Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Though it might be fun to get a little mini-review/retrospective for us as a group of significant for you gear bought and sold over the last year. It would be really nice to have a little blurb, like so:

Sold - Various Orange Amps/Cabs
I started the year with a Micro Dark and a 2x12, then upgraded the Micro Dark to a Crush 120 - finally putting an MXR 5150 and JHS Andy Timmons v2 infront of them - it ended up alot of big, heavy, expensive gear with far too many dials and toggles. I traded the lot in and used a tax refund to get myself...

Bought - Friedman Runt-20 Head and 1x12 Creamback Cab
... my dream amplifier - I heard clips of this online and initially thought it was entirely hype. Having played Blackstars (where I preferred a british voicing) Fenders (which I didn't get on with at all) and Orange - I found the mid-gain on the orange to be the most pleasing. I went to a local shop wishing that they wouldn't sound as good as the demos advised - but after checking the Runt, the Pink Taco, the Dirty Shirley, a Suhr Badger 18 and even a Mesa Mk. 5:25 it was a clear winner for that plexi-through-JCM800 sound and it sounds/sounded AWESOME. Definitely not looking to change anything in this space for the foreseeable future.

Bought - Gibson Explorer 2016
I picked it up cheaply because 'the pickups rock back and forth if you push them' which AFAIK is just what uncovered, gibson pickups do - around £350 under retail and still fantastic. It sounds divine but I was a little dissapointed how much the upper bout of the body interferes with my arm position while sitting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Bought: 6505+ 112 combo, Pedaltrain nano, TS Mini, NS-2, MXR Analog Delay

I wanted a "real" guitar rig.

Sold: All that stuff. Didn't turn out how I expected it to. I don't require a bunch of versatility as I don't play guitar in any kind of professional capacity but I needed a little more than that setup provided. Did what it did exceptionally well, though. I'm going to replace it with a new Spider V setup, don't hit me.

Bought: Ibanez Talman 302M + Nordstrand NVT A3 pickups

Amazing Tele-style guitar in a faster package. The Nordstrand pickups are the best Tele pickups out there. I'm a little cheesed off that they waited to release the cheaper Nashville-style Talman until after I bought one, but I think there's a bathtub route where I could add a middle pickup if I really wanted.

Bought: Earthquaker Avalanche Run, 3Leaf Wonderlove, 3Leaf You're Doom, 1spot pro cs7, Boss RC-3

Turned the investment into my guitar rig into an expansion of my bass pedalboard. Still have a couple of things to go - expression pedals for the Wonderlove and Avalanche Run, swapping out my Keeley Bassist for an Origin Compact Bass compressor, and getting a chorus pedal.

Bought: Carvin B1000 bass head

My main head is a Baer Valkyrie, which is the best bass amp ever made. It's also a total unicorn, with around ten ever built, so while I'm not going to baby it (insurance) there are bar gigs where bringing something smaller and cheaper is more appropriate. The B1000 is a *great* complimentary head, with tons of power and small size/weight.

DEUCE SLUICE fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Dec 24, 2016

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Hmmm, this looks like a fun thread!

Bought: Gibson 335 VOS 1963

I needed a main guitar for playing that covered a lot of ground and this is it, got it new and the thing even smells good. It has loads of bluesdad details like animal hide glue, nylon saddles and poo poo but I just play the hell out of it.
it has the MHS pickups which are really nice too. it does everything I ask of it and it has actually enhanced my life by owning it, I get tons of people want to talk about it at gigs etc, it's a really cool side effect.

Bought: Epiphone Sheraton
I bought this before the guitar above with the sole purpose of making the guitar above without spending the $5000 on the guitar above. Mission Status: Complete success / failure.
It succeeded because I put in: Seymour Duncan Seth Lover pickups, CTS pots, Switchcraft switches, Gibson knobs, Gibson wiring, Grover tuners, Gotoh bridge, Tusq nut and the thing was glorious. It sounded as good as anything I have ever played. The mission was also a failure because it didn't scratch the 335 itch, it made it worse. So I sold it (for a profit!) and moved on.

Bought: Martin DRS 1
I needed an acoustic, I didn't think I wanted one however. I was wrong.
I got this to do acoustic gigs with, having only ever owned a lovely one in the past and never really liking playing it I sort of sucked it up and bought a good solid wood Martin for not too much money. This guitar has changed my playing, I really really enjoy it now. Just the fact that there is nothing but your hands and a lump of wood is so direct and wonderful to me now. I was out last night playing it until 3AM with another buddy on his. Acoustic guitars make magic memories happen imo like nothing else.

Bought: Fender Twin
hosed if I know. I pick it up next week. I just wanted a pure sounding amp and well, lets go with this. What could go wrong?

Sold: Blackstar HT 60 Stage
A truly wonderful and versatile amp. 2 x 2 combo, 3 channels and loads of modern features like an actual good emulated out etc. I sold it because I don't need it now, I bought it to get up and running really and it did its job well. No regrets, would recommend to anyone as it could do everything from nice cleans to OMG HELP ME gain. I practice with a full band and never had it louder than 3, good poo poo.

Bought: Vox 50 head
It's the biggest Night Train they do I think so I went with that. Wanted a simple valve amp to get TONEZ out of at reasonable volumes. It does do that so job done I think. More importantly it looks good.

For this I also bought a set of new Marshall Celestion somethingorothers which I don't like so much, I dunno they sound a bit boxy and I've ended up using an old cab a pal gave me.

Bought: Fulltone Fulldrive 3 and other pedal type things
Needed an overdrive, went with the obvious. It really is a flexible thing and has a seperate boost pedal built into it, good sounds and easy to use. Would recommend if you are in the Soul Food / Klon area of things all the way to Tubescreamer territory.

I've bought various bits of crap like Bigsby's and what have you, loads of stuff I forgot about.

Bought for friends!
Buying stuff for friends is well better than buying for myself, so I got pals a guitar (cheapo Les Paul I put Dimarzios in), cab (2 x 12 with Jensen speakers), Laney 15 watt valve head, Cry Baby, a couple of Polytune clip ons (amazing, get one!) and a variety of cables and picks and poo poo.

Overall it;s been a good year

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

It's kinda neat to read about everyone's new stuff.

Sold: Ibanez GSR200
My first electric bass. Great to learn on, eventually wanted something nicer and ended up with a Fender P last year. Just got around to selling this one and was sad to see it go.

Sold: Line 6 Lowdown 110
First bass amp. Felt it wasn't doing the P bass justice. Wanted to sell this and the ibanez together, took a while but finally this and the bass went to a dude who's 9 year old daughter wanted to rock out instead of playing... Cello I think?

Bought: Ampeg portaflex 500 and ampeg 1x15 cab
Sound great. Goes much louder than I need, but hey. Got both on sale at different places at different times, ended up paying a bit more for both together than just one or the other would have cost at regular prices. The cab is "used" but you can't tell. It had a rattle which I fixed by screwing the tweeter back in properly. Love the sounds this thing makes with the p bass.

Bought: Various kit guitars and electronic parts
Got into the DIY thing this year. Built a fretless j-bass, a telecaster, and a les paul from kits. Built some effects units and a tiny 1/2 watt amp from plans. Scratch-built my first ever wood object, an 8" speaker cab for the tiny amp. It all came out OK to great, which was honestly shocking to me since I started the year with no skills in this area at all.

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
diplodocus + mortarboard = party
Oops, I haven't sold anything.

Bought: some software

Bought the Fender 2 pack for Amplitube a few days ago (it sounds very good and has satisfied my desire for classic American amps), the Waves gold plugin pack, and Superior Drummer. I'm still way into Amplitube, but I've barely touched the latter two yet because ~other life things~ have been intruding.

Bought: BKP Nailbombs

My SG is my oldest and favorite guitar to play, but I just wasn't that into the pickups. After I got a Les Paul with BKP Mules in it, that was doubly true; the stock Gibson pickups were muddy and flabby with low tunings. I went back and forth on what pickups to put in for the longest time, and I finally went with Nailbombs (ceramic bridge) and set it up in D standard. that guitar sounds like a monster now. I love it.

Bought: a very well-insulated room

Well, okay, I haven't quite got it yet, but soon I'll have a soundproofed room in my new place. My contractor thinks I'm insane for the amount of sound insulation I'm requesting. Once that's done, new desk and some monitors are next and I am so pumped.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

I wanted a "real" guitar rig.

And so you're doing your guitar work with simulators now? I'm really throwing my toys out of the pram with the computer these days, trying to figure out how I can extricate myself but drums. DRUMS. what a oval office.

peter gabriel posted:

Bought: Gibson 335 VOS 1963
I needed a main guitar for playing that covered a lot of ground and this is it, got it new and the thing even smells good. It has loads of bluesdad details like animal hide glue, nylon saddles and poo poo but I just play the hell out of it.

I like the IDEA of a 335 alot more than I think I would enjoy the 335 itself. That price is loving eye-watering though - north of 3k!?

Professor Science posted:

Oops, I haven't sold anything.

Bought: some software

Bought the Fender 2 pack for Amplitube a few days ago (it sounds very good and has satisfied my desire for classic American amps), the Waves gold plugin pack, and Superior Drummer.

See above, please let me know how you get on with SD. I'm very close to chucking the whole PC recording thing in the bin and Drums are literally the only thing stopping me at this point. I'm even trying to figure out how I can use something like an Arturia Drumbrute in concert with an early thrash/black metal sound. (I figure they'll work as-is for that synth laden Vai sound)

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Southern Heel posted:

I like the IDEA of a 335 alot more than I think I would enjoy the 335 itself. That price is loving eye-watering though - north of 3k!?

They are great, it was expensive but gently caress it, you only live once and all that. You can absolutely approximate it by getting a Sheraton and some nice pickups if you want to test the waters, you don't have to go full idiot like me. You hit a chord and you hear sounds off records, it's that kind of guitar.
It gets used and abused though, first thing I did was get a Gator case for it cos the case it came with is a custom thing and I was in the ridiculous position of being paranoid about a case getting dinged at gigs for a short while :negative:

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

peter gabriel posted:

They are great, it was expensive but gently caress it, you only live once and all that. You can absolutely approximate it by getting a Sheraton and some nice pickups if you want to test the waters, you don't have to go full idiot like me. You hit a chord and you hear sounds off records, it's that kind of guitar.
It gets used and abused though, first thing I did was get a Gator case for it cos the case it came with is a custom thing and I was in the ridiculous position of being paranoid about a case getting dinged at gigs for a short while :negative:

I used to have a Custom Shop '59 335 that I sold. I've bought and sold a lot of guitars and of all of them, that's the only one that feels like it was a mistake. I'm not sure if it is because I really liked it or if it is because I don't think I will ever find one nicer than it was.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

peter gabriel posted:

They are great, it was expensive but gently caress it, you only live once and all that.

Can I introduce you to https://www.thefretboard.co.uk where wrinklies discuss which of their CS Strats sounds warmer and/or whether their R8 or R9 has more sustain? I'm only kidding, just envious :(

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Southern Heel posted:

Can I introduce you to https://www.thefretboard.co.uk where wrinklies discuss which of their CS Strats sounds warmer and/or whether their R8 or R9 has more sustain? I'm only kidding, just envious :(

I don't really fit in with those kind of guys, I like nice stuff but it gets played like a fucker. I believe music should make you happy and if that means sitting in your room polishing stuff then that's cool, but it's so not me :v: I'll never forget the multi page thread about whether Jimmy Page's tone was affected by his tuning pegs I once saw, ha ha, I love stuff like that because it is so ridiculous and the guys thrashing it out all had boutique amps and mint R8s in their forum sigs.

Shiroc posted:

I used to have a Custom Shop '59 335 that I sold. I've bought and sold a lot of guitars and of all of them, that's the only one that feels like it was a mistake. I'm not sure if it is because I really liked it or if it is because I don't think I will ever find one nicer than it was.

There is something nice about having a custom shop, I dunno, it does float my boat I must admit. I fell in love with the specs on this though and it being a VOS or CS or whatever was secondary for sure. I know I'd feel like you if I sold mine too, the plan is it is a life long guitar for sure. Others may come and go but this will stay :)

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Bought: Squier Bronco Bass, Makala Waterman, EHX Nano Looper, and a BYOC Lazy Sprocket.

Sold: Tascam DP-008EX, Line 6 KB37, and a DigiTech Digiverb.

The Bronco Bass is quite a bit of fun, as is the Makala, and really everything on the "bought" list is fun in their own right. Likewise, everything on the "sold" list was kind of getting on my nerves--the keyboard especially.

Any gear resolutions for you all?

Personally, while I'm conflicted, I want to continue to thin out my collection. The trouble is I don't know what I should offer up. The classical, one of the electrics (or both), another pedal or two?

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Southern Heel posted:

And so you're doing your guitar work with simulators now?

A Line6 Amplifi FX100, actually. It's basically all I need tonally but I'd like a more traditional and self-contained form factor, which is why I think the Spider V is going to work out for me. The built in wireless is neat, too.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
Bought:

KRK Rokit 6 Powered Monitors
Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface
Condenser Microphone and Pop Shield
Ableton Live Suite v9
Serum VST
Native Instruments Traktor Kontrol S2

So I may have gone a little overboard this year but I started really getting into production/DJing and couldn't stop buying toys. Probably didn't need to buy the Traktor S2 as I ended up going further down the production path than the DJ path but I hope to pick it up this coming year.

Having trouble deciding what to spend XMas money on now. The Push 2 looks incredible and the integration with Ableton Live seems amazing. I'm just not convinced it's the best use of $650 if I want to be a better producer. My other thought was purchasing the FabFilter Pro VST pack. It seems like that group of plugins are a standard in mixing/mastering.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Bought
Kawai ES8
New laptop (only half counts as I'm using it for other stuff)

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I bought some great crap this year:

- a sexy blue alto sax. It's shiny and sounds good that's all I know about it.
- sure SMB7 and then a cloud lifter because it's quiet AF.
- Guitar strings.

El Miguel
Oct 30, 2003
Bought: a Squier Vintage Modified Bass VI (Olympic White). I love it. I've read all the complaints about needing a new bridge, tuning problems, etc. I've had no problems at all. I'm basically a guitar player rather than a bass player, so I mostly intended to play it like a guitar. What I find, however, is that I don't record with anything else at all, because this thing is so versatile. I play it like a bass for the bass parts, I play it like a guitar for the guitar parts, and I record entire songs where this is the only instrument used. It's fabulous. And thanks to Black Friday, I got it brand-spanking-new for about $350. I'm pretty happy.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.
Bought: Large amounts of strings, Orange TH 30, Childress Uilleann Chanter in D.

Finally bought a big ol' tube amp this year thanks to a lucky pawn shop score (300 for the amp!), and I love having a chance to play.

My big musical investment was finally getting into learning the uilleann pipes. I've always loved bagpipes and Irish traditional music, so it was a huge step to actually pay the stupid amount it costs to get a beginner chanter and start practicing, and I love it more than anything I've had a chance to play with. It's a hell of a time to keep it in shape, but I finally found a teacher who's reasonably close and is willing to teach me proper reedmaking skills.

Built: Fender Tweed Clone, Marshall 18W clone, numerous pedals, five assorted cigar box guitars, and a dozen odd pedals.

This was the big one in terms of re-engaging with music. I've been building and maintaining a lot of equipment, and it's been a huge help in appreciating the work that goes into a single instrument. Plus, it's a good little side income.

Sold: Cigar box ukulele, cigar box mandolin, a couple of cigar box guitars, countless little repair jobs, old Squier bass

See above for most of this. Kinda great to know music equipment repairs can be a decent side gig, even if it just covers strings.

Resolutions: Play more on the pipes. Actually get some band stuff off the ground.

hug a mexican
Jul 8, 2010
i got a pastel orange microbrute for like $150 and that's probably the only thing of worth. it may or may not have been stolen, since it was sold by a constantly twitching man wearing a tracksuit, but still a good find

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Not really bought since I got it for free off CL, but I picked up an Acoustic 140 head with an Ampeg 1x15 cab.
I needed a better bass amp so I don't kill my Epi Valve Jr by playing bass through it.

It's a simple amp but it's loud as hell I've only turned it up to about 5 so far and I'm not sure I'll ever need to turn it up higher than that.
Someday I'll get my Ampeg V4B cab out of storage and run it through that.

I sold a random cheap acoustic guitar at a yard sale this summer. It was just sitting around collecting dust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steiler Drep
Nov 30, 2004
what?
Throughout the last year I've acquired and gotten rid of several stuff, so here's the highlights!

Bought: Yamaha HS7

Previously worked with Tannoy and KRK Rokits, so I wanted something different as I found my lower end struggling. Although the HS7 doesn't have the ample low-end HS8's give you, it does force you into not overloading your basses too much. Does give plenty of detail over all frequencies, so unless you're a DJ looking for bass-heavy monitors, you might find these as that perfect middle ground before dropping bigger bucks in bigger monitors.

Bought: Focusrite Clarett 4Pre

After acquiring a newer Macbook Pro and learning the firewire-thunderbolt support for my previous Saffire interface really sucks, I found I needed the Thunderbolt upgrade. It's the bees knees. Not only is the latency THAT much notable (drummer can't distinguish if he hears the snare earlier on his headphones or acoustically), but the AIR thing does give choices for recording. I wouldn't necessarily use it all the time, as you do get some high-end crisp and "air", but lose out on low-end detail notable from Focusrite's cleaner preamps. Routing options are stellar for the price range and I do feel the higher input headroom benefits for higher dynamic range recordings, but I also feel I could have waited longer for something by Antelope Audio. Nevertheless, I couldn't be happier with this interface paired with a Octopre, I honestly don't feel I need anything else to record a full band.

Sold: Ukulele, Crybaby Wah

Never got the hang of these things. loving glad I got rid of it, sometimes you just got to accept you're not going to dwell much into some instruments and effects.

Bought: Electrovoice RE20

Seems like the right choice always is an SM7b. But almost all sound engineers I've befriended have one of these, so I end up borrowing when doing vocals. I didn't want to go with what everyone els has, as living in Costa Rica limits choices, so I decided to get one of these. I've heard these are best on vocals and bass drums, but I'm really digging the full bodied sound these capture from snares. Sure, large diaphragm microphones are beasts on the lower register, but I quite love what's going on with this guy and somehow things have more punch than before (however, I still can't decide if I prefer the Shure on vocals over this, I've only had it for a month and haven't mixed any vocals with it)

Bought: Tobias Growler 4-string bass

I've played mostly guitar throughout my music life, so I settled with a Squier P-Bass since it's all I needed. Wrong. A friend left this Tobias with Bartolini pickups and who knows what else, and I slowly started playing more and more with it and just having a nice set up and good pickups makes it all that much more fun, so I had to buy it. Now playing in a new band, I think this thing really makes my playing shine through, as it has the widest options of sounds I've found on any bass (although I pretty much just use a couple of sounds), and although pricier than those Sire basses everybody is talking about, a bass guitar upgrade does open you up to that whole world. It's a little over a decade old, so it also feels like the wood has settled in, can't really explain as I'm not well versed in what's good in the bass world. I'm just convinced this is the best bass I've had the chance to play with.

Thought I'd share on these, GAS has hit me hard this last year. I'm going for those Telefunken M60 overheads soon and some newer stuff after I sell my car, so hopefully I'll post something in a few months :).

Steiler Drep fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Mar 18, 2017

• Locked thread