Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

the Pixies fukken SUCKED posted:

It also set my bar for what 'too much grinding in an mmo' was, which made everything that came after it (DAOC, WoW, FF11/14, etc.) feel easy by comparison.

Man, not only was it a huge grind, but it was so easy to spend a ton of time grinding to end up with a totally ineffectual character, because who knows what the gently caress all these skills do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

the Pixies fukken SUCKED posted:

I havent played AC since just after the Lugian and Tusker dungeons are implemented but I'm still a little down now that things are finally over. In the day before wikis most of the wonder and secrets of the game were well preserved, and the game's community at the time helped that by remaining tight-lipped about the things they figured out.

The lack of wiki type resources is the thing I miss most about old school MMOs, especially AC. I remember when the floating crystal NPCs that dropped shards (or something) that I think were needed for GSA were a big deal. They were pretty rare in the wild and the drop rate was terrible so farming that stuff was a HUGE grind but it was for the best armor in the game. During one of the patches, Turbine put in a dungeon that was filled with nothing but the crystal NPCs on a pretty fast spawn rate.

There was no announcement of its existence and I happened to find it within the first couple of days just through sheer luck, wasn't even looking for it or knew it existed. My friend and I were able to farm the poo poo out of it for almost (2) whole weeks before its existence became widely known. There were only 3-5 other people that knew about it on Frostfell until the secret broke. We all made an agreement not to tell anybody, and anytime a new player was spotted inside we swore them to secrecy.

That would never and could never happen on a moderm MMO. Even if the developer didn't include it in the patch notes, the people who mine the game files for new additions would find it, and with the existence of wiki's and gamefaqs type sites the first person who found it would go post it everywhere for reddit karma or the like instead of keeping it a secret.

Wikipedia Brown posted:

Man, not only was it a huge grind, but it was so easy to spend a ton of time grinding to end up with a totally ineffectual character, because who knows what the gently caress all these skills do.

This. My first character was a mage who I completely hosed up and didn't realize until I had spent a huge amount of time grinding to level 30-40. By that time the Og mage had came out so I rolled that. It was completely gimped in every way until level 50 at which point it suddenly became the most powerful class in the game. You never see anything like that in today's games. There were so many skills and the system was setup in such a way there were some really great and unique builds you could do.

Sixfools
Aug 27, 2005

You be the Moon,
I'll be the Earth
And when we burst
Start over, oh, darling
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPiBrIXCiQE

I am so sad for this grandpa

Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe

Oh my fuckin god that is the saddest god drat thing I've ever seen fuckkkkkk man

(and I didn't even play AC but wtfff)

Secular Humanist fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jan 9, 2017

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
No fuckin' way I'm watching that, I'm putting it on my ban list alongside Fry's Dog episode from Futurama.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I couldn't shut down Asheron's Call if I was Turbine and I saw this video.

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.
I'm never going to forget the day they had to hotfix the game because golems were dropping pyreal motes at a 100% drop rate and I missed out on it because I was in school.

That and the Thumbs update, along with spending every other day on Thejackcat.com

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
My first and favorite MMO.

Best was the introduction of platinum scarabs at only one location on darktide. Corpses for miles

Despera fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jan 15, 2017

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Remember those dungeons that had the elemental stones to put in your weapons? I remember one that was like all platforming. I died many times falling to my death. I think another one of the dungeons split players up into level ranges and people in the higher level dungeon had to hit switches to open doors in the lower level dungeon and vice versa. I believe that dungeon also ended with a jump across an acid pit that caused many deaths.

Also spending many hours in the Lugian Citadel where the spawn rate was so fast that you could fight non-stop for hours.

This was also the only MMO that had lore I actually cared about. The first few story arcs were great especially the one about the explorer guy who was captured, tortured and turned into a Virindi.

Edit: gently caress mites!

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Tainen posted:

Remember those dungeons that had the elemental stones to put in your weapons? I remember one that was like all platforming. I died many times falling to my death. I think another one of the dungeons split players up into level ranges and people in the higher level dungeon had to hit switches to open doors in the lower level dungeon and vice versa. I believe that dungeon also ended with a jump across an acid pit that caused many deaths.

Also spending many hours in the Lugian Citadel where the spawn rate was so fast that you could fight non-stop for hours.

This was also the only MMO that had lore I actually cared about. The first few story arcs were great especially the one about the explorer guy who was captured, tortured and turned into a Virindi.

Edit: gently caress mites!

I lost so much poo poo from dying in the drat acid pit :negative:

The Martine story arc was pretty bad rear end

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkgTCdO3xsQ

Xexre
Jan 26, 2010

Elder Brother, you're so dreamy
:allears:

I'm definitely gonna miss this game, but mostly for the friends I made in it. The game and the friends I made in it helped me get through an incredibly horrible time in my life. One of the guys in the guild I was in (The Runeguards) worked for Buck Knives and made everyone who was part of a specific Vassal line a knife. One of the coolest drat things that came from that era of the Internet.

If you haven't seen them the videos made by the guild are actually pretty great for their time. Also nostalgia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfY9AQ4ld7A&list=PLK4uPUN2tHXHc7JwT6w49QirJkNUfFqqX

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I played this game for a long time, from beta for probably 3ish years. I stopped leveling after I was able to reliably kill Olthoi because I was like 12 and the Olthoi were the big bad guys in the intro cutscene. Why would I give a poo poo about big gorillas or dudes in clown masks or zombies or catpeople or even bigger olthoi? The real bad guys are defeated now, game is over

IIRC beta ended in like October and the first major monthly event was the December patch where you could get Hoary Mattekar robes. These were just a cool luxury item at the time so not a ton of people went after that, but they made you look like a pimp in a loving giant furry robe so I farmed a bunch of them and gave them to my friends. Months and months later people realized that this robe was actually way OP because its resistances were insanely good and with an armor spell it was basically the best mage armor in the game. The following year Turbine re-released a nerfed version of the robes, but they looked lame and the states weren't nearly as good

My friend's dad played this game from beta all the way to today, basically every day. I don't know how or why

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Loot system was addictive

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Despera posted:

Loot system was addictive

Yeah it was always possible to get something great from any random roll

It sort of broke down the first time when the gambling system came out and you could just mule spell mats to gamble, get a ton of money and items, and then go buy more spell mats. Youd profit moneywise and gear wise.

It broke down a bit again when the whole trade central area came about and people set up shop bots but even then it was fun. I used to run an archer character with maxed melee defense who'd melee and bow things down, but he only had item magic so I had to do this constant complex juggling of my gear to make sure I had all the life and creature magic buffs on each piece so that it would work since I didn't have the skill points to get another magic school.

Still, just the ability to mix and match skills any way you wanted was fun (and eventually they did at a way to respec). It was funny as hell the first time the mages figured out oh if I just get robe, shirt and pants and enchant them all to hell with protection, I can stand in the middle of 30 bugs and only take 1 damage a hit while nailing them with fireballs.

Sixfools
Aug 27, 2005

You be the Moon,
I'll be the Earth
And when we burst
Start over, oh, darling
the mix and matching still goes on with people constantly searching for a good Epic/Legendary cantrip set once you get to 180+ getting the right lineup of duals on a piece of armor or jewellery kept that aspect going. Being able to tailor clownsuits into whatever you want is nice now too.

Getting a fully tinked lineup of weapons with Rends (melees don't need life magic anymore!) takes awhile as well. Looting is a lot easier thanks to loot macros .

some news from the save AC page:

quote:

Hey everyone,
We have another announcement to make.
Today marks an important milestone for us at SaveAC. As of today, after a number of phone conversations and vetting, we have formally submitted a business proposal to Warner Brothers. At this point in time, we would like to peel back the curtains a little bit, and let you know what that looks like.
Here are the key points of the proposal. Remember, we have to pitch a business to WB. They have no interest in dealing with a bunch of bozos who won’t be able to pay bills in a month or who have no idea what it takes to keep servers running.
1) We want to lease the IP for Asheron’s Call 1. Unfortunately, and for reasons that we cannot share, getting AC 2 is still apart of the picture, but logistically might not be feasible. Additionally, buying the IP is not viable. WB has already stated that they are not interested in selling the IP at this time.
2) Subscriptions are being considered as a primary source of revenue. No, we don’t know the price points, but it remains the best option for revenue generation. And before you ask, we don’t know what will happen with “lifetime” subscriptions. We realize that subscriptions without content are a tough sell, but goodwill doesn’t pay for servers and bandwidth.
3) AC’s servers will be migrated to open-source-stack technology. Warner Brothers couldn’t justify keeping the game running with the existing software license fees associated with the game, and neither can we. Our proposal hinges on moving the servers to modern OSes and a free database platform. This fully enables the next point.
4) Releasing the AC Server as open-source. We are committed to finishing the project started by Severlin as demanded by the community.
5) Migration of existing accounts and characters. This is something we are committed to obtaining. Unfortunately we cannot promise something that we can not guarantee. We will do everything we can, but the realization is that this might be something we simply cannot achieve.
We know you are going to have a lot of questions, so we want to answer a few of them preemptively.
Q: Does this mean you saved AC?
A: No, not yet. We are only in negotiations. This is what we are asking.

Q: You mentioned account migration. How will that work?
A: To be determined.

Q: What about the number of servers? Are you going to consolidate servers?
A: As part of minimizing operation cost, consolidating servers is being considered (but not Darktide).

Q: If you consolidate servers, what about housing?
A: To be determined. Our hands will likely be tied by technical constraints.

Q: How much will subscriptions cost?
A: There are many different scenarios that we will be discussing, however we need greater clarity from WB before we can officially announce anything.

Q: How on earth are you guys going to pull this off?
A: We have over 20 volunteers, many of whom are former Turbine employees, who are dedicated to seeing this become a reality.

Q: Will there be a gap in service after Jan 31?
A: To be determined. We doubt that we can have our stuff ready for Feb 1, so this is part of negotiations.

Q: Will you guys be crowdfunding somehow?
A: We don't know just yet. It is an option though if we have to go this route.

Q: Are you qualified to do this?
A: Absolutely. We will identify the core members of the team and their professional backgrounds at a later time.

They've also setup a discord where some of the older devs have dropped in https://discord.gg/tbYZD https://discord.gg/EnxfQ

currently there is an emulator that works around the ~2004 era but it's very minimal and you have to spawn monsters/npcs etc yourself but it's better then nothing for preserving things.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Set the discord links to not expire. They're already gone.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I don't see Asheron's Call being saved. From what is being said they already sound super pessimistic about the whole thing. Saving an IP is really hard.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

I said come in! posted:

I don't see Asheron's Call being saved. From what is being said they already sound super pessimistic about the whole thing. Saving an IP is really hard.

I don't get why companies bury IP. They're shutting it down, it's not exactly competing with anything they have, why not sell it instead of getting nothing at all for it?

I haven't played in years, I dropped my sub at one point and never re-upped. Was an amazing game for it's time, and really still is, somewhat.

Remember the poor dude who attracted aggro from KMs away? It took years for them to fix it, it turned out the aggro sorted by the player ID (or hash of player ID) and his was always at the top. Stuff would break off whoever was attacking it to go bumrush him, it was hilarious.

Life mages at the wailing wall. Gold having weight which made banknotes a thing (and the gold-sink of converting back and forth). The hideously complicated spell learning system and the eventual spading thereof.

Harik fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Jan 18, 2017

Sixfools
Aug 27, 2005

You be the Moon,
I'll be the Earth
And when we burst
Start over, oh, darling
soory: https://discord.gg/ev8W656

WB probably has no idea what it is exactly that they have or is planning on something (more then likely not)
https://www.twitch.tv/flankgamingnetwork/v/115015277?t=25m36s

Q & A about what they are planning to do. Leasing the IP is probably the most feasible thing atm until an emu that is actually useable can be developed. I'd be happy with just a working emulator to gently caress around with occasionally.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The way Asheron's Call plays is really outdated and frustrating. The controls and camera are annoying. If this group is able to get their hands on the IP, will they be able to make major changes to the game to make it more modern?

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

I said come in! posted:

The way Asheron's Call plays is really outdated and frustrating. The controls and camera are annoying. If this group is able to get their hands on the IP, will they be able to make major changes to the game to make it more modern?

In theory? Yeah, but they won't because they're too invested in nostalgia rather than improving it.

SamEyeAm
Jun 6, 2013

Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.

I said come in! posted:

Outdated? I think you mean, outstanding.

Sixfools
Aug 27, 2005

You be the Moon,
I'll be the Earth
And when we burst
Start over, oh, darling
yeah, once you get your decal configured you can setup your UI as much as you want and makes life 1000x better playing without the Virindi Tools plugin set is pretty barbaric. The fact you can play the game without a mouse is awesome. Slide casting is the poo poo and originally unintended but became a major skill to have in pvp. One thing I did see come up on postcount.net(darktide board) regarding slidecasting is that it may not function properly on a emulated server.

I love being able to jump around like an idiot and some jumping puzzles during quests can be really fun.

I think I'm going to sign off on the beaches of Mayoi, was always where I ended up when I made a new character before Martine destroyed the original starting locations. It would be even cooler if they gave everyone access to http://acpedia.org/wiki/Portal_to_Ispar but that won't happen because no-one is around todo that anymore

Is there a way to download http://acpedia.org/wiki/Home to have an offline copy? I kinda want to try an run a tabletop campaign in Dereth someday. The lore is so good.

SamEyeAm
Jun 6, 2013

Any update on whether emulators will be possible?

Sixfools
Aug 27, 2005

You be the Moon,
I'll be the Earth
And when we burst
Start over, oh, darling
http://acemulator.org/forums is where people are pooling data at the moment. They seem to have some sense about what they are doing, and are aiming for a pre ToD server but we may get stuck with what the current servers are like until things can be reverse engineered.

Also this was just posted on reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/AsheronsCall/comments/5qcjrt/this_is_bittersweet_ill_be_releasing_the_source/

which adds a lot of hope. The biggest issue is once the game is offline, anything that hasn't been logged will have to be reverse engineered. If you have an account install a logger and run around and send them what packet data you can, they even have a handy list of things that can be logged. https://trello.com/b/UOFTKYeU/data-mining

Some DT rear end in a top hat was crashing the auth servers last night so no one could get on, until some guys from postcount got his ip and reported him to his ISP

Also Maggie The Jack Cat's site is back up and running!

Sixfools fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jan 28, 2017

SamEyeAm
Jun 6, 2013

That's a bit of hope at least

Piebald Hell
Apr 22, 2008
I wonder if the Project Gorgon devs joined that group? They apparently offered to buy the IP and keep AC running but got told no.

Essential
Aug 14, 2003
Oh dang, bummer this is shutting down. I haven't thought about AC in years, but I now have an overwhelming urge to play it.

AC was my first mmo. I bought it in November 1999 from Software Etc at my local mall. I had never played any online game before. My first experience was really bad. At the time I didn't even understand what monitor resolution was and during character creation I couldn't see any of the sliders (they were off the screen) to add stat points so my character was created without adding anything. I remember running around for about an hour and had no idea what was even happening. I ended up taking the game back to Software Etc and returning it for Everquest. I knew the guy who worked there so he let me return it even though I had already used up the free month code, we honestly didn't realize it couldn't be reused. We thought the code was good for 30 days x 24 hours and I only used at most 2 hours. A few weeks later I got a phone call from some guy who was super pissed at me. It was the guy who purchased my returned copy. He told me Microsoft gave him my phone number and told him to call me and work something out. Turns out all the guy wanted was an apology but it scared the poo poo out of me.

Including that first purchase I've bought AC 3 times and put maybe 200ish hours into the game. The thing I loved the most about AC is it is an actual huge world. I love the simple sound effects, love the day/night cycle, the stars, the land size. I loved finding random (to me) dungeons. It's the kind of game you could wander out during nighttime and find a spot to stare at the stars and feel small. There was a massive sense of adventure to the game. Many unknowns, things to learn and explore.

The thing I could never get past is the massive grind. I've put thousands of hours into mmo's since my first attempt at AC and I always hit a wall in AC where it was easy enough to calculate how many hundreds of hours I'd need for a tiny increment, and I just could not do it. AC is the game I always wanted to put more time into, just never felt like I was making progress. It was just too easy to gently caress up your character as well and have all that time be lost.

I'm feeling a little sad though now that it's going away. I have enough income now where I could maintain a monthly subscription just to hop in occasionally and run around. It really sucks that it's closing down. I am learning now that it went into maintenance mode and they haven't been taking new subscriptions and possibly haven't even been charging people? Well, it's the first of the big 3 to go down, had to happen at some point.

SamEyeAm
Jun 6, 2013

Essential posted:

I'm feeling a little sad though now that it's going away. I have enough income now where I could maintain a monthly subscription just to hop in occasionally and run around. It really sucks that it's closing down. I am learning now that it went into maintenance mode and they haven't been taking new subscriptions and possibly haven't even been charging people? Well, it's the first of the big 3 to go down, had to happen at some point.

Went free to play a while back. Stopped content updates a few years ago. Still a decently active community. Everyone is saying their goodbyes and their is a surge of old players coming back for one last dose of nostalgia before they flip the switch tomorrow at noon. I'll log on once more tonight and take some screenshots of some places that are special to me. Maybe meet a new friend and do a little questing for old times sake. Then say my goodbyes and log off in the place I made my first character, back in 2000.

SnotGrumble
Jun 4, 2003

All men live in fear of him and his Moxie.
I logged out tonight in the place I first logged in during beta: Holtburg West Outpost.
Gonna miss Dereth.

SamEyeAm
Jun 6, 2013

SnotGrumble posted:

I logged out tonight in the place I first logged in during beta: Holtburg West Outpost.
Gonna miss Dereth.

I logged out on a hillside near the Wilderness Lugian Citadel, looking out over the high mountain valley. The first of many dungeons I ever grinded xp in.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Wow. My first MMO, too. I had a subscription to PC Gamer and read an ad about the beta in 1999 and played in beta and release. Loved that game and am sad to hear it's going away.

Hopefully the emulation crowd gets something off the ground.

Bahanahab
Apr 13, 2006
Tons of old names logging in right now. Still haven't seen any of the Rudy's. With all the people logging back on, they are starting to coordinate mass dungeon runs, final pics, all the things you would expect to happen right now.

Sixfools
Aug 27, 2005

You be the Moon,
I'll be the Earth
And when we burst
Start over, oh, darling
Logging in for the party in Holtburg on MT with a bunch old ladies. (seriously, all the ac facebook groups are filled with 40+ year old women and make up probably a bigger % of the playerbase, at least on MT and they all have like 10 accounts).

from the ACemu discord which is more much more active then the forum:

quote:

Mag-nus - Today at 10:38 AM
correct. We're able to portal in-game now in the C# build, and run around

there is also a link on the reddit for the PHATac emulator. Can run around and stuff but no portals, npcs, monsters etc...yet.

edit: Welp, it's over. Huge turnout.

Please change the thread title to Asheron's Call:Games Dead LOL and put this in the OP https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NP3_UdPz4Vo

Sixfools fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jan 31, 2017

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
:rip:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLamPUP01E0

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.
Holy crap that is depressing and sad and hearing all of you logging out in the spot you logged in tugs at my heart strings :(

God speed, AC.

Sixfools
Aug 27, 2005

You be the Moon,
I'll be the Earth
And when we burst
Start over, oh, darling

weird Asian candy posted:

Holy crap that is depressing and sad and hearing all of you logging out in the spot you logged in tugs at my heart strings :(

God speed, AC.

I logged out my main on the beaches of Mayoi, and then my alt with everyone in Holtburg. I ran into my patron from 17 years ago 30 minutes before the server shutdown, I was his first vassal and it ment a ton to him to run into me at the end of it all. I think he logged out in Sanctuary which is a great spot.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Sixfools posted:

I logged out my main on the beaches of Mayoi, and then my alt with everyone in Holtburg. I ran into my patron from 17 years ago 30 minutes before the server shutdown, I was his first vassal and it ment a ton to him to run into me at the end of it all. I think he logged out in Sanctuary which is a great spot.

Now that is touching, goddamn.

evelyn87
Mar 20, 2009

We all can be only who we are, nothing more, no less.

Bahanahab posted:

Tons of old names logging in right now. Still haven't seen any of the Rudy's. With all the people logging back on, they are starting to coordinate mass dungeon runs, final pics, all the things you would expect to happen right now.

I logged in this morning and said farewell to everyone. Sad as gently caress.

http://giphy.com/gifs/11P4YVyk2yW1os

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
God damnit.

• Locked thread