Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Izetta isn't awful - our two leads are likable enough and while they don't develop nearly as much as I would have liked over the course of the show, they have decent enough chemistry, the show occasionally blunders into giving them some genuinely warm and tender moments together (yeah I'm not gonna pretend I am anything other than a total sucker for "That Scene From Aladdin, but on a broom and with pretty lesbians"), and the big action scenes are reasonably entertaining, but everything else reeks of wasted potential. There were a ton of really compelling things that could have been done with this setting and premise -melodramatic doomed (or not-doomed, for that matter) gay romance, commentary on institutional bigotry, commentary on things we might have lost to the cold onset of modernity, conspiracy-ridden war story, I could go on- but the show merrily meandered past just about all of them, and failed to really commit to any of the ideas it DID bring up hard enough to make any of them shine. It wasn't so bad that I regret spending 25 minutes of each of my last several sleepy Saturday mornings catching up with it, but it was definitely a disappointment, and that's harsher criticism than I have for basically anything else I spent real time on this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

The thing about media for children is that when it's done well it should appeal to basically all ages.

• Locked thread