Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Looking at grabbing Final Fantasy VIII, IX, and the X / X-2 HD remasters but I've heard certain Final Fantasy releases on Steam (mainly the SNES versions and VII) should be avoided and instead emulated. Anyone able to vouch for the quality of 8 through 10?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

fenrif posted:

...You want to play a cRPG and don't want to engage in dialogue with NPCs?

Not what he meant. There are two main characters you play as and they argue against each other. In co-op this is a silly mechanic. In singleplayer this is weird.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Leper Residue posted:

All of those work great on pc, I never had problems with VII either. The Xx-2 remasters run great too, they look really good.

The pre psx games are the ones to avoid, 3 especially. 6 is just ugly as all sin.

Spiderdrake posted:

Eight you need to replace the music. It's easy to do, but you NEED to do it apparently. It worked fine.

The SNES version is a phone port and doesn't look great, but you can mod it some of the way back. It's kinda overpriced for an ancient game though.

I think VII benefits from some modding as well, I think you replace some of the textures and models? I played VII and VIII on steam and I didn't notice any problems.

Thanks to both of you guys, I'll take that as the go-ahead for them not being bad ports!

Yeah, one of the Steam reviews for VIII was absolutely livid about it using midi music instead of wave or something similar so I'll look into replacing it I guess.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Grabbed Soulreaver. It was one of the reasons I begged my folks to buy me a Dreamcast but they never did. Thank you kind Goon!

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I'd actually argue DOOM will run better than TW3 or RotTR. It's a real well built game.

Out of those I'd place Witcher 3 at the top, but as you said your time may be limited.

In that case, get DOOM. It's a contender for GotY.

Haven't played the other two but everything I've seen makes them look like they're not even in the same league of fun.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Endless Legend is one world, yes. It's from the Endless Space team and they learned a lot of lessons from ES that they put into it. They probably learned more from EL that they will apply to Endless Space 2 which should be coming in 2017.

If you want a space 4X-type game right now I would recommend Stellaris

I would absolutely avoid Stellaris. It's so content lite right now that there's nothing to it beyond your first five or six hours with it. Wait for a year or two and buy it with all the DLC they'll put out to fix it.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

mike12345 posted:

I already own Endless Legend, but never touched it. Are any of the DLC worth picking up?

If you play the game, sure! But since you've never touched it do you think owning things that expand and better the mechanics will make you want to play it now or not? If not (and I don't imagine they would) then you might spend that money on something else you'd actually enjoy.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

mike12345 posted:

Maybe it's like Civ V and Brave New World, you know, that kind of situation.

They definitely improve the game and it'd be hard to go back to playing without them, but the base game is perfectly playable without them.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Deep Thoreau posted:

Gonna get some pinball, what are some of the top tables?

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

I am by no means a pinball wizard (though there are people who take these table SUPER SERIOUS and their reviews are generally to be trusted, if you're also a serious 'baller), but here's my thoughts on the ones I own:

Guardians of the Galaxy, Portal and Plants v Zombies are all top-tier to me.

Balls of Glory (American Dad, Family Guy, Archer) is good.

South Park is really fun, but I can see how people could have not so much fun.

Ms. Explosion Man is a terrible, annoying table, but it's also the only one I've been able to solve.

The early tables are all bad, small and confusing. Of them, Paranormal is the least bad. Epic Quest seems like it would be fun, but is actually super-annoying to trigger the minigame and lose in 1 second.

I have SW: Balance of the Force, and I can't tell if anything I'm doing matters. I don't know how to trigger the minigames. YMMV.

All the Marvel games are hard as balls and confusing with absurd conditions required for the minigames. Avoid.

I can't figure out why people don't like Paranormal, it's one of my favorite tables. The goals are pretty clear and the field is insanely forgiving. I rarely have it drain out the side. That said, I totally agree that the early tables are kind of painful. The FX1 pack are miniature and unforgiving. The FX2 Core pack is far better, but compared to anything released since it's still kind of butts.

The Star Wars tables are all pretty alright, and the PvZ and Epic Quest tables are personal favorites because they're extremely chill compared to many of the other tables. Basically, just look at the tables from most recently released to the oldest and pick them in that order from ones that you have an interest in the subject matter for.

I wouldn't be a very good virtual pinball lover if I didn't toss out a recommendation for Pinball Arcade. The downside is that Farsight is shooting themselves in the foot with their insanely expensive season packs, but the upside is that not only do you get highly accurate recreations of real life tables (which is a huge allure to me) but its physics are absolutely second to none. FX doesn't even compare to Pinball Arcade in terms of feel, but unfortunately you can get most of FX2's tables for the price of one or two packs for Pinball Arcade.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Can anyone recommend any Tower Defense games? I've been in a weird mood for playing them lately and the Sanctum games never did anything for me.

The Defense Gride games are pretty solid if a bit limited. Echoing that Kingdom Rush and Frontiers are pretty good too but they can be played for free in a browser if you so chose.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

nerdz posted:

Should I get Don't Starve or Dungeon of the Endless?

Quirky Burton-esque survival game or room-by-room dungeon crawl roguelike?

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

monster on a stick posted:

If you want Mass Effect Lite, just buy The Bureau. It's even got Lift which was the best power in Mass Effect.

As a counterpoint: It lacks any of the polish or fun Mass Effect had. It's a janky mess that was salvaged out of 2K's original XCOM idea and it shows. Try and avoid it unless you're desperate for a new game.

Bit the bullet and bought INSIDE on sale. Kind of wish it was about forty minutes shorter so I can get a refund for it. As much as I liked Limbo, this one didn't do anything in its brief run that made me happy to have played it. It was interesting in that inexplicable manner it is, but the gameplay and puzzles were so minimalistic I think I would have rather saved that money for lunch this week (or more games on sale) and played two more hours of FFVIII instead. If you're in the same poverty basket as myself, maybe wait until it's $8 or so.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Kikas posted:

Yo, if you want a nice, funny, engaging, replayable and challenging, but a bit aged, sims-like game, they boy is Ghost Master for you! And it's just 0,74 Eurobux.

Seriously. This is one of my favorite games of all time. It's amazing, it went under the radar upon initial release, and it's mechanically rich and wonderful. It's like solving puzzles with a HUGE variety of unique ghosts you place around The Sims houses and their powers all interact in fun ways. Add to this about a dozen (or two?) levels with varying objective and secret objectives (not to mention every single human is unique in their personalities and fears) and you have an absolutely AMAZING spooky systemic puzzle game that holds up well even to this day. It may take some extra steps to get working on Win7+, but they're fairly simple and INFINITELY worth it.

PLEASE buy Ghost Master for a buck and do yourself a lighthearted favor!

Dr Snofeld posted:

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided has an obscene discount for such a recent release. I love the series so much I played through Invisible War more than once, but there's a lot of negativity in the reviews. Is that all related to the microtransaction DLC nonsense or are there deeper problems with the game?

It had some real bad performance issues at launch, ends incredibly abruptly, and had some constant CTD's that have since been resolved.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

kater posted:

Need help paring down my list, these games are too drat expensive edition.

From what I can tell I would love the poo poo out of all of these. Need to get below $50ish, so like, I guess down to 3.

Leaning towards Batman, SUPERHOT, and Sherlock Holmes. I unno. These games are too drat expensive. Maybe just buy Sherlock and wait for the others to fall more.

Get rid of Batman, it'll go cheaper and you've already missed the episodic appeal so no sense in not waiting further.

Get rid of Factorio. It's not on sale and never will be. No sense and buying it during the sale.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

beef express posted:

Yeah, I remember reading an article about the alien's AI, it uses a heatmap to smell you out, so if you hide consistently in the same place it'll patrol that area. However, it can only attack you in cupboards and lockers if it's patrolling. It has to see you crawl under a table to attack you there, IIRC, and its sight radius is way less than the androids. It also treats windows as walls so you're perfectly safe to peer at it through a window.

I still really like the game even knowing the smoke and mirrors tricks it pulls, with a few more behaviours I think the alien could've been genuinely terrifying.

I would love to look behind the curtain. Remember where you read this?

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Gameplay, mostly. Theme, no. It's definitely great, but only about half to two-thirds.

e: As you can tell from the page it's set during WWII and still features killin' nazis, but this time there's the traditional Wolfenstein occult stuff. The level designs are still pretty solid but they're not as tight overall. It's still fun, DEFINITELY worth the sale price, and I recommend it, but definitely finish TNO and then play TOB. It's the straight-to-VHS sequel that's still surprisingly great.

Dark_Swordmaster fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Dec 30, 2016

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Ularg posted:

Awesome, so my cart looks like:

Resident Evil 4: $6.99
Mad Max: $6.79
Binary Domain: $3.99
Homefront: The Revolution: $11.99
Zeno Clash: $0.99
Metal Gear Rising: $7.49

I still feel like there may be great first person shooters less than $10 I'm missing out on but it's hard to ask without just listing every single shooter I already have. I want Strafe to come out already, damnit.

Dump Homefront. If you like good shooters you'll hate it.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Plan Z posted:

Been looking for a Grognardy RTS game. I'm hovering back and forth between Scourge of War: Waterloo, and Ultimate General: Civil War.

Ultimate General.

Please don't EVER give Scourge of War your money. Do not reward the lazy, bad, and offensive developers of the genre. Ultimate General is good and getting better. Scourge of War is okay and often bad.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Plan Z posted:

Was leaning towards UG since I liked Gettysburg so much. Out of curiosity, what's the problem with the devs?

http://steamcommunity.com/app/369390/discussions/0/485622866436489698

http://steamcommunity.com/app/369390/discussions/0/485623339233351859

http://steamcommunity.com/app/369390/discussions/0/485623406940553521

They have a single part-time programmer, they refuse to take time to optimize their game, the game is single-threaded.

It runs 12FPS maximum and they will tell you to go gently caress yourself for complaining.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Ularg posted:

Binary Domain is only 6gb? That seems... really odd. RE4 is bigger than that at 11GB.

Binary Domain is a port of a low fi 360 game and RE4 is a recent rerelease on PC meaning they just uncompressed every asset they had.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
The first boss fight is not that hard?

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Boxman posted:

I'm talking about the blade wolf. I guess, given my edit above, the metal gear might be the first boss. But blade wolf is definitely the first thing in the game that's supposed to make you think about what you're doing.

For what it's worth, I agree with you. But google for "Metal Gear Rising Blade Wolf Quit" for a fair number of these anecdotes.

Mokinokaro posted:

The trick with MGR is learning the parry ability and Blade Wolf's basically there to make sure you figure it out.

Ah, yes. I got parrying down after the tutorial. Maybe it's just another "NOBODY BUT ME CAN PLAY VIDEO GAMES" bit but I felt the tutorial explained it easy and then it was. :shrug:

I could totally see people who don't get the parrying having a hard time though.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
What was that?

It's getting down to the last day of the sale and I still haven't bought enough poo poo! All I got were Final Fantasy 8, 9, and 10, Manhunt, and a very regretful purchase of Inside. My wishlist is about 190 things so you'd think I'd have SOMETHING to impulse buy but so far nothing has struck me! I also don't put DLC on my wishlist so I always forget to buy DLC for games I play.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
wat? That doesn't seem like they surfaced that AT ALL.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

PantsBandit posted:

Devil May Cry 4: SE called out to me from a secret place on the internet this sale. I hope it can do the same for you.

Sadly I hate the original Devil May Cry series. DMC, however, is my jam. I don't know why or what the difference is but I tried out 4 on the 360 and had to quit after about thirty minutes or so.

I JUST WANT TO SPEND MONEY ON THIS LAST DAY, GOD DAMNIT!

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I never put DLC on my wishlist. Any highly touted DLCs I should actually buy?

I already own everything for TW3, all the CK2 DLCs, and all DLC for EUIV except the latest.

All I can come up with are tables for Pinball Arcade and some songs for Rocksmith.

e: Obviously this is open to the "Well what do you own?" question. A lot of things so shots in the dark may still hit something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Well the good news is that I already owned all the stuff you listed! And the sale's over!

• Locked thread