Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Edmond Dantes posted:

Whoa, abzu for ~5.50. If I loved Journey, will I like this?

You can ride an orca

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Awesome! posted:

civ beyond earth is still not worth playing with the expansion right?

I got the expansion on sale a while back.

You are correct, it is not.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Jordan7hm posted:

How is this as a pc game. Does it have AI / is the AI total garbage?

It has AI. It knows how to make you Defcon suicide and that Iran is important. It seems all right

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Nehru the Damaja posted:

If you want the good parts of The Secret World and not the extraneous MMO trash that was tied to the excellent writing, get The Black Watchmen instead. It's by the team that did TSW's amazing investigation missions, and you don't have to do mmo bullshit.

Like TSW's investigations, you do real-world research and use real world tools with a bit of extra info gathered from the game itself. poo poo is difficult but rarely feels outright unfair.

I am glad I learned about the existence of this game. I am assuming it does not have a character as amazing as the Illuminati faction handler in the Secret World, though. (Anyone who plays the Secret World, they may say you can choose your faction but that is a lie, you have to play as the Illuminati)

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Mystic Stylez posted:

TSW sounds awesome with the investigations and all, but my experience was running around doing some pretty pointless MMO quests while shooting zombies with a lovely combat/crafting system and an overblown skill system. I probably played it wrong?! :shrug:

I gave TSW a lot of slack because I dug the themes, and yet I couldn't even stick with it past like the second main area because of the grindy combat encounters. I got a second copy of the game with one of the recent Humble Bundles so I think I might try it again.

I just really love any milieu that mixes modern-day cities with the supernatural (Vampire is one of my favorite games of all time) and so I would be willing to try any game that does something in that space

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

BigRed0427 posted:

question for Rise of Tomb Raider. The Syria level is clearly just a prequel mission. Am I able to go back to it later in the game for collectables?

Once you beat the story you can fast travel back there

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

ZIGfried posted:

Built my 10 year old niece a rig I'm jealous of for Christmas this year. What are some good steam games for her? Here's my list so far.

Scribblenauts
Broken Age
Minecraft: Story Mode
Terraria
Stardew Valley
Maybe Disney Infinity would be good for her? The Steam version just has everything unlocked no toys required

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I would get Endless Legend instead of either of those.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Endless Legend is one world, yes. It's from the Endless Space team and they learned a lot of lessons from ES that they put into it. They probably learned more from EL that they will apply to Endless Space 2 which should be coming in 2017.

If you want a space 4X-type game right now I would recommend Stellaris

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

My gold standard for enjoyment in any first-person or third-person action game is whether you can instant-kill melee and how it feels. Dying Light is very good on this scale. On the other hand, The Division is terrible on it

Edit: excuse me, should read Tom Clancy's The Division™

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Dec 26, 2016

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Dying Light co-op is great because it doesn't require that much coordination or synchronization. You can play as much as you want on your own (and there are plenty of sidequests and activities to do) and then just drop into the game of whomever is earliest in the story. Things move briskly enough and the gameplay is good enough that repeating missions does not feel like that much of a chore.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

Black Closet.

Is this Long Live the Queen but in high school? Or a creepy sex game? Because I love LLTQ

It got a little weirder than I expected it to get. But not fully creepy. And it's like a small fraction of the game that you have to push on through concerted effort in dialogue, not like the main thing.

But it does have a bit more Visual Novel in the blood than just a straight-up management game which is what I thought it was going to be. The non-anime art option may disguise this for some people

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Blood Dragon is not great. Just skip all the way to Far Cry Primal

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Fuzz posted:

Young babby that didn't live through the 80s/early 90s spotted.

More like I did live through that era and am tired of the nostalgia trip. Game isn't funny, it looks ugly, and the sex thing is weird and not funny.

In Far Cry Primal you can pet over a dozen different animals and ride a bear

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Far Cry Primal is second only to Far Cry 2, I'd say

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

HPanda posted:

It definitely gives that feeling of danger early on when I can just barely take down a regular zombie before running out of breath. Guessing this will change based on videos. Haven't had a real night yet, just that fake one in the prologue, so looking forward to getting caught unawares by the time. By the way, any way to tell the time apart from the sun? I looked around the menus but didn't see anything. The character has a watch, but not sure how to look at it.

Yeah, the day-night cycle only starts once you pass a certain part in the story. Once that happens you should be able to see a clock on your map/inventory screen

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Most of the DLC is cosmetic and kind of pointless. Each of the major "expansion packs" makes some group not playable in the base game playable, or expands on gameplay options for playable groups. So if you have any interest in playing: Muslims, Vikings, Aztecs, merchant houses, the Byzantines, Jews, nomads, or Indians, you can get the ones that appeal to you. Way of Life, Conclave, and Reaper's Due also add broader gameplay options to characters across the board.

Basically the ones listed at the top of the page are worth considering: http://www.ckiiwiki.com/Downloadable_content#Expansions

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Basically, big gameplay changes which affect the "rules" of the game comes out in patches, such as extending the map. However things which specifically affect your gameplay experience and choices sometimes get locked behind DLC. For example, normally your armies get levied from the population of your territory and the territory of your vassals. If you want to have the option for a permanent standing army, you have to get the Legacy of Rome DLC to use retinues.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I was going to buy some games in this sale but I keep on just playing Nuclear Throne instead

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I mean, I didn't mind the driving in Dying Light DLC because running down zombies and exploding them with electric fields never got old for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Spuzzz posted:

Did they ever fix Beyond Earth? I found the demo to be pretty bad.

It is bad and continues to be bad even after the expansion. Skip.

• Locked thread