Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

crazy cloud posted:

hmmmmmmmmm i don't watch anime so I don't recognize the material in the op, which manga is this

macross

if only the pentagon would realize our greatest weapon is protoculture, the US would be invincible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
what sort of good things for the american people could this money have been better spent on? like are there actual numbers like nobody goes hungry for a year or whatever

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Lawman 0 posted:

bad trash for babies

don't sign the beginning of your posts

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
gently caress that stupid loving fan

gently caress svtol/vtol, that poo poo does not matter

build a proper loving carrier or go home

jesus

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
the air force having to deal with a stupid loving plane, hosed up by having too many design requirements/feature creep, is loving karma for the air force ruining the space shuttle

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

is there a reason the marines feel the need to have the ability invade any tiny lovely island with their babby carriers and bad planes to the point where they cripple the rest of the us millitary and our allies with Noted Bad Plane F-35 II other then bad feelings over the battle of guadalcanal

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

do you really need a reason to want an aircraft carrier of your own?

the question isn't why they want it, the question is why they get it

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Because the last time the marines had any relevance was the Pacific Campaign in WWII

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Why can't the Air Force use the Navy version? Is there some huge performance penalty to the carrier specific modifications?

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Bubbacub posted:

Is there some huge performance penalty to the carrier specific modifications?

yeah

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Bubbacub posted:

Why can't the Air Force use the Navy version? Is there some huge performance penalty to the carrier specific modifications?

the wings fold, its built 'stronger' due to having to survive multiple carrier landings every day forever, its bigger, bigger wings, bigger control surfaces, more fuel

also with china building tiny islands you know the marines are fuckin erect thinking about how to take em

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Baloogan posted:

also with china building tiny islands you know the marines are fuckin erect thinking about how to take em

some sort of giant fan imo

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
to be fair to the Marines they are always erect about something

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Baloogan posted:

just fuckin' shell that poo poo

the F-35 is such a piece of poo poo plane it's amazing you'd think for 1.5 trillion dollars we could have gotten something actually worthwhile. It tries to do everything and as a result can't do any one thing well at all.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
What's funny about the F-35 is while it's bloated in cost and people on the internet hate it, people that actually fly it love the drat thing.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Lastgirl posted:

all this thread reminds me of is

Ace Combat 5 : The Unsung War

the wings of R A Z G R I Z

go dance with the angels! :newlol:

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
THE F35 IS A PIECE OF poo poo 💩💩💩💩💩

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

Zikan posted:

is there a reason the marines feel the need to have the ability invade any tiny lovely island with their babby carriers and bad planes to the point where they cripple the rest of the us millitary and our allies with Noted Bad Plane F-35 II other then bad feelings over the battle of guadalcanal

look into your heart

you know the answer

VikingSkull posted:

What's funny about the F-35 is while it's bloated in cost and people on the internet hate it, people that actually fly it love the drat thing.

well, yeah, it's a new shiny toy with cool new tech on it

like they'd love to fly the alternate universe plane(s) that wasn't a joint program, probably even more

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

VikingSkull posted:

yeah i guess it must be fine to fly a cool plane that you will never have to pay for

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
i also gotta say imo its a russian / chinese plot all the bad press the F-35 is getting. like, its dumb to assume that the biggest procurement project in human history is not getting any misinfo information war style poo poo

like, yall russian stooges if ya don't love the F-35

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
lamo you guys are AGREEING With trump lol, suck it

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

rudatron posted:

yeah i guess it must be fine to fly a cool plane that you will never have to pay for

they pay for it by dedicating their lives to it...

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I mean, if it was American pilots that were sucking its dick I could say yeah, they have to say that or whatever but it seems unanimous from all the other nations too.

Procurement is a dumpster fire and deserves to be criticized but I think, in the end, the F-35 will be a fine aircraft.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

VikingSkull posted:

Cite sources I guess? 'Cuz anecdotal but I live near a major AF base and I talked to one officer who pretty loudly said 'it's a goddamn poo poo plane' after a couple drinks. I also know a computer engineer at Northrop-Grumman and he tells me they're constantly trying to get him to work on the F35 project but he refuses because in his own words "F35 is where engineers go to die."

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Moridin920 posted:

Cite sources I guess? 'Cuz anecdotal but I live near a major AF base and I talked to one officer who pretty loudly said 'it's a goddamn poo poo plane' after a couple drinks. I also know a computer engineer at Northrop-Grumman and he tells me they're constantly trying to get him to work on the F35 project but he refuses because in his own words "F35 is where engineers go to die."

http://www.businessinsider.com/why-f-35-worth-every-penny-heritage-foundation-2016-8/#-4

https://theaviationist.com/2016/03/01/heres-what-ive-learned-so-far-dogfighting-in-the-f-35-a-jsf-pilot-first-hand-account/

http://nationalinterest.org/blog/the-buzz/us-air-force-pilot-the-f-35-stealth-fighter-the-worlds-best-16790

there's a bunch more out there too, but I'm sure you have Google

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete

Jose posted:

what sort of good things for the american people could this money have been better spent on? like are there actual numbers like nobody goes hungry for a year or whatever

Awhile ago I smashed some numbers and determined, after accounting for inflation, the JSF program has cost more than the Interstate Highway System, International Space Station, Space Shuttle Program, and Apollo program combined. And all those things combined only get to about half the cost of the JSF program.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Baloogan posted:

You can zoom in on that and see there are differences between the 3 jets; they all have limited visibility to the aft. Especially the F-35B. The plan is to give the pilots magical helmets that lets them see through the aircraft.

I'd go more in on the F-35B, more baby navy carriers too. Supercarriers are cool but they are big targets, maybe have 3x baby carriers all with F-35Bs instead.

I'd also have an F-35D with two seats and hella comms / computers for managing a wing of semi autonomous drones. Kinda like a Command F-35.

The design that's the most stupid and dysfunctional? Yeah, I'd double, nay, triple down on that. *Slams hand on table*

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Dude says some cool things about it I didn't know, specifically about the angle of attack stuff.

However,

quote:

What I initially found to a bit negative in visual combat was the cockpit view, which wasn’t as good as in the F-16. The cockpit view from the F-16 was good – better than in any other fighter I have flown. I could turn around and look at the opposite wingtip; turn to the right, look over the «back» of the airplane and see the left wingtip. That´s not quite possible in the F-35, because the headrest blocks some of the view. Therefore, I was a bit frustrated during my first few BFM-sorties. However, It turned out that practice was all it took to improve the situation. Now I compensate by moving forward in the seat and leaning slightly sideways, before turning my head and looking backwards. In this way I can look around the sides of the seat. I also use my hands to brace against the cockpit glass and the canopy frame.

He goes on to say that isn't that big of a deal really but........ gently caress man that seems lovely as hell esp given the cost of the plane.

quote:

"While the prices of these six fighters can be debated, none of the fourth-generation or four-plus-generation jets can compete with the air-to-ground capabilities of the F-35," Venable writes.

Also, Venable adds, in terms of beyond-visual-range (BVR) situations, the F-35 is able to "locate and target every other combat-configured jet before their pilots become aware of the F-35's presence."

Okay but those planes weren't designed to be bombers anyway right? What's the point of that comparison?

The second bit is just the standard 'the stealth is so pro dude you don't even know' line.

That last one idk it just seems like some marketing stuff on the military's part. Dude didn't really say anything specific other than "yeah the plane is good wouldn't rather be in any other." Might as well just be LM press materials.

Here's a January 2016 report by J Gilmore, one of the Pentagon's top weapons testers, as part of his annual review that goes to Congress:
http://www.dote.osd.mil/pub/reports/FY2015/pdf/dod/2015f35jsf.pdf

It's 48 pages long mostly consisting of 'this plane sucks' so I'll spare you tons of quotes and give you the summary:

quote:

The operational suitability of all variants continues to be less than desired by the Services and relies heavily on contractor support and workarounds that would be difficult to employ in a combat environment. Almost all measures of performance have improved over the past year, but most continue to be below their interim goals to achieve acceptable suitability by the time the fleet accrues 200,000 flight hours, the benchmark set by the program and defined in the Operational Requirements Document (ORD) for the aircraft to meet reliability and maintainability requirements.

And he recommends against the block buy.

Moridin920 has issued a correction as of 19:37 on Dec 23, 2016

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
https://warisboring.com/test-pilot-admits-the-f-35-can-t-dogfight-cdb9d11a875#.5yo29itk0

quote:

The test pilot explained that he has also flown 1980s-vintage F-15E fighter-bombers and found the F-35 to be “substantially inferior” to the older plane when it comes to managing energy in a close battle.

lmao

e: from that 48 page report because just loving lol

quote:

▪ All variants of the fleet Block 2B aircraft are restricted
from exceeding 3 gs in symmetric maneuvers when
fully fueled in order to avoid exceeding the allowable
pressure in the siphon fuel tanks. The allowable
g increases as fuel is consumed.

▪ The program lifted the restriction preventing the
F-35B from flying within 25 nautical miles of known
lightning prior to the declaration of IOC; however, the
program has added a restriction from taxiing or taking
off within 25 nautical miles of known lightning because
of only a partial software mitigation to the siphon tank
overpressure problem.

i can't even

Moridin920 has issued a correction as of 19:43 on Dec 23, 2016

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I feel like we need to throw out the middle man and just learn how to make humans fly and shoot out laser beams.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Man that congressional report is some gold though

quote:

Results from 3iR6 flight testing demonstrated partial
fixes to the five “must fix for Air Force IOC” deficiencies,
showing some improved performance. Poor stability
in the radar, however, required multiple ground and
flight restarts, a condition that will reduce operational
effectiveness in combat.

I mean

:psyduck:

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
"Multirole" means that they were designed as a strike aircraft, which means they are capable of A2A or ground attack, but yeah you won't see me argue the procurement and cost overrun issues, that's a clusterfuck.

On the F-15 dude's point, well yeah, one of the most powerful twin engine aircraft ever built should manage energy better than a smaller single engine craft. At the end of the day it's a modified interceptor, which is the role the F-22 holds now and would be a better comparison.

It's like saying the F-14 is better than the F-16, well, yeah.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Baloogan posted:

lamo you guys are AGREEING With trump lol, suck it

i have no problem agreeing with trump on some issues. its just that we horribly disagree on other issues!!!

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

I mean, if it was American pilots that were sucking its dick I could say yeah, they have to say that or whatever but it seems unanimous from all the other nations too.

Procurement is a dumpster fire and deserves to be criticized but I think, in the end, the F-35 will be a fine aircraft.

we'll just have to see when they start going up against chinese and iranian fighters and air defenses huh???

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Darkman Fanpage posted:

we'll just have to see when they start going up against chinese and iranian jets huh???

inshallah

e- the actual reason the US is so good in the air is training and doctrine 95% and tools used 5%, turns out that directed control from the ground isn't as good as forward control from the air and ability to make decisions on the fly

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Concordat posted:

Awhile ago I smashed some numbers and determined, after accounting for inflation, the JSF program has cost more than the Interstate Highway System, International Space Station, Space Shuttle Program, and Apollo program combined. And all those things combined only get to about half the cost of the JSF program.

lol and vikingskull, a man who hasn't and probably never will fly one, keeps defending it on that basis

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Jose posted:

lol and vikingskull, a man who hasn't and probably never will fly one, keeps defending it on that basis

did you not read the multiple times in this thread where I said the procurement was a clusterfuck?

here it is again, just to make it clear

the procurement process, not just for the F-35 but for almost all things in the military, is a clusterfuck

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i meant defending it as being fun to fly

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

VikingSkull posted:

turns out that directed control isn't as good as forward control and ability to make decisions on the fly

as an aside, this is a doctrinal thing that did us super well in WW2 - officers were encouraged to pursue the mission as best they saw fit and were given slightly broader mission goals whereas other nations' officers had very specific instructions and would have to get orders from commanders in the event of a tactical shift which enabled us to react to changing battlefield situations better

If I recall correctly that is.

Moridin920 has issued a correction as of 20:06 on Dec 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Jose posted:

i meant defending it as being fun to fly

then why did you quote a post talking exclusively about the cost of the program

• Locked thread