Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
GAME OVER

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLamPUP01E0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NP3_UdPz4Vo

Attempts are being made to emulate: http://acemulator.org/forums https://discord.gg/ev8W656

Previous post:
http://venturebeat.com/2016/12/20/the-asherons-call-mmo-universe-from-the-90s-will-finally-go-offline-in-january/

Both 1 and 2 go offline at the end of January. Existing accounts can play until then, but no new accounts can be made.

This makes it the first of the "Big Three" early MMOs to kick the bucket (UO and EQ being the other two). Sad to see it go.

Freakazoid_ fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Feb 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Many, many fond memories. I will miss Dereth.

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.
I only played this game for about a minute back in 2003 or whatever, but it was kind of cool. A huge, sprawling, untamed world with massive unexplored areas and full loot on death. I was hoping they'd let me make a private server so I could turn on godmode and see the world.

I think I got to like level 12 or something.

Dunno why, after all the dumb mmos I've tried, this one should stick with me as the one I'd kill to explore. Particularly since I never actually played it.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I didn't play this game except in beta. All I really can remember is that I got the impression was that it was an open world like UO - unlike EQ which has zones.

UO, EQ, and AC are the "first big three" MMORPGs in my opinion. It's sad to see one of them finally go. I'm going to be absolutely crushed when it happens to UO. EQ will outlast UO I believe, it is still getting support and content, in a lesser amount than the past.

Rest in peace. I hope a server emulator is possible for the people that still want to play AC. I always feel sad when a MMOG goes down.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I signed up for beta when it was just a website with a handful of screenshots, long before Microsoft became involved. It looked too good to be true at that point, and I more or less forgot about it until the e-mail arrived. Thank gently caress my housemates and I had cable internet by then.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
Sad to see this go. Pretty fun game to explore. Made several 100+ over the years.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Reading this with the voice in your skull.
I feel I would be remiss if I didn't say something.

Played this game like a fiend with two other friends in high school. I dragged one of them kicking and screaming from EQ, and got the other started shortly after. Loved the game's sheer sense of freedom - build your own character from scratch, no "zones" apart from dungeons, and tons of content that just existed for its own sake. The world not being a typical "elves and dragons" world was also a big selling point as all the creatures were completely new.

I'll probably log in one last time before they take down the servers, just for old time's sake.

Goodbye, AC. You never received the appreciation you deserved, but you won't be forgotten.

PowerBuilder3
Apr 21, 2010
drat, I just restarted with old characters (from 10 years ago) last October.

Game is much nicer now, went from L130 to L180 since, not even grinding or macroing, and technically runs must better now then it ever has.

Logic
Jan 8, 2009
My first MMO and still my favorite, I played the beta and fell in love. I had a PC gamer ( I think) or some computer gaming magazine at least in my home room in high school and it had one of the bigger ads for AC in it. That is all me and my buddy did was look at it and talk about how excited we were. I had just turned 16 and skipped school to go pick it up at EB games ( I think) when it released, I clearly remember talking to the sales rep about it and how excited I was that it was out. He tried to talk me into getting EQ instead. I had 4 friends hooked within a week and we all played the hell out of it. I made good $$$ off selling in-game items on ebay before it was really a thing, my mom did not understand I think she thought I was doing illegal things for the money for awhile. Such good memories from AC, anytime that group of friends get together we always tell stories about our great adventures in AC and when so and so did this or that. My favorite story is when we were all together up in Arwic and this was really early on I'd say January 2000, a much higher level guy in nice armor ran up to us and died almost instantly. He came back and handed my friend a piece of black obsidian and told him it was a death rock and to not hold it long because it would kill him. We totally believed him because we were not aware of the /suicide command at the time. We traded that rock back and forth for awhile.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

I was about 14 when this came out, and it was my first MMO. I remember how exciting the concept of the genre was back then, and how new and unexplored everything felt back in 1999, with no wikis or leveling guides or anything to hold you by the hand. While I never stuck around with it as long or came to value the community as highly as I later did in City of Heroes (another fallen homie), I am always going to remember the excitement of exploring that first dungeon, traveling across the continent, and the sound drudges make. God I'm getting old.

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.

The Bramble posted:

I remember how exciting the concept of the genre was back then, and how new and unexplored everything felt back in 1999, with no wikis or leveling guides or anything to hold you by the hand.

Yeah, that's a big draw of AC for me. Remember how spells weren't catalogued, and you had to find them via experimentation? And if I recall correctly, the more often a spell was cast overall, the weaker it got. So you had incentive to keep them secret, or to use lesser-used spells. What a cool idea. It's a phenomenal way to prevent "flavor of the month" from happening.

I wish they'd give a player-run server option.

evelyn87
Mar 20, 2009

We all can be only who we are, nothing more, no less.
For a game that has occupied my free time from early 2000 till now; RIP.
Having friends in the game development industry, and ones directly tied to Standing Stone and their publisher(s). Severlin did everything he could to bring AC over in this acquisition. It's truly poo poo he's being slayed on the forums.
Private servers didn't happen. That was a corporate cock block as I've been told. The fact WB is holding the IP to this game is some kind of beef none of us will understand without being there.
I hope individuals take the initiative to build a server for this client. If anything, people would love to log in just to socialize. This was still a healthy community.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

RIP

Quite a few community oriented attempts to buy/emulate going on right now. I hope they succeed!

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
ONCE YOU POP THE FUN DONT STOP
They were just going to give out the source code back when it went "buy to play".

Don't know what ever came of that. I think only one guy was working on the game, at all.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Are people moving over to Project Gorgon?

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Alexander DeLarge posted:

Are people moving over to Project Gorgon?

Is it really anything like AC?

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Diogines posted:

Is it really anything like AC?

No idea, I never really got into Asheron's Call that much but I know it's designed by two fairly important figures in AC1/2's development.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I played Asherons Call back when it was owned by Microsoft and on Zone.com. Honestly this game wasn't good.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
Never actually played this game but I did love watching dr34d0g's videos on YT a decade ago ago.

Pube Factory
Jun 10, 2001
Pretty much the only thing I'm good at is growing these beautiful, thick pubes

I said come in! posted:

I played Asherons Call back when it was owned by Microsoft and on Zone.com. Honestly this game wasn't good.

The thunder of me crushing this noob is followed by the deafening silence of death!

evelyn87
Mar 20, 2009

We all can be only who we are, nothing more, no less.

Pube Factory posted:

The thunder of me crushing this noob is followed by the deafening silence of death!

Knock him all the way back to Morningthaw!

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I had originally tried to get Asheron's Call 1 way, way back when I was a tiny baby, but the local EB Games didn't have it and I ended up becoming an Everquest-playing plebeian instead. It's a shame I never got to experience it much; it seemed like a really cool game for its time.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Vermain posted:

I had originally tried to get Asheron's Call 1 way, way back when I was a tiny baby, but the local EB Games didn't have it and I ended up becoming an Everquest-playing plebeian instead. It's a shame I never got to experience it much; it seemed like a really cool game for its time.

I don't know anything about AC gameplay other than it looked like Everquest without zones, which is cool.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

I said come in! posted:

I played Asherons Call back when it was owned by Microsoft and on Zone.com.

:same:

quote:

Honestly this game wasn't good.

It had its ups and downs. I played during a month when they decided to tackle speed hacks but it didn't work and the server caused everyone to rubberband. But I also stole some bank notes someone tried to cleverly hide in the unsecured chests at an inn.

Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe
I played the gently caress out of UO and EQ but never got AC. Only saw a couple screenshots, but it still occupied a place in my mind as the "other" MMO option at the time and this news actually makes me sad despite having never played it.

UO and EQ I will have mixed feelings about; on the one hand it will be sad but on the other hand both games became such completely bastardized versions of what made them good it will kind of numb the sting when they finally go, cause the games I actually liked died long ago and only exist now as feeble approximations.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I remember there was some island you could barely see off the coast so a bunch of people hung out near it to generate a portal storm and a couple of them got teleported to it and explored it, which turned out to be pretty dangerous as despite there being no monsters the geometry was hosed up so you could take a step onto an incline and start sliding helplessly while taking rapid-fire fall damage

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

RentACop posted:

I remember there was some island you could barely see off the coast so a bunch of people hung out near it to generate a portal storm and a couple of them got teleported to it and explored it, which turned out to be pretty dangerous as despite there being no monsters the geometry was hosed up so you could take a step onto an incline and start sliding helplessly while taking rapid-fire fall damage
Asheron's island?

There was one off the dire lands that people tried that to as well, I suspect that was it.

Erev
Jun 9, 2013
Nooo! I just reinstalled a while back to visit and mess around some. Asheron's Call was my first MMO and my time on Darktide still holds some of my dearest gaming memories. Dereth was truly a unique world and some of those monthly updates were amazing. I remember the first time winter came to the game - that was a heck of a shock. The arrival of the Shadows and their Spires (and the eventual destruction of Tufa - which never did get rebuilt drat it!) There was bad with the good of course - an unwillingness to put in basic features other MMOs came to offer, loose ends in the few stories they had out there, neutering the magic system, mixing up the monsters and loot which used to be themed to their location, subway supplanting pre-subway portal paths as the main travel method, and things of that sort. Even so the game offered far more good than bad and I'll miss it. Perhaps I'll see if I can't grab myself a Casting Stein and explore the Direlands as a relative newb one last time.

SamEyeAm
Jun 6, 2013

Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
This is sad, sad news. I had hoped AC would stay up forever. It was my first mmo and I started playing back in 2000, about a year after it released on MSN Gaming Zone. From then to 2002 was an amazing time in mmo history, and AC was front and center. I tried UO and EQ, but they never had the appeal for me that AC did. I've logged back in many times over the years, returning anywhere from a few hours to months. I will truly miss this game, and knowing that I can't log in to Dereth leaves an emptiness inside me.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

SamEyeAm posted:

I will truly miss this game, and knowing that I can't log in to Dereth leaves an emptiness inside me.

This is exactly how I am going to feel when UO and EQ go down. I won't just miss the game. I will miss the world.

This is the shittiest part of MMORPGs. There will be a point where they turn off the switch and you cannot play it anymore, unless people make great effort to emulate it.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.
Ah man that sucks. AC was my first MMO addiction, many a sick day was burned on firing up my 56k modem and cranking out some AC.

Some of the things I will always be fond of from the game, being able to add points to your jump. My goal was to be able to jump UP the subway and while I was never close, I jumped higher than anyone else I saw. I was like the loving Michael Jordan of AC. Also getting chased for miles and miles by Zephyr's and Shallows Sharks only to succumb to their death by a thousand cuts like 100 miles from the nearest lifestone. Super don't gently caress with Gold Wasps. And I will always love AC for it's intro to elemental weapons. I think at one time I had like 8 axe's, one for each elemental...and it ruled.

The fizzle sound will forever be burned into my memory. RIP AC :(

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

weird Asian candy posted:

I jumped higher than anyone else I saw. I was like the loving Michael Jordan of AC.
That's dope, haha. I loved that kind of thing, too.

quote:

Also getting chased for miles and miles by Zephyr's and Shallows Sharks only to succumb to their death by a thousand cuts like 100 miles from the nearest lifestone.

Yeah, tearing through the wilderness with deadly wildlife on your rear end is definitely something I remember well. And then when I started playing on Darktide, it was a human player at the edge of your minimap closing in on you.

Man, what a crazy game. Part of my nostalgia for it is just that it was the first graphical MMO that I played, so the sense of wonder was huge and unable to be replicated in later games, but it also did some really cool stuff. That seamless world, the bits of lore tucked here and there, and the graphics that were pretty drat good for the time...

I don't think I would ever have really gone back to it, but it's still sad to see it die out.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

I played UO/WoW off and on, but AC was always my favorite. Fond memories of it:

• Slowly grinding in the swamps around Sawato and being terrified of PKs
  • Hunting shadows for GSA
  • Camping and buying my first house in a sweet location with guildmates
  • My nearly perfect purple/orange armor
  • Hitting level 200
  • Fort Teth, Drudges, Virindi, Tuskers, and the badass mobs in VoD

I hope an emulated server is available at some point just to buff up and kill some poo poo again.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

weird Asian candy posted:

Ah man that sucks. AC was my first MMO addiction, many a sick day was burned on firing up my 56k modem and cranking out some AC.

Some of the things I will always be fond of from the game, being able to add points to your jump. My goal was to be able to jump UP the subway and while I was never close, I jumped higher than anyone else I saw. I was like the loving Michael Jordan of AC. Also getting chased for miles and miles by Zephyr's and Shallows Sharks only to succumb to their death by a thousand cuts like 100 miles from the nearest lifestone. Super don't gently caress with Gold Wasps. And I will always love AC for it's intro to elemental weapons. I think at one time I had like 8 axe's, one for each elemental...and it ruled.

The fizzle sound will forever be burned into my memory. RIP AC :(

The thing that really sucks is this is the easiest MMO for fans to acquire since there's no middleware, probably doesn't share much code with D&DO/LOTRO and doesn't put those games at risk security-wise and it's an IP no one cares about. Hell will freeze over before Warner Brothers decides to invest in another Asheron's Call game... And they won't get it.

erazure
Oct 23, 2005

When AC went non-billing, they had stated they'd make the game files available for players to host private/emulated servers. Unfortunately, this announcement didn't include any information about it, and the remaining AC developer who was working on the files has since had his publicly available Linkedin information updated to say he's no longer with the AC people. Most of the community assumes that the lack of private server file information means they're unlikely to happen, now, despite the publicly-stated hope of private servers being used to lure in people to purchase new AC accounts, post-subscription shutdown.

There's a lot of ill-will on the official AC forum, due to this.

erazure fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Jan 4, 2017

Sixfools
Aug 27, 2005

You be the Moon,
I'll be the Earth
And when we burst
Start over, oh, darling
There are is an effort being being made on postcount.net to finally get a good emulator running and one scam effort. It's sad to see it go especially since I started playing again.

Sixfools
Aug 27, 2005

You be the Moon,
I'll be the Earth
And when we burst
Start over, oh, darling

PowerBuilder3 posted:

drat, I just restarted with old characters (from 10 years ago) last October.

Game is much nicer now, went from L130 to L180 since, not even grinding or macroing, and technically runs must better now then it ever has.

It is so much fun now which is why it's such a shame. They kept adding more and more good content up until they stopped 2 years ago

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Wikipedia Brown posted:

That's dope, haha. I loved that kind of thing, too.

Yeah, tearing through the wilderness with deadly wildlife on your rear end is definitely something I remember well. And then when I started playing on Darktide, it was a human player at the edge of your minimap closing in on you.

Man, what a crazy game. Part of my nostalgia for it is just that it was the first graphical MMO that I played, so the sense of wonder was huge and unable to be replicated in later games, but it also did some really cool stuff. That seamless world, the bits of lore tucked here and there, and the graphics that were pretty drat good for the time...

I don't think I would ever have really gone back to it, but it's still sad to see it die out.

Oh yeah. I remember running for hours and hours getting to the most remote spots possible just to see what was there. Or running to BFE to pick plants to dye my armor white. The game was really incredible for its time.

One of my best memories that I just remembered was my buddies and I thought we would be hilarious and all created a member of TLC, ran way the hell up into the mountains somewhere hours away and found a house. We were like this is awesome, our own little girl band house all to ourselves because there was no one around for miles. One day we ventured out around the house to see what was out there and it was our first experience with Giant Mattekar which was way higher level and tougher than our level 1 ladies. The thing made some terrifying noise and started chasing us, so we ran back to our house and after myself and my brother made it in I closed the door so our third member couldn't get in. That turned into 10 minutes of laughing hysterically as we watched the red blob chase the green blob in circles on the radar until the thing finally caught my buddy and killed him.

Such good times :(

weird Asian candy fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jan 4, 2017

the Pixies fukken SUCKED
Jul 16, 2003

Figure 2 in a series of 3
I havent played AC since just after the Lugian and Tusker dungeons are implemented but I'm still a little down now that things are finally over. In the day before wikis most of the wonder and secrets of the game were well preserved, and the game's community at the time helped that by remaining tight-lipped about the things they figured out.

It was by no means a good game by today's standards but back then it was incredibly innovative and one-of-a-kind. It also set my bar for what 'too much grinding in an mmo' was, which made everything that came after it (DAOC, WoW, FF11/14, etc.) feel easy by comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
This is something I really appreciate about the Project Gorgon community. Most things are left unspoken unless you really ask for them. Shame I generally missed out on Asheron's Call but unfortunately I was already invested in Everquest when it came out and it slipped under the radar until years later while I was interested in Star Wars Galaxies at the time.

If Asheron's Call wasn't delayed, the whole genre might have been very different today.

• Locked thread