Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.
I only played this game for about a minute back in 2003 or whatever, but it was kind of cool. A huge, sprawling, untamed world with massive unexplored areas and full loot on death. I was hoping they'd let me make a private server so I could turn on godmode and see the world.

I think I got to like level 12 or something.

Dunno why, after all the dumb mmos I've tried, this one should stick with me as the one I'd kill to explore. Particularly since I never actually played it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

The Bramble posted:

I remember how exciting the concept of the genre was back then, and how new and unexplored everything felt back in 1999, with no wikis or leveling guides or anything to hold you by the hand.

Yeah, that's a big draw of AC for me. Remember how spells weren't catalogued, and you had to find them via experimentation? And if I recall correctly, the more often a spell was cast overall, the weaker it got. So you had incentive to keep them secret, or to use lesser-used spells. What a cool idea. It's a phenomenal way to prevent "flavor of the month" from happening.

I wish they'd give a player-run server option.

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

the Pixies fukken SUCKED posted:

I havent played AC since just after the Lugian and Tusker dungeons are implemented but I'm still a little down now that things are finally over. In the day before wikis most of the wonder and secrets of the game were well preserved, and the game's community at the time helped that by remaining tight-lipped about the things they figured out.

Yeah, that's the real sad thing about it. Everything these days is catalogued, and there's no more hidden poo poo to find. Being one of the first ones to see content, and have no idea what was going on, was wonderful. There's no game that will do that ever again, though, thanks to the wonder of wiki.

• Locked thread