Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW
I didn't watch many shows this year, so I can only come up with 2. I will note I never watched Berserk since I only heard bad things about it, and dropped Ace Attorney halfway through the first episode because I was bored.

2. Re:Zero. I really disliked the main character. His name was dumb, and while I saw a lot of posts here talking about how he's developing, I thought most of his decisions were really stupid. I made it through the loli ogre arc and just couldn't take it anymore.

1. Bloodivores. I actually watched the full season of this for some reason. It might be the worst show I've ever seen. I'm not entirely convinced this was written by anyone, it seems like 7-8 different animes put together. Half the characters are most likely from yaoi mangas, there were a ton of different plot lines (vampires, corrupt society, battle to the death game, time travel (???), some detectives possibly doing something, main character being a "child of light" because he's half human half bloodivore), there's some annoying girl who keeps saying "Yaya" over and over again, and most of the actions simply don't make any sense based on it's own rules. For example, this guy gets stabbed by a sword, then just talks about being in an orphanage for a while. His bloodivore power (which is actually another thing called hemomancy or something like that) isn't being invulnerable as far as I know.

Oh yeah, and the last episode is a cliff hanger.

Harry fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jan 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Dimension W almost didn't seem like areal show to me because it just zipped through its plot so fast that it left me reeling. It's a shame, because the idea of multiple dimensions and the sheer fuckery that can happen with it seems really cool, but as has been said before, it felt like a 20+ season concept crunched into under half of that, and the result was incomprehensible, almost like Blue Exorcist's ending in that respect. I hope this gets redone at some point, I think it would be really cool if actually not given a rush job.

Gundam IBO starts off interesting, has a cool sociopathic protagonist, and then the absolute worst loving female main character whose plot just completely sucked any possible fun out of the show. It was a third of good show with the merc crew and then two-thirds poo poo, including an incredible lack of good pacing that really failed to engage. Really turned turgid and boring near the end.

Anyway, yeah that was all poo poo from Toonami, but that's the only time I'd watch something that I didn't hear extremely good things about like MHA or Mob Psycho 100, so....

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Worst Anime 2016 (aka most disappointing)

Berserk - The best arc and this is what they managed? Uuuuuuuuuuuugh.
Twin Star Exorcists - I actually enjoy the manga, but the anime adaptation threw away all the interesting bits and... bleh.

Most Avoided Anime 2016

Asterisk Wars - No thanks.

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud
Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash read as a pretty generic concept to me at first glance, but I gave it a shot because the first episode seemed promising and the watercolor backgrounds were gorgeous. It squandered its first episode potential, though, and turned into the by-the-numbers fantasy show I half-expected it to be at first. Even its beautiful background work stopped really being a boon, because the contrast between the background quality and the rapidly deteriorating character animation ends up highlighting how much the animation has fallen apart. Though it wasn't terrible, and while I did actually finish it, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, really.

Mahou Shojo? Naria Girls I had high hopes for this as a fan of Tesagure, but this just felt like a cheap imitator. Which, given that this is helmed by the same director, is not great. The improv is unfunny and feels forced by the skits having specific themes in contrast to Tesagure having much broader subjects for them to goof around with. Also, the motion tracking animation system looks terrible and leads to a bunch of weird clipping.

Garo: Guren no Tsuki Holy loving poo poo, this was so bad. I had a sinking feeling that this would be bad from the start when the writers were announced as noted hacks Sho Aikawa and Toshiki "loving" Inoue, but the first season was one of my favorite shows of 2015 and the other staff remained the same so I felt honor-bound to give it a fair shot. To be honest, I can't tell you exactly how many episodes of this I watched - I think four? But they were all so terrible and forgettable that they bled together. The writing is really what shone -- for lack of a better term -- here. It's a show that couldn't decide if it wanted to do a grimdark take on a period drama, or try to be lighthearted so it attempted both and failed. The serious moments evoke zero emotion and the jokes fall completely flat, so poorly written they wouldn't pass muster in a terrible show for kids.

Most avoided for me would probably be Magical Girl Raising Project. Sounded like it was supposed to be 'magical girls but dark' which doesn't appeal to me at all.

Special dishonorable mention for Macross Zero Simply put, I liked it too much to include it as a worst-of-2016 entry but had to mention it anyway. Loved the music, loved the first cour so much that at the end of episode 13 I was absolutely convinced that it'd easily make my top 5 of the year. And then... it didn't. The second half of the show is a parade of missed opportunities and spinning wheels, the story basically stopped. This would've been my choice for Most Disappointing, for sure.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Voting ends in two days! Results and raw data will be posted. I had to interpret some of your votes, such as figuring out what you actually watched, and what to do with series mentioned that weren't on the list.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

AnacondaHL posted:

what to do with series mentioned that weren't on the list.

toss them out, with great prejudice

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

also i guess this means i should just end voting for best anime this weekend too.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

dogsicle posted:

also i guess this means i should just end voting for best anime this weekend too.

yea

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

dogsicle posted:

toss them out, with great prejudice

On a few occasions the vote was "valid" but not found because of differences between your list and Namtab's list :/

Also, I can post the same raw data + final scores of the Best AotY thread too if you'd like, I was just keeping it personally out of curiosity.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

AnacondaHL posted:

On a few occasions the vote was "valid" but not found because of differences between your list and Namtab's list :/

Also, I can post the same raw data + final scores of the Best AotY thread too if you'd like, I was just keeping it personally out of curiosity.

ah yeah, i did tweak mine a bit in the day between giving him a copy and posting the best anime thread. haven't been keeping an eagle eye on votes in here, i suppose Nanbaka in particular would be a big victim of this. i didn't catch it being two cour, and honestly people will have forgotten about it next year when it's actually eligible...so this is harder than i thought.
i don't mind you posting your data for best anime at all, since i've been relatively sloppy about keeping running totals, and may have missed things. :sweatdrop:

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Biggest disappointment for me was definitely osomatsu, which I went into expecting to absolutely love, and ended up thinking very little of after 3 episodes

2. Would be active raid, which I found exceptionally boring

3. Probably joker game, which was pretty great aesthetically I thought, but the episodes themselves weren't compelling enough for me to want to bother with it much

Most avoided was asterisk wars season 2, because I had seen just enough of season 1 of to go "what? Another season? What the hell?" And begin lamenting that anime that I liked more wasn't chosen for a second season instead

If that is lame reasoning, brave witches definitely deserves the slot too, though if you held me at gunpoint I'd probably watch brave witches if forced to watch one. Brave witches could've maybe surprised me, while there is no doubt in my mind that asterisk war season 2 would have been incredibly boring

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

AnacondaHL posted:

If there's problems with my list then refer to dogsicles as I'd consider his the master list.

Just let me know any other issues

Webcormac McCarthy
Nov 26, 2007
Worst

Dimension W: let's have a final arc where no one is emotionally invested. Should have really cut some characters, too many.

Macross Delta: should have quit after Messer dies, they just ran out of ideas and forgot what was fun. Or better yet just quit watching after the breakdancing robot, ie the first episode

Berserk: sure full CG worked on Knights of Sidonia because it was mostly mechs and spaceships and emotionless people, but for the greastest fantasy epic, are you serious? How much better would this have been with the studio who made Drifters!

Avoid

Bakuon!!: Hey guys check out this cool and funny show about girls and motorcycles it's totally not going to be creepy or pandering! :wiggle:

Yeah, :fuckoff:

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

ninjewtsu posted:

Biggest disappointment for me was definitely osomatsu, which I went into expecting to absolutely love, and ended up thinking very little of after 3 episodes

For reference I haven't finished Osomatsu yet, but the impression I got from people talking is that the first few/several episodes are weaker than the later episodes, which is definitely the vibe from what I've watched so far. Quite a few decent skits, some that just spin their wheels, and only really one that I found outrageously funny so far (the Saw Parody), but I can definitely see how a fantastic ending can make people forget that is started quite slow.

Though for reference I put Luluco on this worst pist, and many people put it on their best list, so maybe my internal meter for humor needs to be calibrated.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
I didn't watch many Animes last year, but of all the ones I watched enough of to actually qualify under the rules I'd have to say the worst was Re:Zero. I didn't hate it, the character growth was fine, but a combination of the creepy 'moe' characters and the joyful glee the show took with torturing and murdering the cast over and over really put me off towards the end.

Most avoided: Keijo!!!!!!!! because holy poo poo.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Webcormac McCarthy posted:

Avoid

Bakuon!!: Hey guys check out this cool and funny show about girls and motorcycles it's totally not going to be creepy or pandering! :wiggle:

Yeah, :fuckoff:
these seem like positive traits???

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Butt Ghost posted:

That girl has two positive traits

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Butt Ghost posted:

here's the real negative trait: it's loving boring

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I should vote:

1.) Magical girl raising project - Basically my impression of this show is that someone tried to make madoka without realising why madoka was a success. Poor plot, villain with no real motive, stupid amounts of child death, at one point a lesbian hangs herself and the camera lingers long enough to show us that yes, she pissed herself. It's bad.
2.) Big order - I was prepared for this to be some kind of mix between mirai nikki with like, code geass strategising, but it was just plain bad. Capped it all off with an anime original ending because I guess they realised nobody would ever want a season 2.
3.) Cheating craft - Dumb!

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
My impression was they just wanted to make Magical Girls' Battle Royal, and that's pretty much it. Where you get Madoka besides Magical Girls and "Dark", I have no idea.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Julias posted:

My impression was they just wanted to make Magical Girls' Battle Royal, and that's pretty much it. Where you get Madoka besides Magical Girls and "Dark", I have no idea.

Fav does bear some resemblance to Kyubey (although he bears even more resemblance to Monokuma).

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Julias posted:

magic girls, dark to the point where people will call it a deconstruction, cute mascot character with dark intentions.

On the surface level theres a fair few parallels.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I think the lns it was based on came out right after Madoka as well

EGSunBro
Nov 1, 2012

PEPSI FOR TV-GAME
1. Magical Girl Raising Project I really wanted to like this show and for the first few episodes I did, but it really has a disdain for its characters that makes it annoying to watch as it goes on. Plus I wasn't really into watching middle schoolers die horribly I guess. But the way the show would try to make characters sympathetic only when it was their turn to die and how it would do things like make sure to focus on how the woman who kills herself out of grief at her lover dying pissing herself as she dies really shows how much this show hates everyone in it. The character that got me interested in the show to begin with also dies halfway through so there wasn't much of a reason for me to keep focus. I still watched to the end and I really regret it.

2. Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash This show was just super boring. The only thing it had going for it was the very pretty backgrounds but even those didn't hold up to much scrutiny since they were just lifeless stills. Terrible characters and an uninspired world with a premise done better by a dozen other shows this year. Only watched 3 episodes and gave up.

3. Mayoiga It's supposed to be a parody of horror shows I guess but it fails at that. It just is a lovely horror show without really contributing anything that would make it funny or have something to actually say about the genre. I watched it all the way through and didn't like very much but I didn't hate it, I just had it hyped up to me and it failed at living up to anything.

Most Avoided: Ace Attorney I figured it could never live up to the games and it seems like I was right from the general reactions to it.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

As voting draws to a close there's a decent battle for the top spot, so your votes count!

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.
I watched exactly 3 shows I disliked this year, so here they are.

1. Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress I felt like I watched the first half of one show and the second half of another. The first was interesting but didn't go anywhere and the second half was bland and revolved around characters doing things because the director slipped them the script when we weren't looking.

2. Schwarzesmarken Muv Luv extended universe continues doing what it does best, being awful and making me sad that Alternative exists alongside it.

3. Rewrite It's an adaptation of a VN with multiple mutually exclusive endings that are all important to the plot, what could go wrong? But hey, the second season will adapt Moon and Terra which don't have that problem so maybe that will be good (it won't be).

Most Avoided

Teekyu(u) aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

Borderline Anti-Social Schizoid

EGSunBro posted:

2. Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash This show was just super boring. The only thing it had going for it was the very pretty backgrounds but even those didn't hold up to much scrutiny since they were just lifeless stills. Terrible characters and an uninspired world with a premise done better by a dozen other shows this year. Only watched 3 episodes and gave up.

You were very close. It picks up in the fourth episode (assuming you like character-driven relationship drama).

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!
I'm never really a good judge of these things, because I don't watch the big huge trash that I know I'll hate to begin with, but here's some garbage I ended up dropping while sticking around for more than a few episodes.

Dimension W
This show doesn't know what it wants to be and just ends up being trash as a result.
It sets itself up like it wants to be a show about a dangerous new technology, but never really explores that and just does whatever random kooky poo poo the author wants to think about. Random accidents apparently cause lame ghost stories to happen because this McGuffin is a literal possibility engine. Shame that the only possibility it seized was being a lovely author.
Never really gets any better after that either.
I really liked the character concept behind Loser, but it just didn't do anything with it and that guy deserved his own actually decent anime instead of this pile.

Kumamiko
Weird show about a country bumpkin that dreams of the big city and she has a sassy bear friend. This sounds great, but the show turns up the creep factor and exploitation way too much.
Apparently had an anime original ending that made the manga fans (and the author?) really mad due to communicating the opposite message of the actual premise: Don't try to overcome your beginnings or your insecurities and just rot away in your podunk town forever. Kind of a baffling decision.
The ED is loving great though.

Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash
Starts pretty well and has a nice scene early on where a group of lovely idiots turn into a lynch mob and brutally murder a single loving goblin while almost getting their poo poo pushed in. Never really reaches these heights again and just wastes away as a badly animated show with way too many musical interludes. It does try to focus more on character development and the relationship between the characters, but I just didn't manage to give enough of a drat. Really boring and bog-standard, which is a shame since it had a pretty decent start.

Zwiebel fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jan 8, 2017

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Namtab posted:

magic girls, dark to the point where people will call it a deconstruction, cute mascot character with dark intentions.

On the surface level theres a fair few parallels.

pink haired girl whose only care in the world is to be friendly and helpful and spends the show being pacifist while everyone else isn't, put into a rough situation by her cool and collected and fancy yellow-motif senpai dying abruptly, whose fate is entwined with that of a moody dark-haired girl with purple eyes that fights by being very fast and pouring on the DPS, all of these and more roped into a magical girl contract that turns out to be inescapable and fatal by design

which show am i talking about

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

Gyra_Solune posted:

all of these and more roped into a magical girl contract that turns out to be inescapable and fatal by design

Minor nitpick: It's not fatal by design. It's only fatal because the current master wants it to be.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Gyra_Solune posted:

with that of a moody dark-haired girl with purple eyes that fights by being very fast and pouring on the DPS
this part is not the same

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

who knew you can purposely obfuscate things to a degree that they seem similar

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
Worst:

1. Luluco.
This was really obnoxious and terrible. I'm usually pretty good at seeing the enjoyable parts of shows but I felt like I'd crawled through a sewer after watching each of the first three episodes. It has caused me to modify my three episode test policy to include an early abandonment clause as a result. I really can't completely put my finger on why I hated it so viscerally, but it was probably a combination of everything- the plot, the voices, the art, and the characters, all becoming worse than the sum of their parts could reasonably be expected to be. I started it expecting to like it too, so there was also the sting of disappointment. The only good thing I have to say about it was that it was short.
2. Amanchu
The only anime to have successfully driven me away with terrible faces. The story was seeming to turn out pretty cute but they kept doing those terrible faces. Also there was a horrible eldritch buttcat beast. I made it through the three episodes, but the buttcat lives on in my nightmares.
3. None. I watched and dropped lots but they were clearly meant for other audiences to enjoy and I could see what people enjoyed about them without being blinded by my dislike.

Avoided:
Magical Girl Raising project: I'm not a huge fan of death games, and magical girls in combination with it would make for an anime that I wouldn't be able to give a reasonable chance to, so I avoided it.

CrazySalamander fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Jan 8, 2017

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Endorph posted:

this part is not the same

homura_gotta_go_past.bmp

Turkeybro
Nov 12, 2011

Looking for strong men to discover what's under the helmet.
1. Re:zero - An actual Subaru car would have made a better MC than what this show had.

That's it, all other shows I thought I was gonna dislike I gave up on after 1 episode, but a friend of mine was really into re:zero so I thought I'd give it a fair chance to get good.

Most Avoided
Kumamiko - Looked like a cute SoL at first glance, I looked around the internet to see general consensus, read some spoilers and nope'd right outta there.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Offkorn posted:

Minor nitpick: It's not fatal by design. It's only fatal because the current master wants it to be.

To be fair that's the same case in madoka, as evidenced by madokas wish

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Turkeybro posted:

1. Re:zero - An actual Subaru car would have made a better MC than what this show had.

Did you then watch Wish Upon the Pleiades instead?

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

nielsm posted:

Did you then watch Wish Upon the Pleiades instead?

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

Namtab posted:

To be fair that's the same case in madoka, as evidenced by madokas wish

No? Madoka's wish literally re-writes reality (which is not something anyone, including the creatures that created magical girls, thought was possible) so that being a magical girl was no longer fatal. Scratch that. In Madoka, even after her wish, it's still fatal; it just no longer turns someone into a witch (unless Madoka is prevented from reaching the magical girl in time).

In Ikusei Keikaku it's fatal just because "erasing their memories became boring".

Offkorn fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jan 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Offkorn posted:

No? Madoka's wish literally re-writes reality (which is not something anyone, including the creatures that created magical girls, thought was possible) so that being a magical girl was no longer fatal.

In Ikusei Keikaku it's fatal just because "erasing their memories became boring".

Well, no. The girls still live and die by the incubators' system. The difference in the new world is that when they die, they don't become witches. They join the Law of Cycles and because witches don't exist to feed on mankind's negative energies, wraiths proliferate and fill this role instead.

I'm p sure what Namtab is referring to is how the problems in the series and afterwards arise because the incubators will always seek faster and larger returns in favor of humane, sustainable systems.

• Locked thread