Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Palpek posted:

aaaaaand Steam crashed

And so the annual ritual continues :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
Yeah, the discounts are definitely not as deep as the ones that made Steam Sales, well, Steam Sales. Even old games and remakes like Ikaruga, Grandia II, and the FFs are not really "cheap" by Steam Sale standards. It's harder to justify dropping the kind of money I used to when I get less out of it.

Then again, a lot of the magic of Steam Sales are the less-known titles that go for like $1.74. There are just so many Greenlight/Indie games now that it's hard to know what exactly is good, but I'm sure there are some Beatbuddy/Noitu Love/Long Live the Queen gems sitting around in there somewhere. It'll just take more searching.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

BigRed0427 posted:

Now that I think about it, there is a ton of stuff from 2016 I missed. Anything from the past year people recommend in terms of "Best of the year?"

Rise of the Tomb Raider was, hands down, my GOTY this year. Of course, it's also heavily dependent on whether you liked the first one or not since it's essentially a lot more of the same. If you enjoyed that, though, RotTR essentially did the same thing that Arkham City did for Batman: a LOT more of the same and much bigger. I have not bought any of the DLCs yet.

And of course other AAA titles were, like, Dark Souls III and Doom. Those are pretty self-explanatory, but also very good.

In terms of smaller games, Goons seem to really like Thumper if you're into trippy music-hell games. There's also the new Shantae if you want a platformer, but it's not at a very big discount right now since it just came out.

Mystic Stylez posted:

Euro Truck Simulator 2 is the premiere podcast game.

How is American Truck Sim, anyway? And are the controls any better for gamepads? I could never get Euro-Truck to work well with an X-Box controller without a game profiler, but I really wanna cruise up and down the Best Coast for chill times.

Axel Serenity fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Dec 23, 2016

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
Xander77 gifted me a game called Better Late Than DEAD. Being a man of my word and already having gone a couple rounds on the Gift Train, here is my review.

The game opens up with some paintings of some robed dues throwing a coffin off a ship. A narrator, certainly one of our own dear goons who convinced himself he could become an anime voice actor one day, tells us of his journey as he wakes up surrounded by sharks. "Who am I?" he asks as he stares longingly at a photo of a child or perhaps a rather large potato. His beards grows ferociously during this monologue, like a gift from Poseidon himself in those troubled times.

Finally, you land on the beach and the game begins. Or at least tries to begin. Despite having played modded Skyrim for ages, my poor GTX970 was no match for the graphical upheavals of 2004. As I tried to move at 12fps, I was forced to lower my settings from "Fantastic" to merely "Beautiful." There was really no mention of which of these was better, exactly, but Beautiful performed better and thus my computer's thirst for bad Steam games was sated. At least for another second. When I tried to move, the air of my hand reaching for the mouse apparently sent the screen into a full 360. I checked the mouse sensitivity, which was only on the default halfway point, but apparently our devs exist in a world where Quake III is bog standard for everything and if you don't like it then gently caress you. I took it down to about 20%, which was still really, really floaty, but playable.

There's no tutorial or anything. Sometimes a quick tooltip will show over the screen, but what those commands do, exactly, is unclear. Apparently PERCEPTION MODE is a big deal and makes interactable objects flash red on your screen, but only if you're pretty much already on top of said objects and most likely hovering over them anyway. I found out that I could run or, when used in conjunction with the sidestep keys, do the dab. Reminder that this man is Beautiful, which may or may not be a step down from Fantastic. I wandered about for a bit, but fairly quickly because night was coming soon, and I had to worry about Thirst and Hunger meters. Since the game only gave me three pieces of fruit and one bottle of water, I needed to find something soon!

Bear in mind that, while all of this happening, the worst of all John Carpenter 80s Synth soundtracks is playing above you. Not, like, a whole soundtrack. Just one track of *~spooky synth~* anytime you go near an area that might contain clues (they do not contain clues).

Night came, and I still did not find any water or fruit, despite finding what was apparently once a secret lab (NOT a hotel as one ominous letter I found had explained). Apparently none of the trees had fruit either. One of the videos on the store page explicitly showed players picking at sticks to create fire and for crafting hunting materials. Or at least they showed one stick. I did not find this stick, or any animals! Or so I thought. After wandering about for a bit more and somehow equipping a lead pipe I found, the screen flashed with a "Press F to Lock On To Your Target!" warning! I pressed F. It did not seem to lock onto anything. A wolf appeared so I pressed F again. The dog killed me.

Feeling a renewed sense of survival, I started again and went to another location. There are three islands in the game. I swam to another one, found some houses, and immediately fell into a pit I could not leave. Not even a pit, really. Just the square part of a dock.

Eventually, I learned that you can crouch and, after a scouring the walls, made my escape back into the ocean. I noticed there were some objects waaaaay out in the ocean and decided to give those a go. But when I got near them, they completely disappeared?

Also notice that ghosting shadow. Brilliant.

At that point, I'd had enough of John Carpenter and swimming, so I left the game. Apparently you can play online and work with others to solve the mystery of the island or maybe kill each other if you can ever get F to actually lock onto things. I tried it again with a bird. It didn't work.

Axel Serenity fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Dec 23, 2016

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
If you want a good single-player MMO, you should be buying The Secret World :colbert:

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Panama Red posted:

I may well check out the Secret World as an alternative, since I'm a little burnt out on high fantasy and the Lovecraftian premise sounds cool. Not a huge fan of MMOs and grinding, but I'll definitely read some reviews.

There's very little actual grinding since there are no traditional levels. Instead, you gain ability points and such at certain times and basically fill a scroll wheel of weapon moves at your leisure.

The story is awesome, but the highlights are definitely the way the quests are done. You can do them repeatedly (once per day usually), and almost all of them are fully voice-acted and cutscene'd. The best ones are the Investigation missions, which have you use actual, real world knowledge to solve them. There's even an in-game browser to help you google as you go. It should also be noted that Lovecraft is really only the first few zones. There's also Egyptian and Transylvanian stuff later, and Japanese if you buy the extra issues (essentially DLC-like expansions).

Nehru the Damaja posted:

If you want the good parts of The Secret World and not the extraneous MMO trash that was tied to the excellent writing, get The Black Watchmen instead. It's by the team that did TSW's amazing investigation missions, and you don't have to do mmo bullshit.

Like TSW's investigations, you do real-world research and use real world tools with a bit of extra info gathered from the game itself. poo poo is difficult but rarely feels outright unfair.

This sounds really good. Like I said above, the investigations were a major hilight. I didn't know they did another game and will for sure give it a look when Steam comes back up.

That said, I would still get TSW. Another fun aspect that is tied to the MMO part are the dungeons. They're probably second only to WoW in terms of actually being fun with real mechanics rather than just feeling like some mad bumrush like most MMOs. They're really good and the only "must-do" part of the MMO portions of TSW. The crafting, PVP, whatever aren't super good and can probably be ignored for the most part, but the dungeons are well worth the time to do.

Ciao, ciao!

Axel Serenity fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Dec 23, 2016

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Mokinokaro posted:

Yeah I'm hoping that whenever TSW shuts down someone figures out a way to rig it up as an SP game.

I want a movie or novel adaptation if for no other reason than because Kirsten Geary is too good a character to die.

e: ok with this Steam outage I'm gonna play some because this discussion is an enabler

Axel Serenity fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Dec 23, 2016

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Panama Red posted:

Um, it is only like $7.50 through Bundle Stars, but do I want to be buying a buy-to-play MMO that's facing an imminent shutdown?

Feel free to check the MMO HMO thread for ideas, but as far as I know, it's not facing shutdown. It's obviously not, like, WoW levels but it seems there are a lot worse MMOs still around somehow. It was just in a big Humble Bundle and is still healthy enough to be supported. At $7.50, I think you'd get more than enough playtime out of it as a SP game, but that is your call if you think it'd compare to other games in that price range.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Qvark posted:

haha, what?

Russian hacking just potentially influenced the world's largest democracy so, yeah, I'd say authorities aren't taking cyber-attacks very lightly these days

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
I bit the bullet and bought Thumper. It's real good, y'all

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
I only just saw that the SEGA Megadrive classics have added a ton of games in the past few years I didn't know about.

Panic on Funkotron is a go. :coal:

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

OK I wanna tackle my backlog.

What from this is the shortest 2-3 games. HowLongToBeat's interface is atrocious and they don't let you sync to Steam.

e: ignore speedrunners, it's MP, shouldn't be on the backlog list

As others have said, you need to play Sleeping Dogs regardless.

That said, Long Live the Queen is somewhat short depending on the actions you take. The problem is that you will die and then you will want to try playing via a different skillset again. And again. And again.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
So, MMO babies here, is FFXIV worth it? I'm kind of looking for a new game to play, and I've heard a lot of great things about FF, but I'm unsure about the $15/mo cost. I know it comes with a month free, but it's hard to get a good judgment running around as a lowbie.

I'm mostly a WoW player, for reference, but I only play that via tokens nowadays. I also enjoyed TERA and TSW. I did not care for Neverwinter or Rift if that gives any indication as to what kinds of MMOs I like. The transmog and character options is what appeals to me most about FF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

Ragequit posted:

I ran across this sight yesterday, so please use it as a reminder to :getin: and play Steam games on this holy day:

Praise Gaben

• Locked thread