Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

the Pixies fukken SUCKED posted:

I havent played AC since just after the Lugian and Tusker dungeons are implemented but I'm still a little down now that things are finally over. In the day before wikis most of the wonder and secrets of the game were well preserved, and the game's community at the time helped that by remaining tight-lipped about the things they figured out.

The lack of wiki type resources is the thing I miss most about old school MMOs, especially AC. I remember when the floating crystal NPCs that dropped shards (or something) that I think were needed for GSA were a big deal. They were pretty rare in the wild and the drop rate was terrible so farming that stuff was a HUGE grind but it was for the best armor in the game. During one of the patches, Turbine put in a dungeon that was filled with nothing but the crystal NPCs on a pretty fast spawn rate.

There was no announcement of its existence and I happened to find it within the first couple of days just through sheer luck, wasn't even looking for it or knew it existed. My friend and I were able to farm the poo poo out of it for almost (2) whole weeks before its existence became widely known. There were only 3-5 other people that knew about it on Frostfell until the secret broke. We all made an agreement not to tell anybody, and anytime a new player was spotted inside we swore them to secrecy.

That would never and could never happen on a moderm MMO. Even if the developer didn't include it in the patch notes, the people who mine the game files for new additions would find it, and with the existence of wiki's and gamefaqs type sites the first person who found it would go post it everywhere for reddit karma or the like instead of keeping it a secret.

Wikipedia Brown posted:

Man, not only was it a huge grind, but it was so easy to spend a ton of time grinding to end up with a totally ineffectual character, because who knows what the gently caress all these skills do.

This. My first character was a mage who I completely hosed up and didn't realize until I had spent a huge amount of time grinding to level 30-40. By that time the Og mage had came out so I rolled that. It was completely gimped in every way until level 50 at which point it suddenly became the most powerful class in the game. You never see anything like that in today's games. There were so many skills and the system was setup in such a way there were some really great and unique builds you could do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread