Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!
I'm never really a good judge of these things, because I don't watch the big huge trash that I know I'll hate to begin with, but here's some garbage I ended up dropping while sticking around for more than a few episodes.

Dimension W
This show doesn't know what it wants to be and just ends up being trash as a result.
It sets itself up like it wants to be a show about a dangerous new technology, but never really explores that and just does whatever random kooky poo poo the author wants to think about. Random accidents apparently cause lame ghost stories to happen because this McGuffin is a literal possibility engine. Shame that the only possibility it seized was being a lovely author.
Never really gets any better after that either.
I really liked the character concept behind Loser, but it just didn't do anything with it and that guy deserved his own actually decent anime instead of this pile.

Kumamiko
Weird show about a country bumpkin that dreams of the big city and she has a sassy bear friend. This sounds great, but the show turns up the creep factor and exploitation way too much.
Apparently had an anime original ending that made the manga fans (and the author?) really mad due to communicating the opposite message of the actual premise: Don't try to overcome your beginnings or your insecurities and just rot away in your podunk town forever. Kind of a baffling decision.
The ED is loving great though.

Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash
Starts pretty well and has a nice scene early on where a group of lovely idiots turn into a lynch mob and brutally murder a single loving goblin while almost getting their poo poo pushed in. Never really reaches these heights again and just wastes away as a badly animated show with way too many musical interludes. It does try to focus more on character development and the relationship between the characters, but I just didn't manage to give enough of a drat. Really boring and bog-standard, which is a shame since it had a pretty decent start.

Zwiebel fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jan 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!

Kytrarewn posted:

I get your point, and I agree that it wasn't handled well, but I don't think a message of "Maybe some people aren't suited to city life" and "If you find a place where you truly belong, maybe you should stay there" is necessarily out of line. Don't get me wrong, the show was VERY mean, and tried to be doing its damnedest to prove the point that Machi wasn't going to be able to deal with modern city life in the most "comedically" humiliating ways possible.

Yeah, that's a fair assessment.
It is kind of amazing how tone deaf and utterly lacking in self-awareness the anime ending turned out to be with how everyone around Macchi basically manipulates her and keeps her as a dysfunctional human being. And that in a show that presents itself as kind of a saccharine joyous little feel good slice of life.

But even without the ending, I guess it seems like people generally agree that it was creepy mean-spirited crap.
There's probably worse poo poo out there, but I guess plenty of goons watched it, putting it on top of this list.

• Locked thread