Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

#1: Berserk: Bad models, bad rigs and bad direction is the stuff everybody knows about, but it's mostly the degree to which the story and tone were fumbled that killed this for me. Entire story arcs are cut out, resulting in a series that's 90% boring vignettes that lack much-needed context. The scenes that do remain are stripped of all meaning they had in the manga. Prime example: the skeleton fight in episode 1 is turned from a grueling battle that drives home how hopeless and desperate Guts' situation is to a standard action scene with chugging guitars in the background and cheesy sound effects. It's just a numbing, dull and ugly show that doesn't really exhibit any of the manga's strong points.

#2: Mayoiga: I've tried to look at this show from a lot of different angles and I just can't find a way to appreciate it. As a straightforward horror show it's too silly and farcical, but as a farce/comedy its bright points are very few and far between and it spends way too much time just spinning its wheels. I watched way more of this show than I ever wanted waiting for a gear shift that never happened and I kinda regret it.

#3: Hitori no Shita: Obligatory third pick. I couldn't even make it to the end of the first episode, which speaks volumes.

e: Actually #3: is Big Order because I forgot about the three episode rule while writing this. It's one of those shows where the need to push the envelope with regards to dark content seems to take precedence over good pacing and worthwhile character development. It's also a total wash when it comes to tone, whereas I think tone is the strongest point of the Big Order author's other works. It tries very hard to shock and be over-the-top but because it lacks any standout qualities other than being slightly weird I just can't muster the enthusiasm to even watch much of it.

JordanKai fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Dec 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread