Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bahanahab
Apr 13, 2006

evelyn87 posted:

I logged in this morning and said farewell to everyone. Sad as gently caress.

http://giphy.com/gifs/11P4YVyk2yW1os

Yeah, watching everyone get logged out at the same time was rough. Had a blast going through the Colosseum with everyone back when we had that goon resurgence. Definitely a game I missed out on getting to know a ton of the great people that were playing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
op updated

here's hoping they got enough data to reverse engineer everything

SamEyeAm
Jun 6, 2013

Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.

Final Group photo, Solclaim server.

Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe
gently caress I wonder what that grandpa is gonna do now ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Secular Humanist posted:

gently caress I wonder what that grandpa is gonna do now ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I refuse to watch the video. Ignorance is bliss. Out of sight, out of mind.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

SamEyeAm posted:

Final Group photo, Solclaim server.

This depresses this poo poo out of me and I never played this game.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Is there anything new on the fan made attempt to bring the game back? I still expect it won't work out but we will see.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
I read that there were weird things going on with the website and they're now assuming WB will start up servers but not honor the lifetime offer anymore.

Essential
Aug 14, 2003

Alexander DeLarge posted:

I read that there were weird things going on with the website and they're now assuming WB will start up servers but not honor the lifetime offer anymore.

Man I hope so! I really want to play this again. I'm not sure what the lifetime subscription was about, it's kind of a bummer for those people. I will definitely get a subscription to the game if they start the servers back up.

Pube Factory
Jun 10, 2001
Pretty much the only thing I'm good at is growing these beautiful, thick pubes
As much as I would like to see AC live on forever, the game was in a pretty sorry state the last couple years after it went to the lifetime subscription model and Turbine stopped supporting it

Essential
Aug 14, 2003

Pube Factory posted:

As much as I would like to see AC live on forever, the game was in a pretty sorry state the last couple years after it went to the lifetime subscription model and Turbine stopped supporting it

Do you mean in terms of performance or content updates?

I haven't played AC in about 10 years so content wise I could probably play for 10 years based on what they've already implemented. There is plenty of game there I can enjoy for a long, long time.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Essential posted:

Man I hope so! I really want to play this again. I'm not sure what the lifetime subscription was about, it's kind of a bummer for those people. I will definitely get a subscription to the game if they start the servers back up.

Even better, Asheron's Call had no sub for its last year or so of service.

Maybe what WB is doing is they are changing the server software over to something custom or free, cause that was supposedly the original issue with keeping the game going. WB had to pay an expensive 3rd party license for the servers.

Pube Factory
Jun 10, 2001
Pretty much the only thing I'm good at is growing these beautiful, thick pubes

Essential posted:

Do you mean in terms of performance or content updates?

I haven't played AC in about 10 years so content wise I could probably play for 10 years based on what they've already implemented. There is plenty of game there I can enjoy for a long, long time.

There were a couple major overhauls to the weapon skills and portal networks and the UI that just felt forced and took away more than they added. Wasn't a big deal to a lot of people, but I was kind of sour on how unfamiliar the most basic aspects of the game had become in the time period leading up to the last patch. A lot of the old content had been reshuffled and new content added over the years that reinvigorated the game, but when then they reduced the quest timers for everything to 20 hours, it really but a premium on just repeating several of the easiest quests with the biggest rewards every day, and that's kind of the state the game ended in.

I think the biggest problem, though, was that there was no one on the other end checking in with the players, so you ended up with entire servers getting crashed regularly and players using exploits without any repercussions.

I'm probably making it out to be worse than it was. It just seemed like a big drop-off in quality happened as soon as they gave up on patching, and the community reflected that to a certain extent.

Sixfools
Aug 27, 2005

You be the Moon,
I'll be the Earth
And when we burst
Start over, oh, darling

Pube Factory posted:

There were a couple major overhauls to the weapon skills and portal networks and the UI that just felt forced and took away more than they added. Wasn't a big deal to a lot of people, but I was kind of sour on how unfamiliar the most basic aspects of the game had become in the time period leading up to the last patch. A lot of the old content had been reshuffled and new content added over the years that reinvigorated the game, but when then they reduced the quest timers for everything to 20 hours, it really but a premium on just repeating several of the easiest quests with the biggest rewards every day, and that's kind of the state the game ended in.

I think the biggest problem, though, was that there was no one on the other end checking in with the players, so you ended up with entire servers getting crashed regularly and players using exploits without any repercussions.

I'm probably making it out to be worse than it was. It just seemed like a big drop-off in quality happened as soon as they gave up on patching, and the community reflected that to a certain extent.

Decal fixed a lot of UI issues, it was almost mandatory to be at the least using V-tools plugin bundle. The 20 hour timers I could give or take, it still took awhile to get to 275 but yeah a lot of people fell into the repeat the best handful you can do. People on Morningthaw were always up to do random questing or whatever, naked obsidian rim runs etc.

I said come in! posted:

Is there anything new on the fan made attempt to bring the game back? I still expect it won't work out but we will see.

phatAC has the overworld up and running no NPCs or mobs, you can use admin commands and spawn cows! and is pre ToD.

They managed to get a TON of data from logs and are progressing well, we'll know more in a month or so based on where they are at if it's feasible.

There was a source leak of the server code years ago that allowed someone to setup their own super secret Darktide server but Turbine C&D'd them so hard they deleted everything.

Sixfools fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Feb 4, 2017

Essential
Aug 14, 2003

Pube Factory posted:

Got it, thanks for the perspective!

Somewhat selfishly none of that would apply to me as I would be starting a level 1 character and really going through the game for the first time. There's so much content for me there.

The servers crashing and player's exploiting I don't like, but to be honest that is why I'd prefer to pay for a subscription.

Essential
Aug 14, 2003
I've been reading on acpedia a bunch and realized I really know nothing about this game. It's only made my desire to play that much more!

Can someone explain the skill system to me? I think the way it works is: you can only use skills that are trained or specialized. You can only level up skills that are trained or specialized. You have 52 skill points at character creation to distribute however you want (move skills to trained/specialized). Skills are raised by applying xp to them. The amount of xp required to level a skill is based on whether the skill is trained or specialized. Skills have a cap they can be raised to (based on trained/specialized)? Stats have a cap?

Also, you can raise your stats, strength, focus, self, etc. Is there a way to raise health, stamina, mana directly? Or is that a by product of raising your stats?

Is the total amount of xp available limited? Level is capped at 275 so does that mean there is a maximum amount of xp possible and you would need to plan a long term character accordingly? Or can you continue to earn xp even after level cap? If so, could you theoretically cap all your stats and trained/specialized skills?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

You can raise and use any skill you want but I never could figure out if there were limits to that.

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

Essential posted:

I've been reading on acpedia a bunch and realized I really know nothing about this game. It's only made my desire to play that much more!

Can someone explain the skill system to me? I think the way it works is: you can only use skills that are trained or specialized. You can only level up skills that are trained or specialized. You have 52 skill points at character creation to distribute however you want (move skills to trained/specialized). Skills are raised by applying xp to them. The amount of xp required to level a skill is based on whether the skill is trained or specialized. Skills have a cap they can be raised to (based on trained/specialized)? Stats have a cap?

Also, you can raise your stats, strength, focus, self, etc. Is there a way to raise health, stamina, mana directly? Or is that a by product of raising your stats?

Is the total amount of xp available limited? Level is capped at 275 so does that mean there is a maximum amount of xp possible and you would need to plan a long term character accordingly? Or can you continue to earn xp even after level cap? If so, could you theoretically cap all your stats and trained/specialized skills?

I don't know about the latest mechanics, but last I played you continued to earn XP past the level limit, and could theoretically max out every stat and skill you have trained. I think the limit for stats was base+190, not sure about skills.

Health/Mana/Stamina could be increased directly and by the related stat, hp by 1/2 endurance, stamina by 1*endurance, and mana by 1 * self.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

What was the deal with pre-patch greater shadow armor. Was it just the color, or where the stats better

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

RentACop posted:

What was the deal with pre-patch greater shadow armor. Was it just the color, or where the stats better

I think the resistances were really high or something

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

At the time it came out it had a really high base armor rating (190 if my memory is correct) and most top end items were all in the 180-200 range, great resistances, and was bound so you wouldn't drop it when you died.

Edit: if you mean specifically between post-patch/pre-patch the resistances were the major difference. Post patch was poor to the elemental resistances whereas pre-patch was average resistances. Post-patch was also 150 armor vs 190 armor.

Burno fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Feb 6, 2017

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003
Good god. First MMO, only MMO I ever really liked. The elder scrolls series is the closest thing I've found to a skill system I liked as much as AC's. Played this beast from launch until sometime in 2007. Never found a guild/clan/group in any game I had as much fun with as the people I ran with on Thistledown. Juzam's monarchy. Defending the Shard of the Herald is still one of the best times I've had in a game. My username here was taken from a mob in AC. I'm honestly surprised that this game and Turbine survived so long.

Gonna go hug my nostalgia for a while.

Nosthula
Mar 23, 2009
You could max every trained/specialized skill, every stat and health/mana/stamina. In fact you would typically do that well before 275. There was no limit on the exp you could gain. Experience was also used to buy augmentation gems and you could only do the quest for those once every 6 days. Also there was luminescence which was a different exp mechanism post 200 that would give you different boosts. Hitting 275 was the easy part of the game. Maxing lum and augs was the real end game grind.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
PC Gamer compiled a few farewells from sad people, it's pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o77BL-hCHxA

Sixfools
Aug 27, 2005

You be the Moon,
I'll be the Earth
And when we burst
Start over, oh, darling
If I remember I had maxed my dagger skill out at 435 with 100 base coord/quickness

Skills were calculated based on adding 1-3 base stats and dividing by whatever on a skill by skill basis. Health/Stam/Mana could be raised individually as well which was important for "hardcore" characters that would start with 10 Endurance (I did this). Skills would have their own xp bars on top of a general xp pool that could be spent as you wish. As a general rule it was never good to have sank xp into healing as it would be better to let it naturally raise itself as it was used.

^im in that Mornthingthaw shot up front with the serpent spear :unsmith:

fffuck, maggie talking about Ned Cleversun is so sad

Sixfools fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Feb 6, 2017

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Wikipedia Brown posted:

That very last one feels a little overdone, but god drat the rest of it got me, and I never even played AC. :smith:

Sixfools
Aug 27, 2005

You be the Moon,
I'll be the Earth
And when we burst
Start over, oh, darling
Emu update: Skills are working now https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QODQOBCx4Vc

Essential
Aug 14, 2003

That's cool, they are making progress!

I'm still hopeful that someone is buying the rights to AC and will be bringing the game live again soon.

SamEyeAm
Jun 6, 2013

Wow, this is awesome to see! Looks good! Hopefully we can make a near complete emulator if nothing else. I'll play!!

Essential
Aug 14, 2003
For whatever reason I just can't let this go, I really want to play it!

I looked into the "Lifetime Subscription" and found out it was only $10. And anyone who had an active subscription at the time got it as part of their last subscription payment. It seems to me either they were trying to generate some revenue and then sell it to someone, or had plans to move towards a cash shop and away from subscriptions. If the game is not generating any money then of course it would have to shut down due to server costs, employee costs etc.

AC had ~120,000 active subscriptions in 2002 (no idea what that number was when they went into maintenance mode). I think more and more people now are wanting an MMO with more complexity and AC fits that model. I'd like it if they can bring it back online, merge the servers (1 of each) and charge a subscription.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Wikipedia Brown posted:

FYI this has the grandpa from the earlier video in it.

Zyme
Aug 15, 2000
Man that's too bad. I played this game during beta and maybe the first year or so. I was very young and it was one of the first games I was really into so it held a special place in my mind. It had been many many years since I last logged in but I still thought about it sometime. The people who played for the entire 17 year period are pretty weird but that still kind of sucks that they just pulled the plug on it.

Sixfools
Aug 27, 2005

You be the Moon,
I'll be the Earth
And when we burst
Start over, oh, darling
emu projects are going well. They have decal working in one to help with creature spawning and use a limited amount of spells!

Nosthula
Mar 23, 2009
I am concerned that everyone is stuck in nostalgia mode and they are going to make a pre ToD experience. I personally think the game state at the end was the best experience AC had to offer and want to play the game as is.

Production
Jun 11, 2001

Nosthula posted:

I am concerned that everyone is stuck in nostalgia mode and they are going to make a pre ToD experience. I personally think the game state at the end was the best experience AC had to offer and want to play the game as is.

Yeah, I don't see a point in trying to start anywhere other than at the last patch, but I do hope there are a few, polished continuation or revamp servers. There are a few dedicated people who've been writing client side mods for years that could now link up with new server features, writing meta scripts that could be used on admin characters to do complex interactions, or just obsessively maintaining the wiki and trying to sort out the lore with old devs. The actual devs were spread more thin than the volunteers, by the end; if a handful of those decal/lore/formula-obsessives got together I'd love to see them release patches every once in a while.

I think the PVP people with very specific wishlists are going to have some trouble getting critical mass for modded servers. unless someone just takes the reins with some proof-of-concept that stuffs everyone into a confined area with endgame gear so they can quickly figure out which mods/retro-features actually aren't as fun as people think.

Erev
Jun 9, 2013
The trouble with setting up an emulator based upon the ending of AC was that a lot of stuff seemed slapped on (such as summoning) and the biomes of dereth were lost. One thing I really loved about AC was that fighting stuff in the deserts around Yaraq (golems and undead) was significantly different than fighting critters around Rithwic (wasps) or Shoushi (mosswarts). As such I kind of think a pre-ToD system is a good one - especially if they pick and choose later systems to incorporate (such as tinkering).

Production
Jun 11, 2001

Erev posted:

The trouble with setting up an emulator based upon the ending of AC was that a lot of stuff seemed slapped on (such as summoning) and the biomes of dereth were lost. One thing I really loved about AC was that fighting stuff in the deserts around Yaraq (golems and undead) was significantly different than fighting critters around Rithwic (wasps) or Shoushi (mosswarts). As such I kind of think a pre-ToD system is a good one - especially if they pick and choose later systems to incorporate (such as tinkering).

Absolutely on both late systems (Summoning is a lot of fun! but if that's the power level you're supposed to get for that number of skill credits, a bunch of other skills using different stats could probably afford to be buffed enormously in damage or effect) and biomes. But it's easiest for them to work with the most recent client, and they're going to have to regenerate all of the items and spawns from wikis and packet captures, so a 2014 server existing would mean a continuation server would already have many of the tools at hand to make those fixes.

AC Live was very reluctant to make fundamental changes to things like Tinkering, buff effects, etc. that weren't one-dimensional modifications on the original design. I think it would be great to come back to a new emulated server that had rebalanced those extensively (though I'm sure I would have some disagreements about the changes, and everyone else would have their own, and it'd tear itself apart)

unburied
Jun 8, 2015
I played AC for a while around 2001 to 2003 on Morningthaw. I then got into playing Everquest until WoW came out.

AC was a good time and I really do miss MMOs having deeper systems like AC. The only game I play that sort of fills that role now is Path of Exile.

This trip down memory lane has me thinking about trying Project: Gorgon out to see if it has some of the AC feels.

Some of my AC experience if anyone cares to read: posted:

I had some friends in high school who were playing AC so I tried it out. It was the first MMO I played and it was a blast. It was a real gateway to becoming an even more hardcore gamer. I felled many-a-Tusker.

I still like the original fantasy stuff in AC more than the borrowed Tolkien in EQ and everything Warcraft.

I started with a gimpy default Bow build on a character named Charon but stalled in the 50's. With a little bit of experience, I created a new character named Archaicus and devised my own build with (the wildly underrated at the time) Spears. Was able to buff myself with full 6's and and then 7's just a little behind a full mage could and never had to visit Yew Wan Sum the buff bot in Mayoi again. The success of the build was extremely satisfying. I had an awesome set of matching amuli armor (with loot only colors) that I had a buddy do some extremely high risk tinkering on. Those were some serious clench moments. My set of spears were pretty nice too. I was pretty close to the level cap of 125ish before I stopped playing.

Some great memories like doing the Gaerlan quest the first day. It was a blast with its puzzles (some rear end in a top hat always spoke in the room requiring reverence) and then arriving at Gaerlan with him being wildly overtuned for the level 60-80 bracket. He was one or two shotting anyone not using a shield so we formed a shieldwall with our melee (who didn't attack to maintain the solid line of collision) while the mages and archers bombed away on him. He would periodically swipe at the melee but the mages healed us should our first aid not keep up.

When they first introduced respecialization there was a bug that allowed you to get infinite xp by untraining a skill with a weapon equipped. I abused the hell out of it for that day and ran around like a god with everything maxed. Weren't patch day rollbacks fun?

I enjoyed all the quests involving Virindi, they were just cool villains.

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.

the Pixies fukken SUCKED posted:

I havent played AC since just after the Lugian and Tusker dungeons are implemented but I'm still a little down now that things are finally over. In the day before wikis most of the wonder and secrets of the game were well preserved, and the game's community at the time helped that by remaining tight-lipped about the things they figured out.

Yeah, that's the real sad thing about it. Everything these days is catalogued, and there's no more hidden poo poo to find. Being one of the first ones to see content, and have no idea what was going on, was wonderful. There's no game that will do that ever again, though, thanks to the wonder of wiki.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamEyeAm
Jun 6, 2013

there may be hope yet...

• Locked thread