Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Earwicker posted:

I have to admit that other than latkes and bagels and arguably falafels, Jewish food kind of sucks. and I think Arabs probably have a better claim on the whole falafel thing

Maybe Jewish food "sucks" if you're an ignorant goy. Jewish deli, matzah ball soup, cholent, babka, bialys, blintzes, brisket, all kinds of different delicious kugels from potato to noodle, chopped liver, challah, knishes, and rugelach own. I could keep going here and that's only traditional Ashkenazi food. Sephardic, or what people are generally as Israeli food, is a whole different equally awesome ballpark. Israeli falafel is also really, really different than Lebanese falafel that is most popular across North America. Even Turkish or Yemeni falafel is very different than the stuff you see in a typical Arabic restaurant here.

So yeah, Jewish food owns. Owns so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

butterbar posted:

Some other group demanded his execution...

Well I still can't support the Pilates exercise craze.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

King of Bees posted:

Well I still can't support the Pilates exercise craze.

I do wash me hands pretty frequently though. So I support that craze.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Maybe Jewish food "sucks" if you're an ignorant goy. Jewish deli, matzah ball soup, cholent, babka, bialys, blintzes, brisket, all kinds of different delicious kugels from potato to noodle, chopped liver, challah, knishes, and rugelach own. I could keep going here and that's only traditional Ashkenazi food. Sephardic, or what people are generally as Israeli food, is a whole different equally awesome ballpark. Israeli falafel is also really, really different than Lebanese falafel that is most popular across North America. Even Turkish or Yemeni falafel is very different than the stuff you see in a typical Arabic restaurant here.

You folks had me at brisket and cured deli meats.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

It's OK.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Maybe Jewish food "sucks" if you're an ignorant goy. Jewish deli, matzah ball soup, cholent, babka, bialys, blintzes, brisket, all kinds of different delicious kugels from potato to noodle, chopped liver, challah, knishes, and rugelach own. I could keep going here and that's only traditional Ashkenazi food.

lol I've been Jewish all my life. Jewish deli's are fine but there's nothing at all special about them compared to any other kind of deli, and many of them are less likely to offer bacon for a bacon egg and cheddar so gently caress that

most of those items are ok but when compared with most other cuisines, pretty bland and not great. like matzo ball soup sure its ok sometimes but compared to a good french onion soup or a gazpacho and its not gonna look good next to those guys

When I was a kid I thought brisket was a bad food because I only ever had it in Jewish style, only as an adult did I realize that it's actually very good when made by Texans and not Jews.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Dec 24, 2016

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Well no one group of people has made the end all be all of good food. That's part of the loving fun of humanity.

We all gotta eat and gently caress all if we haven't spent a poo poo load of our time making it better.

butterbar
Dec 14, 2016
If I'm posting while Quick Draw McGraw is on probation report me for my permaban!
Traditional Ashkenazi food id all cooked in chicken grease which is honestly kind of gross

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp

Can't eat pork. A failed people.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Earwicker posted:

lol I've been Jewish all my life. Jewish deli's are fine but there's nothing at all special about them compared to any other kind of deli.

most of those items are ok but when compared with most other cuisines, pretty bland and not great.

When I was a kid I thought brisket was a bad food because I only ever had it in Jewish style, only as an adult did I realize that it's actually very good when made by Texans and not Jews.

Sounds like you've never been to a great Jewish deli in New York, Montreal, Atlanta, etc. Jewish-style brisket is incredible when made properly, so I assume your mom sucked at cooking. Which is also why you think other good Jewish dishes are "bland". Funny stuff.

I'm not saying that Jewish cuisine is perfect or some nonsense, but to pan it when there's so much great food out there is comical.

butterbar
Dec 14, 2016
If I'm posting while Quick Draw McGraw is on probation report me for my permaban!

Bob James posted:

Can't eat pork. A failed people.

Or cheeseburgers. Or even Reubens

butterbar
Dec 14, 2016

Sounds like you've never been to a great Jewish deli in New York, Montreal, Atlanta, etc. Jewish-style brisket is incredible when made properly, so I assume your mom sucked at cooking. Which is also why you think other good Jewish dishes are "bland". Funny stuff.

Wow straight to the mom insults. I thought you people were supposed to be nice

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Sounds like you've never been to a great Jewish deli in New York, Montreal, Atlanta, etc.

I live in NYC, much of my family is from NYC, I've been to a ton of Jewish deli's. I've never been to one that convinced me they were any better than Italian or Arab delis or just general American delis. Open to suggestions.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

butterbar posted:

Or cheeseburgers. Or even Reubens

Yah that's unforgivable.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

butterbar posted:

Wow straight to the mom insults. I thought you people were supposed to be nice

lol where would you get an idea like that. Jews are known for bickering with each other over the tiniest bullshit

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Earwicker posted:

lol where would you get an idea like that. Jews are known for bickering with each other over the tiniest bullshit

You folks do not even hold a loving candle to Italians.

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
do no pigs dwell in the desert? Or is it that the meat is too succulent and amazing and thus excites the people's blood? It was dirty and spoiled fast?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Hardawn posted:

do no pigs dwell in the desert? Or is it that the meat is too succulent and amazing and thus excites the people's blood? It was dirty and spoiled fast?

the reason I was told is that eating pork was associated with various other peoples the Hebrew tribes wanted to distance themselves from at that time, basically a way of asserting identity

I heard that from a camp counsellor at some Jewish summer camp when I was like 10 so its probably bullshit but that guy was at least studying to become a rabbi (dont know if he ever made it) so I guess theres some chance thats an official reason

Theokotos
Jan 22, 2015

Fallen Rib
What I recall being told by my non-observant family is that back in ye olden times pork spoiled easily, gave people trichinosis, etc. So "don't eat pork" was dressed up as a religious edict to keep people from getting sick. I'm sure there were social reasons, too, but can't recall them.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Earwicker posted:

I have to admit that other than latkes and bagels and arguably falafels, Jewish food kind of sucks. and I think Arabs probably have a better claim on the whole falafel thing

go to some poo poo american deli and have a balogna + cheese on white bread you loving moron

macdonal hamborkles
Mar 29, 2010

Twerk it good!
hooo boy!

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
ear wickers racism is juts too triggering for me I apologize

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
I have really good feelings about this thread.

SwampDonkey
Oct 13, 2006

by Smythe

(and can't post for 4 years!)

Sai posted:

this is anti-semitism, mods??????? please delete this

shhhhhhh

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Guys we don't appreciate being grouped in with the religion of piss.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
I identify as a Boobitarian.

Secular Humanist
Mar 1, 2016

by Smythe
It's pretty racist that 'muslims' isn't capitalized but 'jews' is in this thread title

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Secular Humanist posted:

It's pretty racist that 'muslims' isn't capitalized but 'jews' is in this thread title

Username post combo.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Muslims and jews, the two great tastes that go great together, finally united in one thread.

:gas::gas::gas::gas

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Hardawn posted:

According to kosher law, land mammals are kosher if they have split hooves and chew their cud, such as cows, goats, and sheep. Pigs are not kosher because they have split hooves but do not chew their cud. It's one of 4 land mammals in the Torah that are specifically called out for being unkosher.

But I think it's actually because Jews wanted to seem noticeably different than other tribes, which later carried over Islam with halal.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

FedEx Mercury posted:

Guys we don't appreciate being grouped in with the religion of piss.

That's very antisemitic of you.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
Anyone else curious how long the passive aggressive racism thread is going to last this time?

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

drilldo squirt posted:

Anyone else curious how long the passive aggressive racism thread is going to last this time?

its cool because youre the only person that has mentioned race in this thread but please keep your qcs whine level set to 11

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
Thank you, I am cool.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Muslim holidays are basically just about candy. It's all excuses to eat candy. This gets especially ridiculous if you are familiar with how in many Middle Eastern countries people eat desserts (with syrup. honey and lots of sugar) with sweets after almost every meal. If it weren't for the stereotype of Arabs being terrorists they'd probably be viewed as some kind of weird sugar hobbits.

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

VendaGoat posted:

You folks had me at brisket and cured deli meats.

yeah this

butterbar
Dec 14, 2016

Randarkman posted:

Muslim holidays are basically just about candy. It's all excuses to eat candy. This gets especially ridiculous if you are familiar with how in many Middle Eastern countries people eat desserts (with syrup. honey and lots of sugar) with sweets after almost every meal. If it weren't for the stereotype of Arabs being terrorists they'd probably be viewed as some kind of weird sugar hobbits.

Well candy is an Arabic word...

And yes, their diabetes rates agree

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
My Jewish neighbors have a tree and stockings and say merry Christmas because why miss out on kickass holiday that doesn't actually have anything to do with Jesus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

drilldo squirt posted:

That's very antisemitic of you.

Lmao if u actually think this.

• Locked thread