Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
best soup
French Onion
Creamy Potato
Chicken Noodle
Gumbo... the answer is gumbo
View Results

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

You die in like two hits to random enemies on Hard. Is the auto healing thing disabled on difficulties above normal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

it was only like that for the demo. It'll only heal you if you drop below 30% and stay there for like half a second in the full game.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lol was exploring some caves and got one shot unexpectedly by an enemy nearly twice my level. Mark of a Grade A RPG

Hizke
Feb 14, 2010

lmfao I healed that dude in my game like five times

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I just got through the fight withbthe naked dude who gave birth to a twin after the fight and this game is blowing me away. It's Nier's story atmosphere and art design with extremely tight platinum gameplay and all the seamless shmup/twinstick sections...I imagine the story will be as fascinating as the first game, so this will be an instant classic for sure

Hizke
Feb 14, 2010

In Training posted:

I just got through the fight withbthe naked dude who gave birth to a twin after the fight and this game is blowing me away. It's Nier's story atmosphere and art design with extremely tight platinum gameplay and all the seamless shmup/twinstick sections...I imagine the story will be as fascinating as the first game, so this will be an instant classic for sure

its insanely good

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

I shouldn't have bought this yet because now I'm paralyzed with indecision of whether I should spend time playing this or Zelda.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Kongming posted:

I shouldn't have bought this yet because now I'm paralyzed with indecision of whether I should spend time playing this or Zelda.

I skipped Zelda for precisely this reason. This game was gonna be my priority, I've been waiting for it since the announcement

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Hizke posted:

its insanely good

Im still kinda fuzzy on what exactly the death penalty is but I've been saving as often as possible bc death is so swift. Also when I retrieve bodies in the field it seems like I'm picking up chips but they may just be temporary bonuses applied based what the dead person's chip set was?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

when you die you drop every chip you have equipped except the system ones, and if you die again without picking them up they're gone for good, which can be pretty severe if you have a lot of rare ones fused and you might just want to load your last save.

the chips you get from other peoples bodies are just temporary buffs, i did it more for the heal you get from it

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

In Training posted:

The musical build up to that is so loving good I couldn't believe it. And guess what, it only gets better

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

lets hang out posted:

when you die you drop every chip you have equipped except the system ones, and if you die again without picking them up they're gone for good, which can be pretty severe if you have a lot of rare ones fused and you might just want to load your last save.

the chips you get from other peoples bodies are just temporary buffs, i did it more for the heal you get from it

Ok the die again part was what I was wondering about. Bc the tutorial text just said "if you play for a while without recovering" which I thought meant it was time based

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

This second boss is loving amazing but I keep getting owned by the final form

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it was during that fight that I realized my brightness was way too high

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

The lil' tutorial that has you turn up the brightness to see the settings screen and turn up voice volume to hear 9s tutorializing you was really cool and clever

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

In Training posted:

You die in like two hits to random enemies on Hard. Is the auto healing thing disabled on difficulties above normal

Playing on normal here. It did the auto heal during the part from the demo, but I died afterward without auto heal kicking off. I think you lose the OS chip for that after the first part, or it got unequiped for me somehow idk

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Ludwig van Halen posted:

The lil' tutorial that has you turn up the brightness to see the settings screen and turn up voice volume to hear 9s tutorializing you was really cool and clever

All the ways the mechanics,UI and narrative are intertwined are getting me giddy knowing that there's probably gonna be hella curveballs mixed in during boss fights and story climaxes

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I freaked out when it happened even a teensy bit in that second boss fight

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Also hard feels perfect for this because I have to be pretty aware on the world map but I can handle a mistake and heal but boss fights are pretty much wall to wall OHKO attacks which is badass and makes you feel like a god when you win

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I just got to the first boss in the second playthrough of Nier 1 and this poo poo is wild.

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Salivating reading thread and wishing i could game

polish sausage
Oct 26, 2010
seeing you guys running around getting mind blown in route A is warming my heart. I know multiple people have already said this gets better but this gets so much better. Also its funny seeing you enjoy hard mode after reading about the career hard core platinum games players bitching about how too hard hard is and how normal is too easy in the other thread.

Hizke
Feb 14, 2010
lol the diagnostic at the beginning of route A and the payoff later is so good.. cuz I almost forgot about it

polish sausage
Oct 26, 2010

Hizke posted:

lol the diagnostic at the beginning of route A and the payoff later is so good.. cuz I almost forgot about it

One of the best moments in a game full of best moments.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

https://twitter.com/yokotaro/status/839360165744762880

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
i want this game so loving bad you ahve no idea

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

polish sausage posted:

seeing you guys running around getting mind blown in route A is warming my heart. I know multiple people have already said this gets better but this gets so much better. Also its funny seeing you enjoy hard mode after reading about the career hard core platinum games players bitching about how too hard hard is and how normal is too easy in the other thread.

It's different than other platinum games because I'm not going for score. Like the damage is the equivalent to some of the highest difficulty bayonetta encounters but the penalty for dying is different. Here, it's running back to my corpse or just fighting the boss again. In bayonetta it's a chapter reset which could potentially be 15+ minutes of work which is crushing.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

This game is amazing, are all platinum games like this? My first one

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Sleng Teng posted:

This game is amazing, are all platinum games like this? My first one

They're different, more arcadey and focused on just the combat. Much shorter usually too, games like Bayonetta 1/2 and MGR can be beaten in like <6 hours. They are structured around perfecting stages for high score/time. THis game took a decade+ of refined beat em up combat and plunked it into yoko taro's idea of genre blended RPG insanity and its a match made in heaven. But if you like the basic gameplay youll probably love the aforementioned games

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I bought nier automata last night but I have the discipline of a tibetan monk cause I just played NieR so I can go into automata fully prepared and ready...

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

In Training posted:

They're different, more arcadey and focused on just the combat. Much shorter usually too, games like Bayonetta 1/2 and MGR can be beaten in like <6 hours. They are structured around perfecting stages for high score/time. THis game took a decade+ of refined beat em up combat and plunked it into yoko taro's idea of genre blended RPG insanity and its a match made in heaven. But if you like the basic gameplay youll probably love the aforementioned games

Looks like I have some work to do. Blessed be to Game

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

you should absolutely play Revengeance at least. It's about three hours long but if you like it you'll play it 2,970 times

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm constantly torn between seeing where the story goes and doing all the side content bc I know from playing Nier that I'll probably need to 100% everything to see all the epic endings and routes

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

OK I just got the first two endings of Nier 1. I'm debating whether or not I should go for the third and fourth or just watch them on YouTube.

I really just want to play Automata but I feel guilty playing games without learning the lore first.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Sleng Teng posted:

Looks like I have some work to do. Blessed be to Game

Blessed be to Game to you.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

fadam posted:

OK I just got the first two endings of Nier 1. I'm debating whether or not I should go for the third and fourth or just watch them on YouTube.

I really just want to play Automata but I feel guilty playing games without learning the lore first.

Just watch those ones, Ending 2 is a fairly large departure from the game and kinda nails everything. 3 and 4 are just different final cutscenes, it's not worth trudging through the process of actually collecting all the crap you need when you can just watch the endings on YouTube

fiber
Nov 18, 2012
counterpoint the gimmick with the true ending is more poignant if it's actually your game

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

In Training posted:

Just watch those ones, Ending 2 is a fairly large departure from the game and kinda nails everything. 3 and 4 are just different final cutscenes, it's not worth trudging through the process of actually collecting all the crap you need when you can just watch the endings on YouTube

This.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

fiber posted:

counterpoint the gimmick with the true ending is more poignant if it's actually your game

Undeniably true but playing the game isn't actually fun enough to get there. Would be quite brutal if you slogged through something you didn't actually want to do to get that though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh my god

• Locked thread