Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eldataluta
May 31, 2012

Bricoleur posted:

The facial tattoos on many of the characters are interesting, but I don't recall if there was ever any lore significance to them. I do think it's funny how there's an in-game explanation for "character recolors" - because in an MMORPG with millions of players of course you'll see dupes running around.

I actually know this one. They're called wave symbols, and have to do with a characters' elemental affinities and weaknesses. I want to say that they were mentioned in one of the light novels. Maybe A. I. Buster?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bricoleur
Feb 1, 2012

I vaguely remember something like that. I think the tan hexagon was the one for earth? But I don't think it ever did anything more than decoration, at least on players. Or maybe it does. What wave symbols are on Elk's face, wind? Does this mean he has a high resistance to wind attacks?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

boy are my arms tired posted:

*tugging collar, looking for an exit*

haha yeah what dork would spend that kind of money on old anime games, whew lad they must be HUGE losers, haha

Yeah hahaha who'd buy Infection at the end of the PS2's lifespan? And then decide to play it, curse his way through it, then trudge through snow to buy Mutation-Quarantine? Haha what a loving idiot that guy would be lol

oath2order
Oct 12, 2013

It's MAGIC. I don't have to explain shit!

Bricoleur posted:

Finally caught up on all the episodes. Can't stand Mistral's voice, even though her character is otherwise fine.

Parts of it seem really cheesey, like how people cannot fathom something wrong happening to the game. But it helps to remember this is an alternate universe where a computer virus is just unfathomable, let alone one that is running unchecked in the biggest MMORPG, or one that is capable of sending people exposed to it into a coma in real life.

You say that, but the reason things got to that point is because someone released a computer virus that literally killed people.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

oath2order posted:

You say that, but the reason things got to that point is because someone released a computer virus that literally killed people.

After that, systems were put in place to make it safe man nothing bad could possibly happen to someone again!

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Herr Tog posted:

After that, systems were put in place to make it safe man nothing bad could possibly happen to someone again!

i can't think of a possible more secure practice then legally mandating a single operating system for the entire world

Bricoleur
Feb 1, 2012

oath2order posted:

But the Pluto's Kiss virus only killed people because it crashed every single computer connected to the internet at the same time for over an hour. It didn't directly kill people, but it did shut down traffic lights, hospital machines, emergency service computers, etc. and the result was an utter catastrophe. The only OS proven to not be affected, and in fact was seemingly immune to any computer virus, was the ALTIMIT system. They quickly became the sole OS used worldwide. The IMOQ games take place a few years later, when the average joe considers computer viruses to be a thing of the past. People are supposed to be safe.

But now teens like Kite and BlackRose are trying to deal with not only that computer viruses are chugging away, but something so bad it has the capacity to send a person into a coma just from experiencing something in a videogame. So not only do they have to deal with how a computer virus can affect a human being, but a society that believes computer viruses in general Just Don't Happen Anymore.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

AriadneThread posted:

i can't think of a possible more secure practice then legally mandating a single operating system for the entire world

*in very steve jobs voice*

"I've always wanted to own and control the primary technology in everything we do."

first mutation episode hitting this weekend; planned for yesterday but uh, technical problems, yeah, lets go w/ that

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Descendants of Fianna is actually a really good title for legendary warriors. In Irish myth, the Fianna were wandering bands of landless warriors. In the Fenian Cycle, they were led by the hero Fionn Mac Cumhaill (pronounced Finn MacCool.). Fianna is the plural - one group would be a fiann. There were real world versions, and individual members were known as kerns. The legendary fianna had a warhorn, the Dord Fiann, which was used to intimidate foes and communicate in battle. They had three mottos - Glaine ar gcroi, meaning 'Purity of our hearts', Neart ar ngeag (Strength of our limbs) and Beart de reir ar mbriathar (Actions to match our speech). Even today, the legacy of the Fianna is referred to in Irish political parties and nationalist groups as well as in the names of units in the Irish armed forces.

Fionn himself is a huge figure in legend. His father, Cumhail, was the leader of the Fianna before him, and his mother, Muirne, was a druid's daughter whom Cumhail kidnapped after being refused her hand in marriage. (It is unrecorded how Muirne felt about either the refusal or the abduction.) Fionn studied under a druid who may also have been a leprechaun, and as his graduation challenge, the druid, Finn Eces, sent him to catch the Salmon of Knowledge - a mystical fish whose flesh would grant ultimate knowledge of all things. Fionn caught the drat thing, but burned his thumb while cooking it and stuck his thumb in his mouth, tasting it - and so, whenever he had his thumb in his mouth, Fionn mac Cumhail knew everything. He would go on to defeat a man who could breathe fire and magically send people to sleep. He married a woman who had been turned into a deer, turning her back with the help of his dogs, whose father was a man who was turned into a dog. He also earned the power to heal any wound with water as long as the water was held in his hands. He doesn't even die - according to legend, he slumbers in a cave with the Fianna, to return to defend Ireland in its time of direst need, when the Dord Fiann hunting horn is blown three times.

E: Also, the word for shadow is generally not spelled 'skeith' but instead 'scáth' or 'scaith' but this is what happens when you take old Scots-Gaelic, transliterate into Japanese, then transliterate that into English.

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Mar 28, 2017

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Mors Rattus posted:

He doesn't even die - according to legend, he slumbers in a cave with the Fianna, to return to defend Ireland in its time of direst need, when the Dord Fiann hunting horn is blown three times.

so, brexit

nice write up, thanks! irish mythology (or, well, mythology in general) is always cool to read

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Bricoleur posted:

But the Pluto's Kiss virus only killed people because it crashed every single computer connected to the internet at the same time for over an hour. It didn't directly kill people, but it did shut down traffic lights, hospital machines, emergency service computers, etc. and the result was an utter catastrophe. The only OS proven to not be affected, and in fact was seemingly immune to any computer virus, was the ALTIMIT system. They quickly became the sole OS used worldwide. The IMOQ games take place a few years later, when the average joe considers computer viruses to be a thing of the past. People are supposed to be safe.

But now teens like Kite and BlackRose are trying to deal with not only that computer viruses are chugging away, but something so bad it has the capacity to send a person into a coma just from experiencing something in a videogame. So not only do they have to deal with how a computer virus can affect a human being, but a society that believes computer viruses in general Just Don't Happen Anymore.

It's maybe easier to think of it in terms of real world viruses. We all know smallpox has been virtually eradicated, so to your average person, smallpox just doesn't exist. To virologists, health organisations and the like, however, the idea of a new, nastier strain of the disease coming out is a literal nightmare. The way the admins act here, telling people it's just rumour and hearsay? That's likely how many governments would react in the real world. It can't be smallpox, must be some kind of allergic reaction or another disease entirely! No need to talk about it. Ever. You get me?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

AriadneThread posted:

https://twitter.com/ArmsControlWonk/status/816481483804184577

.hack and Megaman Battle Network were ahead of their time

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
TONIGHT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27A_Xz6MYjQ

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

If Blackrose had more lines like this I think she'd be a lot more memorable and likable.

And tbf this was basically the equivalent of dropping the fbomb back in this game's day.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

SSNeoman posted:

If Blackrose had more lines like this I think she'd be a lot more memorable and likable.

And tbf this was basically the equivalent of dropping the fbomb back in this game's day.

:agreed:

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

As always, the non-commentary version is provided as well, here: https://youtu.be/G86o3fU2RGQ

Welcome to Mutation folks.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

already our hosts are tearing each other apart

also: i actually liked grunty racing, i remember going out of my way to max out on the prizes

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Final Fantasy X owned. Your friends are dumb. :colbert:

Final Fantasy X-2 owned too.

Fight me.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

SSNeoman posted:

Final Fantasy X owned. Your friends are dumb. :colbert:

Final Fantasy X-2 owned too.

Fight me.

This person is correct and we are now battle-brothers. We will fight you.

The story of FFX and FFX-2 were bad

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Herr Tog posted:

FFX was a legit good story told poorly. So was X-2.

Fight me!

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

RickVoid posted:

FFX was a legit good story told poorly. So was X-2.

Fight me!

zombie auron and Seymour never being sent by the highest summoner but instead marrying one and employing the other. Why? Also why the victorious high summoner still cares about this selfish guy and side trackers he strange new career to find him?

Why is Paine a character other than to hit certain demographics since Lulu got pregnant? Also let us not forget the old man who told you about Spira since they have no organic way or poorly handled racism.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

Herr Tog posted:

Count me in as well.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
FFX and X-2 were Cool and Good games. They had their faults but they were still awesome. Even though X-2 had an elvis impersonator.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Paine was the best, what are you on? "What's the password for this guy?" "How about 'Kick. Its. rear end'"

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Herr Tog posted:

zombie auron and Seymour never being sent by the highest summoner but instead marrying one and employing the other. Why? Also why the victorious high summoner still cares about this selfish guy and side trackers he strange new career to find him?

Why is Paine a character other than to hit certain demographics since Lulu got pregnant? Also let us not forget the old man who told you about Spira since they have no organic way or poorly handled racism.

SSNeoman posted:

Paine was the best, what are you on? "What's the password for this guy?" "How about 'Kick. Its. rear end'"

This.

Also, Tog is either having a stroke or trying to bait somebody, as nothing in that spoiler makes sense.

Edit: Actually, gently caress it, I'm gonna bite the goddamn bait here. Removed the spoiler bar because why the gently caress was it there in the first place?

Let's start at the bottom, with the old guy that gives you exposition. Ahem: He's an elderly scholar in a world where people are primarily concerned with (1) Eating, (2) loving, (3) Playing Blitzball, and (4) Not Getting loving Killed By The Evil Water Demon Sin. Sounds like a guy who has spent his life trying to teach history to people who really don't give a gently caress. Some guy wanders over really loving confused about the world, who claims he has amnesia and is really interested in learning? Yeah, he's gonna exposit at you all loving day.

RE: Racism. Not sure how it was "poorly handled". Wakka is racist as gently caress against the Al Bhed. He comes off as an rear end in a top hat. He is confronted about his beliefs, and is forced to realize that he is wrong and an rear end in a top hat. He stops being an rear end in a top hat.

The Grand Maester of Yevon (or whatever the gently caress his title was, I forget) being unsent was indicative of the fact that THE CHURCH OF YEVON IS loving CORRUPT and IS USING THE CYCLE OF SIN AND THE SACRIFICE OF SUMMONERS TO MAINTAIN THEIR STRANGLEHOLD ON SPIRA. This is also why Seymour is not sent after his death, because he's corrupt. Auron hides the fact that he's unsent. If you are asking why Yuna doesn't send either of them, she doesn't send Seymour because he won't let her, and Auron asks her not to and she respects his wishes. And apparently no one can tell that you're an unsent unless you actually tell them? Also the whole sending thing appears to be a somewhat complicated ritual that none of these people were going to give her the time of day to perform.

Anyway, none of these are addressing that FFX is about a society dealing with the ongoing consequences of the outcome of a war that happened so long ago that no one living remembers why it was fought yet they are still being hurt by it. Y'know, like people who are still being killed by landmines that were placed decades ago by people who are long dead. FFX-2 is about being so blinded by your own ambition and your situation that your fail to realize that you are repeating the same mistakes that ruined your world in the first place.

Neither of these stories were told particularly well, but they have some merit and I wish they had been handled more competently.

RickVoid fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Apr 4, 2017

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

RickVoid posted:

This.

Also, Tog is either having a stroke or trying to bait somebody, as nothing in that spoiler makes sense.

They were dead all along. Why not send them Yuna? Oh? no reason? gently caress you

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Herr Tog posted:

They were dead all along. Why not send them Yuna? Oh? no reason? gently caress you

I took the bait. Re-check my post.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Could you up the in-game volume on the next vid? I like the commentary but FFX chat completely drowned out the dialogue in this one.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

cis autodrag posted:

Could you up the in-game volume on the next vid? I like the commentary but FFX chat completely drowned out the dialogue in this one.

Yeah, new setup on my end so I'm trying to find a good balance, sorry about that

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Yeah, new setup on my end so I'm trying to find a good balance, sorry about that

no worries :). As a thank you, heads up that I am updating my thread in a couple minutes.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

RickVoid posted:

Let's start at the bottom, with the old guy that gives you exposition.

tbh the most confusing thing about this is that he has the exact same voice as the superpope. Like they just didn't bother to hire a second VA, sure, but it really throws you thinking there's a connection beyond "they're both ghosts."

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Mister Olympus posted:

tbh the most confusing thing about this is that he has the exact same voice as the superpope. Like they just didn't bother to hire a second VA, sure, but it really throws you thinking there's a connection beyond "they're both ghosts."

Huh. I never noticed.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

NC version here.

hosed up the title, its bounded not boundless but w/e

boy are my arms tired fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Apr 10, 2017

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008
One of the good things about there being a million identical Blademasters is that you'll almost never have to bring Rachel along for anything. Design choices aside, she is unique among her class in that she's somehow traded a good chunk of physical defense for an equal chunk of physical evasion. It might not sound like much, but physical defense is one of the only things a Blademaster is good at, and just about every class will be slamming into evasion caps partway through Outbreak.

She's not very good at the whole trading thing.

Unoriginal One fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Apr 10, 2017

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The Carmina Gadelica is an 1800s-era anthology of Gaelic Scots lore and culture. Ir was a huge collection of folklore, but it was heavily flawed due to the collector and editor, Alexander Carmichael, putting his own personal spin on everything and presenting it as actual folklore. It's essential his literary treatment of the lore rather than a strict recording. It was, however, an argument against hatred of the Gaelic Scots, which was really widespread at the time.

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Apr 11, 2017

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Can you turn on the game's subtitles? That way it doesn't matter if we can hear them or not, we can just read what they're saying.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

MechaCrash posted:

Can you turn on the game's subtitles? That way it doesn't matter if we can hear them or not, we can just read what they're saying.

Those are all the settings that I have had on since the beginning of the LP. I'm not sure why Movie Text isn't showing up, unless the in-game settings are different then the start menu settings, which would be, uh, weird

e: so I just checked the in-game settings and its the same thing as the start menu stuff, but i toggled it off/on again just to check. won't know until i record another movie which i honestly forget when that will be

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
are you still alive?

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

cis autodrag posted:

are you still alive?

barely

the lp is on temporary hold while i get some real life stuff straightened out. i only really have time to do p5 for now, and deus ex got canned. sorry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

barely

the lp is on temporary hold while i get some real life stuff straightened out. i only really have time to do p5 for now, and deus ex got canned. sorry

Cool. Good luck with your real life :).

• Locked thread