Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sixfools
Aug 27, 2005

You be the Moon,
I'll be the Earth
And when we burst
Start over, oh, darling
There are is an effort being being made on postcount.net to finally get a good emulator running and one scam effort. It's sad to see it go especially since I started playing again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sixfools
Aug 27, 2005

You be the Moon,
I'll be the Earth
And when we burst
Start over, oh, darling

PowerBuilder3 posted:

drat, I just restarted with old characters (from 10 years ago) last October.

Game is much nicer now, went from L130 to L180 since, not even grinding or macroing, and technically runs must better now then it ever has.

It is so much fun now which is why it's such a shame. They kept adding more and more good content up until they stopped 2 years ago

Sixfools
Aug 27, 2005

You be the Moon,
I'll be the Earth
And when we burst
Start over, oh, darling
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPiBrIXCiQE

I am so sad for this grandpa

Sixfools
Aug 27, 2005

You be the Moon,
I'll be the Earth
And when we burst
Start over, oh, darling
the mix and matching still goes on with people constantly searching for a good Epic/Legendary cantrip set once you get to 180+ getting the right lineup of duals on a piece of armor or jewellery kept that aspect going. Being able to tailor clownsuits into whatever you want is nice now too.

Getting a fully tinked lineup of weapons with Rends (melees don't need life magic anymore!) takes awhile as well. Looting is a lot easier thanks to loot macros .

some news from the save AC page:

quote:

Hey everyone,
We have another announcement to make.
Today marks an important milestone for us at SaveAC. As of today, after a number of phone conversations and vetting, we have formally submitted a business proposal to Warner Brothers. At this point in time, we would like to peel back the curtains a little bit, and let you know what that looks like.
Here are the key points of the proposal. Remember, we have to pitch a business to WB. They have no interest in dealing with a bunch of bozos who won’t be able to pay bills in a month or who have no idea what it takes to keep servers running.
1) We want to lease the IP for Asheron’s Call 1. Unfortunately, and for reasons that we cannot share, getting AC 2 is still apart of the picture, but logistically might not be feasible. Additionally, buying the IP is not viable. WB has already stated that they are not interested in selling the IP at this time.
2) Subscriptions are being considered as a primary source of revenue. No, we don’t know the price points, but it remains the best option for revenue generation. And before you ask, we don’t know what will happen with “lifetime” subscriptions. We realize that subscriptions without content are a tough sell, but goodwill doesn’t pay for servers and bandwidth.
3) AC’s servers will be migrated to open-source-stack technology. Warner Brothers couldn’t justify keeping the game running with the existing software license fees associated with the game, and neither can we. Our proposal hinges on moving the servers to modern OSes and a free database platform. This fully enables the next point.
4) Releasing the AC Server as open-source. We are committed to finishing the project started by Severlin as demanded by the community.
5) Migration of existing accounts and characters. This is something we are committed to obtaining. Unfortunately we cannot promise something that we can not guarantee. We will do everything we can, but the realization is that this might be something we simply cannot achieve.
We know you are going to have a lot of questions, so we want to answer a few of them preemptively.
Q: Does this mean you saved AC?
A: No, not yet. We are only in negotiations. This is what we are asking.

Q: You mentioned account migration. How will that work?
A: To be determined.

Q: What about the number of servers? Are you going to consolidate servers?
A: As part of minimizing operation cost, consolidating servers is being considered (but not Darktide).

Q: If you consolidate servers, what about housing?
A: To be determined. Our hands will likely be tied by technical constraints.

Q: How much will subscriptions cost?
A: There are many different scenarios that we will be discussing, however we need greater clarity from WB before we can officially announce anything.

Q: How on earth are you guys going to pull this off?
A: We have over 20 volunteers, many of whom are former Turbine employees, who are dedicated to seeing this become a reality.

Q: Will there be a gap in service after Jan 31?
A: To be determined. We doubt that we can have our stuff ready for Feb 1, so this is part of negotiations.

Q: Will you guys be crowdfunding somehow?
A: We don't know just yet. It is an option though if we have to go this route.

Q: Are you qualified to do this?
A: Absolutely. We will identify the core members of the team and their professional backgrounds at a later time.

They've also setup a discord where some of the older devs have dropped in https://discord.gg/tbYZD https://discord.gg/EnxfQ

currently there is an emulator that works around the ~2004 era but it's very minimal and you have to spawn monsters/npcs etc yourself but it's better then nothing for preserving things.

Sixfools
Aug 27, 2005

You be the Moon,
I'll be the Earth
And when we burst
Start over, oh, darling
soory: https://discord.gg/ev8W656

WB probably has no idea what it is exactly that they have or is planning on something (more then likely not)
https://www.twitch.tv/flankgamingnetwork/v/115015277?t=25m36s

Q & A about what they are planning to do. Leasing the IP is probably the most feasible thing atm until an emu that is actually useable can be developed. I'd be happy with just a working emulator to gently caress around with occasionally.

Sixfools
Aug 27, 2005

You be the Moon,
I'll be the Earth
And when we burst
Start over, oh, darling
yeah, once you get your decal configured you can setup your UI as much as you want and makes life 1000x better playing without the Virindi Tools plugin set is pretty barbaric. The fact you can play the game without a mouse is awesome. Slide casting is the poo poo and originally unintended but became a major skill to have in pvp. One thing I did see come up on postcount.net(darktide board) regarding slidecasting is that it may not function properly on a emulated server.

I love being able to jump around like an idiot and some jumping puzzles during quests can be really fun.

I think I'm going to sign off on the beaches of Mayoi, was always where I ended up when I made a new character before Martine destroyed the original starting locations. It would be even cooler if they gave everyone access to http://acpedia.org/wiki/Portal_to_Ispar but that won't happen because no-one is around todo that anymore

Is there a way to download http://acpedia.org/wiki/Home to have an offline copy? I kinda want to try an run a tabletop campaign in Dereth someday. The lore is so good.

Sixfools
Aug 27, 2005

You be the Moon,
I'll be the Earth
And when we burst
Start over, oh, darling
http://acemulator.org/forums is where people are pooling data at the moment. They seem to have some sense about what they are doing, and are aiming for a pre ToD server but we may get stuck with what the current servers are like until things can be reverse engineered.

Also this was just posted on reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/AsheronsCall/comments/5qcjrt/this_is_bittersweet_ill_be_releasing_the_source/

which adds a lot of hope. The biggest issue is once the game is offline, anything that hasn't been logged will have to be reverse engineered. If you have an account install a logger and run around and send them what packet data you can, they even have a handy list of things that can be logged. https://trello.com/b/UOFTKYeU/data-mining

Some DT rear end in a top hat was crashing the auth servers last night so no one could get on, until some guys from postcount got his ip and reported him to his ISP

Also Maggie The Jack Cat's site is back up and running!

Sixfools fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jan 28, 2017

Sixfools
Aug 27, 2005

You be the Moon,
I'll be the Earth
And when we burst
Start over, oh, darling
Logging in for the party in Holtburg on MT with a bunch old ladies. (seriously, all the ac facebook groups are filled with 40+ year old women and make up probably a bigger % of the playerbase, at least on MT and they all have like 10 accounts).

from the ACemu discord which is more much more active then the forum:

quote:

Mag-nus - Today at 10:38 AM
correct. We're able to portal in-game now in the C# build, and run around

there is also a link on the reddit for the PHATac emulator. Can run around and stuff but no portals, npcs, monsters etc...yet.

edit: Welp, it's over. Huge turnout.

Please change the thread title to Asheron's Call:Games Dead LOL and put this in the OP https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NP3_UdPz4Vo

Sixfools fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jan 31, 2017

Sixfools
Aug 27, 2005

You be the Moon,
I'll be the Earth
And when we burst
Start over, oh, darling

weird Asian candy posted:

Holy crap that is depressing and sad and hearing all of you logging out in the spot you logged in tugs at my heart strings :(

God speed, AC.

I logged out my main on the beaches of Mayoi, and then my alt with everyone in Holtburg. I ran into my patron from 17 years ago 30 minutes before the server shutdown, I was his first vassal and it ment a ton to him to run into me at the end of it all. I think he logged out in Sanctuary which is a great spot.

Sixfools
Aug 27, 2005

You be the Moon,
I'll be the Earth
And when we burst
Start over, oh, darling

Pube Factory posted:

There were a couple major overhauls to the weapon skills and portal networks and the UI that just felt forced and took away more than they added. Wasn't a big deal to a lot of people, but I was kind of sour on how unfamiliar the most basic aspects of the game had become in the time period leading up to the last patch. A lot of the old content had been reshuffled and new content added over the years that reinvigorated the game, but when then they reduced the quest timers for everything to 20 hours, it really but a premium on just repeating several of the easiest quests with the biggest rewards every day, and that's kind of the state the game ended in.

I think the biggest problem, though, was that there was no one on the other end checking in with the players, so you ended up with entire servers getting crashed regularly and players using exploits without any repercussions.

I'm probably making it out to be worse than it was. It just seemed like a big drop-off in quality happened as soon as they gave up on patching, and the community reflected that to a certain extent.

Decal fixed a lot of UI issues, it was almost mandatory to be at the least using V-tools plugin bundle. The 20 hour timers I could give or take, it still took awhile to get to 275 but yeah a lot of people fell into the repeat the best handful you can do. People on Morningthaw were always up to do random questing or whatever, naked obsidian rim runs etc.

I said come in! posted:

Is there anything new on the fan made attempt to bring the game back? I still expect it won't work out but we will see.

phatAC has the overworld up and running no NPCs or mobs, you can use admin commands and spawn cows! and is pre ToD.

They managed to get a TON of data from logs and are progressing well, we'll know more in a month or so based on where they are at if it's feasible.

There was a source leak of the server code years ago that allowed someone to setup their own super secret Darktide server but Turbine C&D'd them so hard they deleted everything.

Sixfools fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Feb 4, 2017

Sixfools
Aug 27, 2005

You be the Moon,
I'll be the Earth
And when we burst
Start over, oh, darling
If I remember I had maxed my dagger skill out at 435 with 100 base coord/quickness

Skills were calculated based on adding 1-3 base stats and dividing by whatever on a skill by skill basis. Health/Stam/Mana could be raised individually as well which was important for "hardcore" characters that would start with 10 Endurance (I did this). Skills would have their own xp bars on top of a general xp pool that could be spent as you wish. As a general rule it was never good to have sank xp into healing as it would be better to let it naturally raise itself as it was used.

^im in that Mornthingthaw shot up front with the serpent spear :unsmith:

fffuck, maggie talking about Ned Cleversun is so sad

Sixfools fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Feb 6, 2017

Sixfools
Aug 27, 2005

You be the Moon,
I'll be the Earth
And when we burst
Start over, oh, darling
Emu update: Skills are working now https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QODQOBCx4Vc

Sixfools
Aug 27, 2005

You be the Moon,
I'll be the Earth
And when we burst
Start over, oh, darling
emu projects are going well. They have decal working in one to help with creature spawning and use a limited amount of spells!

Sixfools
Aug 27, 2005

You be the Moon,
I'll be the Earth
And when we burst
Start over, oh, darling
The emulation groups are getting a crazy amount done.

There was a stress test last night on one of the emu servers, bunch of naked chars running around blowing each other up with aerfalles staff. Looked fun as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sixfools
Aug 27, 2005

You be the Moon,
I'll be the Earth
And when we burst
Start over, oh, darling

I said come in! posted:

Still patiently holding out for a private server that is exactly like Asheron's Call the moment it shut down.

Same, they are getting closer by the day though. I have so many unfinished quests to do. I love pre ToD as well but I want to play the stuff I didn't get to do. Hopefully we get close to 100% quests working, I think they were able to get Belas working for augs recently if facebook is anything to go by. The FB groups are a great source for info btw if anyone has not joined them, Namely "Save AC" and the discords of the respective emus as well are worth a mention.

• Locked thread