Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Edmond Dantes posted:

It's very light on the jumpscares, I remember... 1, 2 tops; it is unrelentingly tense though.

I need to put together a curated wishlist and budget myself, there's a bunch of stuff I want to get this time around.

I heard it has (Alien Isolation spoiler) facehuggers in it, are they handled like in the AvP games? Because that would push the jump scare counter way up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Edmond Dantes posted:

I have no idea how AvP handled it to be honest, but in A:I they're only around in places with hatched eggs in them, so you should be on alert in those places. There's one that's hiding behind some boxes and can surprise you (they do the "jump in your loving face" thing though, that's kinda what they do). The game can make you jump or surprise you, but it's part of the gameplay; I meant it doesn't have jumpscares a la "monster through a window" or stuff like Outlast. In A:I you usually see what's going to eat your face coming.

The first two AvP games handle it as follows: you're walking around and you don't see anything, but your motion tracker's beeping, then your screen is instantly covered in alien ovipositor with the facehugger SKREEEEEEEE playing louder than any other sound in the game, then you reload from your last save. It's basically a screamer prank shoehorned into an otherwise very good FPS, and it happens constantly once the facehuggers get introduced. It also, without fail, makes me poo poo my loving pants when it happens.

e: if you can actually see them coming, and if their attack is, y'know, actually leaping at your face instead of just bumping your knee and instantly teleporting to your face, then it's fine. If it's literally just "hmm it's been too long since the player's needed a new pair of trousers, let's drop a facehugger here" then gently caress that poo poo.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Dec 26, 2016

• Locked thread