Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SamEyeAm
Jun 6, 2013

Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.
This is sad, sad news. I had hoped AC would stay up forever. It was my first mmo and I started playing back in 2000, about a year after it released on MSN Gaming Zone. From then to 2002 was an amazing time in mmo history, and AC was front and center. I tried UO and EQ, but they never had the appeal for me that AC did. I've logged back in many times over the years, returning anywhere from a few hours to months. I will truly miss this game, and knowing that I can't log in to Dereth leaves an emptiness inside me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamEyeAm
Jun 6, 2013

I said come in! posted:

The way Asheron's Call plays is really outdated and frustrating. The controls and camera are annoying. If this group is able to get their hands on the IP, will they be able to make major changes to the game to make it more modern?

Outdated? I think you mean, outstanding.

SamEyeAm
Jun 6, 2013

Any update on whether emulators will be possible?

SamEyeAm
Jun 6, 2013

That's a bit of hope at least

SamEyeAm
Jun 6, 2013

Essential posted:

I'm feeling a little sad though now that it's going away. I have enough income now where I could maintain a monthly subscription just to hop in occasionally and run around. It really sucks that it's closing down. I am learning now that it went into maintenance mode and they haven't been taking new subscriptions and possibly haven't even been charging people? Well, it's the first of the big 3 to go down, had to happen at some point.

Went free to play a while back. Stopped content updates a few years ago. Still a decently active community. Everyone is saying their goodbyes and their is a surge of old players coming back for one last dose of nostalgia before they flip the switch tomorrow at noon. I'll log on once more tonight and take some screenshots of some places that are special to me. Maybe meet a new friend and do a little questing for old times sake. Then say my goodbyes and log off in the place I made my first character, back in 2000.

SamEyeAm
Jun 6, 2013

SnotGrumble posted:

I logged out tonight in the place I first logged in during beta: Holtburg West Outpost.
Gonna miss Dereth.

I logged out on a hillside near the Wilderness Lugian Citadel, looking out over the high mountain valley. The first of many dungeons I ever grinded xp in.

SamEyeAm
Jun 6, 2013

Final Group photo, Solclaim server.

SamEyeAm
Jun 6, 2013

Wow, this is awesome to see! Looks good! Hopefully we can make a near complete emulator if nothing else. I'll play!!

SamEyeAm
Jun 6, 2013

there may be hope yet...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamEyeAm
Jun 6, 2013

2 emulators that are getting better everyday and a community dedicated to their success. And a remote possibility that a third party will acquire the rights to the game from Warner Bros.

• Locked thread