Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Business Gorillas posted:

What's the gw repair kit

its u

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Yvonmukluk posted:

Mind you they did make some errors, I think - like almost every alien race being defined by the one example of their species that showed up in the movies - i.e. all Rodians are bounty hunters, all Hutts are gangsters...

Would have been interesting if say, Hutts were largely peaceful diplomats and Jabba was in fact an outlier (hence he's known as Jabba 'the Hutt'). If they're all crimelords, then how is 'the Hutt' a useful identifier?

Maybe there's another famous criminal named Jabba who isn't a Hutt?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
They could at least put a bottle opener on it.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

They could at least put a bottle opener on it.

According to the video there was one, but it took the guy in the video two tries to open a bottle with it.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dztM6XSPn9o

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Maybe there's another famous criminal named Jabba who isn't a Hutt?

But they're all known as 'The Hutt'.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
If it's not in the movies, I don't see how you could possibly care. Every time people talk about wanting more Star Wars I don't think they actually mean it. What they mean is that they want more "hero's journey" style stories where an average person rises up to claim their destiny while overcoming adversity, falling in love, and saving the day. Star Wars is just a version of that. It's why Guardians of the Galaxy was a surprise hit. It tells basically the same story, but in a fresh and interesting way. It's also why every time there's a new Star Wars movie, everyone has a list a million items long about how it failed or succeeded. Everyone knows they like "Star Wars" as a concept, but very few people are actually capable of expressing why and I would hazard to say it's because people don't really like Star Wars at all. They like the archetypes that Star Wars uses, which are the same archetypes that have been used thousands of times in storytelling.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Atlas Hugged posted:

If it's not in the movies, I don't see how you could possibly care. Every time people talk about wanting more Star Wars I don't think they actually mean it. What they mean is that they want more "hero's journey" style stories where an average person rises up to claim their destiny while overcoming adversity, falling in love, and saving the day. Star Wars is just a version of that. It's why Guardians of the Galaxy was a surprise hit. It tells basically the same story, but in a fresh and interesting way. It's also why every time there's a new Star Wars movie, everyone has a list a million items long about how it failed or succeeded. Everyone knows they like "Star Wars" as a concept, but very few people are actually capable of expressing why and I would hazard to say it's because people don't really like Star Wars at all. They like the archetypes that Star Wars uses, which are the same archetypes that have been used thousands of times in storytelling.

Source your quotes.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Atlas Hugged posted:

I disagree with all of this completely.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Captain Rufus posted:

I disagree with all of this completely.

That's fine, but if you look at what are considered the "good" movies over the last 20 years, it's either a rehash or a mediocre war film without any characters. There's just not much to the Star Wars universe. RedLetterMedia made a really great point when they said that despite how big the galaxy supposedly is, there's just not much you can do with it.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

The RLM video about The Force Awakens was hot garbage so there's that.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Thirsty Dog posted:

The RLM video about The Force Awakens was hot garbage so there's that.

I thought it was on point. There's really not a lot to say about the movie.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

If that was a dig at GW they should have opened a bottle with a normal opener at the end. If it wasn't a dig, it was still funny.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Atlas Hugged posted:

That's fine, but if you look at what are considered the "good" movies over the last 20 years, it's either a rehash or a mediocre war film without any characters. There's just not much to the Star Wars universe. RedLetterMedia made a really great point when they said that despite how big the galaxy supposedly is, there's just not much you can do with it.

this post reads like you watched the Rouge one video and then absorbed it as your opinion

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Moola posted:

this post reads like you watched the Rouge one video and then absorbed it as your opinion

Can skeletons even wear makeup?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Yes as demonstrated by Moola's dad and sis here.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Can skeletons even wear makeup?

mods?

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

Atlas Hugged posted:

Saying there isn't much to it or much you can do with it makes it painfully obvious that you're not familiar with the WEG RPG sources we were talking about.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Shadin posted:

Saying there isn't much to it or much you can do with it makes it painfully obvious that you're not familiar with the WEG RPG sources we were talking about.

Yeah I haven't read it myself. I'm not sure "painfully" is the word I'd pick to describe my lack of familiarity with RPG sourcebook material though. Post something from it. Blow me away with how amazing it is.

Moola posted:

When they're right they're right. I disagree with them on the overall quality and enjoyability of the films, but you can't pretend they aren't thin.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Atlas Hugged posted:

Post something from it. Blow me away with how amazing it is.

Or is this going to be like the Thrawn trilogy where everyone who read it when they were 13 swears into their 20s how amazing it is because they've never revisited it but anyone who picked it up for the first time in their 20s set it down after a paragraph to go drink and get laid.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Atlas Hugged posted:

When they're right they're right. I disagree with them on the overall quality and enjoyability of the films, but you can't pretend they aren't thin.

I agree with a lot of what they said in that video

my biggest complaint is that the main characters are just unlike-able and shallow

disagree that you can't do anything in a star wars story but repeat the heroes journey over and over

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Indolent Bastard posted:

If that was a dig at GW they should have opened a bottle with a normal opener at the end. If it wasn't a dig, it was still funny.

Oh it's totally a dig at GW.

Terrible Opinions posted:

Yes as demonstrated by Moola's dad and sis here.

If this is what's in Divinity: Dragon Command then I think I might have to give it a shot.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Slimnoid posted:

If this is what's in Divinity: Dragon Command then I think I might have to give it a shot.

Exactly as you'd expect from a Divinity game, dragon commander is funny and interesting, but the mechanics turn the gameplay to a big time slog. I really enjoyed the first couple hours then my interest fell off a cliff.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Atlas Hugged posted:

And yet the latest Rogue One videos have a ton of RLM fans disagreeing with them. Their HiaB review was especially dumb.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

ijyt posted:

And yet the latest Rogue One videos have a ton of RLM fans disagreeing with them. Their HiaB review was especially dumb.

Calling a critique dumb isn't a particularly useful statement. What specifically do you disagree with? It was a movie with an abundance of thin characters, poor pacing and editing, and a plot that failed to deliver on a simple premise (spies steal the Deathstar plans). Where I disagree with them is how detrimental those things were to the movie overall given its competent direction, excellent visuals, engaging sequences, and gritty depiction of the Rebellion. For me that makes the movie solidly passable, but hardly a masterpiece and distinctly worse than the original trilogy or The Force Awakens.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Atlas Hugged posted:

Calling a critique dumb isn't a particularly useful statement. What specifically do you disagree with? It was a movie with an abundance of thin characters, poor pacing and editing, and a plot that failed to deliver on a simple premise (spies steal the Deathstar plans). Where I disagree with them is how detrimental those things were to the movie overall given its competent direction, excellent visuals, engaging sequences, and gritty depiction of the Rebellion. For me that makes the movie solidly passable, but hardly a masterpiece and distinctly worse than the original trilogy or The Force Awakens.

Mostly the whole "lets shout STORMTROOPERS! AT-AT! references are dumb! This was meant to be a standalone movie!" every few minutes because a Star Wars movie has them. Also not sure how the plot failed to deliver on them stealing the plans?

e: to clarify, I didn't think the movie was particularly good or bad, but a lot of their arguments seemed really petty.

ijyt fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Dec 31, 2016

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
Star Wars is dumb you guys. Like seriously it's not even at the top of "movie series that were good once and then quickly ruined" because Alien wins handily on that metric.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
The things you like are stupid and shallow but the things I like are deep and important.

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

fnordcircle posted:

The things you like are stupid and shallow but the things I like are deep and important.

Yeah well as a nihilist the things I like are also stupid but yours are even more stupid if that's even possible. You should be impressed by my edginess but I won't care either way.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Alien definitely isn't the most artistically meaningful film ever made but unlike Star Wars, there is at least some social commentary happening. Dan O'Bannon specifically designed the alien to invoke imagery of "homosexual oral rape" as a reaction against horror/exploitation films of the time that depicted women being raped as a way of getting tits on the screen.

But then they made Alien: Resurrection and AvP (which is so bad it ruined two good franchises). Of course, on the other hand, I don't know if anyone ever made an Alien Holiday Special so Star Wars has some good arguments in its favor.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Moving pictures on a screen don't always need to have some cutting social commentary in order to be good and enjoyable.

GW is loving bad.

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

Avenging Dentist posted:

Alien definitely isn't the most artistically meaningful film ever made but unlike Star Wars, there is at least some social commentary happening. Dan O'Bannon specifically designed the alien to invoke imagery of "homosexual oral rape" as a reaction against horror/exploitation films of the time that depicted women being raped as a way of getting tits on the screen.

But then they made Alien: Resurrection and AvP (which is so bad it ruined two good franchises). Of course, on the other hand, I don't know if anyone ever made an Alien Holiday Special so Star Wars has some good arguments in its favor.

There's a lot of undertones of Buddhist philosophy in the Jedi, but I guess that pales in comparison to some guy deciding HR Giger's creepy horror painting could be a gay face rape defiance of titties in slasher flicks that no one would ever correlate to anything, ever.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
I think it's just that I'm closer to retired than precocious 20-something so I'm just worn out with decades worth of wordy contrarianism by nerds who just need to educate me on why this popular thing is actually really bad. I voted for Trump to put you intellectuals in your place.

I'd understand this star wars conversation more if there was anyone here trying to impress on us just how monumentally important Star Wars is but all there is is people daring to say they liked a movie.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

No, and I like the first two Star Wars movies. They're really good! (Even RotJ has some really good parts, but it's a bit of a mess.) But there's nothing particularly valuable about the universe (artistically speaking; it's obviously extremely financially valuable). In the movies, it's really just some broad strokes about an evil space Empire and a plucky group of Rebels fighting them. You don't need to know who manufactured the Millennium Falcon or how hyperspace works or even what's happening on some random planet in the galaxy; what matters is watching Luke and friends grow as people and overcome adversity. You could set the story anywhere and it'd work just fine.

The new Star Wars movies are in an uncomfortable place (of their own choosing, mind) where they have to put forth a lot of effort to remind you, "We're basing these on the good movies," hence the constant references and reuse of identical (or near-identical) elements. The problem is that that makes everything feel redundant and shrinks the realm of possibility even further; does every movie need to involve a death star and a Darth Vader-looking guy? Yes, there's the Han Solo movie coming too, but that's still a similar problem: they're trying to make a Star Wars Cinematic Universe where everything ties into everything else but there's not actually that much to work with unless you start mining the originals for throwaway characters. Like who's gonna go see a movie about loving Bossk? (Ok, I actually might, but I'm a crazy person.) In the end though, you're just left with a series of diminishing returns because the story wasn't set up to last this long in the first place.

On the other hand, maybe Rogue One is genius: after all, it's trying to bridge the prequels and the originals, so putting unlikeable characters in the movie is a great way of reminding you of what came before, chronologically. :classiclol:

Shadin posted:

There's a lot of undertones of Buddhist philosophy in the Jedi, but I guess that pales in comparison to some guy deciding HR Giger's creepy horror painting could be a gay face rape defiance of titties in slasher flicks that no one would ever correlate to anything, ever.

Yes, a bland surface-level appropriation of another culture's belief system: high art.

Avenging Dentist fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Dec 31, 2016

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

Avenging Dentist posted:

No, and I like the first two Star Wars movies. They're really good! But there's nothing particularly valuable about the universe (artistically speaking; it's obviously extremely financially valuable). In the movies, it's really just some broad strokes about an evil space Empire and a plucky group of Rebels fighting them. You don't need to know who manufactured the Millennium Falcon or how hyperspace works or even what's happening on some random planet in the galaxy; what matters is watching Luke and friends grow as people and overcome adversity. You could set the story anywhere and it'd work just fine.

The new Star Wars movies are in an uncomfortable place (of their own choosing, mind) where they have to put forth a lot of effort to remind you, "We're basing these on the good movies," hence the constant references and reuse of identical (or near-identical) elements. The problem is that that makes everything feel redundant and shrinks the realm of possibility even further; does every movie need to involve a death star and a Darth Vader-looking guy? Yes, there's the Han Solo movie coming too, but that's still a similar problem: they're trying to make a Star Wars Cinematic Universe where everything ties into everything else but there's not actually that much to work with unless you start mining the originals for throwaway characters. Like who's gonna go see a movie about loving Bossk? (Ok, I actually might, but I'm a crazy person.) In the end though, you're just left with a series of diminishing returns because the story wasn't set up to last this long in the first place.

On the other hand, maybe Rogue One is genius: after all, it's trying to bridge the prequels and the originals, so putting unlikeable characters in the movie is a great way of reminding you of what came before, chronologically. :classiclol:

Yes, a bland surface-level appropriation of another culture's belief system: high art.

The point was neither are high art, because that's not their intended purpose. Sometimes the only point in telling a story is to simply tell a story.

As for more stories in the Star Wars universe, since I played the WEG RPG back in the day, I'm excited for anything they want to make. There's a lot of rich world building to draw on that goes far beyond the Galactic Civil War that they have never scratched the surface with cinematically.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I just made two tiny bear gundam things. Goddamn the Japanese are wizards. I'd never made a model kit before but that was incredible - poseable and snap fit and poo poo and I just needed an x-acto knife to shave off some sprue bits.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Avenging Dentist posted:

Literally nobody is arguing that Star Wars is high art.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Shadin posted:

As for more stories in the Star Wars universe, since I played the WEG RPG back in the day, I'm excited for anything they want to make. There's a lot of rich world building to draw on that goes far beyond the Galactic Civil War that they have never scratched the surface with cinematically.

I remember playing that game. I don't think it clicked with any of us (and I say this as someone who wanted nothing more than pretend to be Boba Fett when I was 12 because I had absolutely no taste). My experiences with non-movie Star Wars things (the RPG, CCG, video games, and usually-awful novels) are probably a lot of why I just don't care that much about the new movies. While some of the games are really fantastic (the X-Wing/TIE Fighter series, Republic Commando), none of them made me care about the broader setting; they may as well have been original IP. There's honestly not that much I could even tell you about the Star Wars universe other than what's in the movies and a couple of really awful excerpts from the books I read. There's probably still cool stuff you can make with the Star Wars movies, but it seems to me that it gets harder every time to avoid going completely up your own rear end like the Marvel movies.

As bad as GW is, at least the Warhammer universes seem more clearly-defined as a broader setting where a wide variety of stories can happen (so long as you're not a woman, of course!!). I probably wouldn't watch a Warhammer movie, but there was a time when the settings worked well for games, if nothing else.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Moola posted:

I agree with a lot of what they said in that video

my biggest complaint is that the main characters are just unlike-able and shallow

disagree that you can't do anything in a star wars story but repeat the heroes journey over and over

My next mega post blog about D20 Star Wars is gonna talk about this a bit actually. There are a ton of very stupid people who will straight up insist bog standard DnD style Fantasy is wide and varied and you can do SO MUCH with it and then say Star Wars in specific and Sci Fi in general you can't.

This is dumb. At least in Sci Fi you don't have 10-20 sentient races all on one planet they can't really get off of plus tons of flora and fauna that exist mostly to kill everything.

It's sort of like saying there is only one story you can do with World War 2. That level of non thinking Derp makes my brain hurt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Captain Rufus posted:

This is dumb. At least in Sci Fi you don't have 10-20 sentient races all on one planet they can't really get off of plus tons of flora and fauna that exist mostly to kill everything.

On the other hand, doesn't this describe Tattooine pretty well, aside from the fact that they have spaceships? Star Wars always felt closer to fantasy than sci-fi to me, except with laserguns. Not only that, Star Wars is full of single-biome planets, which is sort of the inverse of this issue. It doesn't bother me too much though since realism isn't a priority of D&D or Star Wars. Having goofy alien people doesn't undermine Luke's story.

• Locked thread