Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

Furnaceface posted:

Thank you sir. Stranger of Sword City and God Eater 2 look like something I could get into. Everyone seems to recommend Rabi-Ribi, is it worth it if Im bad at video games? Metroidvanias are supposed to be pretty hard right?

Rabi-Ribi is extremely good and has a lot of difficulty options, and it even gives you free buffs if you keep dying at the same part if you want them. The boss fights are dope and there's a lot of them. I'm having a hard time thinking of games that have as many boss fights that are as good as they are in RR. They're all bullet hell themed so that may be too much for some, but it feels and looks cool to dodge a bunch of pretty patterns. It's also very non-linear and repayable. I've been replaying it lately and it's without a doubt one of the best metroidvania's out there gameplay-wise. The only real downside to it is there's too much talking in it and it's not very entertaining, though all talking parts are skippable.

I'd highly recommend it for people that like 2d action games. It'd be my surprisingly excellent game of 2016.

Solaris 2.0 posted:

I got a $50 steam gift card for Christmas and immediately went about thinking of how to spend it. This is what I came up with. I think I did alright. I'm currently working my way through Witcher 3 but am very excited for Alien Isolation based on the recommendations in this thread. Also I wanted to get The Witness, but saw Braid on sale and figured I could play that first and pick up The Witness on a summer sale.

Lots of people have issues running the steam version of Jade Empire fwiw. I know I could not even launch the game properly a few years ago.

Sivek fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Dec 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

Gameko posted:

I, too, am looking for some anime games goons. I'd like some action games or ARPGs, not so much puzzle games, turn-based RPGs, or visual novels.

The last anime game I played was Tales of Vesperia, which I quite liked up until the part where you beat the big bad then are expected to spend tons of time directionlessly backtracking until the plot picks up again. I've also played Valkyria Chronicles and it was OK but I didn't like the way the mission ratings were based on time only.

Based on many recommendations in this thread, I think I'll pick up Rabi-Ribi. Copy Kitty looks cool too, though I haven't seen many people recommend it. Can you point me at any others? I'm getting desperate enough for a good anime action game that I'm even considering something from the Senran Kagura series. I hope goons can save me from this fate. Should I play a different Tales game? Maybe one of the Hyperdimension games?

Some others:

-The Ys series. I like Origin the best and it's a clean entry to the series since it takes place way before any of the other games. Play as the girl first. If you eventually play Ys 1-2, you'll notice a ton of callbacks from Origin. 1-2 also play drastically different from the rest of the series.
-Momodora Reverie is really good.
-Shantae and the Pirate's Curse, the best Shantae game
-Phantom Breaker is a really good beat em up but it has more in common with a fighting game than other beat em ups. More technically complex than button mashing and quite good if you can get over the barrier of entry.
-Fortune Summoners is pretty good, though it feels quite floaty at first and is pretty difficult. Like Phantom Breaker, much more complex mechanically than it looks.
-Xanadu Next
-Gurumin is a 3d action game and is cool and cute.
-Khimera Destroy All Monster Girls is free and and pretty god.
-Earth Defense Force 4.1
-Metal Gear Rising is as anime as they come and good.
-Forward to the Sky is bad, don't get it.

Sivek fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Dec 29, 2016

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

Fun Times! posted:

Girlfriend gave me a $20 steam card so I picked up ABZU, Oceanhorn, LISA, and Dawn of Discovery. :) I've only played ABZU so far and it's chill as hell, how are my other picks? I know goons love LISA for the most part. How's Oceanhorn?

I did not like Oceanhorn from what I played of it. It felt like a clunky Zelda that controlled poorly. Others like it though.

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

Gameko posted:

Question: there's a phantom breaker DLC pack that adds Kurisu Makise and raises the level cap to 99. That seems like a good buy. Is it worth it? (Only $1.19)

Also, I still feel like I have room for an additional $10~$20 purchase. There have been some good suggestions in that price range, and there are some old standbys I've never played. Here are the games on my short list:

1. Godeater 2. People compare this favorably to monster hunter and I've never played a monster hunter game. It doesn't look as slick as Monster Hunter though. This is one I'm seriously considering as the discount seems good.
2. Devil May Cry Remake/3/4. Never played a DMC game. If this is the game to get, which one should I grab?

Help me out goons. Alternatively I could pick up Dying Light as my expensive purchase this sale season. People were really gushing over that one a few pages back.

The Makise dlc is worth it since all the characters play a bit differently and you'll hit the level cap (I think 50?) if you ever decide to replay the game on a harder difficulty with the same character. Basically you carry over your levels and unlocked abilities for a new game plus.

God Eater 2 also comes with the first game for what it's worth.

DMC3 pc version is busted. DMC4 Special Edition is the one to get if you're looking for pc DMC. The DMC re-imagining or whatever it's called is more button-mashy than the mainline DMC games and a bit easier. It's okay but it's probably more known for being "edgy" in a really lmao way.

Sivek fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Dec 30, 2016

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

Unlucky7 posted:

While we are in the last couple day (day?) of the sale, is Slime Rancher currently worth getting?

It's cute and repetitive. I'd say there's about 8-12 hours of content in it, as is. I'm not usually into these types of games but got it in the humble monthly and found it fun, though the basic gameplay loop of feed slimes, upgrade stuff to feed slimes better, may not do it for everyone.

I do appreciate that you move around like a 90's fps and the game is very chill since there's no dumb systems like having your character get tired and have to rest/eat and your health/stamina regenerate really fast. There's no story or anything if that means anything to you. It's also very cute and could pass for a nintendo game in that aspect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

Zephro posted:

Did the performance issues with Dishonoured 2 get fixed? I loved the first one but I'm rocking an old i5-2500k and a 1060 and am worried about how well it's going to run.

If you're playing at 1080p, it probably won't run too well, especially since lowering the graphic options doesn't have a major impact on the frame rate. I built a new computer recently and while I get 60fps steady, there's still some annoying micro stutter that I don't think will ever get fixed, as I imagine it's due to something too tied into the engine to easily deal with.

The game also has already had a big price drop and I'd be surprised if it's not 50% off in two months. Just wait until the price is right to take a chance on it.

• Locked thread