Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Radish posted:

This is true in literally every fantasy setting.

Mods?!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
dwarves are bad

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Moola posted:

dwarves are bad

the good opinion skeleton speaks the truth

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
the standard fantasy races are all bad

even humans

especially humans

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

Moola posted:

dwarves are bad

Except for chaos dwarves.

Good dwarves are bad.
Bad dwarves are good.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
I am shocked and appalled by all the dwarf haters in this thread

It's all going into the Book :argh:

Dorf supremecy mother fuckers

Its Rinaldo fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Dec 29, 2016

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Me to this thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjHclWPVij0

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Atlas Hugged posted:

I played Kings of War today. gently caress Dwarves.

What makes them so anger-inducing?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Slimnoid posted:

What makes them so anger-inducing?

Defense 6 regiments, Steel Behemoths, their loving heroes, and Headstrong, and overall good stats on just about everything. I know Headstrong is their army special ability but gently caress me when it's combined with everything else. Oh they're slow I guess, not that it's ever mattered.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Hahaha

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Atlas Hugged posted:

Defense 6 regiments, Steel Behemoths, their loving heroes, and Headstrong, and overall good stats on just about everything. I know Headstrong is their army special ability but gently caress me when it's combined with everything else. Oh they're slow I guess, not that it's ever mattered.

Slow and they can't take the Heal spell naturally. But yeah, I can see how that can be infuriating to deal with, particularly the Steel Behemoth. Why the gently caress is that Def6?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Giant Isopod posted:

Good dwarves are bad.
Bad dwarves are good.

I think you'll find the correct name is Abyssal Dwarves

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Giant Isopod posted:

Good dwarves are bad.
Bad dwarves are good.

:yeah:

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

please do not dwarfshame

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Slimnoid posted:

Slow and they can't take the Heal spell naturally. But yeah, I can see how that can be infuriating to deal with, particularly the Steel Behemoth. Why the gently caress is that Def6?

Dwarfs have a handful of different types of units they can take. Their basic unit is the Ironclad, which come in the standard Troop/Regiment/Horde sizes and are Me 4+ with De 5+. They're tough but not unreasonable. My friend looked at that and said, "Nah," because for 160 points he could take a regiment of Ironguard that are Me 3+, De 6+, and Ne 15/17. So he basically has nothing but super elite infantry in his army. We played a 2500 point game yesterday where he supported his regiments of elite infantry with hordes of Basileans, giving Wings of Honeymaze to one of his Dwarf characters for just that added punch of synergy. Did you know the Basilean dragon is also Headstrong? Like I can't blame luck for losing because that's how the dice worked out, but he never failed a Headstrong roll and even with Crushing Strength and Piercing, I still mostly needed 5+'s to hurt his units. And then of course he screened his army with his Stealth Dwarf Rangers and a horde of spearmen with The Fog so even with Elite and Piercing I'm still having a hard time hitting.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
http://wargamedork.blogspot.com/2016/12/operation-game-collection-star-wars.html

You know what is even better than Dorfs? STAR WARS.

I decided to do a megapost on my D6 Star Wars RPG collection because I loving love D6 Star Wars RPG though the miniatures game was super bad. With Rogue One, Carrie Fisher's Death, and me binge watching my Season 1-2 Rebels Blu Rays and *cough* catching up on the third season it seemed like an appropriate thing to do.

Plus you know, lamenting how my favorite RPG besides Call of Cthulhu just doesn't get used because DURR ITS NOT DUNGEONS AND DRAGONS.

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

Captain Rufus posted:

http://wargamedork.blogspot.com/2016/12/operation-game-collection-star-wars.html

You know what is even better than Dorfs? STAR WARS.

I decided to do a megapost on my D6 Star Wars RPG collection because I loving love D6 Star Wars RPG though the miniatures game was super bad. With Rogue One, Carrie Fisher's Death, and me binge watching my Season 1-2 Rebels Blu Rays and *cough* catching up on the third season it seemed like an appropriate thing to do.

Plus you know, lamenting how my favorite RPG besides Call of Cthulhu just doesn't get used because DURR ITS NOT DUNGEONS AND DRAGONS.

It's always been sad to me that people don't realize West End Games created Star Wars. Lucas had literally nothing fleshed out that wasn't directly in the three movies at the time.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Shadin posted:

It's always been sad to me that people don't realize West End Games created Star Wars. Lucas had literally nothing fleshed out that wasn't directly in the three movies at the time.

Honestly I don't see that as a bad thing. It's been in the fleshing out of Star Wars that it got truly terrible.

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

Atlas Hugged posted:

Honestly I don't see that as a bad thing. It's been in the fleshing out of Star Wars that it got truly terrible.

There's a huge difference between the D6 RPG that WEG created and the terrible EU novels that tried to expand beyond it though.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

The official Star Wars bible constantly references West End Games material as a core source and doesn't consider it to be EU. Even the prequels used it as a reference framework at points, down to things like the naming of Coruscant and how the Empire/old republic worked.

The EU stuff is pretty terrible in general though and each version of the bible has stripped more and more of it away. Post Disney purchase most of the EU stuff is gone but in turn most of the West End Games stuff continues to be used.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Shadin posted:

Apparently Sam Witwer actually gave Dave Filoni his old WEG sourcebooks when they were working together on Clone Wars. I'm like 60% certain that provided a great deal of the template for Rebels. As in, they statted up the characters and the cartoon is just an animated reconstruction of their RPG campaign.

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

Yvonmukluk posted:

Apparently Sam Witwer actually gave Dave Filoni his old WEG sourcebooks when they were working together on Clone Wars. I'm like 60% certain that provided a great deal of the template for Rebels. As in, they statted up the characters and the cartoon is just an animated reconstruction of their RPG campaign.

Yeah, it's insane to think of how much they created. Lucas had no alien names that weren't specifically spoken, no planet names, no corporations/models of equipment, no galaxy maps, nada. Most of what people consider 'Star Wars' like Hutts and Twi'leks and Corellian Engineering YT-1300 transports all came from WEG.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Shadin posted:

Yeah, it's insane to think of how much they created. Lucas had no alien names that weren't specifically spoken, no planet names, no corporations/models of equipment, no galaxy maps, nada. Most of what people consider 'Star Wars' like Hutts and Twi'leks and Corellian Engineering YT-1300 transports all came from WEG.

Mind you they did make some errors, I think - like almost every alien race being defined by the one example of their species that showed up in the movies - i.e. all Rodians are bounty hunters, all Hutts are gangsters...

Would have been interesting if say, Hutts were largely peaceful diplomats and Jabba was in fact an outlier (hence he's known as Jabba 'the Hutt'). If they're all crimelords, then how is 'the Hutt' a useful identifier?

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

Yvonmukluk posted:

Mind you they did make some errors, I think - like almost every alien race being defined by the one example of their species that showed up in the movies - i.e. all Rodians are bounty hunters, all Hutts are gangsters...

Would have been interesting if say, Hutts were largely peaceful diplomats and Jabba was in fact an outlier (hence he's known as Jabba 'the Hutt'). If they're all crimelords, then how is 'the Hutt' a useful identifier?

True, though what the Republic and Empire consider "crime lords" is the officially recognized legitimate government of Hutt space. There's definitely a caricature happening but even the Hutts were pretty varied on opinions about galactic politics, with some aiding the Rebellion.

I've got a soft spot for the Hutts though, my main campaign I ran back in the day was in Hutt space. Nar Shadda is just too awesome.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Just saw someone with one of those GW Repair Tools attached to their wallet lmao

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Flipswitch posted:

Just saw someone with one of those GW Repair Tools attached to their wallet lmao

hahahaha

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Wait, that wasn't a link to a parody video? :psyduck:

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Flipswitch posted:

I'm glad you finally got your bathroom mirror replaced!

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I'm glad you finally got your bathroom mirror replaced!
i'm not cool enough to buy gw products :(

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

A lovely Reporter posted:

Wait, that wasn't a link to a parody video? :psyduck:

Seconding this. Is that an actual, real thing you can buy?

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

http://elementgames.co.uk/games-workshop/citadel-games-workshop-tools/citadel-repair-tool

http://www.firestormgames.co.uk/citadel-repair-tool

http://www.waylandgames.co.uk/citadel-tools/36056-citadel-repair-tool

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Skinty McEdger posted:

The EU stuff is pretty terrible in general though and each version of the bible has stripped more and more of it away. Post Disney purchase most of the EU stuff is gone but in turn most of the West End Games stuff continues to be used.

The EU stuff getting one handed slam dunked into a dumpster so fast it caused a sonic boom is the best part about Disney buying Stat Wars. The second best part is being able to trade with Jawas at Dianeyworld now :kimchi:

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid
So apparently Norway Masters 40k has a 56 page FAQ. Plus the official ones (16 pages for the rule book + codexes)

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Not a viking posted:

So apparently Norway Masters 40k has a 56 page FAQ. Plus the official ones (16 pages for the rule book + codexes)

40K is a well designed and balanced game. Nothing to see here, move along Citizens.

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

It doesn't even come with a tube of tiny superglue ?!?

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

spectralent posted:

Seconding this. Is that an actual, real thing you can buy?

GW: Is that an actual, real thing you can buy?

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Renfield posted:

It doesn't even come with a tube of tiny superglue ?!?

gently caress no. Why when you can sell it and make more sales

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
I thought I was beyond bafflement at things GW sells :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Moola posted:

hahahaha