Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

MalarkeyToboggan posted:

Tales of Zestiria is 12 bucks and I know I'm going to hate myself for buying it. Is the PC version any good? Is the game any good for that matter?

it runs fine but it's not a very good game. the plot is kind of a mess, a lot of the mechanics are annoying and it's just generally not worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

Rinkles posted:

I said it before, but it's kinda stupid how on PS4 you can regularly get all of Borderlands 2 and The Presequel with every little DLC for $20-$30. While there's no similar bundle on Steam and the cosmetic stuff never goes on sale. Even without the cosmetics you'd have to spend at least $40 (on sale) to get most of the package.

You can get the Borderlands Take over your life package for 6.75 which has Tales from the Borderlands, the pre-sequel and the original Borderlands GOTY edition and then the Borderlands 2 GOTY edition for 8.79.

Then ignore all the season pass stuff for pre-sequel cause it's easily the worst game in the series and instead play Tales from the Borderlands which is the best game in the series. And the best telltale game.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

biggest gripe about The Pre Sequel is the hit-scan enemies that can hit from the other side of the map before you can even see them. Also small melee enemies that constantly hit you and you can't see them.

better jokes though.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

Lowen posted:

I recently got and enjoyed both Superhot and Stardew Valley, they were both released in February.

stardew valley coming out in 2016 is one of those things that surprises me everytime I hear it cause I've spent so much time with it and read so much about it that it just seems like it's been around for way longer

PantsBandit posted:

Alright guys, need a recommendation. My 2 friends and I were gonna play civ tonight but then realized it apparently ate our save last time. 3+ hours down the drain. So we're looking for something else we can play/download quickly and cheaply.

So what are some 3-4 player coop games with small file sizes that are worth checking out? Can be indie as gently caress, I don't care.

(we have and have already played Monaco and Borderlands (all of them))

broforce

edit: Overcooked is supposed to be really good to but I haven't played it yet.

Leper Residue fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Dec 23, 2016

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

borderlands might be a good one for them too yeah?

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

oh man I kind of forgot about sonic all star racing transformed. That's a good suggestion, best kart game and is even fun single player. runs great too on almost anything.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

we got a game that no one suggested and ignored the one multiple people suggested so thanks for your suggestions!

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

ArbitraryC posted:

Kinda bummed recettear didn't have any widescreen resolutions available. I'd been hemming and hawing about about buying the game for years but figured for 4 bucks I'd give it a shot. I had watched several reviews and not one of them mentioned this which seems like kind of an oversight to me.

the game wasn't made for widescreen and looks just fine as is. It is a good game and ignoring a good game cause the resolution isn't good enough for you is so weird.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

SnakesRevenge posted:

So I'm finally working my way through Dark Souls 2, and having fun with it, but I notice I don't see many people online to help with bosses/get help. Would it be worth it to pick up Scholar of the First Sin, hoping for more MP action, or would I be better served just skipping to DS3?

i've been slowly playing through scholar lately and I see a lot of blood stains messages and phantoms running around. I doubt anyone still plays og ds2.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

Palpek posted:

Ok, thanks for the answers guys.

Also what was the name of the game that was like Gunpoint? It released way later but featured similar gameplay?

Deadbolt probably

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Looking at grabbing Final Fantasy VIII, IX, and the X / X-2 HD remasters but I've heard certain Final Fantasy releases on Steam (mainly the SNES versions and VII) should be avoided and instead emulated. Anyone able to vouch for the quality of 8 through 10?

All of those work great on pc, I never had problems with VII either. The Xx-2 remasters run great too, they look really good.

The pre psx games are the ones to avoid, 3 especially. 6 is just ugly as all sin.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Thanks to both of you guys, I'll take that as the go-ahead for them not being bad ports!

Yeah, one of the Steam reviews for VIII was absolutely livid about it using midi music instead of wave or something similar so I'll look into replacing it I guess.

also 3 isn't really a bad port but just a really bad game. the original wasn't all that great as it was but they somehow made it even less fun. If you want to play 6 get the gba remastered version which is the gba extra dungeon poo poo but with the way better snes music.

edit: Also all those hd retextures for vii are ugly as gently caress.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

Mystic Stylez posted:

Not really Steam Sale related, but opinions on Dragon Age: Inquisition?

Also are the incremental deluxe editions worth it?

I really really liked Inquisition. Like it's not perfect and not in my top ten or anything but it's like a summer blockbuster. It's fun to just play and gently caress around with all the abilities and characters and listen to the banter. It has some great banter. I've played through it twice and am playing through it a third time (very slowly) so I can play the DLC.

No actual opinions on the dlc but I've heard trespasser is really really good and like a necessity now for the game.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

PantsBandit posted:

I'm trying to get a read on this Megadimension Neptunia VII game. It's got overwhelmingly positive reviews but the store page doesn't do a great job of actually describing the game. Is it just a really good jrpg? Is it one game or a compilation? Do the waifus have compelling storylines? I must know more!

it's a kind of stand alone jrpg in the series that has the best mechanics of the series and stuff. I love jrpgs but couldn't take this game. it loving falls over itself trying to be meta and humorous and after several hours of the rather uninspiring gameplay I just shelved it. So not worth it.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

why should we help you? you're just gonna buy Sanctum 2 instead anyway.

"Hey guys help me choose a jrpg!"

"Hey guys I just bought Farcry 3 instead thanks though!"

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

PantsBandit posted:

Yeah I guess I'd say this is what I find confusing. The story (from the very base knowledge I have) seems real dumb, so I assume the glut of good reviews are from people loving the gameplay? I'm just curious because I'm of the opinion that most jrpgs play identically.

i never finished it so maybe it adds some poo poo but yeah it was just a standard jrpg with super anime characters. maybe the characters get deep and turn shakespearean instead of memey who knows not me cause it wasn't interesting at all

I say this as someone who loves Persona 4, Trails in the Sky and has played all the final fantasies save for the xv.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

Dr. Angela Ziegler posted:

OK I wanna tackle my backlog.

What from this is the shortest 2-3 games. HowLongToBeat's interface is atrocious and they don't let you sync to Steam.

hotline miami and marlow briggs but sleeping dogs is the game you should play first and instead of all the others.

speed runners really isn't worth it either. it's fun but you're playing against people who have been playing this game and just know the levels so much better than you ever will.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

ScentOfAnOtaku posted:

So I've been looking at a bunch of games to pick up this year, but I'm trying to keep it under a certain budget ($50), so I was just wondering what people's thoughts are on a few games. I will probably go over the budget, if I choose to get one of the big ticket games.
As of right now I'm thinking of:

Carpe Fulgur Bundle I've played Recettear at a friends house, and know I'll just get hooked, plus Fortune Summoners looks fun, so this one is guaranteed.

Quadrilateral Cowboy Kept hearing about this, never looked into it until a week ago, and it looks right up my alley, but I'm not sure if it's worth $20.

Rise of the Tomb Raider I know I will get this at some point, but I'm really hoping to get it for cheaper than $35. I was hoping Square would put on a sale, but apparently the only one I've seen them do is in Europe.

Shadow Warrior 2 I've heard this is a bit like Borderlands, and from the little I've seen of it, it looks a lot better than the first, which was underwhelming for me.

Enter the Gungeon I loved BoI until the developer started messing with the game to make it more frustrating, and I hear this one is more of the same, but for about $9 I may not mind that much.

Dungeon Siege Collection I played the second one a bit when I was younger and quite liked it, seems like a steal for $6.

Audiosurf 2 Enjoyed the first one, but don't know if it's worth getting the second really, but it's pretty cheap.

I have a ton of stuff on my wishlist, but these games are the only ones that seem worth the price right now. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: If there is anything I missed on my Wishlist which would be worthwhile, I'd be glad to hear about that too. http://steamcommunity.com/id/zwethegreat/wishlist/?sort=price

the carpe fulgur is a good choice.

No opinion on quadrilateral cowboy.

Rise of the tomb raider. Have you played the first yet? If you haven't just get that, if you have and want more but not quite as good then go for it.

Shadow Warrior 2 is nothing like borderlands 2 at all. Like SW2 has some random enhancements you pick up for guns and some actual good jokes and is a good shooty game. Though some of the levels have some poo poo enemies and terrible design. Still way bunch of fun.

Enter the Gungeon wishes it was BoI but fails in a lot of ways. Bad levels, bad items, bad item progression.

Dungeon Siege collection - I just don't know how this got on your list. None of the games are anything special. they don't really hold up and just save your money.

edit: From the wishlist, ticket to rider, arcanum, owlboy, astroneer and factorio.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

SelenicMartian posted:

Well, imagine Persona where your demons are made by "Class-mating" with your team and making Star Children. And you need to spend time with girls to practise making the babies better.

also the gameplay, story, all the characters and dungeons are boring as gently caress.

edit: I got the vita version for like 2 dollars and felt ripped off.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

Spring Break My Heart posted:

How good are the ports of these versions of Final Fantasy, particularly the post-SNES ones and IV? V and VI look like they just ported those phone versions, made ugly games even uglier.

How about Grandia II? I heard back things about the port of Tales of Symphonia...

they actually fixed symphonia so it runs fine now. some people seem to be bent out of shape that it doesn't run at 60 fps but whatever. they fixed pretty much everything else.

I think I mentioned it earlier but emulate the snes ff games, the psx era games run fine nothing special and the ffx-x2 remaster runs great.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

Dali Parton posted:

Its a really great game! Its the closest thing to Crash Team Racing. The amount of depth and detail is incredibly stunning. Everyone get it if you want an actually good kart racer.

sega all star racing transformed is the best kart game I've played in my 31 year of gaming.

though admittedly I haven't played anything on the wii u.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

Gameko posted:

I, too, am looking for some anime games goons. I'd like some action games or ARPGs, not so much puzzle games, turn-based RPGs, or visual novels.

The last anime game I played was Tales of Vesperia, which I quite liked up until the part where you beat the big bad then are expected to spend tons of time directionlessly backtracking until the plot picks up again. I've also played Valkyria Chronicles and it was OK but I didn't like the way the mission ratings were based on time only.

Based on many recommendations in this thread, I think I'll pick up Rabi-Ribi. Copy Kitty looks cool too, though I haven't seen many people recommend it. Can you point me at any others? I'm getting desperate enough for a good anime action game that I'm even considering something from the Senran Kagura series. I hope goons can save me from this fate. Should I play a different Tales game? Maybe one of the Hyperdimension games?

rabi-ribi is good, lots of plot for being a metroidvania though. the hyperdimension games are turn based rpgs so.

There's the God Eater games too which are anime monster hunters.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

also Recettear if you somehow don't have it. cool game where you manage a shop and then go dungeon diving for items to sell in it.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

Mokinokaro posted:

ICEY a really fun sidecrolling beat'em up with some really fun meta narrative tricks.

Icey is real cool, I played through most of it a few days ago, it's fun trying to figure out how to piss off the narrator.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

Lord Lambeth posted:

Did Gat Outta Hell end up being good? I heard it was wonky when it was first released.

It's fun but really short. Like you could probably 100% it in ten hours or so (how long to beat says 16 but that seems really high).

Story is like 3 hours.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

Grapplejack posted:

The "most money in 2016" thing is offensive to all of my senses, especially taste. Fallout 4 / nms shouldn't be that high, and hitman being that low is a crime

i'm just glad the stardew valley dude is as high as he is. dude deserves it, it's a product of love and it shows. good for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

Mahasamatman posted:

How are the truck simulator games with a PS4 controller? How are the DLCs for Euro Truck Simulator 2?

Gonna spend ~$20 more on the sale and trying decide between American Truck Simulator, Euro Truck Simulator 2, or Salt and Sanctuary. Just got a PS4 controller and want to make sure it's a game I won't need to use the M+KB.

euro truck simulator works great with the ds4, dlc is also worth it if it isn't too expensive. no idea about the americas, can't afford them yet.

but all those games should work well with the ds4 so you should be fine.

• Locked thread