Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
smenj
Oct 10, 2012
Nearly everything I watched this year was great, so I was pretty pleased about that. Of course, I don't tend to watch stuff unless I have a decent reason to think I'd enjoy it, so normally the worst thing that'll happen is that a show's a bit disappointing or ends badly or something. That said, there were a few worthy of note this year.

3: Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
This is one of those shows that wasn't so much bad as disappointing, but the reason it makes the list is that there was so much potential here! It was mostly just me getting overly excited in the end, but I'm a big fan of the games and was really looking forward to seeing how the series would turn out. Alarm bells started going when I saw the OP, which was definitely the most terrible and generic one I saw all year, and then the rest of the show only backed that up by being a bit half-hearted in general. The animation was cheap, the music didn't stand out, and so on. It was hardly a shambles, but it was a huge, bland disappointment, and I lost interest around the beginning of case 3. From what I've heard, things honestly improved from there, but I was never drawn back in.

2: Bakuon!!
The show, for around the first five or six episodes, was really enjoyable at times. I'll admit I can't remember much of it now, but seeing Ducatis in the show just so they could be trashed all the time was fun, Stig-Girl was always amusing, and I seem to remember some amazing bit where Jesus showed up for some reason. There was the odd weird or creepy joke or scene every now and then, but that kind of thing comes with the territory in a lot of anime to a degree, so it could be mostly ignored. Then there were a few episodes in a row where most of the jokes and scenes were weird and creepy, or just fell completely flat, and the whole show just fell apart. I stopped watching there, so perhaps things improved, or perhaps I'm not remembering too well and am exaggerating things, but there we are.

1: DAYS
No hesitation here. I was forced to watch a good deal of this with a friend who was hoping for a good football anime. Even being objective and ignoring the fact that I'm really not a fan of football at all, this show was a pile of shite. The premise - that this bloody idiot joins somehow joins the football team at the top school in the country for it despite having never played before, and sticks around by murdering himself in practices - was shite, and the main character was one of the worst I've ever seen. I honestly couldn't really tell you much about anything else in the show. Was the music good? The directing? The animation? No idea. The main character was just so bad that I've blocked everything else out. From what I've heard, the guy only got worse and worse, which is something I can scarcely imagine.

Most Avoided: Myriad Colours Phantom World
Not much to say here. I heard the show was bad and that the only thing it had going for it was the great animation. Figured I'd see if the animation made up for everything else that was apparently bad, and watched - I think - the first two episodes. It was about as bad as I'd heard and more or less completely uninteresting, and I saw no reason to watch any of the rest of it.

There's all my picks. I'm sure there are some far, far worse shows that came out this year, but I didn't watch them, so I can't really comment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread