Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Too Shy Guy posted:

Someone mentioned Starbound earlier in one of these threads, and I see it's coming up for a vote tomorrow. I've been putting hours into it recently, and much to my disappointment I'm ready to call it quits.

Money is easily the worst part, because you need tons for everything you want to do, but at the base difficulty you lose a full THIRD of what you've earned when you die. And you're going to die a fair bit unless you're terribly cautious, because enemies are aggressive and do loads of damage, and even just falling a short distance can end your fragile life. It's crushing because every time I sit down to play I start out optimistic and eager to find or build new things, and then 20 minutes later the same walls start rising up again to get in my way.

Yeah no matter how hardcore of a gamer you are just play it on ~casual~ difficulty, monsters will still kill you and you'll lose progress exploring but you won't maddeningly lose large amounts of currency and randomly drop important items when you die.

After playing a couple of the early access versions a few years ago and playing the release version I was very disappointed with the result :(

I mean I definitely got my $15 worth or whatever but there was much more potential there, and they even took out fully functioning and fun systems and features between those versions and the final one, not sure if you can get some back through the Steam workshop now which has quite a bit of content for the game to fill in the gaps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Ularg posted:

MGR was my first introduction to both Metal Gear and character action games. It's probably great to get into the genre of games by starting at the best. Platinum pride themselves on being accessible to new players.

Yeah it was pretty much my first game in the genre and I picked it up pretty quick and beat it on hard with only a couple of roadblocks (and they were mainly from keyboard + mouse messing up some of the precision cuts than the game's fault)

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Ularg posted:

I don't know how long left we have on the sale, but you should definitely consider picking up Binary Domain. It's $3.99 and I've been having a blast with it. You'll want to buy the collection, though, the one with DLC bundled in because that's the thing that's discounted, not the base game.

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/27824/

Here's a good video talking about what makes it so good, might have spoilers but the big ones are telegraphed so you can skip them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j66cTc95XK8

The store page has a big timer near the top, eight and a half hours remain.

• Locked thread