Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Controversial opinions and hot takes.

Reiterating Buy Alpha Protocol. They basically invented the dialogue system that you associate with Telltale now, only theirs has actual consequences and branching and a cool story.

Never buy the execrable Deponia franchise. Bad puzzles, bad writing, terrible characters. I've played like a billion point and click adventures and the Deponia games are some of the worst.

EYE Divine Cybermancy doesn't make an ounce of goddamn sense and is cludgy as gently caress. That's honestly the thing I'd compare it most to Deus Ex for -- that it feels weird and clunky, only it doesn't have the nostalgia to make up for it.

Wolfenstein: New Order is badly written filler pretending to be well written filler.

Never buy Hidden Object Games from Jetdogs. The adventure-lite portions joining the hidden object sections are horrible.

Safecracker will go on sale for like 5 cents but it won't work on your computer.

Every Wadjet Eye title is good except The Shivah and A Golden Wake. Technobabylon and Resonance are the best. Great point and click adventures.

Never buy episodic adventures until they're complete. The small companies never finish (Majestic Nights, Bullets & Blues, Kentucky Route Zero) and the big ones will sell the whole series for half-off before it's even completed (Telltale).

Honest Hearts is the one bad DLC for New Vegas.

Vermintide's resemblance to L4D ends at the concept stage. The melee system is super deep and will give back as much as you put into it and that makes it a super rewarding game.

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Dec 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Relin posted:

i assume steam is doing better all the time? just personally, i don't really see friends buy games during the big sales any more. and they aren't big game hoarders like me. and i'm in the age range of people who spend the most on games

nothing on my 20 item wishlist is even 50% off. i know it's the same song and dance about sales being worse every time but there's my 2 cents

I got Arkham Asylum for five dollars ages ago. That's ruined me for later Steam sales which apparently don't give a poo poo about how old, how big, or how popular a game is. Like oh wow Mini Metro dropped to 6 bucks from a historic 7 on every sale. I GOT ARKHAM FRICKIN ASYLUM FOR LESS. Nobody seems to run monster discounts anymore.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Zat posted:

I loved it even though it's got some issues. This is not a huge discount though and I'm sure it would get cheaper pretty soon, within a few more months (maybe when they release the 999 and VLR remasters on PC and consoles).

Anime poo poo never gets cheaper.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

Is Vermintide a game where if you matchmake into a random game not really knowing the level back to front you'll get people roundly hosed off at you, a la Payday 2?

Vermintide is amazing and only comparable to L4D at like the conceptual level. The fact that most of what you do is in melee and that the melee system is VERY DEEP AND REWARDING make it a really distinct experience. The melee system will give back as much as you put into it. As an example, a single player with mastery of the concepts could probably take down a Cataclysm-difficulty Rat Ogre (think: Tank) by himself. That same Rat Ogre could probably wipe 25 beginners at once if it were possible to set that fight up. The systems really have that much going on.

Skinty McEdger posted:

Both good shadow run games (Dragonfall and Hong Kong) are the cheapest they have been in a sale and are excellent value for the price. They are seriously two of the most immersive RPG's I have played in a long time, with great writing and rewarding progression to them and seriously are well worth picking up at the price if you even have just a passing interest in the games.

Returns is not so good purely because the campaign is short and lacks the depth of the other two games.

Reiterating this. Returns is more like a proof of concept and Dragonfall and Hong Kong are the real games. I liked Hong Kong more but that's not a slight against Dragonfall at all. It was great.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Give me some direction. With the sales being nowhere near as deep as they used to be I can't just go apeshit picking up everything

http://steamcommunity.com/id/shoegays/wishlist/

Make a case for something on that wishlist and also why I should remove something else. The first 20 or so are actually ranked but after that it's a mess of "gently caress it, let's see if it gets cheap at some point"

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Leper Residue posted:

You can get the Borderlands Take over your life package for 6.75 which has Tales from the Borderlands, the pre-sequel and the original Borderlands GOTY edition and then the Borderlands 2 GOTY edition for 8.79.

Then ignore all the season pass stuff for pre-sequel cause it's easily the worst game in the series and instead play Tales from the Borderlands which is the best game in the series. And the best telltale game.

Incidentally I owned every game but Presequel and was able to use that bundle to get Presequel for insanely cheaper than it was going as a solo game.

Still wasn't worth it because hot drat it is just not fun. But if you had every game except Tales, totally use this to get that cheaper because it's good.

edit: How is Deathstate: Abyssal Edition? That looks fun.

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Dec 23, 2016

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

It didn't have any characters I found fun to play. I loved Lilith in the first game. Find a double anarchy, build into SMG and elemental procs and being a flaming Rambo that torches and mows down idiots without a care. B2 had Gaige: Be the TF2 Scout but with better shotguns.

They were fun. They rewarded playing super insanely aggressive and having fun. I feel like all the characters in this are just "click mans and try not to die, ps some of you get super OP poo poo and some of you are going to be boring and be built for a game that's paced far differently from the one you're playing"

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

If you want the good parts of The Secret World and not the extraneous MMO trash that was tied to the excellent writing, get The Black Watchmen instead. It's by the team that did TSW's amazing investigation missions, and you don't have to do mmo bullshit.

Like TSW's investigations, you do real-world research and use real world tools with a bit of extra info gathered from the game itself. poo poo is difficult but rarely feels outright unfair.

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Dec 23, 2016

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Axel Serenity posted:

There's very little actual grinding since there are no traditional levels. Instead, you gain ability points and such at certain times and basically fill a scroll wheel of weapon moves at your leisure.

The story is awesome, but the highlights are definitely the way the quests are done. You can do them repeatedly (once per day usually), and almost all of them are fully voice-acted and cutscene'd. The best ones are the Investigation missions, which have you use actual, real world knowledge to solve them. There's even an in-game browser to help you google as you go. It should also be noted that Lovecraft is really only the first few zones. There's also Egyptian and Transylvanian stuff later, and Japanese if you buy the extra issues (essentially DLC-like expansions).

This sounds really good. Like I said above, the investigations were a major hilight. I didn't know they did another game and will for sure give it a look when Steam comes back up.

That said, I would still get TSW. Another fun aspect that is tied to the MMO part are the dungeons. They're probably second only to WoW in terms of actually being fun with real mechanics rather than just feeling like some mad bumrush like most MMOs. They're really good and the only "must-do" part of the MMO portions of TSW. The crafting, PVP, whatever aren't super good and can probably be ignored for the most part, but the dungeons are well worth the time to do.

Ciao, ciao!

Yeah I actually really did love the dungeons and had one or two done on nightmare. If there's actually enough people to still do those, they're amazing.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Palpek posted:

Ok, I'll also ask what should I maybe trim from this list. I added some notes:

Firewatch - I like good walking simulators
The Beginner's Guide - I enjoyed Stanley's Parable
Samorost 3 - I loved other Amanita games
The Witness - Braid was cool
That Dragon, Cancer - is this good as an actual game?
Grim Dawn - I'm a sucker for arpgs
Evil Within - I like a good horror game but I heard mixed things about this one
SOMA - how does it compare to Alien Isolation?
Hitman - I only heard good things about it
Owlboy - I know that the art is gorgeous but how does this actually play?
Far Cry Primal - is this game actually enjoyable or did Ubisoft make it too generic?

Fair warning that Beginner's Guide is nothing like Stanley Parable. It's meta but not in the "haha wow I get it, this is a funny game" sense or anything like that. The gameplay is deliberately hobbled because it's portrayed as a series of unfinished games that are often just sort of art projects you walk around, and the purpose for them being put together may impress you or bore you.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Bruce Boxlicker posted:

Returned Vermintide. Didn't realize it was crappy L4D:Warhammer Edition.

I mean I'm not gonna tell you you're wrong for not liking something but I can guarantee you that you didn't even scratch the surface of the melee system's depth.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Bruce Boxlicker posted:

It had a solid weapon feel to it. What is it that gives it enough depth that compels you to say that? Just curious what you like about it. It was within my two hour window so I'm not even going to pretend I scratched the surface of any aspect of the game.

I guess the blatant theft of mechanics that I wasn't prepared for kind of killed it for me.

There's just a lot involved in how the weapon patterns work, the difference on charged attack patterns, and the stamina system allowing for blocking and shoving. It gets really important against Stormvermin (the armored rats that hit like trucks), large hordes, and the Rat Ogre. There's people that can run the game on the hardest difficulty with garbage tier beginner weapons and no trinkets.

Like my favorite character and loadout is the Dwarf with the Axe/Shield combo. Against Stormvermin, I go for shield bashes (charged attacks) when I can get in free strikes and follow up the stagger with ordinary strikes to the head while they're staggered. Depending on difficulty, I might have to then put up block, shove them away and dodge to the side to make sure I don't catch an overhead strike. Put me in a team of beginners against a Rat Ogre and there's a pretty strong chance they'll be dying on the ground by the end of the fight and I won't have been hit.

I don't mean that to pretend to be hot poo poo or anything. Just using it as an example that the melee system really gives back to those who learn it. But it's not super apparent right away because you can cruise through Easy and Normal difficulties just kind of waving a sword at roughly head height and being forgiven for mistakes by the absolute deluge of health items the director throws at you.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I am glad I learned about the existence of this game. I am assuming it does not have a character as amazing as the Illuminati faction handler in the Secret World, though. (Anyone who plays the Secret World, they may say you can choose your faction but that is a lie, you have to play as the Illuminati)

Sadly no, and voice acting quality varies a bit from handler to handler. But it's not really a character driven game. The idea is you're some farflung Illuminati deskjockey so the most human contact you have is hearing the voice of your commanding officer who assigns you tasks. I probably undersold the good parts of TSW because there IS more than the investigations. It's just, the investigations are so incredibly standout that it's something I'd gladly play a game of without the rest.

kater posted:

Think I'm going with this. I've wanted Wolfenstein for a long while, Hyper Light Drifter is in lieu of getting Furi because Zelda > DMC, Trillion seems good nonsense and big discount, and the other two are $2 and seem interesting.

I kind of feel like Steam sales for me have become an attempt to avoid what is in the upcoming Humble Monthly.

I'm sure others will tell you differently but Wolfenstein New Order was badly paced and loaded with filler and the combat didn't really do anything to make up for it.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Bruce Boxlicker posted:

Little late on the reply, my apologies. Not wanting to extend beyond my return window I didn't make it to anything past normal difficulty and you know what? Your description of the experience sounds exactly like what I didn't like (beyond the mechanic theft of a game I already love) which leads me to believe that perhaps I was too hasty. I will rebuy this when the funds hit my account. Thank you for your input, I'd hate to think I jumped the gun and missed a gem. Is the DLC worth it? I saw there was two extra areas I couldn't access.

Drachenfels is kind of uninspired. I haven't played Karak Azgaraz but the opinion seems to be universally that it is good and exciting.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

The Witcher games are actually bad.

*ducks while correct*

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

King Vidiot posted:

I'm with you in not really liking them, for reasons I can't even figure out myself, but I wouldn't say they're "bad" games. I think mainly it's the combat, the combat is the gameplay (if you don't count riding a horse around and picking flowers) and it doesn't feel satisfying even in the newest one. The older ones are even worse, combat-wise. Yeah yeah, blah blah open world and the writing and "atmosphere" but I'm not putting 100+ hours into a game when I don't enjoy the one thing I'll be doing the most of.

Skyrim is bland but at least the combat is stupid easy so I can ignore it and just enjoy dicking around in Medieval Times.

What a sensible and less inflammatory way to say how I feel

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Whoever told me to get Letter Quest: Grimm's Journey, you are responsible for this:

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

You can play Brothers solo. It's just better in co-op.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Someone push me one way or the other on The Sea Will Claim Everything

Also someone throw me a recommendation for someone who likes "flawed work of genius" Obsidian-type games. Stuff where the writing and ambition is beyond reproach even if the game is a bit clunky. Like Alpha Protocol, Bloodlines, New Vegas, etc.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

We're talking roguelikes and nobody has mentioned Hand of Fate? For shame.

Each of your encounters is instanced and determined by various decks of cards (some of which you have a lot of control over, others of which you don't.) Combat is the closest thing to the perfection of Arkham Asylum I've run into and the roguelike elements are neat -- especially strategizing what goes into your various decks of cards to beat certain challenges.

The DLC is dirt-cheap and expands the game by a large amount too.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Avasculous posted:

I picked up Sunless Sea on a whim and holy poo poo this game is awesome. I passed on it when it released because it seemed to be getting "meh" reviews.

It's been sitting on my list for ages because it looks interesting but I still don't really get what it is or how it plays. Tell me more.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Following up on Sherlock, the Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective series of FMV games has a brilliant system and garbage cases. If they ever made more cases I'd hesitantly try them but the ones as-is are so disappointing. The board game might be much better.

Problems with the cases available:
1) One ends with an intuitive leap about how something works that requires you to know nothing about it. It basically requires you to make up something with no scientific basis and that's the answer.
2) Another makes it insanely clear who the culprit is very early but there's a zillion threads you can tug to reach that conclusion and only one is considered "right" by the game.
3) Another is far more police procedural than mystery. Hammer out every possibility, tug on every thread, and the culprit is given to you with no deduction or thought needed.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Blood Dragon tried way too hard to force its humor and didn't deliver gameplay.

I thought I'd give it another try a couple days ago and when it asked me to reinstall Uplay I just said "actually nah gently caress this"

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Discounts are probably shittier because the insane explosion in early access and greenlight means putting your game on sale for a nickel isn't going to reach literally everyone like it did back in the day. There's just too much poo poo to see and eyeballs are too directed by algorithms to sort through the giant piles of poo poo. As such, you're gonna reach maybe the people who are your target audience -- the people you can sell a game to for 30% off. You're not reaching crowds so insanely big that you can sell at insane discounts.

I don't buy the "you already own everything" arguments because stuff that was on sale for incredibly cheap prices costs more now than it did several years ago. Skyrim came out loving 5 years ago and it's $20, or $30 for better shaders. That poo poo has been on sale for $5 on Steam years ago. loving Oblivion is selling for twice that. Arkham Asylum is selling for the same sale price I got it at 7 years ago.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

The first episode of The Descendant is available for 89 cents with the rest of the episodes (2-5) on sale for $8.99. It's an episodic sci-fi point-and-click adventure somewhere between the Telltale model and standard puzzle solving. I've got a Let's Play going where I'll be posting Episode 2 some time early tomorrow (maybe just past midnight here.)

I guess the LP could obviate the need to purchase it but I wanna drive home this has been a really good game so far.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Talos has absolutely fantastic writing and setting but I found its puzzles really boring. The worst part is there's zero reason to do the "star" puzzles unless you can power through all of them because there's no partial rewards.

That said, everything else about it was so good that I'd still pay that price.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

NRVNQSR posted:

Yes there are? Every 10 stars you collect gives you access to an extra world with three new puzzles.

To what end though? You need all 30 to unlock all 3 messenger islands and you need to complete all three of them to get the ending.

I guess if having an extra incomplete stump of a story possibility is an end in and of itself, knock yourself out, but if you're looking at the stars with an eye to what they're ultimately driving toward, 29 stars is as good as 0.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

You can get puzzles on par with the stuff in Talos for like a buck 50 with the words "pixel" somewhere in the title. Hell, they'd be more accurate given how many beam puzzles are pixel hunts for the tiniest little patch of ground where a splitter can connect multiple sockets.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Relin posted:

what are some good roguelites that have a permanent aspect to them. i have isaac, rogue legacy, and darkest dungeon

Hand of Fate builds your dungeon and some of your encounters according to a deck of cards that you can build. So unlocking stuff in one run allows you to slot it in next time to have a chance of finding it, there's persistent quests from run to run as you unlock parts of the storylines, etc.

Hand of Fate is so drat good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I'm sure the takeaway from this is just "spectacle fighters are not for me," but lord I found Revengeance to be a massive disappointment. Dodge, block, go in for hits, here's some quicktime events that hold all the cool stuff you wish you could be doing, go back to dodge, block, strike.

• Locked thread