Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

TTerrible posted:

Dicks out for Tom Kirby

We reviewed the situation and knew there was not enough time for the tranquilizer to safely take effect before Tom Kirby sold the child a GW product. The only viable option was to euthanize the executive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

My space dorfs are fabulous.

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis
Wow guys that game looks good and definitely not also-bad

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Dirt Worshipper posted:

Since I'm only using them for Deadzone right now, I can say yes. It is not a bad game. It is in fact a good game. Jury is still out on Warpath.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
I just ordered some Power Scythes from FW so I am setting a bad example. On Christmas no less.

I'm sorry, thread.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

LordAba posted:

Fun fact about dropzone commander and most CMoN mini games (Wrath of Kings and Dark Age): they hold tournaments to gauge balance in their armies and make minor corrections to things. They are also really good games with good backgrounds that are fun. In fact, the balance makes them MORE fun because you accidentally didn't pick the "joke" faction (see Orks/Tyranids) so you can stand a chance to win in a game.

It's kinda weird because if you actually give some thought to balance, you probably won't get perfectly balanced factions, but you'll get factions that are playable and have something interesting to their gameplay.

Of course the people in that article love badly thought out games like Total War: Warhammer. Shogun 2 was by far CA's best game and they've never surpassed it.

Drone posted:

Mantic's Warpath pledges are now filtering down to their backers and tentative readings of the rulebook (for vanilla Warpath and for Warpath: Firefight) point to it being a good game. So it should do for 40k what KoW did for WHFB in terms of filling that niche.

I've read the rulebook for Warpath and it really feels like a 15mm multibase game like Flames of War rather than a 28mm game. It would probably be better at that scale.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Dirt Worshipper posted:

pity reply

also merry xmas :)

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Panzeh posted:

It's kinda weird because if you actually give some thought to balance, you probably won't get perfectly balanced factions, but you'll get factions that are playable and have something interesting to their gameplay.

Of course the people in that article love badly thought out games like Total War: Warhammer. Shogun 2 was by far CA's best game and they've never surpassed it.
How so in terms of Warhammer? Anyway the issue with holding up Shogun 2 as some master piece is that while it is an extremely good game, it is also the easiest setting to have balanced factions due to the majority of the factions in the game having mostly the same units.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Hunt11 posted:

How so in terms of Warhammer? Anyway the issue with holding up Shogun 2 as some master piece is that while it is an extremely good game, it is also the easiest setting to have balanced factions due to the majority of the factions in the game having mostly the same units.

Rome 2 and Warhammer have every faction having huge, huge swaths of useless units. Pretty much every faction has about 2-3 good units and nothing else. As I said, no thought into it.

Shogun 2 has most of its roster being useful for one thing or another, even if the factions are mostly identical, the unit roster is a lot richer and more interesting than the dumb warhammer units. The unit balance internally is really good in shogun 2 and you can do a lot of different things with them.

Then again, Warhammer is a badly thought out setting.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

Panzeh posted:

Rome 2 and Warhammer have every faction having huge, huge swaths of useless units. Pretty much every faction has about 2-3 good units and nothing else. As I said, no thought into it.

For Warhammer this reflects the source material though.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Thundercloud posted:

For Warhammer this reflects the source material though.

Yeah, that's true- I guess if you're in it because you love watching warhammer mans on the screen and like to zoom in than Warhammer total war is going to be the best, and if you're in it for the tactics, total war isn't really the game for it.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Atlas Hugged posted:

My space dorfs are fabulous.
Christmas scrunt exchange

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I got a gundam model as a christmas gift and thought of this thread. Thanks boom boom boom, wherever you are.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
I bought both my kids a Gundam as a modeling gateway drug.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Thoughts on Space Hulk:

The models are drat near unusable given the size of the squares on the tile. The rules are laid out poorly and it can be difficult to find a definitive answer to questions that creep up. The missions are really unbalanced and the Marine player basically has to get lucky repeatedly with Command Points in order to stand a chance (I won Suicide Mission on my first try, but only because I drew 6 3x in a row). Mechanically I didn't mind how things were resolved and liked that you just needed to succeed one roll to score a kill.

Things that might be in the rulebook but I couldn't find: If a sergeant rolls a 6 in close assault, does that become a 7? For the purposes of the heavy flamer, is a "section" defined solely as a single interlocking tile or the entire stretch of corridor? When a boarding torpedo lands in a section, which square does it land on or is it player's choice?

That said, the game uses atmosphere and if you can forgive it its flaws, it makes for a fine evening. There's nothing stopping me from subbing the unruly models with things that are both smaller and less likely to be knocked over but that makes me question why the pricetag was so high to begin with.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Is it moral to give GW money if you get a gift voucher for Christmas? Asking for a friend...

GW has already been given the money. And if you don't claim a product, someone else will buy it, leading to GW getting paid twice. Also, if the store is out by the time that other person gets there, that other person might buy some wangs instead.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid

TKIY posted:

I bought both my kids a Gundam as a modeling gateway drug.

When can I buy gundams for my 2 year old?

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007

Not a viking posted:

When can I buy gundams for my 2 year old?

I am playing the long game with mine. Daddy goes out and paints models in a shed with a spinny chair . I keep it a bit mysterious but also let her have a look at my models whilst I am painting. ("Amazing daddy") She also likes looking at models on this forum. I avoid mentioning anything to do with the violence, a lot of models carry sticks and some of them cameras (that was here impression of guys with rocket launchers) . I am posting as she has taken my new copy of the This is Not a Test rule book away to look at the maps (as any map is obviously a treasure map).

Since it is Christmas death thread here are some pictures of my daughter hanging out with me in my shed.

'Painting' on the aforementioned spinny chair

Forging the narrative as GW intended. These dreadnought are kissing. The silver "Obot" is the mummy.

I will enjoy these early years before she learns to resent her nerdy father.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Idk how easy they are to get in the states but I just got Bearguy P and Panda Guy gundams. There's also cat and dog guys which are also really cute and might be more interesting to (non-man)children.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Chill la Chill posted:

Idk how easy they are to get in the states but I just got Bearguy P and Panda Guy gundams. There's also cat and dog guys which are also really cute and might be more interesting to (non-man)children.

Bearguy P is what I got my daughter :)

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

JackMack posted:

I am playing the long game with mine. Daddy goes out and paints models in a shed with a spinny chair . I keep it a bit mysterious but also let her have a look at my models whilst I am painting. ("Amazing daddy") She also likes looking at models on this forum. I avoid mentioning anything to do with the violence, a lot of models carry sticks and some of them cameras (that was here impression of guys with rocket launchers) . I am posting as she has taken my new copy of the This is Not a Test rule book away to look at the maps (as any map is obviously a treasure map).

Since it is Christmas death thread here are some pictures of my daughter hanging out with me in my shed.

'Painting' on the aforementioned spinny chair

Forging the narrative as GW intended. These dreadnought are kissing. The silver "Obot" is the mummy.

I will enjoy these early years before she learns to resent her nerdy father.

You could also get some of the Impact Miniatures Chibis including ponies with various option parts and help her make cute little horsie minis. :3: anyone who doesn't want super deformed Tiamat and VENGER minis is a bad butthead spergheimer with no soul. :colbert:

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Captain Rufus posted:

Impact Miniatures Chibis
Holy gently caress they made a chibi Yog-Sothoth :aaaaa:

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all
One of my coworkers convinced me about a week ago to finally get a game of 40k in with him, and I forgot all the little things that can make the game such a slog to get through.

-His usual opponent and him play at 2500 points "so they can put in as many toys as possible". I tried talking him down to 1850 but he built a 2000 list anyways. Me with a gunline ork list and him with an elite chaos force. And by elite I mean 'with almost every possible upgrade I can throw on these guys'
-It's amazing how many times we had to reference just how to move our guys. Can the chaos landraider fire all it's weapons if it moves a full 12"? How does fast work on vehicle weapons? Etc, etc. I had to reference the tank shock section a few times since he swore it was instant death to whatever was charged usually.
-His rulebook had important sections tagged off with yellow sticky-notes, and the reference section in the back has a good chunk of what we needed. Despite that, so much time wasted flipping back and forth to search for rules.
-We played for 8 hours and got to the end of turn 3. No major breaks or such besides the usual gaming banter. 8 hours. 3 turns.
-Orks still have their fun moments at least. I think my Big Mek has teleported himself through his own SAG in about 80% of my games with one
-Someone explain to me all the rules Abaddon ends up with because even my opponent forgot most of them during the match

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

This is why I'm building a 1000 point Zone mortalis force. So many rules you don't need to look up.

Or kill team.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
This is why I'm playing a different game entirely.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Avenging Dentist posted:

This is why I'm playing a different game entirely.

me too!

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Warlord are doing a 50% off sprue sale, which makes now a great time to get into Bolt Action, Saga/Hail Caesar or Gates of Antares.

https://store.warlordgames.com/search?type=product&q=sprue

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Thundercloud posted:

Warlord are doing a 50% off sprue sale, which makes now a great time to get into Bolt Action, Saga/Hail Caesar or Gates of Antares.

https://store.warlordgames.com/search?type=product&q=sprue

Cheers!

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

They will also be launching a samurai game, a doctor who game, and the £35 Antares Introductory set (the antares set is up for pre order now and ships in a week or two).

Warlord have a lot of releases coming up this year, with rumoured plastic british paras as well as Konflikt 47 expansions, two more Antares races getting their basic infantry in plastic, another Antares supplement, Daleks and Cybermen in plastic, etc etc.

Rick Priestley is working on a fantasy game as well that will use the bolt action order dice, but that will likely see publication in 2018,

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I think someone was trying to go for a punisher ghost look on this star wars "ghost" ship but it ended up looking like a opossum from this angle.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
thats a cute space possom

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
poo poo this thread has no opposums yet. Moola, do your drat job.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Apparently they're reprinting Rogue Trader this year. I, uh, might give GW money.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I'm gay

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

I played two games of Codenames over the Christmas weekend. One game was very good. The other was made somehow better by my mother not quite understanding the rules. Like at all.

Good recommendation from a good thread.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Panzeh posted:

I've read the rulebook for Warpath and it really feels like a 15mm multibase game like Flames of War rather than a 28mm game. It would probably be better at that scale.

This is true (though most people say 10mm rather than 15mm), which is why we pushed hard to ensure Warpath: Firefight existed, a skirmish game of a similar size to Bolt Action, and that it received enough attention to be good - we knew better than Mantic that Firefight would be the vastly more played and popular game going forward, so it needed to not be treated like a red headed step child next to the management favourite of "mass battles".

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Reposting this from mistake in the other GW thread,

Hey guys I'd post this in the other thread but it's still closed. Got Codenames and Karuba for Christmas and they went over real well and everyone had a good time. Thanks for the suggestions for fun games!

Atlas Hugged posted:

Apparently they're reprinting Rogue Trader this year. I, uh, might give GW money.

Sounds like you can only get it at Warhammer World or "select events" which is lovely since I can't think of any select GW events worth going to even if they didn't massively over charge for Games Day.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Dec 27, 2016

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Radish posted:

Sounds like you can only get it at Warhammer World or "select events" which is lovely since I can't think of any select GW events worth going to even if they didn't massively over charge for Games Day.

The wording is coy. They say first available at the event, but that leaves it open to be sold later online or in stores.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Yeah that would be ok if they pull a Space Hulk and say it's only available for a limited time then proceed to flood the market with it a month after release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Looks like it's a WHW exclusive which is released on the 2nd. Wonder how faithful it'll be to the original? They say on the page it's based on a 'scan' of the original, not sure whether they mean they OCR'd it or something. https://warhammerworld.games-workshop.com/2016/12/27/from-the-archives-warhammer-40000-rogue-trader/

Still, the mug looks cool and is something I'd likely pick up next time I visit.

• Locked thread