Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Colonel posted:

yeah but the manga is good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

anyway uhhhhhh grimgar was the worst show i actually watched any of so i guess that

the first two eps were sort of interesting but the mage dude's death scene was handled so hamhandedly that i didnt want to keep watching. it's like, the only show i dropped this year.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

I nearly forgot Grimgar came out this year. It felt like it was trying to be serious but every character was intolerably stupid and the world worked just like a video game. It was like someone tried to replicate the bog standard isekai story and make it more 'real', but it ended up just as bad as most otherworld stories.

Konosuba was about a team of morons in a heavily gamified world and Re:Zero was a more serious otherworld story and both of them really highlight how lousy Grimgar was.

Cowwan
Feb 23, 2011
I don't have any good nominations, I tend to give up on stuff I don't like by episode 3.

I mean I could put Flip Flappers or Euphonium S2 here, but those weren't anything near "the worst anime of 2016" I just wasn't in the mood for either of them.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

The Colonel posted:

yeah but the manga is good

im mad it didnt go maximum wish fulfillment and have the three moms happily living together at the end.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Tiger Mask W was a big disappointment, it started out great but it got weird and boring really fast after that. The op and Ed hinted at a show with at the very least characters with personality that are distinguishable beyond their different designs but we didn't get that even.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i can't believe gorf nominated a 2017 show

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
1. Dangan Ronpa 3: Despair Side - After thinking things over, I think I actually hate Despair Side more than Future Side for how it blatantly contradicts events that were explained in DR2, and for muddling up the backstory to the Dangan Ronpa games with such stupid cop-out bullshit. Nice to see the main cast of DR2 and the main antagonists of the series again but that's about it
2. Dangan Ronpa 3: Future Side - Manages to be even dumber than Despair Side, especially with confusing character motivations, numerous plot holes, dumbass invincibility for the DR1 cast, and just going all the way up its own rear end with the hope vs. despair theming, but it's somewhat forgiven by having a cool finale
3. Shuumatsu no Izetta - I was really intrigued by the concept, but I ended up dropping it after five episodes. There's nothing really bad about it, but the writing feels kinda lifeless and dry, which is a real shame

Most Avoided: Myriad Colors Phantom World - It looked like a thing made by a guy who had no idea how to make a story other than just cramming in whatever he thought was cool, but that's just my take on it

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

dogsicle posted:

i can't believe gorf nominated a 2017 show

I'm going to nominate Nanbaka as well and you can't stop me

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I nominated Tiger Mask because nobody will remember it this time next year.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

i will, because I'm going to finish it

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

dogsicle posted:

i will, because I'm going to finish it

I'm bookmarking this post so I can own you in exactly one year.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

GorfZaplen posted:

i will never forget it

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'll say that I liked JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable overall, but what were interesting developments was so often interrupted by repetitive exposition. I can't really voice any specific complaints about the pacing in general when stuff like that made individual scenes feel so stilted and choppy. The plot moving forward often seemed to hinge on the cast acting like idiots, especially in the latter half of the show. I can't remember either being so blatant in the adaptations of previous parts.

There were several other shows I finished that I thought were worse, but I never felt as frustrated watching any of them. I didn't expect much out of them, so I can't say they were disappointing really.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Nanbaka: It started out as a decent frantic comedy and then it became serious for some reason. At first I thought the over the top dramatic shift was part of the joke but it wasn't. By the time the shift occurred a lot of the jokes were getting stale anyway so I'm not sure it would be good if it hadn't gone off the rails anyway.

Izetta: A great first episode but with each episode more characters were introduced and lots of stuff happened so I lost confidence it'd flesh out the leads. I probably had too high of standards for it honestly

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Smoking Crow posted:

i will never forget it

I have to admit that I think about Kevin and Mike from time to time.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

handa-kun. with the worst opening episode known to man, an unwatchable show was created

gate season 2: actually starting with rape as your first scene makes for a pretty bad opening episode too, not sure why i even tried s2 before s1??

Alderamin on the Sky: whew drat ugly rear end artstyle and a very talky first ep that managed to accomplish nothing but make me dislike its cast

Bakuon!!: holy moly this really hosed up the apparently good manga

Joker Game: finally, a show that eschews every notion of not expecting the audience to be simpering idiots with flashbacks to scenes that happened 5 minutes ago and a structure that completely wastes its potential starring a cast of spies that are impossible to get invested in

Mahou Shoujo? Naria Girls u hosed it up, a winning formula ruined

Myriad Colors Phantom World finally, kyoani tackling a new subject, giant boobs and bland antics ive seen a thousand times before, just when i was missing beyond the boundary

Re:Zero, the special aids reward goes to my friend that just got stabbed here, looking forward to seeing you get stabbed again next year

Under the Dog: from the guys that raised almost a million dollars on kickstarter, comes a really bad 30 minute ova that does it best to make everyone that backed it feel like they wasted their money, glad i just pirated it instead

https://www.working ah the auto url, well i didnt enjoy it

Delicious sandwich
Nov 6, 2011
I feel bad for having three titles that I feel worthy of posting here. I should really drop series earlier.

3. High School Fleet: I think this would maybe have been all right if it were about half as long. The battles around the beginning and end of the series are fun, but the non-battle stuff that fills up the middle was pretty bad. But even the battles are like a low quality, naval version of Girls und Panzer.

2. Bakuon!!: Amusing from time to time but ultimately not very good.

1. Dimension W: The first episode with Loser was really enjoyable, which I think is the main reason I watched the entire thing even though it got bad later. While trying to remember what happened in the last arc, I found this, which has a nice list of things that sucked about Dimension W if you're curious for some reason.

Most avoided: Big Order. I don't think I heard a single positive thing about this, and it's from the author of Mirai Nikki, which I didn't like at all.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
I came here to make my post about the only two shows I felt disappointed by but it looks like someone else already made it for me?

GorfZaplen posted:

Nanbaka: It started out as a decent frantic comedy and then it became serious for some reason. At first I thought the over the top dramatic shift was part of the joke but it wasn't. By the time the shift occurred a lot of the jokes were getting stale anyway so I'm not sure it would be good if it hadn't gone off the rails anyway.

Izetta: A great first episode but with each episode more characters were introduced and lots of stuff happened so I lost confidence it'd flesh out the leads. I probably had too high of standards for it honestly

I dropped Nanbaka right when it got serious but I watched Izetta to the end.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Bakuon: Charmless K-on ripoff but with more creepiness.

Kumamiko: Lays out a premise early on that it never delivers on, and instead just feels like it's spinning its wheels. And apparently I even dropped it before people say it got outright bad.

WWW/Wagnaria: I'm not even sure why I didn't like this, because it's not that different from Working which I was perfectly fine with. But I don't know, it just feels rote. I've played Persona 3 and Persona 4, I have enough "girl who can't cook" in my Japanese media to last for the rest of my life. And that rich girl and her pet idiot were just completely insufferable whenever they were on screen.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Cowwan posted:

I don't have any good nominations, I tend to give up on stuff I don't like by episode 3.

I have this same problem tbh, so this list is more like, biggest dissapointments, I suppose, Except for the first choice.

Kaiju Girls As soon as I watched the first episode, I knew I hated it and had to watch eps 2 and 3 to include it on the list. It's a one note-gag, which could be played for laughs if they used their powers in interesting, or funnily mundane ways. Instead, it's a case of "You get the reference? References are funny!!!" Not to mention incredibly cheep flash animation and effects, it looked just as bad, if not worse, than many ps1 games. Overall, there was nothing redeeming about this show.

Dimension W honestly bored me, and I just put it down after 3 eps. Hearing it went bad didn't inspire me to pick it back up either.

Space Patrol Luluco I partially set myself up for this because of the trigger hype this got, not just on SA but elsewhere online. Didn't end up watching it until last month. Besides the last episode, each episode only really had one gag I liked each, and it was just a case where it felt more like I was forcing myself to watch it as a chore, because I though for sure it gets better next episode...but it really doesn't.

Dishonorable Mentions go to Pan De Peace and Kumamiko, which would beat out DW and SPL if I could have been bothered to watch more than 1 ep of each. Also dishonorable mentions to Bakuon!!, which I only watched 2 eps and never got vack into after hearing the way it turned out, and Dagashi Kashi, which fails on the comedy aspect, but I still enjoyed what parts I did watch as a chill, fact learning experience.

Most Avoided would have to go to Fate/kaleid liner Prisma Ilya 3rei!!, not that I watched the previous two seasons, but who wants a Fate spinoff that stars petite girls and has tons of weirdly sexual fanservice?

Argona
Feb 16, 2009

I don't want to go on living the boring life of a celestial forever.

Like most of the people here, Kumomiko: why so mean???

Besides that, meh

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

If Tiger Mask doesn't count then my third nomination is Thunderbolt Fantasy, it started out pretty fun but the writing was kind of a slog and that episode where the main character has the same conversation four times with different people turned me off completely. All the characters had pretty drab designs too which was a disappointment, I was hoping for more variety than lots of purple and black

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Half the cast also emoted the same way with their voices which is tiring as well

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

Classicaloid seemed like it was going to be at least a little fun and I love classical music but hoo boy did I not enjoy it, none of the jokes landed for me and the musical remixes were supposed to be a draw but they all just felt uninspired so I dropped it after the fourth ep.

Dimension W was great for the first three episodes and quickly turned to garbage, but at least it had one good thing going for it in that it got licensed to be put on Toonami while it still looked cool and idk I just think that it probably would not have been put on there if the series finished before they tried to license it. It had a good OP tho.

Can't really think of a third series I was burned by this year

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

My Most Avoided show was Gundam Iron Blooded Orphans, the first few episodes were filled with exposition that I couldn't give a poo poo about and a lot of the buzz around the show was how hardcore and realistic it was compared to other Mecha which turns me off even more.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

another gently caress up in my list: Nanbaka got a second cour in November and will continue into 2017

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
I tend to drop things before three episodes but of the ones I stuck with for at least that long:

3 - Izetta: I liked the aesthetic and feel of the first episode but I didn't like either of the main characters or where it was heading.

2 - Dimension W: bad CGI science ghosts from another dimension killed whatever mood they were trying to set, and the arc was just dumb. The technology was effectively magic and they could do anything they wanted with no rules.

1 - Haifuri: a really crappy GuP clone with an absolutely abysmal plot, mostly annoying characters, and very little action. It felt like the show was just checking boxes, like including the swimsuit episode and inserting a festival episode on really shaky ground (why are they even near the equator? Weren't they travelling North?).

The setting tried to play it both ways, both telling us that the stakes are high and people could die, but having the characters treat it as a safe game. GuP is no bastion of realism but it is consistent in how it both claims and acts like it's a safe sport. In haifuri the girls come off as suicidal but lucky, and when they're hit by a live shell the writers step in with magic.

Then the main character is the worst part, she's an incompetent version of Miho and she never develops. She goes through the same arc a good three times and always ends up back where she started. She fails as a captain repeatedly and only pulls through because of plot armour and the power of friendship.

I really hate haifuri because it seemed like a good show for long enough that I was tricked. The ships themselves barely showed up every other episode.

Most avoided - Occultic;Nine. The first episode turned me off hard enough and the few people I know who stuck with it only give it faint praise.

Desuwa fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Dec 26, 2016

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Please make an exception to the 3 episode rule for Bloodivores. I watched the entirety of episode 1 of it, and it was so painful I would never be able to watch two more just to put it on this list.
I suppose it can count as most avoided.

Otherwise I guess my baddest anime votes go to:
Kumamiko for just being painful instead of heartwarming.
Dimension W for having a neat concept and cool characters, and taking it all in the worst possible direction.
Mahou Shoujo? Naria Girls for having an innovative idea and interesting tech, and then backing it with bland, unfunny actors and uninspired writing.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I only watched one episode of Berserk but I'm gonna vote for that anyway because lol.
Other than that I didn't watch any really bad anime this year.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

All of mine are from the beginning of the year because that's how I burned out on anime for the summer.

3. Cheer Boys might have had the weirdest problem with not being gay enough. We'd been watching Fudanshi Koukou Seikatsu and Orenchi no Furo Jijou between full shows so I stared this mostly as a joke. Plex says we dropped it at episode 4.

2. Bakuon. I've never seen so many forcedmeme characters in one show. We get it, it's The Stig in a fuku. I ride, this somehow didn't hold my interest. ATGATT BITCHES.

1. Berserk had many faults, but the one thing that really blew it out of the water was the terrible CG direction. The #1 most common issue was a fixed FoV making everything too tight and square, especially when comparing to manga panels that, with a little fisheye, they could have nailed. An honest "Do you even know what the gently caress you're doing?" to the director and animators.

Avoided: Sailor Moon Crystal. I can't be convinced this has gotten any better.

False advertising award: Yuri On Ice.

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Dec 26, 2016

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ranzear posted:

1. Berserk had many faults, but the one thing that really blew it out of the water was the terrible CG direction. The #1 most common issue was a fixed FoV making everything too tight and square, especially when comparing to manga panels that, with a little fisheye, they could have nailed. An honest "Do you even know what the gently caress you're doing?" to the director and animators.

The director's actually really good, but he'd never worked in 3D before.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

1) Kumamiko - Awkward all around, terrible adaptation.
2) Bakuon - same
3) Izetta - I listened to people who said to stop watching after episode 3, so my impression is still favorable, and after it ended checked back to see if people at least thought it ended good and nope.

Dishonorable Mentions: Cheer Boys, Magical Girl Raising Project, Time Travel Girl

Avoided: Keijo!!!!!!!! - Tried one episode after hearing good reviews about the manga. I see what they were going for, but it just wasn't quite good enough to make up for such a ridiculous amount of ridiculous. I couldn't buy into the "they are self aware and playing it seriously LUL" angle. Still unsure if anyone actually enjoyed the anime adaptation or everyone is tripping over themselves to be the edgiest jokester.

AnacondaHL fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Dec 26, 2016

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Endorph posted:

The director's actually really good, but he'd never worked in 3D before.

I kept hearing this and wasn't convinced. A good director can always at least explain what he wants, like a wider shot, or give the artists a reference or something. It's more like he didn't want to do the 3D and handed it off to somebody else entirely. Really, it got worse after the first episode; the funky-looking skeletons and off-model bullshit kinda fit the 'wtf is going on' tone. It was the totally normal poo poo that they couldn't get right.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
looking at everything else the director's done, he really is actually a pretty solid animator/director outside of berserk so i have no idea what happened there

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

he's a talented director of fast, 2d, experimental comedies. his strengths are in quick cuts for comedic effect and frantic, exaggerated motion. those are definitely things berserk 2016 tries to do, it just fails because they don't know how to accomplish those things in 3d. check out the monogatari op he animated himself or any given ten seconds of teekyu for him playing to his strengths.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9wiuoRCcwE

he's done 2d action shows, like black cat and devil may cry, but they were similarly kind of dull and shot weirdly. It also seems like he's a very hands-on, 'i'll animate this shot myself' kind of director. (he animates Teekyu all by himself, and whenever he's brought in to pinch-hit he seems to do a lot of the work all by himself, like on Gurren Lagann or with that Monogatari opening), which naturally you can't do at all in 3D. I think he's just a guy who's good at comedy and not that great at dark action, and combine that with being unfamiliar with 3d and 3d limiting a lot of the things he likes to do, it's not hard to see why berserk 2016 didn't go down that smooth. He's not a hack or lazy, he just wasn't in a position to work to his strengths.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Dec 26, 2016

Cowwan
Feb 23, 2011

Desuwa posted:

1 - Haifuri: a really crappy GuP clone with an absolutely abysmal plot, mostly annoying characters, and very little action.

I forgot this show was this year.

I guess my only vote is for Haifuri. It wasn't a good show.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

1. Izetta: The Last Witch. Completely bland and predictable from start to finish. I kept watching it until the end in the hope that it would at least become an entertaining trainwreck, but nope, just more of the same one-dimensional characters going through the same trite plot beats.
2. WWW.Working!! I feel like Karino Takatsu wrote this before she learned how to write likable characters, or plots that don't all revolve around elaborate misunderstandings, or recurring jokes that don't get stale after the second time, or any of the other things that made the other Working!! good.
3. Dagashi Kashi! The constant candy references got old really fast, and just weren't that funny. The SOL parts were kind of nice, but the show just couldn't go five minutes before shoehorning in yet another candy commercial. Maybe it's more entertaining if you actually grew up on the snacks they're talking about?

Also, I didn't dislike it enough to put it in the top three, but I never managed to finish Amanchu. I like slow-paced shows with thinly-veiled yuri elements as much as the next guy, but this just didn't go anywhere. It felt like Teko went through the exact same character arc of "I'm super shy and have low self-esteem, but being with Pikari is fun and exciting, so maybe I'll try to be more outgoing and positive from now on" in every single episode, and the show seemed in no hurry to move on from there. Also, that loving cat.

For "Most Ignore Anime", I was tempted to say Yuri!!! on Ice, but I already know that I will end up watching that before long. So instead, I'm going to say Kumamiko. I watched the first episode, kind of liked it, posted about it in the chat thread, was told that I was making a huge mistake, and immediately removed it from my queue. Thanks, chat thread.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Kumamiko managed to start out great, only to slowly descend into being awful and creepy. gently caress you for ruining something that could have been in the other thread, and gently caress you for wasting a really good OP/ED.

Joker Game had two or three good episodes before more or less abandoning it's premise and any of it's interesting characters to become...you know what, I'm not even sure what they were going for. I sure as hell don't care enough to finish it to find out if they knew either.

Dimension W started pretty good, but the writing and characters slowly fell apart until it became a boring mess I couldn't bother with anymore.

Most Avoided: Berserk. God that hurt my eyes to watch. At the very least it got me to read the manga I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Worst Anime
In chronological order:

1. Dimension W: looked gorgeous and had characters that seemed to have the potential to grow into really endearing ones, but then it basically went nowhere plot-wise and had a couple of lovely scenes. I'd say it feels like one of those shows where they wrote 26 episodes and then cut out episodes 10-22 to make it fit into one cours, except that basically no character development happened at all.

2. Joker Game: I was expecting a tense espionage thriller set in and around an Imperial Japanese spy school, but instead got a series of barely-coherent vignettes with utterly interchangeable characters.

3. Izetta: the premise and first few episodes made it look like it'd be a cute show about a cool princess and her witch best friend fighting Nazis, but then it went nonsensical, the animation quality visibly worsened, and the political/military/historical bits ended up so badly written they were boring, so I dropped it five episodes in.

Most Avoided:
Vivid Strikers: I wanted more Fate and Nanoha being Vivio's mamas (or at least the second half of the tournament arc from Vivid), but instead got a show with a first episode so creepy and boring that I instantly dropped it. I'm glad I did, considering the later gifs of elementary schoolers getting graphically murdered.

Dishonourable Mentions:
Concrete Revolutio: a fantastic first half that seemed to be building towards some real payoff didn't, actually, pay off. It was still a good show, but all of the energy and direction I felt it had in the first season just dissipated into nothing when the actual end came along. :(

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Dec 30, 2016

• Locked thread