Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

The actual LP starts next week, but I took the time this week to sift through all of the pre-game media (the books, the anime, a few of the manga, etc) to compile a background video of lore, if you're a huge dork like I am and care about that kind of thing. Enjoy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

SIGN remains the only anime i've ever watched, i think

Eldataluta
May 31, 2012

AriadneThread posted:

SIGN remains the only anime i've ever watched, i think

That is unfortunate. Sign had a lot of weird pacing problems that made it a bit of a slog to watch. I might do an effort post about it at some point if anybody is interested.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Eldataluta posted:

That is unfortunate. Sign had a lot of weird pacing problems that made it a bit of a slog to watch. I might do an effort post about it at some point if anybody is interested.

please do because i sure as hell ain't past what i put in the video lol

elda and i are watching sign right now and while its charming and i actually really enjoy it, its like jesus christ silver knight you nerd shut up

Eldataluta
May 31, 2012

boy are my arms tired posted:

please do because i sure as hell ain't past what i put in the video lol

elda and i are watching sign right now and while its charming and i actually really enjoy it, its like jesus christ silver knight you nerd shut up

I'll have you know that Silver Knight is the best part of that show. Or at least his English voice actor is.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Eldataluta posted:

I'll have you know that Silver Knight is the best part of that show. Or at least his English voice actor is.

i think mimiru has the best eng va personally but i really liked her in persona 4 as yukiko

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

Eldataluta posted:

i've heard that before, but see, i liked SIGN's pacing

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
SIGN is I think the only anime I've watched that legit put me to sleep. It's just sooooo boring.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

TwoPair posted:

SIGN is I think the only anime I've watched that legit put me to sleep. It's just sooooo boring.

elda and i are at the 15 or 16 episode mark and we mostly talked about irrelevant things until an action beat hit so im inclined to agree even though i like it a lot

its pacing is not for everyone!

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
SIGN is the best musical wallpaper for your tv that occasionally has things happening. It's the anime equivalent of those fireplace videos.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Rafza are you looking for co-commentators ever?

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

ZenVulgarity posted:

Rafza are you looking for co-commentators ever?

I am! Emalde and Elda are good friends of mine, but I deffo cannot expect them to be on all the time. Shoot me a message on Discord (Rafza#6713) if you wanna help out!

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

SIGN was a 24 episode series with 12 episodes of plot and at least 6 episodes worth of panning shots. A-20 was adorable as hell though.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

It begins!

Audio is a little low; it has been fixed for future episodes, but near the end of the upload I noticed that my volume was lower than normal when editing. Sorry!

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
oh hell yeah rafza, play this game that kept crashing for me like 30 minutes in

like for real i wanna know what happens

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

mandatory lesbian posted:

oh hell yeah rafza, play this game that kept crashing for me like 30 minutes in

like for real i wanna know what happens

we gonna

hope you like long rear end dungeons

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

boy are my arms tired posted:

we gonna

hope you like long rear end dungeons

strange journey is unironically one of my fav smt games

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I'm surprised that no one mentioned Tron when you were looking for examples there. Stuff like .hack and SAO can almost directly trace their roots (and maybe ROOTS) back to it.

mandatory lesbian posted:

strange journey is unironically one of my fav smt games

You poor, mad, deluded fool.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I didn't realize there's a term for these kinds of stories that I see a lot in new mangas these days. As with most stuff there's a lot of crap out there where the main character immediately gets some super powers and goes on a power trip.

One manga with this Sekai-kinda story that I like actually has the main character be reborn as a lowly spider monster.

As for the game itself, I've only seen screenshot LPs, so TIL the game has full VA!

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Say what you will about SIGN, at least it's not ROOTS

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Oh boy finally out of the endless exposition and into the game.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

Gridlocked posted:

Oh boy finally out of the endless exposition and into the game.

hahahahahahaha

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

AriadneThread posted:

hahahahahahaha

Came to post this.

It's exposition all the way down.

Not just this game. All the way down.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
I started to play this game a long time because I really dug the idea of a single-player RPG set in a pseudo MMO, but man the grind killed me after awhile and I never went back. Looking forward to this LP.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

StarkRavingMad posted:

I started to play this game a long time because I really dug the idea of a single-player RPG set in a pseudo MMO, but man the grind killed me after awhile and I never went back. Looking forward to this LP.

I swear I remember this exact post from the Digimon World 3 LP

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Funnily enough, the most recent Digimon game, Cybersleuth, hits many of the same plot points as these games.

Eldataluta
May 31, 2012

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Funnily enough, the most recent Digimon game, Cybersleuth, hits many of the same plot points as these games.

I was really surprised when I went to play a Digimon game about being a detective and ended up playing Dot Hack instead. That game also has an occasionally agonizing grind, but I rather enjoyed it myself.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

Since it wasn't mentioned after being asked. Kite's voice actor is Mona Marshall. And as she's been in the business since 1972, it's fair to say her credited rolls go on for a while. But what most people may know her as is playing Izzy in digimon.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

RickVoid posted:

Came to post this.

It's exposition all the way down.

Not just this game. All the way down.

:thejoke:

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

The .hack series predates notions like "hotkeys," or "macros," or "don't stop the action every time I get a healing potion from breaking a loving pot I've already done that forty times since coming into this god drat dungeon alone holy poo poo." Dealing with party members is also a colossal pain in the rear end: if you tell them "heal me" or "buff the team," then they will heal or buff once. If you want them to use all of their buffs on the whole team, you need to give them the order to do it over and over and over. That gets fixed in later games in the series, though -- you can say "buff the party" and everyone with buffs will use them until the entire party's got the full array. What I think they don't ever fix is that the party AI resets to using basic attacks, and you have to give the "use skills" command every loving time.

I tried replaying the game a bit back, and it's easy enough to break some things over your knee early if you know how, but there was enough grinding tedium that I gave up on it.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

MechaCrash posted:

if you tell them "heal me" or "buff the team," then they will heal or buff once. If you want them to use all of their buffs on the whole team, you need to give them the order to do it over and over and over. That gets fixed in later games in the series, though -- you can say "buff the party" and everyone with buffs will use them until the entire party's got the full array. What I think they don't ever fix is that the party AI resets to using basic attacks, and you have to give the "use skills" command every loving time.

close, its actually every battle that their AI resets

i think it resets on character death as well (as in, if you resurrect them they reset to default AI and have to remind them what they should be doing). if a character is alive for the entirety of the fight they will do what they were told at the start

not much better tho, its still a poo poo system

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

actually .hack was ahead of it's time for simulating mmo party behavior

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Eldataluta posted:

I was really surprised when I went to play a Digimon game about being a detective and ended up playing Dot Hack instead. That game also has an occasionally agonizing grind, but I rather enjoyed it myself.

Also a bit of Shin Megami Tensei as well. Some of those boss designs get surprisingly hosed up.

Eldataluta
May 31, 2012

Warmal posted:

Since it wasn't mentioned after being asked. Kite's voice actor is Mona Marshall. And as she's been in the business since 1972, it's fair to say her credited rolls go on for a while. But what most people may know her as is playing Izzy in digimon.

Oh wow. That's really interesting. Thank you.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

AriadneThread posted:

actually .hack was ahead of it's time for simulating mmo party behavior

Close, but the party doesn't call you a shitlord tryhard because you're just trying to survive an encounter and beat the boss in a somewhat timely manneGOD DAMMIT WAVEMASTER STOP MELEEING AND CAST A HEAL YOU loving gently caress! WE'D BE DONE ALREADY IF YOU WOULD'VE DONE THAT.

Ahem.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

They do, however, go offline whenever you really would've wanted to have them in the party.

ScurvyKip
May 15, 2009

Look Rubedo, I'm free!
I was considering doing this series as my first LP but I ended up deciding that Xenosaga was easier to tackle. Good loving luck.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
dot hack games arre the worst

xxarmageddonxx
May 17, 2012
I'm glad someone is doing this. I miss these games and have all of them, the anime, and the manga. One day I'll find my ps2 from wherever my gf put it away to. These sets of games were one of the few that I 100%.

Godspeed man. Godspeed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

lets explore a spooky cathedral

updates will be coming faster in the coming weeks, this past week was me learning a harsh lesson about backing up your work, so apologies for the delay on this one!

next episode...t h e s l o w d o b e r m a n

• Locked thread