Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Hello everyone! MMM apparently forgot he did these last year, so once again it's time for... The Lylos!

2016's been a hell of a year, I think everyone can agree. Let's ignore all the bad dumb stuff and talk about the good things that we remember, or get mad at people for forgetting things that we thought were really cool. But talk is cheap - why talk if there's not something in it for you? (As you can see from the average activity level of many recent mafia games ZING)

The prize we're all after is The Golden , also known as The Lylo. The Golden is just like any other prize awarded based on merit, except that it will probably boil down to popularity instead. We're not awarding it just yet though! You, the fine reader, get to vote for who gets the prize... but first we have to nominate some folks. Let's review the categories.

Mafia Games (For a game to be eligible it must be a complete, finished game that closed in December 2015 or later.)
Useful Reference: http://votefinder.org/closed (sorting by created/last post is still broken, but if you sort by either of those it puts all the 2016 games both at the top AND bottom of the list, so that's something.)
  • Game Of The Year - The top prize here. This means you think this was the best game in 2016, for whatever reason. This game represents the best of our community. It's not necessarily about creativity or flavour or even the moderator. This is just a game that went really well that you'd tell people about if you were asked about good mafia games here.
  • Most Innovative Game - Nominate games that make some good, well thought innovations. This category honours new mechanics that haven't been used before or have been updated in a new and original way.
  • Best Flavour - For some people, mafia is just an excuse to write fanfiction. Who did this the best?
  • Weirdest Game - Not all games are trying to push forward with new and innovative mechanics, some games are just weird. What was the weirdest or the most creative?
  • Biggest Heartbreaker - Noble moderators work their hearts out for the terrible underclass of rabble known as Mafia players. Some games looked very promising but could not survive contact with the playerbase. How sad.

Moderators
  • Biggest Bastard - Sometimes mods tell perfectly innocent lies to their all-too-gullible players. Who lied the most?
  • Most Valiant Attempt to Stop Mafia - Which petty fool did the best job running something other than mafia?
  • Best Moderator Intervention - While mods are supposed to be hands-off, sometimes they have to step in. Who did it best?

Players
  • Best New Player - Immigrants are the lifeblood of our dying community. We love them. Please, stick around!
  • Best Scum Player - Who does the best job of murdering innocent townies day in and day out?
  • Best Scumteam - More than just an individual, it's all about the team! Name the players and the game they scummed in.
  • MelvinTheJerk's S C U M H U N T E R Award - If you were scum, who would keep you up at night in a cold sweat wondering if they're going to case YOU next?
  • Most Improved - Who sucks less than they did at the beginning of the year?
  • Ballsiest Play - It doesn't have to be successful, but who did the wildest poo poo?
  • Best Shitposter - Whose shitposts are most tolerable in this glorious day and age of elevated discourse?
  • Best Posting Restriction - Who made the best of a hilarious dumb posting restriction, whether self-imposed or mod-imposed?
  • Best Post - Best post dealt out in any game or the discussion thread. Is it a sick burn, or an insightful case? (The latter doesn't exist anymore.)

Nomination Rules
  • You can only submit one nomination per category.
  • You can't nominate yourself or a game you modded.

To nominate, just post in THIS THREAD! Put the category you are nominating for in bold, followed by the non bolded nominee. If you want to explain your choice do it on a separate line. A good nomination post looks like this:

quote:

Biggest Bastard - MMM
He came up with a perfectly good annual award show and didn't follow through for Year 2!

Here's all the categories in plain text for easy use:

quote:

Game of the Year
Most Innovative Game
Best Flavour
Weirdest Game
Biggest Heartbreaker
Biggest Bastard
Most Valiant Attempt to Stop Mafia
Best Moderator Intervention
Best New Player
Best Scum Player
Best Scumteam
MelvinTheJerk's S C U M H U N T E R Award
Most Improved
Ballsiest Play
Best Shitposter
Best Posting Restriction
Best Post

If you have other suggestions for categories or doing this better, let me know. After I get a decent number of nominations, I'll start voting up!

Podima fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Dec 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
I'm protesting outside that it should be called the EXLOs.

#lylossowhite
#nojustice
#nopeace

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Didn't fill in every one because I couldn't think of one and am on the phone. Someone better nominate me for Fergully.

Game of the Year
Conquest of Qal - technically soldiers but the number of new and old players it pulled in, and the fact that it stayed alive for the month it ran, was astounding.

Most Innovative Game
Shine! Whichever version really. Pods makes some intriguing set ups.

Best Flavour
Qal - for some reason, Arrentia lore is stuck in my head.

Weirdest Game
FF1 - this game reached a point where I had no idea what other moving parts existed, or even what our win condition was.

Chores - no one else tried, so this is the default.

Pods modkill on day one of shine 3 for someone accidentally posting their role pm.

Best New Player
Is Tobbs new? If yes, him. I love watching him play.

Best Scum
Lord of Hats for the clutch win in Qal, and convincing the king to self hammer.

Best Scumteam
The scum team in my thread of Qal, because come on, Kash + TMM = fun.

Best Scumhunter
KB. His last few games have been ferocious. Especially Shine 3

Ballsiest Play
Stickup in Shine 3 for their sick nasty claim

Best Shitposter
CCKeane

Best Post
That one chores post about getting lynched by him feeling bad. It's in the wiki and I'm on the phone.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I remembered, I just didn't think it was worth it again/IDK what you guys have been doing this year.

I was also about to complain about the categories, but then I realized you just copied mine directly, so shamefully cynical am I.

Actually, I'll still complain about the categories, why'd you change the name of the scumhunter award, and why is there a best scum player award, that's dangerously close to violating the spirit of the awards.

I'm going to nominate Flying Leatherman for Best Votefinder this year.

Jump King fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Dec 24, 2016

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

Max posted:

Best Post
That one chores post about getting lynched by him feeling bad. It's in the wiki and I'm on the phone.

got some chores tonight posted:

i used to love mislynching ppl but now im all like "hmm if i were mislynched by powerful demagogue dongsbot 9000, i would not like that"

I second all of max's suggestions except for the ones from which I am legally barred to second.

I second all of MMM's suggestions as well.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I haven't been around much this year, but I'll give first-hand experience where I can.

Game of the Year - Cloaks by Somberbrero
Hope I can double up, because I really wanna put Cloaks in a lot of categories. That was a drat fine game.

Most Innovative Game - Bloodbath Mafia
Holy poo poo, Tobbs is some kind of New Cool Role whisperer. I can't wait to see what else comes from this mad genius.

Best Flavour - Cloaks by Somberbrero
Somber's the godking of flavor games and he didn't disappoint.

Weirdest Game - Harry and the Hendersons by imgay

imgay posted:

Since Infinitum had been properly lubed, he was capable of thought. Infinitum tells everyone, "Why Larry and Garry are one of you....Ugghgigugugugughjghghhgugug*a pistol squeezes out of his lubed anus* Any Henderson aligned player can now ##shoot Larry/Garry don't miss.

Biggest Heartbreaker - Canadians Part 6 by Retro Futurist
Super cool SK role. Hanged on D1. No I'm not salty.

Biggest Bastard - JimsonTheBetrayer
And I mean this in the best way possible. :allears:

Most Valiant Attempt to Stop Mafia - Allen Wren's mathematical Mafia simulations
Soon, we will all be replaced by computers, but AW managed to do it with spreadsheets.

Gotta head to get ready for work, I'll mafia edit these in later
----
Best New Player
Best Scum Player
Best Scumteam
Best Scumhunter
Most Improved
Ballsiest Play
Best Shitposter
Best Post

Edit

Also

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Dec 24, 2016

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy
I am going to a thingy in Boston and this is going to take some thought, but I'm snagging a spot to edit later with more picks.

Games:

Game of The Year : Drawrof Mafia. It was a true bastard setup, but it showed why arguments based on setup spec, flavor etc are almost always without merit. Also, PMOM's victory in LYLO (as well as the rest of the scum team) was well-deserved. Some notable events were chores pegging the scum team immediately and AR claiming Cop and not getting counterclaimed (because everyone was vanilla).

Most Innovative game: Mr. Robot Mafia.
With roles, flips, and scum powers, as well as an "action doc" hidden behind puzzles, this was an intriguing way to take a potentially vanilla setup and reward hard work/intuition with an advantage. Quidthulhu's unlocking of scum superpowers was balanced by Flying Leatherman's discovery of the action doc, ultimately leading to a town victory.

Best Flavour: lol Podima duh
Weirdest Game: Ecco's Nuns of Nolaisko (sp?) game.
The bad guys were nuns. Or Witches? I don't remember, except we were all farmers in a mountain and people were getting burned and hanged left and right and I had no idea what was going on until the bad guys won drat you scummax.

Biggest Heartbreaker - Molyneuxland (sorry busb)
Sorry busb. I'm so sorry, I tried.

Moderators:
Biggest Bastard lol Max
Backup cop my rear end, there is no loving cop you fucker.

Most Valiant Attempt to Stop Mafia Isn't this Kashuno?
Didn't he run a popularity contest or something? Wasn't that not mafia?

Best Moderator Intervention - Some people will probably disagree, and this is kind of the opposite, but Little Mac.

Remember when Taste posted a fake role PM saying that he could post his role PM in thread? I consider inaction to be a type of action, and it was a clever move by Taste so I think non-interference was the right play. I was scum that game (and Taste was bulletproof?) and after that we repeatedly tried to kill Taste and lost that game horribly.

Players:

Best New Player - Immigrants are the lifeblood of our dying community. We love them. Please, stick around!

Best Scum Player - Who does the best job of murdering innocent townies day in and day out?

Best Scumteam
MelvinTheJerk's S C U M H U N T E R Award - King Burgundy
Most Improved
Ballsiest Play
Best Shitposter
Best Posting Restriction
Best Post

Tobbs Gnawed fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jan 4, 2017

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Thanks Tobbs!

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Max posted:

Thanks Tobbs!

If you run a game and I haven't signed up for it, I may have died.

Same goes for if you're playing one, I still want to:

A: Lynch you while you are scum and I'm town.
B: Lynch you while you are town and I am scum.

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.
  • Game Of The Year - Shine 3. Yeaaaah
  • Most Innovative Game - Gonna have to agree with all the people, Mr. Robot.
  • Best Flavour - Shine 3, so much jambalaya flavor.
  • Weirdest Game - imgay's uncle buck mafia which just turned into shark tank
  • Biggest Heartbreaker - Was Shine 2 this year? losing that broke my heart.

Moderators
  • Biggest Bastardess - Ecco
  • Most Valiant Attempt to Stop Mafia - Dongs really tried; failed, but tried.
  • Best Moderator Intervention - When anarc mod killed me when AR killed double killed me

Players
  • Best New Player - Don't know who is actually new... I really liked Drunk Nerds? (he is my nomination if he is new)
  • Best Scum Player - Stickup hands down
  • Best Scumteam - Why the Final Fantasy Scum team of course
  • MelvinTheJerk's S C U M H U N T E R Award - The King in Burgundy holds no equal
  • Most Improved - I lack the ability to comment on this.
  • Ballsiest Play - Stickup in Shine 3
  • Best Shitposter - Birdstrike
  • Best Posting Restriction - Haven't seen one yet
  • Best Post - This is really loving hard, I will come back later.
[/quote]

Moatillata fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Dec 28, 2016

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I remembered, I just didn't think it was worth it again/IDK what you guys have been doing this year.

I was also about to complain about the categories, but then I realized you just copied mine directly, so shamefully cynical am I.

Actually, I'll still complain about the categories, why'd you change the name of the scumhunter award, and why is there a best scum player award, that's dangerously close to violating the spirit of the awards.

I'm going to nominate Flying Leatherman for Best Votefinder this year.

Nobody these days knows who MelvinTheJerk is, but i'll revert the name just for you.

What's wrong with a best scum player award? Your only justification for leaving it out last year was that it'd be merk, and he lost that title after Conquest of Qal tbh.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
i just wanted to say capps robbed me last year by voting for golgatha over otgw. i've been holding that in for a long time.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Somberbrero posted:

i just wanted to say capps robbed me last year by voting for golgatha over otgw. i've been holding that in for a long time.

Capps also robbed me by voting Cpig instead of me in popcon.

We should form an anti Capps team

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

chaoslord posted:

Capps also robbed me by voting Cpig instead of me in popcon.

We should form an anti Capps team

Capps bullied me into buying her a pizza after tricking me by being a traitor scumbro.

I will join the anti-Capps squad.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I wonder if I'd be in more votes of o hadn't been completely absent for like 10 months out of this year.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

You Pmush's room game was good!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I'm not grubbing for votes. I'm saying that I wish I was a part of more of these awesome sounding games.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Podima posted:

Nobody these days knows who MelvinTheJerk is, but i'll revert the name just for you.

What's wrong with a best scum player award? Your only justification for leaving it out last year was that it'd be merk, and he lost that title after Conquest of Qal tbh.

Nothing's wrong I'm just a grouchy Gus. Since you're running this you can do it however you want.

Serious note about why I made the categories the way I did, which you should ignore:
The idea with these awards is to keep these as unserious as possible by not having awards like Best Player and stuff like that. Basically, we're mostly awarding giving specific players recognition for good mafia play, because mafia can't really be played competitively. The exception to this is the new player one, just because I feel like it's nice to recognize new members. The MelvinTheJerk award isn't necessarily for actual scumhunting, it's for S C U M H U N T E R attitude, which is basically whatever you want it to be. The way the meme worked in 2015 was more about some idiosyncratic self declared notion of scum hunting, not about good play. Moderators and games can be more directly praised because that's a different sort of action than actually playing mafia. Games are recognized as collaborative effort, and the SA mafia community has always placed a lot of value on running games as creative pieces. Also re: scum award, I feel like having a scum team award is better than an individual scum award because it's a collaborative effort.

E: one time Capps robbed me by undercutting me in an improv scene because I was not as familiar with the history of the Straight Edge movement as she was.

Jump King fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Dec 25, 2016

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

SCUMHUNTER was the best moment in all of mafia.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
i KNEW the scumhunter thing was a slight mmm! !

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Another Capps story: One time we reached lylo in a game with me, Capps, and Ecco. I had a suspicion that Ecco may be the last scum but couldn't do anything about it because Capps had dropped off the map, so we couldn't vote ecco anyway.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
New category added: Best Posting Restriction! Keep the nominations coming, voting will go up around the new year!

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
what the hell is going on here

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Kill Capps month was the best, but that wasn't 2016.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

CCKeane posted:

SCUMHUNTER was the best moment in all of mafia.

alasdair lied, townies died would like a word with you. :colbert:

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Did I really only run two games this year (Sentinels of the Multiverse and League III)? I put too much work into my games and flavor. Sheesh.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
  • Game Of The Year - Podima's Shin3. I mean, obviously. The level of participation was truly bonkers. Pod put together a really elegant game and people ran with it. The sheer amount of work and flavor involved in that production is almost criminal. I felt like I would have paid for a ticket to that game.
  • Most Innovative Game - Max's Mr. Robot. A super compelling gimmick that probably overwhelmed some of the social deduction, but we all had fun chasing it and gently caress YOU JIMSON YOU IDIOT HOGASS SHITFUCK. It's a shame that the scum folded in quick succession but sometimes that is how it goes.
  • Best Flavour - Ecco's Nuns of Nolaisko. As much as I give Ecco poo poo, and boy do I love to give Ecco poo poo, they are quite the worldbuilder. I liked the sleepy little murder hamlet quite a bit. The flavor played an integral but not overwhelming part in the actual game, which is always a plus.
  • Weirdest Game - Pokemafia seemed LIT.
  • Biggest Heartbreaker - Asiina's Cat Lady Mafia. a pretty cool setup ASIDE FROM MY ROLE WHICH WAS A SNOOZER that just nobody posted in because ???

Moderators
  • Biggest Bastard - uh well heh uh *tugs collar* um haha no idea uh no names come to mind
  • Most Valiant Attempt to Stop Mafia - I genuinely wanted to stop talking to people after BottleKnight's Diplomacy so that.
  • Best Moderator Intervention - no one! the modkill in shine 3 was the right call but it also made me very angry that it ended the day because i was going to get infinitum dunked

Players
  • Best New Player - loving Bananaman. wish the dude would play more. honorable mention to omgwtfvblol or however you spell it.
  • Best Scum Player - I think this is a stickup gets this just for best individual performances? great under pressure. Honorable mention to grandicap, I can never read him.
  • Best Scumteam - The Cloaks scumteam of King B, Cap Pig, and Quidthulhu won a game that was honestly pretty stacked against them. No one was ever really in 'deep cover' but that didn't matter, they just kept moving and made it through. I might be biased because I watched them from the moderator seat but you can't say they didn't put up a good game.
  • MelvinTheJerk's S C U M H U N T E R Award - TMMadman
  • Most Improved - tobbs, maybe? in the short time that i've been back and playing I've seen him get kicked down over and over just to keep coming back. i think he's a better player than the first game i had with him!
  • Ballsiest Play - bird claiming scum flavor d1 in An Insulting Inquiry was pretty great, especially since he made it so far.
  • Best Shitposter - i took a pill in ibeza
  • Best Posting Restriction - to show avicii i was cool
  • Best Post - my memory is a sieve so i'm breaking the rules BUT I DON'T CARE

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.
there I updated my poo poo, good night

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

PMush Perfect posted:

Best New Player
Best Scum Player
Best Scumteam
Best Scumhunter
Most Improved
Ballsiest Play
Best Shitposter
Best Post

imgay posted:

Since Infinitum had been properly lubed, he was capable of thought. Infinitum tells everyone, "Why Larry and Garry are one of you....Ugghgigugugugughjghghhgugug*a pistol squeezes out of his lubed anus* Any Henderson aligned player can now ##shoot Larry/Garry don't miss.

Best Shitposter

imgay posted:

Best Post

imgay posted:

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Max posted:

Chores - no one else tried, so this is the default.

Wrong.

PMush Perfect posted:

Most Valiant Attempt to Stop Mafia - Allen Wren's mathematical Mafia simulations
Soon, we will all be replaced by computers, but AW managed to do it with spreadsheets.

Closer.

The actual answer.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

This is a great idea. I wish i could participate, but I've not played enough mafia this year.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
I nominate moat for ballsiest play when he impersonated the mod to get infinitum to role/flavor claim

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Game of the Year -- Shine III
Most Innovative Game -- Shine III
Best Flavour -- Shine III
Biggest Heartbreaker -- Byers last CYOR mafia
Biggest Bastard -- Somber
Most Valiant Attempt to Stop Mafia -- Pmom spoiling Taste's game
Best Moderator Intervention -- CPig loving with his players in the CYOA portion of Final Fantasy II
Best New Player -- Stickup
Best Scum Player -- Stickup

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I nominate pmom in tarted game for all awards

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Game of the Year - League III

Most Innovative Game - Poisoned
I really enjoyed this game and Shadow0 deserves some recognition.

Best Flavour - Qal
My favorite Ecco-flavor this year.

Weirdest Game - Inuyasha Mafia
Jimson declared me, a non-player, winner, so that qualifies as the weirdest thing this year to me.

Biggest Heartbreaker - Dead Celebrities 2016
Runner up to Canadians Pt 6. Poor Quidnose. But yeah, what just happened in Taste's game has to take this.

Biggest Bastard - Drawrof Mafia
Fantastic setup by Max.

Most Valiant Attempt to Stop Mafia - Wren's S-talking Game series
These are fun.

Best Moderator Intervention - David Sanborn Must Be Stopped!
Wren said in the OP he would modkill for gary and glowku got what he deserved for not reading the OP IMO.

Best New Player - this is a stickup
Hard for me to keep track of who is new and always but stickup is cool and good.

Best Scum Player - Lord of Hats

Best Scumteam - Are we counting 3p cults as scum? If so, me/Keane/chic in FF1. If not, then the Cloaks team of KB/CPig/Quid

MelvinTheJerk's S C U M H U N T E R Award - KB
KB has been on fire in the games I remember

Most Improved - Didn't really play enough mafia this year I feel like to make a good judgment here

Ballsiest Play - Taste posting a fake role PM

Best Shitposter - Birdstrike
He is the best because I can post Sealab with him always.

Best Posting Restriction- can't really think of one

Best Post- the dongs/chores post Max quoted above
It's no "What are you talking about? I single handedly confirmed hiip as town", but it made me laugh quite a bit.

Moatillata
Dec 13, 2006

Maintain.
Okay wanna change.my nomination for Best attempt to stop mafia to 21 player poo poo talking etc... Because it's making me not wanna post in any other game

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
best - me

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

Capps bullied me into buying her a pizza after tricking me by being a traitor scumbro.

I will join the anti-Capps squad.

i should be rewarded for this

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I'll compile nominations tonight, starting work again has kicked me in the rear end. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
capps owns almost as much as me

• Locked thread