Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Hi guys, friendly reminder that your wishlist does not automatically update to sale prices. It happens every single sale, someone has to flip some switches behind the scenes before the discounts propagate to wishlists. Give it an hour or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Mystic Stylez posted:

Anybody here ever played Darkwood? It's been on my wishlist ever since it was greenlit ages ago, but it's still on Early Access and I haven't seen any impressions about it.

I've been keeping an eye on this for ages, and it's shaping up but the development pace is absolutely glacial. They also did one major redesign over a year ago that involved going dark for months and there's no way to know if they're going to do that again. I doubt it's going to be abandoned at this point but they might also be working on it for years at this rate.

For $2, definitely. It's chock full of Ice-pick Lodge weirdness where most of the game is spent figuring out how to play it. The gameplay gets pretty repetitive though, so if you don't get invested in sussing it out you'll get bored eventually. Here's the full review I did last year.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Risky Bisquick posted:

Hero Siege

Thoughts on this roguelike? I can get a 4 pack for peanuts so it already looks like a solid buy

I found it pretty boring but if you don't expect much there's enough content to play it forever.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

Someone mentioned Starbound earlier in one of these threads, and I see it's coming up for a vote tomorrow. I've been putting hours into it recently, and much to my disappointment I'm ready to call it quits.

Popular games often inspire others to follow their lead. We saw it ages ago with Doom and Starcraft, we saw it in a huge way with Minecraft, and we saw it again with Terraria, itself following in the footsteps of Minecraft. There's nothing wrong with trying to improve on a formula unless you completely miss what made the original good, and somehow that happens all too often. Starbound seemed for the longest time to be the one true heir to Terraria, but it's clear now it's fallen into the same trap so many others have.

Starbound sets you as the newest member of the Protectorate, a galactic peacekeeping and civil service force based out of Earth. Your graduation ceremony serves as a brief tutorial before poo poo goes wrong and you escape the destruction of the planet on the first rustbucket ship you find. A quick faster-than-light jump leaves you stranded in orbit around an alien world with no fuel to leave, no tools besides your Matter Manipulator, and an aggressively helpful AI.

From this humble beginning you can make your mark on the galaxy. The main questline helps you get your ship up and running, introduces you to a trade hub with tons of stuff for sale, and sets you on track to confront the thing that destroyed the Earth. In pursuing any of these goals you'll be exploring randomly-generated planets of all sorts, from verdant forest worlds to icy hellscapes to tentacle morasses and more. No matter the composition, each planet will have resources to gather and treasures to uncover, most of which are hinted at in the planetary scan from your ship.

Once you beam down to a planet you'll have to hike your way around from your landing site, either across the open terrain or venturing down into the caves every world is honeycombed with. Numerous creatures inhabit these places and most of them are aggressive, so you'll be needing to take weapons and gear and be ready for a fight. There's a wide range of swords, axes, spears, whips, pistols, rifles, launchers, and so on to equip yourself with, each with randomized stats and effects. I never found anything too outlandish but you can dual wield one-handed items, allowing you to enjoy stabbing and shooting all at once.

Your Matter Manipulator is used to dig, break down walls and objects for collection, and place materials from your inventory. This means there's plenty of construction to do if you want a quaint home on the alien prairies, and you'll need one for all the different crafting stations and upgrades needed to progress. It was here that the game started to break down for me though, because building bases in Terraria was my favorite part and I was super excited to do the same in space. However, having a base in Starbound isn't nearly as convenient, necessary, or useful because of your ship. You need your ship to explore the cosmos and return to the trade hub for important quests and purchases, so every trip to your base is a bunch of extra beaming and warping steps. You can build a teleport pad for your base but it requires a rare drop and a TON of money for just one.

Once I realized what a pain it was going to be to maintain a base, I started to see the same annoyances in everything else. Crafting is a huge one, because there are so many additional steps and requirements just to make basic things. In Terraria you just needed the material, but in Starbound not only do you need materials, but for building blocks you need to have FOUND the item to produce before, and for other items you need blueprints which are randomly dotted around the universe. So you might have dreams of a neon techy space colony but unless you find one to strip AND score the blueprints for all the furniture, you're stuck with your dirt and wood hovels.

Stripping buildings and resources is something you'll spend plenty of time doing, either to make gear from ores or just get cool blocks to build with. But your basic Matter Manipulator is maddeningly slow and the upgrades require tons of modules which are, again, scattered across the universe. And even if you strip down a whole base, it fills your inventory with so many special blocks and items you can barely carry it all. Starbound has a mind-boggling amount of items and furniture and materials to play with but ironically this drags the game down because it makes it so much harder to collect and organize and use. Terraria didn't have the best inventory system but I've spent so much more time in Starbound's just trying to get the junk I want to build to the place I want to build it.

The deeper you dive into Starbound, the more roadblocks you run into. There's a huge spread of side activities like archaeology and pet collecting and cooking and ship upgrades and vehicles but every single one is locked behind quests and random drops and money. Money is easily the worst part, because you need tons for everything you want to do, but at the base difficulty you lose a full THIRD of what you've earned when you die. And you're going to die a fair bit unless you're terribly cautious, because enemies are aggressive and do loads of damage, and even just falling a short distance can end your fragile life. It's crushing because every time I sit down to play I start out optimistic and eager to find or build new things, and then 20 minutes later the same walls start rising up again to get in my way.

There's so much I could talk about in Starbound that ends up ruined by needless complications and restrictions. It's maddening because the game is ostensibly about the freedom to do what you want, explore where you want, and build what you want, but the design simply does not support those goals. Terraria understood how to achieve this, how to give players this freedom while placing new items and options just close enough to strive for. Starbound gives you an entire galaxy of possibilities and then slaps your hand away every time you reach for them, pointing you back to laborious quests or high prices to deal with first. I wish I could like Starbound, I really do, because it's gorgeous and charming and has so much to do, but it refuses to just let you enjoy any of it. Until it learns to ease up I'll be building castles and soaring through the clouds in you-know-what, because it doesn't feel so much like work there.

• Locked thread