Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
best soup
French Onion
Creamy Potato
Chicken Noodle
Gumbo... the answer is gumbo
View Results

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's a little stiff control wise, in odd ways. Like having to hit two buttons to dodge, but the fixed angle combat works so flawlessly it's kind of impressive, and I love the atmosphere of the castle.

I realize the gaming population was inundated with this style of games for like 6 years in the PS1/2 era but I want more games with fixed camera angles that take place in one large, scary house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Nobody knows yet but it seems like it's gonna be a self contained story it looks like

Something from Nier that was a big big spoiler that I think might figure into this story from what I can tell

You find out near the end that the "shadows" you kill which you thought are demons are the souls of humanity. Every person alive today is basically the left over bodies of humanity without a soul, the Shadow Lord is trying to return humanity to their bodies and you've been working against that the entire game. He kidnaps your daughter because she was his daughter, and puts her soul back into her. Eventually you kill him and doom humanity to get your fake body daughter back

On New Game + you can hear the shadows speak to you and they're begging you to stop killing their children and friends it's pretty brutal

The reason I think it's gonna come back is during the demo the machines start playing random PA messages and someone says "they're just machines nothing they do has any reason to it" and it reminded me a lot of that twist. Also the demo boss slowly starts to talk as you fight it

beepy

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

In Training posted:

It's a little stiff control wise, in odd ways. Like having to hit two buttons to dodge, but the fixed angle combat works so flawlessly it's kind of impressive, and I love the atmosphere of the castle.

I realize the gaming population was inundated with this style of games for like 6 years in the PS1/2 era but I want more games with fixed camera angles that take place in one large, scary house.

It was going to be RE4 originally

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Well then RE4 is two of the best games ever made

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I lost all my yellow orbs to the lion. Thats a pretty unforgiving system for how much damage the attacks in this game do!

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
why hasn't some indie guys made a throwback fixed-angle survival horror game yet. lots of people would buy it i think

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm fairly certain that genre is mildly popular in the Japanese indie scene but that stuff never gets translated. I've only seen YouTube videos

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

It's been about 12 years since I played DMc1 and I just recently found out it was going to be RE2. Watching video of it now and it's crazy just how similar it is

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Unexpected Raw Anime posted:

It's been about 12 years since I played DMc1 and I just recently found out it was going to be RE2. Watching video of it now and it's crazy just how similar it is

The door transitions and the inspection text are a cool contrast to air juggling demonic freaks and then unloading on them with twin Barrettas

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

rediscover posted:

why hasn't some indie guys made a throwback fixed-angle survival horror game yet. lots of people would buy it i think

It's out there just not translated like IT said. There's like a Taiwanese(?) based version of Fatal Frame that I've always wanted to try but I'm positive it's probably garbage

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

dmc 1 is weird cuz you got the static camera angles like its still an re game

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

In Training posted:

The door transitions and the inspection text are a cool contrast to air juggling demonic freaks and then unloading on them with twin Barrettas

Ebony & ivory are colt 1911s... 🙄

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

In Training posted:

To get myself hype for Nier I'm finally getting around to playing the dmc games and in the first 30 seconds where Dante shoots a bullet through the Graphic Violence warning and a narrator shows up with "Two Millenia Ago..." and then trinity from the matrix shows up...I've been missing this game my whole life

Skip straight from DMC 1 to DMC 3. DMC3 as a 17 year old was like, the one thing I most identified with in life. The opening cutscene is dante eating pizza while he kills demons. At one point Dante jumps off a building, fights a bunch of monsters, throws his sword, then shoots it so it goes faster, then runs after it and grabs it and starts flying

A lot of the style Platinum games are known for owes itself directly to DMC3

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

OK SO

The team that made the DMC games largely went on to become the internal Capcom developer Clover

Clover made Okami, God Hand, Viewtiful Joe, which are all still some of the most stylish games around and were all really underappreciated for how good they were. Capcom was more concerned around that time with releasing the like 47th megaman game

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mega_Man

Look at how much of a loving mess the spinoffs get around 2003-2005. Even Viewtiful Joe which was like their novel new IP got 3 sequels in 2 years

SO Capcom goes haha, stop making good games and dissolves Clover. Most of those team went on to make Platinum Games around this time

So at this point Platinum Games is largely a team of people who got big with Devil May Cry + The Resident Evil creator (because it was an RE game remember) and then Sega paid them to make games for them

So Bayonetta was a result of that and that's really the closest proper thing there is to a sequel to Devil May Cry 3. Now they kind of farmed out their fighting engine to a lot of IP holders who don't want to come up with the effort of making their own game and just want "Action game but X brand", and they're kind of the guys that just make poo poo for whoever can't develop games anymore as the only remaining competent Japanese developer. I think they got a lot of work specifically because they took MG Rising, a totally cancelled game, and managed to make a really good game within tight timelines under someone else's supervision. That;s why Transformers is literally the control scheme of MG Rising with robots

Personally I think they took on too much because their quality took a major nosedive after Bayo 2 probably because they were just taking whatever they could get to stay afloat, and now Scalebound is cancelled too. BUt Nier is probably gonna be great

A weird thing is that even though Kamiya directed DMC1 and Bayo 1, he just supervised on the sequels. The director of DMC 3 did Dragon's Dogma which I should really play sometime

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

yeah seriously don't play dmc2

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

yeah seriously don't play dmc2

wats wrong with it?

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Personally I think they took on too much because their quality took a major nosedive after Bayo 2

With the exception of Transformers Devastation, which I thought was great, yeah.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

rediscover posted:

wats wrong with it?

it's basically an unrelated game that got reskinned as a DMC halfway through development. the combat's way shallower and there's far less weapon variety, the tone of the world/characters is different and not interesting, etc. its a typical mediocre PS2 action game

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

it's basically an unrelated game that got reskinned as a DMC halfway through development. the combat's way shallower and there's far less weapon variety, the tone of the world/characters is different and not interesting, etc. its a typical mediocre PS2 action game

Ya from a combat point of view if I remember correctly Dante has multiple swords with the exact same moveset but different stats which is like, come on, and the guns are the strongest thing in the game which makes the bosses boil down to stand on the other side of the screen and hold down square

The whole thing controls like poo poo, it was enough of a mess that the team working on it changed halfway through and they put it out anyway

I never played as the girl though and I heard she controlled much better, I just finished the game with Dante

Unfunny Poster posted:

With the exception of Transformers Devastation, which I thought was great, yeah.

I need to give that more of a chance but from what I played it just felt like a worse MG: Rising, and then I started playing the Steam version of MG Rising because I never finished the DLC . I also started playing Bayo 2 again recently and that game is so unbelievably good, sucks that the switch isn't gonna have Wii U compatibility

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I need to give that more of a chance but from what I played it just felt like a worse MG: Rising, and then I started playing the Steam version of MG Rising because I never finished the DLC . I also started playing Bayo 2 again recently and that game is so unbelievably good, sucks that the switch isn't gonna have Wii U compatibility

It was definitely a "poor man's MGR" but it was still a good time for a Transformers game.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

How about we just let him experience the freaking games...

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
DMC3 is so freaking good. Royal Guard style makes you feel like a god

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Don't skip 2 dude it's really not a bad game

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Skip straight to DmC:Devil May Cry by action masters Ninja Theory :twisted:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

mysterious loyall X posted:

This was the first one I played a few years ago bc it was a ps plus game

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

mysterious loyall X posted:

Dante has sex

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

The whole thing: http://www.famitsu.com/images/000/031/133/51556bb2676f3.html

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lol

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
I'm experiencing epic levels of fremdschämen over here and may need to leave work early to recover.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Lmao I forgot about this.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
take that, ya japanese queermos! our dante makes the blue steel face and wears a parka and, I dunno, is maybe on chemo?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

D'um'C is garbage and the Vergil DLC is the worst thing in the history of DMC.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Evil Eagle posted:

D'um'C is garbage and the Vergil DLC is the worst thing in the history of DMC.

dante has sex

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Not in a million years.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Evil Eagle posted:

Not in a million years.

Not all games are made for all people... may I suggest a game where the protagonist definitely doesn't have sex, op, like Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater?

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Errr

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Yaiba's a worse reboot of a better franchise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysterious loyall X