Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I didn't play this game except in beta. All I really can remember is that I got the impression was that it was an open world like UO - unlike EQ which has zones.

UO, EQ, and AC are the "first big three" MMORPGs in my opinion. It's sad to see one of them finally go. I'm going to be absolutely crushed when it happens to UO. EQ will outlast UO I believe, it is still getting support and content, in a lesser amount than the past.

Rest in peace. I hope a server emulator is possible for the people that still want to play AC. I always feel sad when a MMOG goes down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Vermain posted:

I had originally tried to get Asheron's Call 1 way, way back when I was a tiny baby, but the local EB Games didn't have it and I ended up becoming an Everquest-playing plebeian instead. It's a shame I never got to experience it much; it seemed like a really cool game for its time.

I don't know anything about AC gameplay other than it looked like Everquest without zones, which is cool.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

SamEyeAm posted:

I will truly miss this game, and knowing that I can't log in to Dereth leaves an emptiness inside me.

This is exactly how I am going to feel when UO and EQ go down. I won't just miss the game. I will miss the world.

This is the shittiest part of MMORPGs. There will be a point where they turn off the switch and you cannot play it anymore, unless people make great effort to emulate it.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
No fuckin' way I'm watching that, I'm putting it on my ban list alongside Fry's Dog episode from Futurama.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
God damnit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Secular Humanist posted:

gently caress I wonder what that grandpa is gonna do now ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I refuse to watch the video. Ignorance is bliss. Out of sight, out of mind.

• Locked thread