Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Concordat posted:

I was under the assumption it had the humpback that keeps pilots from being able to see because it needed room for the lift fan.

Also the gigantic engine.

You can zoom in on that and see there are differences between the 3 jets; they all have limited visibility to the aft. Especially the F-35B. The plan is to give the pilots magical helmets that lets them see through the aircraft.

Karl Sharks posted:

like okay my point is

imagine you could go back in time

would you approve the JSF program that tries to make one plane to replace several

or just have 2/3 separate projects that have their niche, all with the dope stealth tech we have now, and focus on that?

I'd go more in on the F-35B, more baby navy carriers too. Supercarriers are cool but they are big targets, maybe have 3x baby carriers all with F-35Bs instead.

I'd also have an F-35D with two seats and hella comms / computers for managing a wing of semi autonomous drones. Kinda like a Command F-35.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

Baloogan posted:

I'd go more in on the F-35B, more baby navy carriers too. Supercarriers are cool but they are big targets, maybe have 3x baby carriers all with F-35Bs instead.

I'd also have an F-35D with two seats and hella comms / computers for managing a wing of semi autonomous drones. Kinda like a Command F-35.

what carriers can it not take off conventionally from though?

i thought marines wanted the VTOL so they could use "baby carriers" in the sense that they're limited solely to VTOL and amphibious, designed more for helicopters

that and the dumb lily-pads thing they had?? lol

i mean i'd rather improve what we have that has been shown the work than try to force VTOL on a jet plane

isn't it bad that they have just a single engine too?

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
they are replacing jets that have a single engine (F-16), and yeah I'd rather multiple engines but that makes jet harder to maintain and there are millions of tradeoffs with military jet engines that I don't know enough to really get into

F-35B is STOVL short take off, vtol landing, important distinction.

F-35B and F-35C are carrier capable. F-35B can land and take off from baby carriers, F-35C and A can't.

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

do you think the f-35 was/is supposed to replace the f-22?

i don't know if you replied to my post, but like why did we stop production and seemingly have nothing in the works to replace it with if the f-35 isn't supposed to replace it as well

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
AFAIK the -22 and -35 were designed to be complimentary

The 22 replaces the F-15 and the 35 replaces the F-16, F-18, Harrier and perhaps the A-10

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
yeh ^^

diffo airplanes v F-22 is much bigger

Karl Sharks posted:

i don't know if you replied to my post, but like why did we stop production and seemingly have nothing in the works to replace it with if the f-35 isn't supposed to replace it as well
the cold war ended
drat shame i kno

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

Baloogan posted:

nah, F-22 is its own thing

the cold war ended
drat shame i kno

why did we stop production fully in 2012 though

like it seems like the f-35 was seen as a replacement for it as well, so why bother making more?

or maybe it was just resources they'd rather devote to f-35 design/production since it's a better money maker

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Karl Sharks posted:

why did we stop production fully in 2012 though

like it seems like the f-35 was seen as a replacement for it as well, so why bother making more?

or maybe it was just resources they'd rather devote to f-35 design/production since it's a better money maker

i don't really know too much behind the politics of procurement but I bet it involved whos state what parts were built in yadda yadda pork barrel

if there was money lockheed wouldn't say no ever :q:

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
the F-35 was not and still isn't a replacement for the F-22

no matter how good they make the 35 the Raptor will still wax that rear end

procurement is a loving bog of idiocy though

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

VikingSkull posted:

the F-35 was not and still isn't a replacement for the F-22

no matter how good they make the 35 the Raptor will still wax that rear end

procurement is a loving bog of idiocy though

bog of idiocy? now you're speaking my language

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe
so what's the relative cost of an f-18 and an f-35, i.e. how many f-18's could you buy for the price of one f-35, and would that number of f-18's beat the f-35 in a fight, or is this like a RPG where each ten extra points of damage on your sword costs twice as many gold pieces as the last ten

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
i always found the F-35 tricky to operate in BF2

turns out the dev team was just really on the ball

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zhv71M5xXJY

A-10 forever :swoon:

cams
Mar 28, 2003

smoke weed

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Duscat posted:

so what's the relative cost of an f-18 and an f-35, i.e. how many f-18's could you buy for the price of one f-35, and would that number of f-18's beat the f-35 in a fight, or is this like a RPG where each ten extra points of damage on your sword costs twice as many gold pieces as the last ten

its more like the sword does the same amount of damage and also hurts you, but still costs 4x as much

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

W A R T H O G

:hfive:

"Why don't we put a gatling cannon in the air, but add wings to it."

"Na man yer crazy"

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete
VTOL is still dumb and places too many constraints on the capabilities of the plane to be worth the cost and complexity. Any CATOBAR plane is going to have greater range, loiter time, and carry a heavier payload than a VTOL off a baby carrier.

Karl Sharks posted:

like okay my point is

imagine you could go back in time

would you approve the JSF program that tries to make one plane to replace several

or just have 2/3 separate projects that have their niche, all with the dope stealth tech we have now, and focus on that?

RAND did a study on this question, asking "Do Joint Fighter programs save money?"

The answer is No.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

The air force is ineffective

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Concordat posted:

VTOL is still dumb and places too many constraints on the capabilities of the plane to be worth the cost and complexity. Any CATOBAR plane is going to have greater range, loiter time, and carry a heavier payload than a VTOL off a baby carrier.

ya gotta factor in the cost of the supercarrier

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Duscat posted:

https://youtu.be/IWJeqrvoF6M

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Uncle Wemus posted:

The air force is ineffective

The Air Force is fine, it's the Navy's Army's Air Force that fucks everything up

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Baloogan posted:

ya gotta factor in the cost of the supercarrier

Right, I'm just saying you can't have VTOL planes replace the roles of CATOBAR planes, the capabilities are not identical.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Concordat posted:

Right, I'm just saying you can't have VTOL planes replace the roles of CATOBAR planes, the capabilities are not identical.

but the LCS lets us gain control of the littorals!

we don't need range!

-a dumbshit Navy guy

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

VikingSkull posted:

The Air Force is fine, it's the Navy's Army's Air Force that fucks everything up

The Air Force has its problems, namely that it is run almost entirely by fighter jocks who hate their more important missions (ground strike, logistics). But the marines make them look flawless.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Concordat posted:

STOVL.

And go look at the range of F/A-18 vs F-35B with strike loadouts.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mariana Horchata posted:

i always found the F-35 tricky to operate in BF2

turns out the dev team was just really on the ball

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zhv71M5xXJY

A-10 forever :swoon:

We still have these occasionally practicing over our valley.

It loving owns.

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Baloogan posted:

STOVL.

Not sure where I can find that info and I'm too lazy to do it before bed. But Wikipedia's listed ranges show the Hornet, Super Hornet, and Harrier II all have longer range than the F-35B?

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Concordat posted:

Not sure where I can find that info and I'm too lazy to do it before bed. But Wikipedia's listed ranges show the Hornet, Super Hornet, and Harrier II all have longer range than the F-35B?

They are all around ~1,200 miles, but the Hornets and Harrier do so with a minimal A2A loadout while the 35B can do so with a full internal loadout.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

It's bad trash for babies and its operating costs may ruin small countries in the future.
I'm looking forward to it being the same way as the tiger by future war gaming groganrds. :v:

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

Concordat posted:

RAND did a study on this question, asking "Do Joint Fighter programs save money?"

The answer is No.

oh, cheers for that

Baloogan posted:

STOVL.

look at the ages of the F/A-18 and F-35B

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

In January, the U.S. Defense Department announced plans to fund a Darpa-Air Force-Navy technology demonstration program aimed at developing critical sixth-generation fighter capabilities. The Aerospace Innovation Initiative will develop common avionics, subsystems, engine technologies and other components that could be used on separate Air Force and Navy airframes. This announcement is an encouraging sign that the Pentagon is adopting a cost-effective strategy for joint fighter programs. However, it will need to remain vigilant to avoid the pitfalls that have caused previous joint fighter programs to fall short of hoped-for cost savings and to accept unwelcome design compromises.

lol

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum
http://www.cnn.com/2016/12/12/middleeast/israel-f-35-jets/

I think the program still exists, basically, only because Israel wants to buy them.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
hmmmmmmmmm i don't watch anime so I don't recognize the material in the op, which manga is this

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
Lightning was in FF XIII I think??

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Karl Sharks posted:

In January, the U.S. Defense Department announced plans to fund a Darpa-Air Force-Navy technology demonstration program aimed at developing critical sixth-generation fighter capabilities. The Aerospace Innovation Initiative will develop common avionics, subsystems, engine technologies and other components that could be used on separate Air Force and Navy airframes. This announcement is an encouraging sign that the Pentagon is adopting a cost-effective strategy for joint fighter programs. However, it will need to remain vigilant to avoid the pitfalls that have caused previous joint fighter programs to fall short of hoped-for cost savings and to accept unwelcome design compromises.

lol

unwelcome design compromises, like being forced to make an ejector seat that doesn't kill pilots

yes the designers got mad about being forced to fix that

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
at least that ejector seat trolling doesn't get me riled up at all

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Baloogan posted:

have you seen how many geese are in the US?

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Baloogan posted:

i mean its actually a thing that happened and they got mad about fixing it

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
:shrug: there are interesting trolls on the '35 and then there are some things that aren't interesting (to me)

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Rest in piss expensive airplane that goons hated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
all this thread reminds me of is

Ace Combat 5 : The Unsung War

the wings of R A Z G R I Z

• Locked thread