Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

Are players still pissed at X-com 2 or have patches solved some of the issues? I want to buy it because I liked the first one (and it stopped working for some reason, so I uninstalled it...), but the disparity between review ratings and angry Steam/metacritic users is pretty big. Also not sure about that timer issue, I prefer to play games the way the creators intended it instead of modding. I enjoyed the first game playing "normal" difficulty on ironman, is that a viable path to go now with this game (assuming no mods installed)?

Any old-fashioned and pretty Point'n clicks released this year and on sale now (not episode games, unless the whole thing is sold as one and fits together)?

If the first Tomb Raider ran like an angel on my laptop with 50-60 FPS, should I expect to be happy with Rise of the Tomb Raider as well?

Bolivar fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Dec 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

Clouseau posted:

Shardlight by Wadjet Eye from this year is pretty good. Not my favorite of theirs, but certainly a solid point and clicker. If you haven't gotten it yet, I highly highly reccomend Technobabylon from last year also from them.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I just can't get past the VGA graphics from 1993 that Wadjet Eye uses. I know I used the word "old-fashioned" but the above mentioned Journey Down is a good example of old-fashioned yet relevant. It just feels too fake to use graphics from 1993, that poo poo was old in 1995 already. I feel like I need to get another laser surgery if I play Primordia any further.

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

Is there something like a spring sale on Steam and is it similar to this so that you would expect to get the same stuff on sale that's now on sale? Just wondering how much I want to buy "backlog" since it's likely that I can't be arsed to buy from any other sites or platforms besides Steam or possibly GoG in the foreseeable future.

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

Ended up with this haul from the sale (prices in EUR). Spec ops, Sleeping dogs and Braid were games that I hadn't heard of before reading this thread :tipshat:
Grim Fandango is one that I played through 2-3 times, but that was 10+ years ago... so I might enjoy it again, especially if there's some concept art to see while playing.

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

Kanfy posted:

And Grim Fandango Remastered has optional developer commentary you can turn on which is pretty cool if you've already played through the game in the past.

Ah man, that sounds unfortunate since I'm unlikely to play through it more than once (this time around) and I owned it before Steam was a thing. If I understood you correctly, that the game doesn't allow me to turn it on before I've completed it once with that copy (?).
At work now, might as well check when I get home...

Bolivar fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Dec 27, 2016

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

Germans with their zombie sensorship :ughh:
I used to live there in the 90s, I remember how buying Duke Nukem 3D from behind the counter felt like buying illegal drugs :gary:

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

Shadow225 posted:

People have been saying this for literally 4 years now. The only thing that has changed is that everyone probably already owns the Borderlands 2, Left 4 Dead, Terraria, Dishonored, etc because they've been 5 bucks for years. The sales honestly haven't gotten worse, we just have a lot of the big things.

Pretty much this. I didn't play any games at all between 2012-2015, and before that I didn't buy games in digital format. So there's just a massive assortment of great games that I should try out. Way more than I have time or energy to play, but no big deal. You guys just have such big collections probably :D Go live in a Tibetan monastery for a few years and then come back to see if there's something on Steam sale.

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

Downs Duck posted:

I mean, come one, I love the art in this game, but if this is the supposedly great AI they are selling the game on, color me extremely unimpressed. It's immersion breaking on another level.

Well maybe he saw you, but didn't give a poo poo.
:tipshat:

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

Am I missing something? If I check that sausage game from Steamcharts, it tells me pretty much that nobody in the world is playing the game.
http://steamcharts.com/app/353540

It does have 173 Steam reviews though (172 of which are positive). Which sounds like a lot. So, eh, everyone who buys the game writes a review?
If nobody buys the game, shouldn't they just suck it up and price it at 9.95 and see people actually playing the game?
These numbers just make little sense to me. I just learned about this Steamcharts site today and I've been browsing player numbers from games that I've played or bought, and sometimes the numbers seem too low for my logic.

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

I'm intrigued by Sunless sea , but I don't seem to understand the concept if I just loot at screenshots/trailer or read Steam reviews. Apparently it has great writing (and lots of it) so that's why I'm interested. But what kind of things do you read and why? How is immersion created in the game?

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

Xander77 posted:

When I need to find out what a game is like, I generally check the LP archive.

Thanks, I can see it clearer now. Think I'll finish the great games on my backlog and take another look at this game during next bigger sale.

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

Darkhold posted:

Skylines is pretty good. It's mostly about managing traffic and watching your city grow so for a chill sit back and relax game it's pretty good unless you're the type to stress about all the garbage collection symbols that will pop up and obsess over the traffic snarls you'll create.

What's the best historical city building game these days? I have a feeling that I would get bored before mastering the learning curve in a modern city building game, but I remember how I used to enjoy Caesar III back in the days.

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

Away all Goats posted:

Of games that are on sale, Dawn of Discovery is probably the best fit for a historical city builder

I'll have a look. "Anno 1404" in Euro Steam.

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

Think I'll probably pick up Wolfenstein TNO and Shadowrun - dragonfall since I don't have too much of a backlog and next bigger sale isn't until June I think?
Guess I'm open for some random last day- suggestions for games under 5 eur/$ which don't have too much of a learning curve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Rip and Tear your budget apart by getting DOOM as well. RIP AND TEAR!

I HEAR YOU MAN, but I looked into it, and apparently the GTX950M of my laptop is fine for Wolfenstein but crap for Doom. And it would be a bit pointless to play Doom if it doesn't feel fluent. I'll probably just grab it for five bucks once I buy a new PC.

• Locked thread