reading her book. Ike said, “We got all the conveniences, friend. Generator for electricity which gives up light, music, and hot water. So fix yourself a drink and let’s talk. Then we’ll vote.”

We get the rundown. He was Navy SEAL and had always wanted to be a DJ, so when the war happened he went out and did just that. He met Bell-Ringer mid rape, he shot the attackers and she followed them back. The rest just kind of showed up when he started broadcasting.

They take a vote, Ben is allowed to stay if he wants.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
No biggie, I'm just Navy SEAL turned DJ with a Hefner streak! All my days are just sex, guns, and music!

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Soo, what's the viewpoint of "Negroid" in the 80's: definitely racist or I didn't know it was racist until you told me? Like, it's kinda jarring to have the term just thrown about with reckless abandon by an ostensibly, non-racist. This, of course, assumes that Johnstone knows how to write in Ben's voice.

Also:

quote:

He then began the job of destroying the aircraft.

When he had finished, he was covered with soot and hard of hearing from the booming explosions. This was one runway that would be a long time cleared and repaired.

Will he ever show! Like, come on. You can't give us loving exploding jets! Nope, but let me tell you about the options on this M010. Was this your typo or Johnstone's? The Ingram is an M-10.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

BirdOfPlay posted:

Soo, what's the viewpoint of "Negroid" in the 80's: definitely racist or I didn't know it was racist until you told me? Like, it's kinda jarring to have the term just thrown about with reckless abandon by an ostensibly, non-racist. This, of course, assumes that Johnstone knows how to write in Ben's voice.
I think that was supposed to be in badass SEAL guy's voice, who may well be a causal racist.

Throwing Turtles
May 3, 2015
The only way I could imagine negroid not being racist is if the speaker was really ignorant and he was trying not to use a slur and accidentally used a different one.

Throwing Turtles
May 3, 2015
Eleven

quote:

“Have there been many visitors around?” Ben asked. It was dusk on the coast and the gulf was as beautiful as the Prussian blue eyes of Jerre; it gleamed softly, bathing the sand with a peaceful glow. For a moment Ben thought of Jerre and he was saddened.

Conversation is pleasant, the place has got a reputation for being dangerous since Ike has taught all the women to use guns. Ike is marrying Bell-Ringer. We get a bit of backstory, Bell-ringer was a student working on her PhD, Tatter was a schoolteacher, Honey Poo worked in a bank. Space-Baby worked for the government and Angel-Face was a housewife. A few paragraphs later right before they gently caress we find out that Honey-Poo’s real name is Prudence.

Ben decided to stay for the winter, we learn about Ike.

quote:

Ike flashed that boyish grin. “North Mississippi.” “Are you kidding me?” “I’m serious, Ben. So yeah, I kinda think I know what I’m doing.” He popped the tab on another beer. “My daddy was a member of the Klan, so I grew up hatin’ niggers. Well, I still don’t like niggers, Ben Raines, any more than I like white trash, or sorry Mexicans, or bad Norwegians. Come to think of it, Ben, there is, was, just a whole hell of a lot of folks from Texas I never did cotton to, but that don’t mean there wasn’t a whole lot of real good folks in that state. You see what I’m sayin’? I figured you did. Bell-Ringer isn’t a friend of the family. She’s a real nice person that has a pretty good tan, that’s all.”

“But she’s still a black.”

“Shore. So what?”

“I had to be sure you understood that, Ike. I have to know her real name, Ike.”

The Chris Rock routine added absolutely nothing to racist dialog that wasn’t there before.

quote:

“I had to be sure you understood that, Ike. I have to know her real name, Ike.” “Megan Ann Green. And my name is Ignatius Victor McGowen. And if you call me Ignatius during the ceremony, I’m gonna bust you right in the mouth.”

Ben laughed out loud. “I’ll stay with Ike.”

“My daddy was a banker,” Ike said softly. “Good one, too, I guess. Made a lot of money in his time. But he had dreams of the old South: cotton fields white in the fall, plantations, mint juleps— he wanted to see the day when blacks would once again be slaves. He really did, talked about it. He hated blacks. He tried to teach me to hate them, but it never took— not really. I always felt kind of guilty about it. Well,”— he sighed—“ we had a big fight my senior year. That was ’70.”

Ike is rich, but he stayed in the Navy because he liked it.

quote:

Ike shook his head. “I think, Ben, once the initial wave of hatred subsides— if it does”— he put a disclaimer on it—“ you’ll see a lot of changes in the way people think. That was my original thought. But with Logan going in as the next president, and all you’ve told me about him ... I don’t know. I’ve been thinking a lot about that, and also one of those books you wrote: that one about a nation within a nation, a government really for the people and by the people.
Ike is an optimist, there’s gonna be a race war, but it’s only gonna kill the assholes.

quote:

And I’ve been thinkin’ about your Rebels, too.”

“They are not my Rebels, Ike.”

“Yeah, I think they are, Ben.” Once again, that smile. “You see ... I’m one of them.”

Ike isn’t going to push him on the matter, he figures Raines will know when the time is right.

They talk about Ben’s dream nation.

quote:

Ben told him of his dreams, of a land with mountains and valleys and cattle and crops and contented people, all living under laws they had all agreed to live under and with.
Well ... Big Brother said— told us— we had to like everybody we met. Right off the bat, that was some kind of stupid. Ever since the beginnings of time, all the way to the caves, Ben, I’ll bet you there has been some kind of caste system and there will always be some sort of caste system. No government can order a person to like another person; hell, the personal chemistry between the two might be all wrong....”

Political correctness didn’t become a buzzword till much later.

A few weeks later the radio tower falls over and the party’s over.

quote:

Space-Baby and Angel-Face slipped out one night without even saying good-by. “They kinda have this thing for each other,” explained Honey-Poo.

This is about as progay as these books get. Later on in the series the books get incredibly homophobic and transphobic.

Honey-poo says goodbye to Ben and leaves him with his dog. Ben continues to work on his book eventually arriving at the University of South Florida. The campus is in good condition because ignorant people don’t loot books.

quote:

… An elderly gentleman sat on a bench, reading a book and eating a sandwich. The man was dressed in a dark suit, white shirt, and dark tie. His shoes were polished, and he was clean-shaven. He looked up.

“Ah! I do so hate to be the bearer of bad news, young man, but we are not holding classes. I really can’t say when this institution will reopen its door to welcome the young seekers of knowledge.” “We come in idealistically and leave with money our only goal.”

The old guy invites Ben to sit and talk.

quote:

"Watch Juno," Ben cautioned the man. "He swipes food."
“Interesting reading, but shouldn’t you be reading something on survival?”

The man chuckled and patted Juno’s big head.

Juno grabbed his sandwich and ate it in two gulps. “See what I mean?” Ben said.

“There is ample food to be had, son. For as long as I shall live— which, hopefully, won’t be much longer.”

“Why would you hope that?” “This”— the man waved his hand—“ is— was— my entire life. I taught here since its opening day. Before that I was at the University of Florida— Gainesville. I have been a professor for all of my adult life. I know nothing else. And I am seventy-five years old. What else is there for me?”

“Life.”

“But a life without flavor. What is your name, young man?”

This guy seems pretty reasonable. One of the things that always bothered me about survivalists is a lot of them put all this work into surviving a couple more years than other people. There’s no rebuild plan, just hide in a hole seeing nobody else till they die.

quote:

“And you did what before everybody went away?”

Went away? Ben glanced at him. “I was a writer. But I doubt you ever read any of my books.”

“I fear you are correct, Mr. Raines. But I am so glad you came along. Tell me about yourself, what you plan on doing. Enlighten me.”
Ben fills him in on what he’s been doing.

quote:

The professor clapped his hands and giggled. “Oh, wonderful!” he cried. “Now I can go without feeling guilty about leaving her.”

“Go?” Ben queried. “Go, where? Leave her? Her who? ”

“Whom, son.”

“Are you sure?”

“I’m a professor, young man.”

“Yes, sir.”

“To join my friends in that great classroom in the sky. Where the debates are endless and the merits of Wadsworth and Tennyson and all the greats are discussed with the respect and admiration due them. And Kipling can take Gunga Din and both of them can squat on the coals until their nuts roast.”

Now Ben was certain the man’s bread was not fully baked.

“I like Kipling,” Ben said.

“I shall ignore that outrage. Look, look!” The man pointed. “See that building over there? See it, see it?” Ben said he did.

He tells Ben that April, a student is living with him in there

quote:

“Oh, yes! Now I remember. Yes, well ... April took it upon herself to look after me. Not that I need any looking after, mind you. And she is beginning to annoy me with all her fussing about. She’s not my type of woman at all. Not at all. She is ... rather ... a clinging-vine type. Not that there is anything wrong with that— not at all. She just doesn’t have big titties. I like women with big titties. My wife— God rest her soul, wherever she is— had big titties. I used to love to play with her big titties. Don’t you like big titties?”

Ben nodded his head in agreement. Even Juno was looking at the man rather strangely.

“Well ...” The professor selected a pill from a tiny pillbox. A white pill. He swallowed it. “Now that April is going to be all right, I can go without guilt.”

“What did you teach, Professor?”

“Chemistry.”

“And what was that you just took?”
“KCN.”
“And that is?”
“Potassium cyanide.” The man stood up, smiled, waved bye-bye to Ben and Juno; then grabbed at his chest and fell to the ground in convulsions. A moment later, he was dead.

“poo poo! Ben said.

The is probably the most complex character in the entire series.

He goes to find April.

quote:

“April, I’m Ben Raines. I had the ... ah ... misfortune to encounter your friend, the professor. He told me about you and then the old fool took cyanide. He’s dead.”

Footsteps on the stairs and a heart-shaped face peered around the corner. A very pretty face with large dark eyes. Huge glasses in front of the eyes. “He’s really dead?”

“Yes. I’m sorry.”

“Yeah, me, too.” She stepped from around the corner of the stairwell. “But that son of a bitch was about to worry me to death. Always complaining about my titties.”

She came a bit closer. She was dressed in jeans and denim shirt. Maybe her titties weren’t large enough to suit the professor, but the pert little lady was unmistakably female and well enough endowed to suit Ben.

She fills us in on the professor. He was a professor who got barred from teaching for sleeping with too many students. After that he started selling drugs to the student body. He kept bugging April for a handjob but he couldn’t get it up.

quote:

..I guess the professor told you to take care of me, right?”

“He mentioned something to that effect, yes.”

“Well ... you don’t look too old. Can you get it up?”

“I beg your pardon?”

“Keep a hard-on. Man, I’m horny!”

“I’ll do my best,” Ben said dryly.

“I’ll get my things. What are you going to do with the professor?” “What do you want done with him?”

She shrugged. “He loved the campus. I’d leave him where he is.”

“All right.”

“Ben Raines, right?”

“Yes.”

“So I’ll be with you in a shake, Ben Raines.” And Ben had found yet another survivor.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Guavanaut posted:

I think that was supposed to be in badass SEAL guy's voice, who may well be a causal racist.

Badass SEAL did say it (I was mistaken earlier), but it's been used elsewhere. At least once in the stuff posted here:

Throwing Turtles posted:

Chapter seven

quote:

The woman Ben had thought white— he still wasn’t sure what she was— asked, “They’re all dead?” “All but the brother in Chicago.” He looked at her. She was very good-looking. No negroid features about her; but Ben sensed she was black, at least to some degree. “Your family?” he asked her.

Granted, that part is just racist any way you slice it, i.e. we learn that Ben has Black-dar or something.

Like, just to harp on something else I noticed: being good-looking and black are mutually exclusive. It comes up later in how the teen Ben bangs describes the rape-mob as being both "black" but also having some "good looking guys" in it.

Throwing Turtles posted:

The only way I could imagine negroid not being racist is if the speaker was really ignorant and he was trying not to use a slur and accidentally used a different one.

That's what I meant by option 2. I don't know when that ridiculous classification system went out of vogue, as it were.

Regardless, the casual racism sprinkled throughout the book says more about Johnstone than anything else, because it just permeates everywhere. Not only in the character's speech and narration (which can, obviously, be explained by racist characters), but in minor plot points and the fact that mini-race wars have erupted everywhere. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if the only ones shown not ordering along race lines end up being some white liberals that get killed and have their women raped. Because that's what happen to women, according to Johnstone.

Fake edit: Yay! A new chapter.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Wait, wait.

They have sliced bread? Sliced meats? Veggies for the sandwich?

Why, of all the utterly idiotic things in that last update, does the existence of a sandwich stand out to me?

Honestly, the whole thing is surreal. "I had fleas, so I drove to a pet store and got flea shampoo." Like it was a lazy Saturday afternoon.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Runcible Cat posted:

Ooo, ooo, a couple of pages late but I know an example. Sheri Tepper's SF/fantasy.

If you want some really bad SF in the vein of this thread look no further than The Fighter King. Plot could best be summarized as Space Confederates (literally) invade a planet to gain Perfect Scandinavian Women as rape slaves to brainwash (with microchips) and breed.

3.8 stars on Amazon.

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Dec 31, 2016

Throwing Turtles
May 3, 2015
Chapter 12

quote:

Heading back to his house just a mile south of Ike’s place, now deserted, Ben answered the girl’s seemingly endless chain of questions and asked a few of his own.

We get the backstory on April. After the war she went home and found her parents dead, she returned to the school because it’s all she really knew. We learn a little more about the professor.

quote:

Or had been, that is. I tell you one thing, though. The professor might not have had all his beans baked, but he knew people, and he saw something in you he could trust. Lots of guys had been there before you came— all looking for women. But he never said anything about me.”

Characters with ambiguous morality are kind of rare, it’s nice to see someone who falls between super patriot and rape machine. Speaking of rape machines.

quote:

“How often did you leave the campus?” “Only once after I got back from Orlando. That was when Penny had joined us in the dorm. Penny Butler, from Miami. Seventeen years old. Things had sort of calmed down, and we went for a walk, just to look around, you know? Some guys started chasing us— all of them drunk and mean-looking. They caught Penny. I can still hear her screaming while they were dragging her into a department store. I hid in a grocery store right next to the department store. I was afraid to move; so scared I thought I’d die. I didn’t know what to do. I found a pistol under the cash register, but I didn’t know what to do with it. It was kind of like the one you have on your belt. How do you work the damned thing? I’ve never fired a pistol in my life— any kind of gun, for that matter.

“They took turns raping her; and it wasn’t just rape. They did ... ugly things to her. I could hear them
through the walls, laughing and shouting. They ... buggered her, you know? Then they beat her when she wouldn’t ... suck them off. I guess she agreed to do anything they wanted, ‘cause the beating stopped. I heard them talking about her taking three guys at once. You know, one in the mouth, one up the rear end, and one the . . . normal way. One of them must have been real big, ’cause Penny kept screaming in pain and then they’d beat her again.”

She managed to escape when they accidently killed Penny. She asks the important question.

quote:

“How come there’s so many lovely people in the world? How come they lived and the good people died?” Jerre had asked pretty much the same question. All Ben could do was shake his head.

These books make more sense as some kind of rage virus zombie apocalypse.

quote:

Ben had sensed their time together would not be long, for in their conversations, April had let it be known, loud, clear, and proud, that she was a liberal; she opposed capital punishment, believed in gun control, loved the ACLU, was thrilled with Hilton Logan, hated the military, et cetera.

Johnstone always presents liberals as never disagreeing with each other on any topic. We never see someone who’s against the death penalty, but doesn’t give a poo poo about gun control. People occasionally change their mind, but it’s never really about one topic, it’s a full belief shift.

quote:

Ben had listened to her blather and babble and then had told her that if she so much as mentioned Hilton Logan or the ACLU to him again, she would find herself back on the road— alone.

She got the message.

On the first day of April, 1989, Ben told her to get her gear together, they were pulling out.

She asked no questions.

Sometime later on highway 221 to Georgia.

quote:

They saw no one along the way, but Ben felt certain someone had seen them. Hi senses were working overtime, and he could not shake the feeling of being watched … tracked.

April surprised him by saying, “I think we’re being followed, Ben.”

“When did you pick up on it?”

“When we crossed into Georgia.”

“Stay back here and keep quiet,” he told April. “Keep Juno with you.”

Two military trucks came into view, camouflage paint jobs. Two men in each truck. That he could see, that is. Ben felt there were probably men in the back of each truck. He clicked the M-10 off safety and stood by the side of the station. He pulled the pin from a grenade and held the spoon down with his left hand. The trucks slowed as the drivers spotted him. The trucks pulled into the parking area and stopped, their engines cut. The morning was very quiet. When the men got out of the cabs, Ben fought to keep from laughing. They were dressed in a mishmash of military and Georgia Highway Patrol uniforms and were a living caricature of the Hell’s Angels. But Ben could sense a real danger all around him.

“We are a part of the Georgia Militia,” a pus-gutted, unshaven man said. “It is our duty to see to it that no riffraff enter this state.”

“Then what are you doing here?”

“Huh?”

Ben said nothing, just looked at the men.

“Are you friendly?”

“To my friends.”

“That’s not much of an answer, mister.”

“Wasn’t much of a question.”

“Who do you have traveling with you?” The man licked thick wet lips. That he was asking about women was obvious.

“I don’t figure that’s any of your goddamned business,” Ben told him bluntly. The M-10 was off safety, on full auto.

“I don’t care for your attitude, mister.”

“One of life’s little tragedies, I’m sure.”

“I don’t much care for you, either.”

“Where’s your sheet and burning cross, redneck?”

“Well now.” The man smiled. “We got us a friend of the family-lover here. ‘At’s allraht though. I ain’t had me no smoked meat in some time. Got you a friend of the family gal travelin’ with you, huh? Stand aside.”

“gently caress you!” Ben lifted the M-10 and shot the man in his pus gut; at the same time he tossed the grenade at the others. Ben dived for the protection of an abandoned car.

The fragmentation grenade blew, and left one dead and two badly wounded on the ground. Before the rocking sounds had abated, Ben lobbed another grenade into the rear of the first truck and hit the ground. The frag grenade blew, sending one man through the ribs of the canvas mount and over the side of the truck. Someone screamed in the back of the truck.
Ben rose to one knee and sprayed the back of the second truck, changed clips, and waited. A man lunged out of the truck and tried to run. Ben put a short burst into his back, knocking him face-down on the concrete.

It was over. It was silent. The smell of gunpowder was thick, mixing with the heavy blood odor.
...]
One man managed to survive

“Help me,” the man pleaded.

“All right,” Ben said, then raised the 9-mm and shot between the eyes. He walked back to April. Her face was pale, lips bloodless.

“I can’t believe you did that, Ben.”

Ben turned his back to her and walked away.

Next stop, a church in Moultrie. Somewhere around one hundred survivors. Black and white.

quote:

“There is no Georgia Militia, Mr. Raines,” a man said. “That was Luther Pitrie and his pack of filth. We’re Christian people here, or try to be; no way would we tolerate that kind of man among us.”

“He tried to make trouble for you?”

“About three months back. He had gathered around him some thirty or forty of the worst types of trash you could imagine. Convicts, ne’er-do-wells, degenerates. They strutted in here just as we were picking up our lives and trying to restore some reason for being. He killed one man. I guess rage overcame us; we buried eleven of those who came with him. The rest have not been back.”

“Good for you,” Ben said, conscious of April’s look of horror.

Generally if you’re a liberal in these books you’re against self defense, even in the extreme conditions presented in the book. There may be people in real life who are that opposed to self defense, but I wouldn’t classify them as liberal as much as adherents of a pacifist religion.

Ben and April are invited to dinner, the topic of conversation is Chicago. One of the parishioners has a brother there and we find out that Ben’s brother Carl is one of the leaders. A black woman has a cousin on the other side.

quote:

... A Carl Raines is one of the leaders.” “The damned fool!” Ben muttered. “I said the same thing, Mr. Raines,” a black woman said. “My first cousin was on the other side of what took place up there.”

White people held the suburbs, black people held the city. The white people cordoned off the city and put it under siege. Winter was very harsh, when the black people holed up in urban areas got tired of dying to exposure they made an attempt to leave. The white people than used the mortars and artillery to wipe them out.

quote:

“Well,” a local minister said, “if it can be called a victory, the whites did. Then they turned on the Jews, the Latins, the Orientals. Everyone not ... what’s the old term? WASP?”

“Yes,” Ben said. “It had to come. Sooner or later. I wrote it was coming.”

“I read that book of yours, Mr. Raines,” a black woman in her mid-thirties said. She sat across the table from Ben. “I didn’t like it when I read it— I thought you surely had to be a racist. Then I reread it and changed my opinion of you. You’re a complex man, Mr. Raines, but I think you mean well ... for those who, in your view, deserve the well-meaning.”

“Thank you.” Ben acknowledged the decidedly left-handed compliment.

The racists in Chicago are having success recruiting, Ben knows why.

quote:

“I do,” Ben said. “And I can tell you who they are: businessmen and -women who lost their businesses through boycott or riots; men who had wives or daughters mugged or assaulted or raped by Latins or blacks and then had to watch while our courts turned them loose— if they ever even came to trial— because of the pleadings of some liberal bastard lawyer whining about past wrongs, that had absolutely nothing to do with the crime; store owners who were repeatedly robbed and were unable to do anything about it or who watched criminals turned loose because of some legal technicalities; people who lost their jobs because of hiring practices. It’s a long list, with right and wrong on both sides. But the hate finally exploded into violence— the hate directed toward the minorities. Many of us, of all colors, wrote of its coming. No one paid any attention to us. Well ... now it’s here.”

“That’s the part of your book I didn’t like,” the black woman said.

“Two wrongs don’t make a right.” Ben defended what he had written, so many years before. “But don’t misunderstand me. I am totally, irrevocably opposed to what is happening in Chicago. I just saw it coming, that’s all.”

It's telling that he includes boycotts and riots as equally bad.

They head into Atlanta. Run up against another road block. Ben threatens them with a grenade giving us this lovely paragraph.

quote:

“Man, you are nuts! That thing ain’t got no pin in it! Jesus Christ!” he hollered. “Don’t nobody shoot, or nuttin’. This crazy son of a bitch is holding a live grenade.”

“Fragmentation type. Get it right.”

“It’s a frag type. Lordy, Lordy!”

He tells them to tear the roadblock down, or else.

The conversation turns to drivers licenses.

quote:

But the reasons have always been the real irritant with me: checking for a driver’s license, to make certain it’s the proper license for the state you’re living in. What earthly difference does it make? If you can drive in California you can certainly drive in Utah. Or if you can drive in Hartford you can drive in Dallas. Country should have had one national driver’s license and to hell with it.” He smiled. “That’s one of my very few pet gripes, April.”

Ben thinks we should have a national ID. He’s pretty consistent on this point, voter ID but ID has to be national and easy to get.

We also get his ideas on drunk driving.

quote:

April. I have always believed that if a drunk driver kills someone, the charge should be murder— not manslaughter. And”— he grinned—“ nobody on the face of this earth loves a drink of whiskey any more than yours truly. But I don’t drive when I’m drunk, or even drinking very much for that matter. I used to, though. Until one night I almost ran over a kid on a bike. That was about ten years ago. That put a stop to it— for me. Don’t get me started, April. My beliefs are intense.”

Ben has unique ideas about where blame falls for a crime.

quote:

Our laws— back when things were normal, as you put it— were far too lenient on most criminals, especially the drunk driver involved in fatal accidents. So how can you blame the guy for drinking when the penalty for getting caught really, in many states, almost encouraged the drunk driver? No, education and stiff laws are the answer, and then gradually, over a period of years, as people become accustomed to those laws, and a generation grows with them, that’s when you get tough with those who flaunt the law. Not abruptly. Not unless everybody in that state, and I don’t mean fifty-one percent of the population, I mean about ninety percent of the population, agrees with those harsh laws. This fifty-one/ forty-nine plurality is now and always has been, to my way of thinking, a crock of poo poo.”
The idea that 90% of the population should agree on the laws comes up a lot in these books. With communities splitting up into small enough groups to accommodate this.
The conversation starts to jump all over the place here. School prayer should be allowed, but zero tolerance to those who give the kids who don’t pray poo poo. In fact he calls for an end to bullying.

quote:

The kid who chooses to pursue a life of music is often— ninety-nine percent of the time— subjected to taunts and jeers and ridicule for his choice, while the kid who wants to play sports is adored and given honors. The sadness of it, April, is this: the kids who ridicule and jeer have to have learned it at home; their parents have to be condoning it. Perhaps not knowingly, but still condoning it. If they do no more than refuse to broaden intellectual horizons, they’re condoning and passing their ignorance on to their kids.”

I heard my friend tell his boys that anyone who didn’t play sports was a sissy and probably a queer. I thought, what a terrible thing to tell a child, and told my friend so— in front of his kids. That man hasn’t spoken to me since.”

Tewdrig
Dec 6, 2005

It's good to be the king.
Thanks for doing this. It takes me back. I read the dozen or so Ashes books my dad had when I was in high school and a sucker for any post apocalyptic fiction. It was almost 20 years ago now, but I remember them as being entertaining if repetitive. After a couple books, Ben does take his army to kill all the urban ferals, city by city, but at the time, I didn't know what Freep was.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

It's kind of interesting to speculate on what the "money shots" here are, i.e. what scenes are the ones that the author envisioned before writing the book. With pulp like this you usually get a sense that most of the story is the delivery vehicle for specific kinds of situations or descriptions or set pieces. The author has something they want to convey and they build a story around that.

Based on the books description I was thinking these would be stories about survivalism, but there's less survivalist porn here than I would have expected. There's some guns and explosives stockpiling porn but seemingly not very many loving descriptions of actually surviving in an environment where non-contaminated food and potable water are scarce or dealing with radiation. The protagonist always sleeps in comfortable beds and doesn't seem to worry very much about being attacked in his sleep.

What there is a lot of are scenes where black people and women comment on what a resourceful, intelligent and virile man the author-insert protagonist is, or how extremely correct his political views are.

This is especially striking given how much time all the characters are spending talking about really trivial political issues like bullying musicians or the appropriate punishment for drunk drivers. The entire loving world is gone. Why does anyone give a poo poo about these issues, let alone enough of a poo poo to want to have long monologue-style conversations about them. Except of course these diatribes are seemingly the point of the book which is why everything else is molded around them.

Helsing fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Dec 31, 2016

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Throwing Turtles posted:

These books make more sense as some kind of rage virus zombie apocalypse. 

So, Crossed?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

JcDent posted:

So, Crossed?

:hfive: good stuff

Wang_Tang
Jan 11, 2004

Cryptologic

Helsing posted:

It's kind of interesting to speculate on what the "money shots" here are, i.e. what scenes are the ones that the author envisioned before writing the book. With pulp like this you usually get a sense that most of the story is the delivery vehicle for specific kinds of situations or descriptions or set pieces. The author has something they want to convey and they build a story around that.

Based on the books description I was thinking these would be stories about survivalism, but there's less survivalist porn here than I would have expected. There's some guns and explosives stockpiling porn but seemingly not very many loving descriptions of actually surviving in an environment where non-contaminated food and potable water are scarce or dealing with radiation. The protagonist always sleeps in comfortable beds and doesn't seem to worry very much about being attacked in his sleep.

What there is a lot of are scenes where black people and women comment on what a resourceful, intelligent and virile man the author-insert protagonist is, or how extremely correct his political views are.

This is especially striking given how much time all the characters are spending talking about really trivial political issues like bullying musicians or the appropriate punishment for drunk drivers. The entire loving world is gone. Why does anyone give a poo poo about these issues, let alone enough of a poo poo to want to have long monologue-style conversations about them. Except of course these diatribes are seemingly the point of the book which is why everything else is molded around them.

I'm roughly in the same boat as well regarding confusion at the extent of the apocalypse the book has described. It honestly just sounds like a sort-of survivalist take on the rapture where a lot of people have vanished leaving behind a relatively pristine world ripe for Ben to take advantage of.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat

Wang_Tang posted:

I'm roughly in the same boat as well regarding confusion at the extent of the apocalypse the book has described. It honestly just sounds like a sort-of survivalist take on the rapture where a lot of people have vanished leaving behind a relatively pristine world ripe for Ben to take advantage of.

Maybe the nukes spontaneously turned into neutron bombs?

God drat this book is loving terrible. Everything is just complete poo poo.

"Hey you loving liberal I don't want to hear any of your ideas because my beliefs are so intense and if you don't do what I say I'll leave you to be raped to death alone. BTW I'm the hero and I'm in favor of 'freedom.'"

Grey Area
Sep 9, 2000
Battle Without Honor or Humanity

JonathonSpectre posted:

Maybe the nukes spontaneously turned into neutron bombs?
The book did say that the few dozen nukes that made it through the (unexplained) missile defenses were "clean", so probably only 10-20 million died from nukes. It was an engineered virus that killed almost everyone else, seemingly in a couple of days.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Throwing Turtles posted:

Generally if you’re a liberal in these books you’re against self defense, even in the extreme conditions presented in the book. There may be people in real life who are that opposed to self defense, but I wouldn’t classify them as liberal as much as adherents of a pacifist religion.

To a certain paranoid and reactionary mindset, "self defense" means "get them before they get me". And they take it as an article of faith - as seen in this book - that the vast majority of Them are absolutely out to get Me and People Like Me given half a chance (note how many white characters simply state as fact that black people are doing all this awful stuff even before the end of the world), so any refusal to get Them first must be attributable to being evil and complicit, or in the best case stupidly naïve.

Throwing Turtles
May 3, 2015
Chapter 13

These books are full of terrible things, and your safe assuming everything bad in these books is in here. But some people may not have thought about certain edge cases. So I'll put a warning before those posts.

This chapter contains elder abuse.

quote:

Ben had pulled off the interstate just a few miles south of Fort Valley and headed east. “Just wandering,” he told April. “We’re not on any timetable.”

At a small town located on a state highway, Ben pulled over when he saw a group of elderly people gathered on and around the porch of a general store. When they saw the truck stop, they ran as if in a panic.

“Why are they afraid of us?” April asked.

“There is a certain type of filth in this world that preys on the old. I think these folks have been the victims of those types of slime. Let’s see.”

But when Ben opened the door to the truck, he found himself looking down the twin barrels of a shotgun. It was, he thought, like looking down a twin culvert. He lifted his eyes to meet those of the man standing on the porch, behind the shotgun.

“I didn’t stop to harm anyone,” Ben said. “I’m a writer, traveling the nation, attempting to chronicle all that has happened. If you people are in some sort of difficulty, perhaps I can help?”

“Lower the shotgun, Homer,” a woman’s voice said. “He speaks as though he has some degree of education.”

The woman asked, “Where did you attend school, young man?”
“The University of Illinois, ma’am. For about twenty minutes. I didn’t like college.”

She laughed. “What books have you written?”

Ben began reeling off titles and the various names he wrote under. She waved him silent.

“That’s enough. Some of those books were pornography, Ben Raines. Filth. The sex acts were too descriptive. We’re all adults; we know how the act is done.”

I agree with angry teacher lady, Johnstone shouldn’t write sex scenes. He’s not good at it,

quote:

Ben laughed. “But I’ll bet you read every word, didn’t you, ma’am?” She grinned and moved out onto the porch. “I taught English for fifty-five years, Mr. Raines. You need to learn about the positioning of adverbs and the splitting of compound verbs.”

“And don’t forget who and whom and me and I.”

“Yes,” she said, sitting down in a chair. “That, too.” She pointed to April, sitting in the truck. “Are you and that young lady married, Mr. Raines, or are you living in sin?”

The likable grammar nazi brings us up to speed, a gang of hooligans and roughnecks are roaming the countryside, preying on the elderly who survived God’s will. They’ve taken all but one gun, humiliated the men and smashed the vehicles and started raping the women. In that order. Mrs.Sikes was first the youngest at 62, on the next visit they intend to rape the next youngest Mrs. Carson at sixty-five. They intend to keep raping one woman a visit. Ben says that he will help.

quote:

“Yes,” the schoolteacher replied. “And correct me if I’m wrong, sir, but didn’t I read in some column that you had been a mercenary at one time?”

“I prefer ‘soldier of fortune,’ ma’am.”

“Of course you do. As for your books . . . I so enjoyed your action stories, especially when your hero rid the world of thugs.”

“Well, we’ll see if I can’t make one of my heroes come to life and lend a hand here.”

“I imagine you can, Mr. Raines. And will. You don’t look at all milksoppish to me.”

That night Ben is a dick to April because she is a strawman.

quote:

Ben put away the light M-10 and carefully loaded his Thompson with a full drum. He hid that, along with a pouchful of clips and several grenades, behind sacks of feed he had stacked in an alley between the general store and a deserted shop. He buckled on both .45s, jacked a round in each chamber, and kept both of them on half-cock. Then, with a grenade in his hand, he sat down on the porch of the store and waited.

Homer was in the basement guarding the rest with a shotgun Ben gave him.

quote:

A riot gun, sawed-off barrel, eight rounds of three-inch magnums in the slot.

Sometimes these books feel like a long unpaid gun advertisement.

Ben hears them long before he sees them.

quote:

He heard them long before he saw them. They came in fancy vans, their loud mufflers roaring. Rock and roll music was pushed through straining speakers; it offended the quiet and the beauty of early spring.

I always wonder what horrible rock and roll the people in these books are listening to. I assume it’s something Johnstone hated when he was writing at the time, but actually looking at it just leaves me with more questions.

At the time top 40 was decidedly adult contemporary, Juice Newton, America, Christopher Cross were all big that year, and I can see not liking it but I can’t see a gang of die hard murders and rapists rolling out to it.

http://thenostalgiamachine.com/y/#1982

Punk was around, and I could see Johnstone calling it rock and roll, but I can’t imagine he heard very much of it. He came of age in the sixties so I can’t imagine him finding much of that offensive. I think it comes down to the fact that he really hates AC/DC

quote:

The lead van roared to a stop amid squalling tires. Four vans in all.

Ben did not know that Ms. Browning had slipped away from the church and made her way up the alley and into the general store. She sat behind the front counter, watching Ben. She was a good Christian lady, believing strongly in helping those who could not help themselves. She had never mistreated a human being or an animal in her life, and would rather bite her tongue than be rude to a civilized person.

When integration had come to her school, back in the sixties, she had not retired, as had so many of her friends. Instead, Nola had gone right on teaching— in the public schools. She had been raised, from a child, to hold “Nigras” just a cut beneath her (or a full one hundred eighty degrees, as the case may be), and while she did find many of their ways alien to her own way of life, she also found many exceptional Negro children with a genuine desire to learn and advance. Ms. Nola Browning concluded (and it was a horrendous decision for a Southern lady and a member of the D.A.R. and the Daughters of the Confederacy to make) that we are all God’s children and to hell with the KKK and George Wallace. She had been booted out of the Daughters of the Confederacy, but that was all right with Nola; they had to live their lives and she hers.

Ms. Browning wants Ben to kill them all, and is praying for forgiveness for wanting it.

quote:

“What’s on your mind, hotshot?” The punk on the passenger side sneered at Ben. Ben knew the only thing a person outnumbered can do is attack. And that’s what he did. At the sound of the roaring mufflers, Ben had pulled the pin of the fragmentation grenade and held the spoon down. He smiled at the punk.

“You know anything about Constitutional rights?” Ben asked.

“Yeah, pops— we all got ’em.”

“Wrong,” Ben said, releasing the spoon. It pinged to the ground. “You just lost yours.” He tossed the grenade inside the van.

The entire fight is him throwing grenades. A couple of survivors surrender. Ben turns them over to the elderly to do with as they see fit, the punks are hanged.

He sets them up with guns, CBs and some other equipment, shows them how to use it. April and Ben get in a truly stupid argument about social programs and April asks to be dropped off at a nearby gathering.

Ben finds a dealership and swaps out vehicles.

quote:

He installed a new battery, changed the oil, and patted the accelerator. The pickup fired at first crank. “American workmanship isn’t dead,” Ben muttered. “Just most Americans.”
He also installs a tape deck.
He heads into Dobbins AFB prowls around and

quote:

As Ben drove out of the base, he passed the headquarters building. A few red, white, and blue rags fluttered in the breeze atop the flag pole.

Ben stopped and with all the dignity he could muster, he brought down the flag.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Where is everyone getting all these guns? I thought the evil liberals had confiscated them all.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Everyone had hidden them, duh. Every sporting goods store had stuff like that stashed, don't you remember?

I wonder if the Granny Rape Pact Pack is the stupidest group we'll encounter in the book.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
For people who think rape almost never happens, conservatives sure do love to write about it.

Incidentally, my grandma who was born in Oklahoma in 1911 always said "negro." She was a die-hard liberal, a Unitarian, and a literal card-carrying ACLU member, but she was old and set in her ways and so she continued to use the term that was polite when she was younger.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

I like how this type of patriot fiction has a running theme that sissy ivory tower liberals can't handle the "real world"... which is achieved by setting the story in a post apocalyptic fantasy world completely detached from reality.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
I actually wonder when he wrote the first book. I know it was *published* in the early '80s, but all this stuff about "the Negros" and the horrors of rock and roll make it sound like it was something he was writing in the 60s/70s. Maybe it just took a while to get published?

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

pookel posted:

I actually wonder when he wrote the first book. I know it was *published* in the early '80s, but all this stuff about "the Negros" and the horrors of rock and roll make it sound like it was something he was writing in the 60s/70s. Maybe it just took a while to get published?

Conservative culture in the 1980s was all about reacting to the perceived horrors and excesses of the liberalism of the civil rights movement, the counter-culture and the Great Society. All the comments in this book about people being incapable of caring for themselves without government, the state being too soft on criminals and the inevitability of racial strife (with the subtext that the federal government shouldn't have cracked down segregation) were extremely topical when this book came out.

It's hard to appreciate now just how inevitable the advance of leftist ideas and causes seemed to be prior to the 1990s. You really see it in this book. Conservatives were very gloomy about the future even after Reagan's election and many of them assumed they were fighting a rearguard action against the inevitable. If you read the trilateral commissions report on the 'Crisis of Democracy' from 1975 of the Powell Memorandum from '73 you can get a sense of how concerned the establishment and it's conservative defenders were about the direction of the country and of the world. People didn't appreciate that communism was on the verge of collapse in the East or that the tide of social reformism that produced so many new social programs and regulatory agencies in the West was hitting it's high watermark and was about to start receding. So the feeling was that all the new and scary developments unleashed in the 60s and 70s would just continue indefinitely into the future and that eventually society would collapse into total anarchy. The rising crime rate and general culture of pessimism that took hold by the end of the 1970s exacerbated this feeling.

You have to also remember somebody who was born in 1950 would have been in their teens when the conflicts of the 1960s and early 70s were raging and 30 when Reagan was first elected so to them all these issues were the debates of their formative political years, not events of the distant past. It makes sense all these anxieties were reflected in the pulp fiction of the era, just like our contemporary films are all obsessed with issues like government cover-ups or terrorism.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Helsing posted:

Conservative culture in the 1980s was all about reacting to the perceived horrors and excesses of the liberalism of the civil rights movement, the counter-culture and the Great Society. All the comments in this book about people being incapable of caring for themselves without government, the state being too soft on criminals and the inevitability of racial strife (with the subtext that the federal government shouldn't have cracked down segregation) were extremely topical when this book came out.
This is all true (I was there! although I was a kid) but not so much the hatred for rock music, and "Negro" was definitely outdated by then. And weren't those attitudes around in the 1970s, too? By the '80s the Moral Majority and the War on Drugs were also big deals, and I haven't seen much of them here.

My parents were Reagan Democrats who turned into Rush Limbaugh Republicans during my formative years, so these are all attitudes I've heard ad nauseam (and shared until I got old enough to know better).

Throwing Turtles
May 3, 2015
Chapter 15

quote:

Ben changed his mind about going to Louisiana, knowing the only reason for the visit was to see Salina.

He then spends the rest of this very long paragraph on travel details and fishing.

quote:

...Juno growled low in his chest.

“We’re friendly.” The voice came out of the Brush. “I have some children with me.”

“Come on in,” Ben said, keeping one hand on the butt of his pistol.

A black man and woman, with several kids in tow walked up to the cabin porch. The man stuck out his hand. “Pal Elliot.” He smiled his introduction. “This is Valerie. And these, “ he said, pointing to the children, “in order, starting with the oldest, are Bruce, Linda, Sue, and Paul.”

Two blacks, one Oriental, one Indian.

Ben shook the offered hands and smiled at the kids. “Ben Rains,” he said. He sat down on the porch and motioned for the others to do the same.

Pal recognizes Ben, and they talk about the Chicago Nazis and Ben’s brother. Ben offers them dinner. Then they talk about Ben’s books. Cause of course Pal has read them. Ben is this universe's gun swinging J.K. Rowling.

quote:

“‘Way you write, hard law and order, I had to think you were a racist--at first. Then you did some other books that had me confused about your … reasoning. What is your political philosophy, Ben? If you don’t mind me asking, that is.”

Ben describes himself as apolitical, pissed off at everything then lists unions, the ACLU, and the government. They both hate President Logan.

They talk about future plans, nation building and New Africa.

quote:

”No,” Pal said quietly. “I suppose not. White people have always been fearful of an all black nation, whether you will admit it, or not. But I suppose we have to try. I have a masters in science: Valerie, a master’s in business. They are going to need teachers.

Ben told them of Kasim, ending with, “I intend to kill that man if I ever see him again.”

“Why Ben”
“Because ... he is not what you people need, any more than my people need the KKK. What we both need is understanding. Always have. I’d meet Kasim halfway, try to work it out, but he doesn’t want that. With him, it’s whole hog or nothing. If you go to New Africa, if Logan lets it exist— which he won‘t— you, both of you, will be attempting to teach truth and knowledge and fact, in a western manner. Kasim will be teaching hate without reason ... in robe and turban. You’ll be pulling against each other. It won’t work. I’d like to see a nation— a state, if you will— where we teach truth, as supported by fact; the arts, the sciences, English, other languages, fine music— the whole bag. I have this theory— very controversial— that we are, should have to start from scratch. Gather up a group of people who are color-blind and as free of hates and prejudices as possible, and say All right, folks, here it is; we, all of us, are going to wash everything clean and begin anew. Here will be our laws, as we choose them. We will live by these laws, and they will be enforced to the letter ... equally. Always. This is what we will teach in our schools— and only this. This is what will happen when a student gets out of line. Everything will be in plain, simple English, easy to understand and, I would hope, easy to follow.’ The speech would have to end with this: ‘Those of you who feel you can live in a society such as we advocate, please stay. Work with us in eradicating prejudices, hatred, hunger, bad housing, bad laws, crime, etc. But those of you who don’t feel you could live under such a system of open fairness— then get the hell out!’ ” Both Pal and Valerie were silent for a few seconds after Ben finished. Pal finally said, “That, my friend, would be some society, if it would work.”
We’re getting to the point where he’s changing his mind about setting up the nation. He finds some kids that are the remnant of the group Jerre hooked up with. She rolled in, recruited about thirty, and took off. The rest tried to make their way in the world doing civil service. Planting gardens, cleaning up. Very few people were interested in their help.

It also took them an absurdly long time to get guns. Today guns are everywhere in games, movies, television. I can’t imagine treating guns being as alien to people as they are to the liberals in these books.

Ben lectures them finally bringing up Logan.

quote:

“We talked about him. O.K., so he wasn’t what he appeared to be. But he was a damned sight better than Nixon, wasn’t he?”

“No,” Ben said. “He damned sure wasn’t— isn’t. And what the hell do you people know about President Nixon? You were babies when Watergate went down. All you know is what you’ve read, written by biased newspeople, and what you’ve been force-fed by feather-headed college professors who are so far out of touch with reality they should be forced to wear earphones, plugged into the vibrations of history.” He sighed, grinned,

Defending Nixon in 1983 has got to be a lonely job.

Ben takes is itinerant preacher show to Kansas where he meets a Navy Doctor named Lamar Chase. Nothing interesting happens in this scene. But Chase is going to be in the books forever, so this is where we meet him.

Ben calls Ike and give the orders for everybody to start heading west. We get some insight into how Logan is handling his office.

quote:

Americans will take only so much pushing before they begin shoving back. It takes a lot of shoving, but even mild-mannered people have a point one had best not step past. After three decades of wasteful spending, high taxes, a terrible no-win war, political upheaval, race riots, several near-depressions, and, finally, a world war unequaled in history, many of those Americans left alive . . . got mad.

Now when Logan’s agents moved into a community to shove the people out, they were met, in many instances, with violence.

Resistance groups were formed, hastily thrown together without much thought given as to the participants’ qualifications as warriors. They were crushed, brutally, by the regular military, government agents, and Logan’s own private army. Many military men quit, deserted, rather than act as Logan’s bully boys. The newly reorganized Joint Chiefs of Staff met, discussed the matter, and the head of the JCs asked for a meeting with President Logan. Admiral Stevens pointed a finger at his commander in chief, and fired off a salvo. “Now you listen to me, Mr. President. You are not going to use American military men as our equivalent to the Irish Black-and-Tans of years ago.”

“The what?” Logan asked. He had never been a student of history. The subject bored him.

Admiral Stevens sighed, kept his temper in check, and thought: you dumb son of a bitch. He said, “Bully boys.”

“Oh”

“I’ll agree, Mr. President, we have to keep this nation whole, but not by Americans knocking other Americans heads. We will keep order, as set forth by the Constitution, but as far as I’m concerned, martial law is hereby lifted and the Constitution is restored.”

“I will say when that happens, Admiral. Not you.

The Admiral likes Logan’s relocation plan, but doesn’t want to force people to do it if they aren’t interested. Leaving aside politics, he doesn’t have the resources to do it. Logan has revealed his final form as an eighties cartoon villain, and wants it all now. He’s also mad at the dastardly rebels for smashing all those planes. He also wants loyal officers so he fires the Admiral and brings in the mercenary Kenneth Parr to replace him.

Throwing Turtles
May 3, 2015

quote:

Ben pulled into his driveway at five o’clock in the afternoon. Nothing had changed except the lawn had flowers where none had been before. There was a station wagon parked beside the house.

Since the outskirts of Shreveport, Ben had seen hundreds of blacks. No one had bothered him; they had all been friendly, waving to him and chatting with him when he stopped.

Ben has come home, and it looks like New Africa is getting set up. Ben decides that there’s plenty of land so there is no point spilling blood for one acre in Louisiana. At his house he finds Salina has moved in and cleaned up a bit.

quote:

“You’re a bachelor--a man.” She smiled. “Most bachelors aren’t much on housekeeping.” A mischievous light crept into her eyes. “‘Sides she mush-mounted, “us coons have been trained for centuries to take care of the master’s house while he’s away seein to matters of great import.”

“Knock it off, Salina,” he said; then saw the twinkle in her eyes and realized she’d been ribbing him. He gave back as much as he got. “You’re only half-coon. So the house should only be half-clean.”

“O.K.” She laughed. “Call this match a draw…”

“... Well, got cornbread, fatback, and greens.”

Salina, you’re impossible!”

She laughed. “You think I’m kidding?”

She wasn’t.

Sitting down after dinner with Cecil and the family the conversation turns to race.

quote:

“Another month,” Cecil said, “and we’ll have full power restored. So the engineers tell me.”

Pal laughed and leaned forward, looking at Ben. “The truth, Ben--what was the first thought that popped into your mind at Cecil’s statement?”

“friend of the family-riggin’,” Ben said honestly.

“You’re an honest man, Ben Rains,” Lila said. “O.K.-- how do we combat that type of thinking. Not that you meant it; I don’t believe you did. But that . . . type of thinking is so ingrained in so many white minds, how do we overcome it?”
“By education and by trying harder. That’s my opinion.”

“On both sides, of course.”

“Let’s be sociable this evening, people,” Valerie said. “Let the poor man alone about race. We’re just six people, all full after a good meal, so let’s relax some, huh?”

“I don’t mind, Valerie,” Ben said. “Really, I don’t. Had people in the country gotten together like this years ago— more than really did— so much could have been accomplished.”

We also learn Kasim didn’t show because Ben was going to be there, and that Kasim also has a crush on Salina. Ben tells Cecil that he won’t be able to have a society with people like Kasim in it.

Then it get’s weird.

quote:

“You’re welcome to spend the night with us, Ben,” Lila said.

Ben smiled. “This is my house.”

She cut her eyes to Salina. “Then perhaps you’d better come with us, Salina.”

“I like it here,” Salina said. Ben could feel her eyes on him in the dim light. Cecil shook his head, a frown on his lips.

“You’re making a mistake, girl; it’ll only cause hard feelings. You must know that.”

“My decision.”

“You’re half-black, half-white,” Lila said, a tinge of anger in her voice. “Are you making your choice? Is that it?”

“You’re the only one talking about color and choices. If Ben is color-blind, so am I.”

Pal and Valerie sat quietly, saying nothing, staying out of the verbal confrontation, now exclusively between the two women.

“You know Kasim will fly into a rage when he hears you’ve . . . spent the night with Ben. And Ben,”— she cut her eyes to him—“ there is nothing wrong with sex between two consenting adults. But there is much more than sex involved here. Try to see it from our point of view.”
Salina jerked her hands away. “I have thought about it!” she snapped. “All my damned life I’ve thought about it. Where do I belong? Believe me, I’ve been the one living with that question, not you. For twenty-five years I’ve lived with it. If I make a statement that is contradictory to the quote/ unquote ‘black’ way of thinking, I get my white father tossed in my face. If I’m around a group of whites and make any statement defending something a black person has done, I get my friend of the family mamma tossed at me. And don’t you think for one second I haven’t thought about ‘passing.’ I have not only thought about it, I’ve done it, many times. Hey— I like the white world. It’s free and a whole lot easier to move around in. So, by God”— she slammed a small fist on a coffee table—“ don’t any of you presume to tell me what I can or cannot do. I will do what I want to do, when I choose to do it. And with whomever I choose to do it.” She jumped to her feet and ran from the room, crying.

The conversation turns to Kasim

quote:

“Willie, you mean?” Ben said, the words popping from his mouth before he could bite them off. Valerie looked blank; she, of course, would know nothing of Kasim’s Christian name.

“They annoys whites, doesn’t it?” Cecil asked, stuffing his pipe. “The Muslim bit, I mean.”

“Annoys?” Ben shook his head. “No . . . I don’t believe annoys is the right choice of words. I think a lot of whites are amused by it. And perhaps frightened, if they would admit it.”

“Umm. Frightened, yes. So are a number of blacks. But amused? Why?” Cecil asked.

“Because they don’t believe the blacks are taking their religion seriously. They think that they’re doing it solely to be different. Wearing turbans and robes.”

Ben restates his solution to racism

quote:

“Education on both sides, yes. And conformity on both sides, as well Root cause.”

Politics

quote:

“Ready? Good. In an election, blacks will vote color rather than intellectually, even though the black man may be less qualified than the white. Yes, that’s true. At least in nearly every election I’ve ever seen. But, my God, Ben, how else could the black people get representation. I mean . . . after all, we’re supposed to remain in our place. Wherever in the hell that is.

“All niggers steal. Well, that’s bullshit and we both know it. At least the connotation the whites attach to it is crap: that all blacks steal. I’ve never stolen a thing in my life. But because I am black I am tarred with the same brush as those blacks who do steal. It makes about as much sense as saying all Italians belong to the mafia.

“Niggers have no morals; all they want to do is drink and gently caress. Did you patronize many redneck bars, Ben? Have you been in many conversations— and I use that word laughingly, taking into consideration the intellect of the average redneck— with ’necks? Need I say more?

“friend of the family is lazy; won’t work. Some black people are lazy; so are some whites. It’s about even.

“Niggers are smart-alecks. Meaning: don’t talk uppity to a white person. You ain’t as good as me. Don’t argue with a white man. Kowtow. Yes, sir— no, sir.

“Niggers are emotional. Yes, many of us are. There is a cultural as well as pigmentation difference between blacks and whites. But it amuses me, Ben, to hear some whites say that. Especially if one has ever witnessed the carrying-on in a white Pentecostal church, or other churches of that particular ilk.

“You know what I’m saying, Ben! I don’t have to continue in this vein. The point is: how will you combat those myths and prejudices in your society? And yes, we know of your plans. We have fine electronic equipment located around the area. Our people have done some excellent friend of the family-riggin’.” That was said with a smile and Ben had to laugh.

Then he goes off to sleep with Selina. Race plus sex is extra awkward.

quote:

“That’s better. Sure you want to travel with a zebra?”

Ben suddenly thought of Megan. “I’ll tell everyone you’ve been out in the sun too long. But let’s get one thing settled; when I tell you to step-and-fetch-it, you’d better hump it baby.”

“Screw you, Ben Raines!” She giggled.

“I also have that in mind.”

She threw back the covers and Ben could see she was naked. And beautiful. “So come on. I assure you, whitey, it doesn’t rub off.”

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
Dude has a really, REALLY weird fixation with race, even for the era and the political bent. God drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JcDent
May 13, 2013

"The world has ended. NIGGERS!"
- this book

• Locked thread