Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Retroblique
Oct 16, 2002

Now the wild world is lost, in a desert of smoke and straight lines.

Avasculous posted:

For my part, I remember impulse buying a bunch of random poo poo in genres I never play like LA Noire and Assassin's Creed because they were suddenly $5, less than a year after release. I don't think I've bought anything in the last few sales.
Yep, if dropping the daily deals works for Steam then that's obviously what they need to do, but I'm also in the "bought waaaaay less than I've done in previous sales" camp. For most summer/winter sales I was checking in every six hours for the flash deals and community deals, as well as daily for the new deals, and would buy anywhere from 20-30 new games every sale. Ever since they dropped the daily/flash/community deals I've bought maybe 2-3 games per sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Retroblique
Oct 16, 2002

Someone talk me into buying Elite Dangerous: Horizons. I've got the core game but barely touched it (played through the tutorial missions and that was about it), for no other reason than I've just been constantly distracted by other things. I enjoy space exploration/trade/combat games in general and was a big fan of the original Elite and Frontier back in the day. I'm not particularly interested in the multiplayer component, so I'm hoping there's an interesting enough single player experience there. I've heard its kinda grindy, but then so were the previous games in the series, so I can live with that. I just don't want to see everything the game has to offer within 2-3 hours. I keep wanting to dive back into the game but feel like I need Horizons now to get the full experience.

Retroblique
Oct 16, 2002

TheBigAristotle posted:

If you like the genre, my guess is the only big downside would be the dodgy Alien AI I've heard of, but I never actually played, I'm just relaying what I think I've heard. In other words, good thing you've already bought it.
The AI is fine, there's just an element of unpredictability about it that frustrates some players. As someone who's super into stealth games like Thief and Dishonored that suits me fine -- those games lose their edge once you can predictably game the AI with 100% reliability. Some people claim they can game the AI in Alien: Isolation with 100% predictability, but I've yet to see a single YT video that demonstrates that. You certainly have all the tools at your disposal to deal with the alien threat and a good player can run through the game without dying once, but the alien is never, ever 100% predictable.

I think the save game system is probably its most divisive element -- checkpoint only, no quicksave. I think the lack of quicksave is actually integral to the game's mechanics and atmosphere. Almost all of the game's tension is based entirely on the notion that you're vulnerable and safe harbors are few and far between. Quicksave would essentially create a safe bubble that constantly surrounds the player and thus change the entire dynamics of the game. I can understand people being frustrated at not knowing if/when the next checkpoint is coming up and thus be unable to plan their gaming sessions accordingly, but I think that's a small price to pay for the integrity of the game. Having said all that I understand there's a quicksave mod out there, but I wouldn't encourage anyone to seek it out unless they're having a very miserable time with the vanilla game and feel like it would improve their experience.

Retroblique
Oct 16, 2002

nachos posted:

Is the witness worth it? I love puzzle games but a 25 hour game feels excessive. I burned out on talos even though I really enjoyed that game.
I got a little burned out on Talos too (probably got very close to the end but just ran out of momentum), but I played The Witness all the way through to the end on PS4 (I've since bought the PC version because I've since forgotten about half the puzzle logic, so it'll be fun to do another play through).

The Witness manages to remain relatively fresh all the way through because you're constantly building a puzzle vocabulary and mixing it up in interesting ways, plus all the new areas you unlock are at the very least aesthetically interesting and narratively intriguing. Not that there's any significant narrative to speak of, but there's enough there for the player to create their own explanations and back story for everything. With Talos you'd pretty much seen everything the game had to offer, mechanically speaking, about a third of the way through, but in The Witness you're always learning something new, and I think that was the key difference that kept me going until the end.

Like that other poster suggested, I'd really try to avoid looking up play throughs. Building an understanding of the puzzle logic is the game's primary mechanic, so if you rob yourself of that then the game's just going to feel a bit pointless. By all means look up a solution if you've been staring at a puzzle for 3 hours and are just about ready to stick your head in a blender, but this isn't really the sort of game you should be watching someone else play before you tackle it yourself. Take advantage of Steam's refund policy instead -- if the game hasn't grabbed you after 2 hours it never will, but I suspect if you were into Talos then you'll be into this game too.

• Locked thread