Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
Worst of the year(I watched all the way through these):
Divine Gate
Hundred
Big Order

Most-avoided:
Joker Game (one of the few animes I've actually dropped).

DM: Kabaneri, Taboo Tattoo.

Kytrarewn fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Dec 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

If you get to and finish the final episode before deciding you hate the show, you don't hate the show.

There have been shows (including one of my three worst this year, and at least one DM) that I've given the benefit of the doubt. "There's still a plausible explanation for everything that's going on, let's see how they make this work in the last episode".

Then, they invariably fail to do so, and I hate the show even more in hindsight.

Rokka no Yuusha is also a good example of this. They set up the whole thing, then... Oh we just happened to dig down 20 meters and there was this extra tablet laying around that solves the whole mystery. Sorry for wasting all of your time with characters with imperfect knowledge about magic mechanics and whatnot, but none of that matters in the end- isn't that great?

That was last year, though.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Mentat Radnor posted:

Dropped into fantasy/game world is a premise even more boring and over-used than the magical high school one I mentioned above, so that's half my aversion right there.

That's why I didn't watch Eupho2. I mean, has there ever been a more overused setting than modern characters in the contemporary world?

I didn't watch it because I didn't like Eupho1, but it'd be better to say "I don't like fantasy" than to make overarching statements based on the broadest possible perspective of the setting and calling it the premise.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Zwiebel posted:

Kumamiko
Weird show about a country bumpkin that dreams of the big city and she has a sassy bear friend. This sounds great, but the show turns up the creep factor and exploitation way too much.
Apparently had an anime original ending that made the manga fans (and the author?) really mad due to communicating the opposite message of the actual premise: Don't try to overcome your beginnings or your insecurities and just rot away in your podunk town forever. Kind of a baffling decision.
The ED is loving great though.

I get your point, and I agree that it wasn't handled well, but I don't think a message of "Maybe some people aren't suited to city life" and "If you find a place where you truly belong, maybe you should stay there" is necessarily out of line. Don't get me wrong, the show was VERY mean, and tried to be doing its damnedest to prove the point that Machi wasn't going to be able to deal with modern city life in the most "comedically" humiliating ways possible.

The ending was pretty much unforgivable. Machi's brain goes haywire, and the two adults in Machi's life go on a light-hearted date with one another, 2 minutes after the cousin goes on a big long rant about "The village means everything, and is dying. If I have to sacrifice Machi to save it, then sacrifice her I will" and the adult female was briefly horrified.

But, yeah, the village was going to lose one of its only adolescents and the bear was going to lose his only friend, and they all went way over the line trying to prevent such from happening to secure the place that they loved for another generation. I don't think that their excesses were meant to be portrayed as a good thing.

The "good end" that I was hoping for was Machi becoming more functional but deciding to stay in the village anyway.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Knorth posted:

I don't know how the manga went but I definitely remember everyone having some sort of crush on him by the end in the anime

Not really? Of the 6 girls, there are Mutsumi and Narusegawa who are "serious contenders", then Shinobu who's experiencing a sort of crush. Motoko, Su and Mitsune never really figured into any sort of "romantic" (even if you consider Shinobu's crush romantic, while it was played off as entirely unrequited, at least in the anime) plotline.

• Locked thread