Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

NTRabbit posted:

This is true (though most people say 10mm rather than 15mm), which is why we pushed hard to ensure Warpath: Firefight existed, a skirmish game of a similar size to Bolt Action, and that it received enough attention to be good - we knew better than Mantic that Firefight would be the vastly more played and popular game going forward, so it needed to not be treated like a red headed step child next to the management favourite of "mass battles".

Unfortunately, from what i've read of the rules it feels like a very slapdash adaptation of Warpath. We'll see if it improves. Deadzone is actually a really solid game for what it is and had a lot more care put into it than either Warpath or Firefight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
On the topic of non-GW scifi games, I just got done watching a Rogue Stars Let's Play, and I'm torn between thinking its so random its endearing and is low-cost/fast enough that it might be fun as an experience generator, and that it's so random it would absolute dreadful to play as a game. I really do think the Malifaux card resolution has broken me and I just don't like dice anymore. Looks like the PDF is only available through Osprey at the moment though, so I haven't had a chance to read the full rules yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P71OHehKktk

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Cinnamon Bear posted:

On the topic of non-GW scifi games, I just got done watching a Rogue Stars Let's Play, and I'm torn between thinking its so random its endearing and is low-cost/fast enough that it might be fun as an experience generator, and that it's so random it would absolute dreadful to play as a game. I really do think the Malifaux card resolution has broken me and I just don't like dice anymore. Looks like the PDF is only available through Osprey at the moment though, so I haven't had a chance to read the full rules yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P71OHehKktk

Yeah, a lot of the Osprey games have a very "experience generator" type design philosophy, where you roll on a lot of tables and see what you get.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I do want to say how thankful I am for GMG though, as it helps me see what games I'm actually interested in before I spend money. On the topic of Mantic, watching him play Kings of War basically convinced me that while it's undoubtedly better than AOS/Warhammer, it looked incredibly boring and there didn't seem to be a lot of meaningful decisions and way too many buckets of dice. It may just be that I'm developing a strong aversion to dice, though. Maybe it's PTSD from having played Imperial Guard 10 years ago.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Cinnamon Bear posted:

I do want to say how thankful I am for GMG though, as it helps me see what games I'm actually interested in before I spend money. On the topic of Mantic, watching him play Kings of War basically convinced me that while it's undoubtedly better than AOS/Warhammer, it looked incredibly boring and there didn't seem to be a lot of meaningful decisions and way too many buckets of dice. It may just be that I'm developing a strong aversion to dice, though. Maybe it's PTSD from having played Imperial Guard 10 years ago.

Kings of War has more to it than it might appear but you tend to be committed to plays due to the lack of maneuverability in the formations(it's why comp lists tend to feature a fuckton of individuals/monsters because they are fairly maneuverable). It also has some balance problems. GMG is kind of bad at games though not as bad as MWG.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Cinnamon Bear posted:

Kings of War has lots of meaningful decisions. Where you place your troops is very important because as you leave your deployment area you need units to support each other without getting in the way of one another. Once your opponent starts moving, how you move your units enters a new stage of decision making. You might need to change where a unit or two were going to respond to a threat, but in doing so you'll block the movement of something else. This might force you to commit to one area and abandon another. If you destroy an enemy unit in melee, if you choose to advance, retreat, hold, or change facing can have huge implications on yours and you opponent's following turns. There are literally too many possibilities to type them all up, but you might have to consider trying to get out of the charge range of an opponent, or angling your facing to prevent a flank charge, or running forward to grab an objective.

It goes deeper than that of course. I've had lots of games where the time I spent on my turn wasn't doing things but weighing risk. Should I charge with the cavalry this turn and hope they survive a counter-charge while my support units catch up or do I risk letting my opponent get a better position in the meantime? Where is it best to concentrate my fire? Am I likely to cause anything to waver or break or should I try and spread out damage evenly? Which of my three spells is the best one to cast this turn? Should I heal? Should I increase how hard a unit hits? Or should I go offensive with a lightning bolt?

Yes, the resolution mechanic is random, but your skills and position can shift the odds of you being successful on your rolls. It's not perfect, but it works fairly well.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that there weren't any, just that from watching the game played there didn't see to be a lot (from my uninformed perspective). But that might also be because GMG is definitely very bad at games. Entertaining to watch at least and get kind of a feel.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
princess Leia died :(

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

rip princess leia, gently caress 2016

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Moola posted:

princess Leia died :(

I was fine up until I saw Mark Hamill's twitter :sigh:

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid

Slimnoid posted:

I was fine up until I saw Mark Hamill's twitter :sigh:

Link? I'm not on Twitter

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Not a viking posted:

Link? I'm not on Twitter

https://twitter.com/HamillHimself/status/813816434073579521

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

When can 2016 be over yet, gently caress gently caress gently caress. Fisher was a genuinely amazing person and she has died way too young.

Thanks for making a new thread. A fresh start for a new year might be for the best anyway.

I still didn't get to see star wars yet, nearly went yesterday but the showtimes we wanted were sold out.

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

Atlas Hugged posted:

Kings of War has lots of meaningful decisions. Where you place your troops is very important because as you leave your deployment area you need units to support each other without getting in the way of one another. Once your opponent starts moving, how you move your units enters a new stage of decision making. You might need to change where a unit or two were going to respond to a threat, but in doing so you'll block the movement of something else. This might force you to commit to one area and abandon another. If you destroy an enemy unit in melee, if you choose to advance, retreat, hold, or change facing can have huge implications on yours and you opponent's following turns. There are literally too many possibilities to type them all up, but you might have to consider trying to get out of the charge range of an opponent, or angling your facing to prevent a flank charge, or running forward to grab an objective.

Every time I watch a KoW battle report that skips the deployment phase I get unreasonably angry. Talking through your deployment decisions is at least as interesting as talking through your movement decisions!

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
I feel like GW going from bad to less bad has something to do with Trump, Brexit, and tons of famous people worth a drat dying off, like a weird monkey's paw causality

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Leperflesh posted:

Thanks for making a new thread. A fresh start for a new year might be for the best anyway.

I was hoping you wouldn't mind.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Autism Sneaks posted:

I feel like GW going from bad to less bad has something to do with Trump, Brexit, and tons of famous people worth a drat dying off, like a weird monkey's paw causality
GW has not in fact gotten less bad, they're just benefitting from AoS lowering the bar to the point where releasing some starter boxes which are only moderately overpriced gets scored as a big turnaround

e: I mean, they've gotten better if you are comparing their recent decisions to the age of sigmar decision, but obviously any organisation will look like they're improving if you compare them to their most recent low point

Jeb Bush 2012 fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Dec 28, 2016

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

When can 2016 be over yet, gently caress gently caress gently caress. Fisher was a genuinely amazing person and she has died way too young.

I still didn't get to see star wars yet, nearly went yesterday but the showtimes we wanted were sold out.

spoiler; it's not that great :/

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I really enjoyed rogue one, much more than TFA. But then I like anime so :shrug:

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
star wars movies go

tfa > rogue one > christmas special > star trek > ???

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Chill la Chill posted:

I really enjoyed rogue one, much more than TFA. But then I like anime so :shrug:

to me, watching Rogue One really showed me just how mediocre Awakens was.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
Interesting. Watching Awakens was what showed me just how mediocre Awakens was.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

See, another benefit of this being someone else's thread is I can just leave and not read it and not feel like I'm neglecting something I'm responsible for.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

lol if u feel any responsibility for the death thread

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Chill la Chill posted:

I don't like anime and I thought rogue one was a bit better than TFA

Also no-ones started doing spoilers yet but let's not do that it's really lovely

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Snape kills Darth Vader

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Cat Face Joe posted:

I feel deeply responsible...

...for giving GW money.

As for less bad GW I think they have improved but AoS is such a low point how could they be any worse?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

TKIY posted:

As for less bad GW I think they have improved but AoS is such a low point how could they be any worse?

We asked the same thing after the Chapterhouse debacle with the subsequent renaming of imperial guard, then came AOS.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Chill la Chill posted:

We asked the same thing after the Chapterhouse debacle with the subsequent renaming of imperial guard, then came AOS.

Point taken.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
The RedLetterMedia piece on Rogue One where they re-edit A New Hope to be like Rogue One is pretty funny. I rewatched TFA last night and it was pretty good.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Autism Sneaks posted:

Wake me when they start selling bitz by piece again.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Eifert Posting posted:

Wake me when they start selling bitz by piece again.

We'll all be dead or trying to survive the nuclear winter by then.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
The Good News: GW has outlived its competitors
The Bad News: GW has outlived its customers

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

Cinnamon Bear posted:

The Good News: GW has outlived its competitors
The Bad News: GW has outlived its customers

"time enough at last", except instead of reading the guy wants to finish painting all his models and he finds out his GW paint pots have all dried up

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe
I cannot decide if this is still GW being bad, or good, or just not understanding how hu-mon jokes work

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ep5H_Plsm2A

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

"time enough at last", except instead of reading the guy wants to finish painting all his models and he finds out his GW paint pots have all dried up

Literally me when I picked up The Hobby again.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
http://wargamedork.blogspot.com/2016/12/the-dougram-boardgames-part-2.html I did another thing on the old Dougram boardgames, aka BATTLETECH ZERO EDITION.

I should do some cool poo poo with this game and FORGE MY NARRATIVE. Like add in rules for the terrain types on Squad Leader maps n poo poo so we can have Robit Stalingrad n stuff.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Panzeh posted:

Unfortunately, from what i've read of the rules it feels like a very slapdash adaptation of Warpath. We'll see if it improves. Deadzone is actually a really solid game for what it is and had a lot more care put into it than either Warpath or Firefight.

So they have a beta list up for the GCPS in Deadzone, to the assured delight of anyone who has or likes Imperial Guard or just the common human soldier, and they're going to release GCPS starters/bosters for Deadzone in the northern summer, but now on top of that

"For Star Saga we’ll be producing a number of new Nameless minions, alongside some big bosses. Just like we’ve recently done with the GCPS beta lists, we’ll be working with the Deadzone Rules Committee to produce a list for a Nameless Deadzone faction.

The exact date is TBA but we’ll keep you updated throughout 2017."

Nameless are the squid crab nightmares from under da sea.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Dec 28, 2016

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Cat Face Joe posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Cat Face Joe posted:

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these goons from the swift completion of their appointed posts.

• Locked thread