Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
what are some good hosting providers? i have a leaseweb right now and they're pretty good, but i'm wondering if there's a better dedicated hosting provider out there

right now i have 32gb ram, 2x4core xeons and 4x1tb sata in raid10 for like $144/month

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
looking for a s33dbox

pram
Jun 10, 2001
packet.net has cheap dedicated atom servers. well cya

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
VNucleus was really good, especially for a goon project, but now they're gone and I use Linude

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

atomicthumbs posted:

VNucleus was really good, especially for a goon project, but now they're gone and I use Linude

hows linode treating you

i got some stuff on digital ocean that i considered moving to linode but i need elastic storage. they dont have anything like that do they

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

linode are great, i've been running two smallish VPS in tokyo and singapore for general fuckery since forever, never had a single issue.

but yeah i don't think they do elastic storage

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
linode is great but if you need a lot of storage the only option is to increase everything else about your vms

you can buy a few extra gb per month but it's not cost efficient at all. i've considered moving off linode to digitalocean for the elastic storage

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
either you're doing this for personal, in which case you should jump into a trash compactor to save your family from shame, or you're doing this for work, in which case my consulting fees start at 200/hr with a 2hr min

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

sign up for dreamhost with exclusive goon only discount code GOONEYGOON and get UNLIMITED bandwidth and UNLIMITED storage for only $4.20 a month, a huge savings of $0.69!!!!

pram
Jun 10, 2001
teh host gat0r

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
i use lunanode because :canada:

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Jonny 290 posted:

either you're doing this for personal, in which case you should jump into a trash compactor to save your family from shame, or you're doing this for work, in which case my consulting fees start at 200/hr with a 2hr min

do you hold consultations in your rv

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

DaTroof posted:

hows linode treating you

i got some stuff on digital ocean that i considered moving to linode but i need elastic storage. they dont have anything like that do they

Very well. The hosting panel is incredibly full-featured, there's an option to boot my VMs with a rescue mode image so I can pull down a disk image if needed without contacting support, and Longview is neat though I've never really used it. The $10 VM is fast and responsive and has plenty of RAM, though it's single threaded; I haven't noticed any performance issues with my webhosting applications.

While on that subject, what web servers do you all use? I'm enjoying Caddy because it's the hot new poo poo with HTTP/2, automatic HTTPS (I didn't have to touch anything other than accepting the pets encrypt EULA on first run) and comes with a directive for enabling directory listings per directory, which you can sort by column in the browser.

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Dec 22, 2016

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

pram posted:

do you hold consultations in your rv

No, considering that we got rid of it a month ago. Try to keep up

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

bus(iness)haus

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

im using the free microsoft azure app service plan by microsoft powered by azure and its great except for the 30+ seconds it takes for the website to load if it hasn't been accessed in a while

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Jonny 290 posted:

No, considering that we got rid of it a month ago. Try to keep up

do you hold consultations in your ... dickensian tenement block (?)

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
Dreamhoast with SAGOON discount.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

pram posted:

Opsec dictates that we'll meet in a public place like a Starbucks or something for the initial consultation, till I have the chance to give you an ocular patdown

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
i have an aws thing and its ok. probably i pay way more than i need to for it but internet is cheap so who cares

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

atomicthumbs posted:

While on that subject, what web servers do you all use?

nginx bitch

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

i used that but now it seems so old and outdated

fack you
Sep 12, 2002

For Life
vultr

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

that one that's run by that female car racer

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

atomicthumbs posted:

apache 4 lyfe

pram
Jun 10, 2001

atomicthumbs posted:

DaTroof posted:

apache 4 lyfe

lol at both of these posts

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe
nginx is halal, all others are haram

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

big scary monsters posted:

i have an aws thing and its ok. probably i pay way more than i need to for it but internet is cheap so who cares

aws not having ipv6 annoys the hell outta me

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Jonny 290 posted:

ocular patdown

Most people just call this an eyefucking

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

i used heroku for my idiot django project
really regret using python

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

cheese-cube posted:

aws not having ipv6 annoys the hell outta me

its launched in ohio. no idea when it will hit the rest of the regions.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

pram posted:

I do

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

atomicthumbs posted:

bus(iness)haus

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Shaman Linavi posted:

im using the free microsoft azure app service plan by microsoft powered by azure and its great except for the 30+ seconds it takes for the website to load if it hasn't been accessed in a while

have a dumb cron job that pings it once every 24 hours from home or another server

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
pingdom will let you check one website every few minutes for free, should do the job

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
ping up your rear end

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

OldAlias posted:

have a dumb cron job that pings it once every 24 hours from home or another server

Jonny 290 posted:

pingdom will let you check one website every few minutes for free, should do the job

thanks i will look in to this

one of those things i knew i could/should do but :effort:

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
:golgo:
I just have a free VM up at the hosting provider i work for. debian, nginx/mariadb/php56 for some ancient rear end sites I host, Duo for 2-factor auth for ssh/scp/sudo, and a bitlbee server and weechat client, configured with a relay that connects to a websocket enabled proxy on nginx all /w SSL to use with glowingbear. every week I back up /etc, my homedir, the webroots and dump the DBs and save them offsite, easy peasy.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

just use the cloud

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crusader_complex
Jun 4, 2012
my favorite provider has on-demand dedicated hosts, that go stand around naked in a dark room when im not being billed

• Locked thread