Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
I tend to drop things before three episodes but of the ones I stuck with for at least that long:

3 - Izetta: I liked the aesthetic and feel of the first episode but I didn't like either of the main characters or where it was heading.

2 - Dimension W: bad CGI science ghosts from another dimension killed whatever mood they were trying to set, and the arc was just dumb. The technology was effectively magic and they could do anything they wanted with no rules.

1 - Haifuri: a really crappy GuP clone with an absolutely abysmal plot, mostly annoying characters, and very little action. It felt like the show was just checking boxes, like including the swimsuit episode and inserting a festival episode on really shaky ground (why are they even near the equator? Weren't they travelling North?).

The setting tried to play it both ways, both telling us that the stakes are high and people could die, but having the characters treat it as a safe game. GuP is no bastion of realism but it is consistent in how it both claims and acts like it's a safe sport. In haifuri the girls come off as suicidal but lucky, and when they're hit by a live shell the writers step in with magic.

Then the main character is the worst part, she's an incompetent version of Miho and she never develops. She goes through the same arc a good three times and always ends up back where she started. She fails as a captain repeatedly and only pulls through because of plot armour and the power of friendship.

I really hate haifuri because it seemed like a good show for long enough that I was tricked. The ships themselves barely showed up every other episode.

Most avoided - Occultic;Nine. The first episode turned me off hard enough and the few people I know who stuck with it only give it faint praise.

Desuwa fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Dec 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread