Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Stellaris, yes/no? Nova edition?

Any of the DLC must-have?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe
Just picked up a steam controller and steam link on sale. Does the link work very well? I've got a nice new smart tv but somehow I just feel pretty skeptical that it can play games without massive latency.

A LOVELY LAD
Feb 8, 2006

Hey man, wanna hear a secret?

College Slice
The new bad rats is on sale.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Zore posted:

Stellaris

yes

quote:

Nova edition?

no

quote:

Any of the DLC must-have?

from what i hear leviathans is pretty alright, but not must have by any means.

edit: wait.. nova edition is cheaper than the base game? must be a pricing error. well in that case it's worth it, sure. it's basically just another set of portraits.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Buy the Quell games, the Hexcells games, Squarelogic and Enigmatis 2 and 3.

Namaste

These are excellent recommendations for casual puzzle fun, but I am adding two notable omissions!

Also pick up Blockwick 2 and Grandpa's Table. The latter is very similar to Quell while also having a bit of Blockwick in there.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Koramei posted:

yes

no

I was just asking because Nova edition is in error and cheaper than just the regular game right now.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Yeah I just updated my post. Worth it in that case for sure.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Relin posted:

i assume steam is doing better all the time? just personally, i don't really see friends buy games during the big sales any more. and they aren't big game hoarders like me. and i'm in the age range of people who spend the most on games

nothing on my 20 item wishlist is even 50% off. i know it's the same song and dance about sales being worse every time but there's my 2 cents

Do you think it might be that, being a big game hoarder, you've already bought most of the games that interest you?

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Stupid loving queue keeps crashing to a white screen so i can't even get the lovely 7cent trading cards for clicking "not interested " on 20 odd games.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
How did Satellite Reign turn out?

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Relin posted:

i assume steam is doing better all the time? just personally, i don't really see friends buy games during the big sales any more. and they aren't big game hoarders like me. and i'm in the age range of people who spend the most on games

nothing on my 20 item wishlist is even 50% off. i know it's the same song and dance about sales being worse every time but there's my 2 cents

There like, maybe, 5 or 6 games on Steam worth buying every year and you probably bought them when they launched.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.
Crafting / Survival pick time!

Planet Explorers
Empyrion Galactic Survival
Starmade
Astroneer (not on sale)
Boundless (Not on Sale)
Osiris

Any other spacey building crafting game thing. I do have Space Engineers :)

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Relin posted:

I got Arkham Asylum for five dollars ages ago. That's ruined me for later Steam sales which apparently don't give a poo poo about how old, how big, or how popular a game is. Like oh wow Mini Metro dropped to 6 bucks from a historic 7 on every sale. I GOT ARKHAM FRICKIN ASYLUM FOR LESS. Nobody seems to run monster discounts anymore.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Taima posted:

Yes! The best part of any Steam sale is trying to get a price error discount. A long time ago they had the Dishonored complete edition for $2.49 which was ludicrous at the time, that was the best error I've ever gotten personally. I'm sure better ones exist historically.

Metro Last Light for 1 cent was pretty rad. Although I think that was a different vendor. Possibly Best Buy or Gamestop or something.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Man Steam is not happy.

Also there's a gift train thread up! :woop:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3802582

Two Piece
Jul 30, 2011

~*wonk*~
I've got a GMG account and got DOOM for like £11 with the WINTER10 code

Jesus Christ though 66gb download tho :filez: :wtf:

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Relin posted:

Check again, Megadimension Neptunia VII is 60% off.

Retroblique
Oct 16, 2002

Now the wild world is lost, in a desert of smoke and straight lines.

Avasculous posted:

For my part, I remember impulse buying a bunch of random poo poo in genres I never play like LA Noire and Assassin's Creed because they were suddenly $5, less than a year after release. I don't think I've bought anything in the last few sales.
Yep, if dropping the daily deals works for Steam then that's obviously what they need to do, but I'm also in the "bought waaaaay less than I've done in previous sales" camp. For most summer/winter sales I was checking in every six hours for the flash deals and community deals, as well as daily for the new deals, and would buy anywhere from 20-30 new games every sale. Ever since they dropped the daily/flash/community deals I've bought maybe 2-3 games per sale.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Bruce Boxlicker posted:

Just picked up a steam controller and steam link on sale. Does the link work very well? I've got a nice new smart tv but somehow I just feel pretty skeptical that it can play games without massive latency.

I only notice latency in the first minute of booting it up. It's not perfect but if you have a very beefy machine to run it, I say get one. The controllers are weird but you'll get used to them.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.

Bruce Boxlicker posted:

Yes works flawlessly but there are a couple of important things to note:
1. I HAD to get power AC adapters to get it to work without lag or screen issues. These cost around 80 bucks. Having either side wireless didnt work well. Unless your home network is stupid fast. Mine is not.
2. Some games have loaders (like pop-ups where something has to be selected first before the game runs). In my experience these are USUALLY not an issue. Skyrim, for example, ignores it and loads into the game. Sometimes this isnt the case.
3. Sound. The way it is supposed to work is you press the steam button on it and it switches the hdmi over to the right source and it loads in big picture mode. For whatever reason, in my experience, it refuses to switch over the audio on the pc to stream it to the steam link. So i have to change the audio source on my pc first before i am going to use it. Maybe there is somethign I dont know. But i couldnt get the audio to work otherwise.
4. You can use a wireless ps4 controller also. Just keep that in mind.

Bonus: You can run emulators or minecraft on the steam link and they work fine.

Edit; Kerbel Space Program is 13 bucks. Well gently caress.

strategery fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Dec 22, 2016

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Any thoughts on the new Hitman game series?
I loved all of them except for Absolution.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
Yeah, the discounts are definitely not as deep as the ones that made Steam Sales, well, Steam Sales. Even old games and remakes like Ikaruga, Grandia II, and the FFs are not really "cheap" by Steam Sale standards. It's harder to justify dropping the kind of money I used to when I get less out of it.

Then again, a lot of the magic of Steam Sales are the less-known titles that go for like $1.74. There are just so many Greenlight/Indie games now that it's hard to know what exactly is good, but I'm sure there are some Beatbuddy/Noitu Love/Long Live the Queen gems sitting around in there somewhere. It'll just take more searching.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
What's the port of Dark Souls II like?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Justin_Brett posted:

Just buy the Scholar of The First Sin edition and you'll be fine.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Justin_Brett posted:

Pretty much the best in the series.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Justin_Brett posted:

Good. If it's cheap, jump on that.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Justin_Brett posted:

Very smooth - best way to play the game (scholar of sins version at least)

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Koramei posted:

Leviathans is totally worth it if you like the game, imo. It isn't revolutionary but it adds a lot of cool things to make the middle-end game more interesting and give you a few more options for how to run your empire. If the game doesn't click with you, Leviathans won't fix that, but if you like the game and just want a few more interesting things to find and do, it's totally worth it.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Inzombiac posted:

The always online thing can be an issue if your connection isn't reliable (although going offline doesn't render it unplayable), but aside from that the general vibe is that it's amongst the best Hitman games and probably one of the best games released this year.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Weehhhhh everything I want is still $30 lol

I was hoping GTA V was gonna notch down another $10 this time around. Is GTA Online still a heinous wasteland of hackers?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I've read that Dark Souls PC is a crap port, still worth playing?

Also gently caress yeah finally getting Doom! :v:

(getting the new one too ofc)

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Enourmo posted:

Yeah, there is a fan patch that makes it good. Look up DSFix if you pick it up.

La Fin Du Mondale
Aug 22, 2004

Enourmo posted:

Yeah, it's fine with a bit of tweaking. I'm sure there is a Steam guide to get it up to speed.

Sonel
Sep 14, 2007
Lipstick Apathy

Inzombiac posted:

It follows the older games a lot more with some mechanics from absolution brought in and made better. Such as you still have instinct but it's more to help you spot targets and items in the environment/ interactive spots. You can save anywhere and when you load it won't re spawn enemies. Less of an emphasis on a terribly written story. It's a good game.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Inzombiac posted:

Friends!

I have a Steam link and two controllers.
Recommend to be split screen games to play with my GF!
The more mindless explosions the better.

edit: What the hell. MGSV is not on sale :(

Rampage Knights is pretty drat good! Think castle crashers with random levels and weapons. Unlike most other roguelites you can scale down on the difficulty to a point where there's almost no frustration in dying, so pretty fun to play with casual gamers, unlike Nuclear Throne or Gungeon (gently caress gungeon)

Also castle crashers.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

GMG seems to be beating the Steam prices by a few dollars as long as you use the WINTER10 code. However, I overpaid for Shadow Warrior 2 by $2 since I didn't notice that Steam had an additional discount on the game if you bought it as part of the Shadow Warrior collection :(

betamax hipster
Aug 13, 2016

Enourmo posted:

In the sense that it didn't have a lot of settings and stuff we expect a PC game to have, yes, but it was at worst equivalent to its console versions. DSFix handles the most glaring issues.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Big thanks to Xander77 for Blue Estate!

betamax hipster
Aug 13, 2016
Is the Turok remake worth $5?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Going on dlcompare and searching for the game you want beats Steam sales pretty much 99.9% of the time.

I bought the new season the Walking Dead for E18 last night compared to the Steam sale price of E23.

• Locked thread