Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Erev
Jun 9, 2013
Nooo! I just reinstalled a while back to visit and mess around some. Asheron's Call was my first MMO and my time on Darktide still holds some of my dearest gaming memories. Dereth was truly a unique world and some of those monthly updates were amazing. I remember the first time winter came to the game - that was a heck of a shock. The arrival of the Shadows and their Spires (and the eventual destruction of Tufa - which never did get rebuilt drat it!) There was bad with the good of course - an unwillingness to put in basic features other MMOs came to offer, loose ends in the few stories they had out there, neutering the magic system, mixing up the monsters and loot which used to be themed to their location, subway supplanting pre-subway portal paths as the main travel method, and things of that sort. Even so the game offered far more good than bad and I'll miss it. Perhaps I'll see if I can't grab myself a Casting Stein and explore the Direlands as a relative newb one last time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erev
Jun 9, 2013
The trouble with setting up an emulator based upon the ending of AC was that a lot of stuff seemed slapped on (such as summoning) and the biomes of dereth were lost. One thing I really loved about AC was that fighting stuff in the deserts around Yaraq (golems and undead) was significantly different than fighting critters around Rithwic (wasps) or Shoushi (mosswarts). As such I kind of think a pre-ToD system is a good one - especially if they pick and choose later systems to incorporate (such as tinkering).

• Locked thread