Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Lester Shy posted:

I've never played a Final Fantasy game, but I've always wanted to try FFX. Are the "Auto-save and 5 game boosters including high speed and no encounter modes" in the HD remaster enough to adjust the game to my modern sensibilities, or will I still have to grind?

It helps that FFX has a legitimately good battle system that is enjoyable to play. You don't really need to grind that much for the main game, but the secret superbosses all do require some grinding to take on.

ffx-2 is itself a really fun game. I'm seriously weighing up getting the pack just for that, but honestly I'm not sure I can justify the purchase this season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Both good shadow run games (Dragonfall and Hong Kong) are the cheapest they have been in a sale and are excellent value for the price. They are seriously two of the most immersive RPG's I have played in a long time, with great writing and rewarding progression to them and seriously are well worth picking up at the price if you even have just a passing interest in the games.

Returns is not so good purely because the campaign is short and lacks the depth of the other two games.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

Mystic Stylez posted:

Does it mean I should skip Returns even if I have it and start with Dragonfall?

Dragonfall is significantly better, and leaves a better impression though Return's campaign is only about 8 hours long at most and is very linear. If you have any fondness for the old 16 bit shadowrun games there's some call backs in it that might make a good impression, but honestly Dragonfall is probably the better starting point.

If you do start with Returns and find you're not enjoying it definitely move right onto Dragonfall. It feels like a much more complete game and the missions and narrative are all much better.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

Axel Serenity posted:

How is American Truck Sim, anyway? And are the controls any better for gamepads? I could never get Euro-Truck to work well with an X-Box controller without a game profiler, but I really wanna cruise up and down the Best Coast for chill times.

ATS recently had a major patch to rescale the map which has made it feel like a whole new experience. On release the biggest problem with it was lack of content: the map scaling and layout of roads combined with the time compression meant that every journey was a sprint and it wasn't as relaxing to drive. They've solved this now with the rescale and it feels much closer to ETS in being laid back. The biggest difference is that the lots and delivery points have been given more personality than in ETS, even when there wasn't much in the way of cities to visit each delivery felt different, made more so by the more challenging parking system.

At the moment there's still only three states, but the game looks beautiful and it's constantly being patched with new content. Also at the moment the game is doing it's annual Christmas deliveries challenge which will unlock some stuff in both ETS and ATS if you deliver ten loads of presents.

Control pad wise, its more or less the same as with ETS. I've had no problems with using a dualshock on it, but if you're having problems the truck sim thread normally had people in it that can help with set up.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

Having more or less sat out this sale due to spending far too much on presents for family this year, I'm thinking about picking up maybe one purchase in these last couple of hours. Someone was talking up the black watchmen, but how does the game hold up now the live activities from the first couple of season have died out?

I'm torn between it and Sherlock: Crime and Punishment.

• Locked thread