Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Production
Jun 11, 2001

Nosthula posted:

I am concerned that everyone is stuck in nostalgia mode and they are going to make a pre ToD experience. I personally think the game state at the end was the best experience AC had to offer and want to play the game as is.

Yeah, I don't see a point in trying to start anywhere other than at the last patch, but I do hope there are a few, polished continuation or revamp servers. There are a few dedicated people who've been writing client side mods for years that could now link up with new server features, writing meta scripts that could be used on admin characters to do complex interactions, or just obsessively maintaining the wiki and trying to sort out the lore with old devs. The actual devs were spread more thin than the volunteers, by the end; if a handful of those decal/lore/formula-obsessives got together I'd love to see them release patches every once in a while.

I think the PVP people with very specific wishlists are going to have some trouble getting critical mass for modded servers. unless someone just takes the reins with some proof-of-concept that stuffs everyone into a confined area with endgame gear so they can quickly figure out which mods/retro-features actually aren't as fun as people think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Production
Jun 11, 2001

Erev posted:

The trouble with setting up an emulator based upon the ending of AC was that a lot of stuff seemed slapped on (such as summoning) and the biomes of dereth were lost. One thing I really loved about AC was that fighting stuff in the deserts around Yaraq (golems and undead) was significantly different than fighting critters around Rithwic (wasps) or Shoushi (mosswarts). As such I kind of think a pre-ToD system is a good one - especially if they pick and choose later systems to incorporate (such as tinkering).

Absolutely on both late systems (Summoning is a lot of fun! but if that's the power level you're supposed to get for that number of skill credits, a bunch of other skills using different stats could probably afford to be buffed enormously in damage or effect) and biomes. But it's easiest for them to work with the most recent client, and they're going to have to regenerate all of the items and spawns from wikis and packet captures, so a 2014 server existing would mean a continuation server would already have many of the tools at hand to make those fixes.

AC Live was very reluctant to make fundamental changes to things like Tinkering, buff effects, etc. that weren't one-dimensional modifications on the original design. I think it would be great to come back to a new emulated server that had rebalanced those extensively (though I'm sure I would have some disagreements about the changes, and everyone else would have their own, and it'd tear itself apart)

• Locked thread