Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.
So what Ive spotted so far:

Abzu - 6 bucks (down from 20)
Lumo - 8 (Down from 20)

And thats it regarding big discounts on my wishlist? Meh. Its fine, I spent too much on the black friday sale anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

strategery
Apr 21, 2004

kater posted:

Also Arkham Knight $6.79 seems good.

Im not sure even 7 dollars is worth the risk of having issues with that game.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004

Inzombiac posted:

Friends!

I have a Steam link and two controllers.
Recommend to be split screen games to play with my GF!
The more mindless explosions the better.

edit: What the hell. MGSV is not on sale :(

Gangbeasts (Brawler)
Screen Cheat (Shooter)
Broforce (Side scroller)
Terraria (Metroid-y minecraft game)
Crawl (up to 4. At any point, one person is the hero, rest are villains). Plays like a zelda1 action game. Sorta.
Helldivers (4 person coop)

Half debating not buying anything in the sale and just doing the December monthly humble (Vermintide).

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
Crafting / Survival pick time!

Planet Explorers
Empyrion Galactic Survival
Starmade
Astroneer (not on sale)
Boundless (Not on Sale)
Osiris

Any other spacey building crafting game thing. I do have Space Engineers :)

strategery
Apr 21, 2004

Bruce Boxlicker posted:

Just picked up a steam controller and steam link on sale. Does the link work very well? I've got a nice new smart tv but somehow I just feel pretty skeptical that it can play games without massive latency.

Yes works flawlessly but there are a couple of important things to note:
1. I HAD to get power AC adapters to get it to work without lag or screen issues. These cost around 80 bucks. Having either side wireless didnt work well. Unless your home network is stupid fast. Mine is not.
2. Some games have loaders (like pop-ups where something has to be selected first before the game runs). In my experience these are USUALLY not an issue. Skyrim, for example, ignores it and loads into the game. Sometimes this isnt the case.
3. Sound. The way it is supposed to work is you press the steam button on it and it switches the hdmi over to the right source and it loads in big picture mode. For whatever reason, in my experience, it refuses to switch over the audio on the pc to stream it to the steam link. So i have to change the audio source on my pc first before i am going to use it. Maybe there is somethign I dont know. But i couldnt get the audio to work otherwise.
4. You can use a wireless ps4 controller also. Just keep that in mind.

Bonus: You can run emulators or minecraft on the steam link and they work fine.

Edit; Kerbel Space Program is 13 bucks. Well gently caress.

strategery fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Dec 22, 2016

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
Is steam offline? I can access the internet (obviously) but My computer wont log onto steam, saying it cant connect to the steam network. :\

strategery
Apr 21, 2004

TheCrushinator posted:

Going to assuming the servers got slammed when a particular game got a deep discount. It will clear up soon i'm sure.

What game? :\

strategery
Apr 21, 2004

Mordja posted:

Is XCOM2 fixed yet? I should be able to brute-force it regardless (1070, 16 GB DDR4, i5-6600K overclocked to 4.1) but I know that it was a technical mess at launch.

I have a 5 year old sandy bridge i5 (2500k) and 8 gb with a radeon 6950 and i played through it fine.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004

Char posted:

Dear goons, is there any fat to trim here?
Going for the mainstream-indie-hits of 2016 (at least, those I didn't buy yet) and whatever I promised I'd buy years ago but I never did (Ori, LISA, Freedom Planet).

DOOM
Ori and the Blind Forest: Definitive Edition
Gunpoint
Darkest Dungeon
Enter the Gungeon
Hyper Light Drifter
Freedom Planet
Subnautica

This list is what id get from that.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
Is the Binding of Issac thing coming out soon that supports steam workshop mods an expansion to afterbirth? Or is a seperate game?

strategery
Apr 21, 2004

Dali Parton posted:

Picked up Alien Isolation because I saw Alien for the first time this year (which I mega enjoyed), and I really like suspense games. Heads are gonna roll in here if this game sucks.

My favorite game of 2014.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004

Lethemonster posted:

The Gran Turismo games are some of my favourite games of all time. Im looking to collect racing games anything like it. I dont like arcadey racing at all

Assetto Corsa and Dirt Rally both have good reviews. Could some people who've played them tell me how they found them? Do either end up being more arcadey than simulatey?

Project CARS is probably your best bet. Cant say anything about the two you mentioned though.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Hang on, I'm a Luddite here I guess. This Steam Link thing:

Does the PC need Bluetooth capabilities?

What connections does the Link need? I assume there's a power wall wart, and a HDMI port, but does it "need" to be wired Ethernet?

Would I need a wireless dongle thing to use a wireless Xbox 360 controller?

If I use a wireless DS3 or DS4 controller with this thing, is it a pain to switch those controllers back to working with their PlayStations?

You basically need wired internet on both ends for it to work the way it should. I bought AC Power adapters (about 80 bucks) and it works where you cant tell it is streaming. Wireless on either end for me worked, but not really well enough to play a whole game that way.

Regarding controllers, the PS4 controller works fine and is easy to set up. I havent switched it back to ps4 yet, but I imagine you would just need to plug it in the ps4 wired and then turn the ps4 on to set it back.

strategery fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Dec 27, 2016

strategery
Apr 21, 2004

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Blood Dragon is not great. Just skip all the way to Far Cry Primal

Embrace your own wrongness. All the far cry games are good. Except 1 which isn't bad but it also is a very different game.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
So apparently Gamestop's online store has Wasteland 2 for 5 bucks. Just fyi.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004

Julio Cruz posted:

Bought Tharsis for £1.86 cause someone picked it in their best 2016 list, but good grief it's basically impossible even on normal difficulty. Done about 5 playthroughs now and not got any further than 6 or 7 turns, the minute you get one set of bad dice rolls you're immediately hosed with no way of fighting back.

yeah Tharsis reminds me of Gods will be Watching in that both games rely on randomization that ultimately undermine the player choices. Tharsis can be fun, but in my experience, it was just impossible and the goal of beating the game seemed unobtainable or something you almost dont shoot for but rather just deal with different situations. but still die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

strategery
Apr 21, 2004

psychopomp posted:

Okay, narrowed it down to one of:

Stalker: Pripyat/Clear Sky/Chernobyl bundle
Wolfenstein TNO + New Blood
Curious Expedition
Offworld Trading Company
Master of Orion. I loved 1 & 2, didn't care for 3.

Thoughts/suggestions/warnings/opinions?

Personally I would go with Wolfenstien TNO and TOB. Excellent games.

• Locked thread