Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i was pretty sure we still had that rule lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i can't believe gorf nominated a 2017 show

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

I nominated Tiger Mask because nobody will remember it this time next year.

i will, because I'm going to finish it

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

another gently caress up in my list: Nanbaka got a second cour in November and will continue into 2017

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

1. Cheer Boys!! - So, so many things that didn't deliver in this show. Production was consistently lackluster, notably so when it came to training and actual plot important cheerleading routines being animated with lots of stills. Between this mistreatment of what should've been impactful performances and the focus skewing towards character drama, the show didn't do much to represent a less common sport (which had been a big draw for me). A midseason addition of characters resulted in a cast more than twice its original size with plenty of the new characters getting next to no development. There were also some gags that just stuck with me in how bad they were. Namely the constant surprise by teammates that the fat guy had a girlfriend (oh, and wtf she's attractive too!?!) and the otherwise level-headed captain freaking out when a guy on the team came out and gave him valentine's chocolate.

2. DAYS - oof. This show had a promising start with great animation but that quickly deteriorated (MAPPA too busy on Yuri!!! on Ice?) and resulted in multiple episodes per game with recaps and an excess of stills and bad cg players. The MC's athletic development wasn't conveyed well, but worse than that is the show's failure to establish strong character dynamics from the get-go. Tsukamoto has a good dynamic with another team's forward in addition to his relationship with the female manager (probably the best character in the show hands down), but aside from a few other characters the show really lacks the feeling that these guys are a team but also distinct individuals. It takes more than halfway into the season for us to learn anything about some characters that we've seen as starters for the past 10 episodes! I'm amazed this is getting another season at all.

3. Dagashi Kashi - I feel like this adaptation did a disservice to the manga. What was a frenetically paced comedy about candy became a candyshop pastoral, and the benefits of that didn't outweigh the slow pace and dampened punchlines. Definitely interesting as a look at how an adaptation can come out with a very different idea/presentation of a series, but not a good one in my book.

Avoided:
First Love Monster. I read the first couple chapters of the manga when the anime was announced, thinking the premise would make for a good comedy. Turns out it was seriously going for romance between a high-schooler and a fifth grader. Toss in an attempted rape the girl has to be saved from and I figured the anime was a hard pass.

Dishonorable Mentions:

Magical Girl Raising Project - I don't care if it's dumb, I was disappointed in how miserable this show got. The initial idea of magical girls coming from all kinds of backgrounds (a boy, a lesbian couple, a homeless teen, etc) was great, but these characters lacked any development outside of pre-death flashbacks (bar one). I feel like one of the early deaths came too soon to really wring pathos, while another went too far in the opposite direction. And of course, the lesbians died. Overall as the death count rose I found myself losing interest, aside from hoping for some sort of catharsis as the villains were taken down (this kind of happened). In a show like this, I understand death will happen but certainly don't expect or want a sole survivor situation, which is almost what this boiled down to. A minor quibble would be that despite it being part of her arc, watching Snow White spend the series being ineffectually passive became a bit frustrating by the end.

Battery - I'm not sure how to tackle this one. A show using baseball seriously as an extended metaphor for homosexual relationships is really interesting in theory, and Battery delivers on this in some aspects. Notably the conflict between Harada and his coach/parents/peers, and the toxic relationship between the boys on the rival team. However the little brother character is a little too precocious/all-knowing, and ultimately a show that's this heavily coded feels a little like a letdown in terms of what I would want out of gay fiction. There's also the matter of the final episode, which opened with a baffling cartoonish nightmare sequence and ends rather ambiguously.

The Morose Mononokean - This one just came off boring and a little to eager to try pulling heartstrings, in addition to looking cheap. From the episodes I watched the yokai stories (I don't think they're really based on real yokai either?) all fall away to reveal some sad backstory while neatly concluding in one episode. It's a formula that didn't work for me, and even the promise brought by a trip to an interesting-seeming spirit world felt like it might just revert to the same stuff after.

B Project: Kodou*Ambitious - What was an otherwise mostly fun and goofy series of standalone episodes was brought down heavily by some producer and revenge drama in the final two episodes, and the comedy value of how abruptly it was presented didn't outweigh how badly it knocked the show off its landing. The relatively bland female protagonist (with the power of slightly better than human hearing) was either inserted into this male idol unit for an undisclosed reason or as part of petty revenge for some unnamed act her father did. While I never took the show seriously enough to have this genuinely sour my feelings on it, I would've liked a female lead that felt like she had more of a place in the story, and also a story that had a more coherent ending.

My Hero Academia - I didn't particularly care for the slow pace this adaptation took and dropped it about halfway through. Even going back to view some of the action sequences that would really sell the show, they just kinda fell flat for me. Big fan of the manga but I hope they manage to adapt the Sports Festival Arc better this coming year.

dogsicle fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Dec 27, 2016

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Even as someone who enjoyed Luluco, the Trigger Cinematic Universe aspect to it bothered me. I enjoyed the gags on KLK Planet but in retrospect they may not have needed the KLK setting to do those same things? LWA Planet added basically nothing and probably where I began to dislike that whole conceit. It just seemed like a kinda lame fan/self-indulgent thing that didn't add to the show.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

El Burbo posted:

Yeah, even though I put Luluco on my best anime list I did say that those parts felt really weak to me, beyond just me going " haha it's sex & violence with machspeed episode" for a second. It felt weirdly out of place compared to the start and end sections, though I didn't mind the Inferno cop episode.

I haven't seen Inferno Cop and thought that was fine, yeah. Both within and outside the show they kinda established the connection between him an Over Justice early on, and he really just exists in the show as a good mentor character for Luluco. Other than his limited animation there didn't seem to be any Inferno Cop gags shoved in just because they could.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Davincie posted:

its very much a show for 10 year old girls, so unless you happen to be stuck at that age level mentally im gonna say, don't watch it

lol yeah *continues to watch heybot and time bokan*

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Ranzear posted:

All that derailment was just so he could get with Rem, anyway.

The whole premise of these shows is that NEETs get carried through life, but are able to stand on their own in another world. Instead, Subaru just keeps getting carried.

having people help you with things beyond your abilities is significantly different than being "carried." the alternative is subaru being a headstrong idiot who thinks his genre-savvy (and maleness) make him a hero for others (and more specifically the female characters), and that just leads to failure and trauma every time.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

change on the level he needs is not a switch you flip once and you're done, nor would it be easy considering the stress and mortal danger he's constantly dealing with.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i mean i definitely am not an emilia fan, but she's barely in the show to have as much relevance as aqua.

kater posted:

I don't remember anything about Subaru being a NEET or whatever, him being from real world just seemed like a shortcut to justify a touchstone inner voice.

i remember reading a bit somewhere about how the very brief scene of him before being transported had some tells. right now the most i can remember is him going out to shop in the middle of the night and kinda sneering at a couple? both seem pretty in line with what a depressed NEET might be up to. he does check his phone too, so maybe what we see him look at there says more (no friends? what his messages are? etc).

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

yes, the anti-kumamiko front was very successful. luckily it got to start right from episode 1 and only more ammo piled up after

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Three Cookies, the rear end av buyer, the lum buyer

*crosses self*

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

Yea there absolutely are shows with endings so bad they ruin everything that came before it

ah, to be hero

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

yeah it was a waste of like the last fourth of the show. time to pretend none of those episodes exist

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

ln spoilers given without any context are a dumb way to judge a series though.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

AnacondaHL posted:

what to do with series mentioned that weren't on the list.

toss them out, with great prejudice

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

also i guess this means i should just end voting for best anime this weekend too.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

AnacondaHL posted:

On a few occasions the vote was "valid" but not found because of differences between your list and Namtab's list :/

Also, I can post the same raw data + final scores of the Best AotY thread too if you'd like, I was just keeping it personally out of curiosity.

ah yeah, i did tweak mine a bit in the day between giving him a copy and posting the best anime thread. haven't been keeping an eagle eye on votes in here, i suppose Nanbaka in particular would be a big victim of this. i didn't catch it being two cour, and honestly people will have forgotten about it next year when it's actually eligible...so this is harder than i thought.
i don't mind you posting your data for best anime at all, since i've been relatively sloppy about keeping running totals, and may have missed things. :sweatdrop:

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

who knew you can purposely obfuscate things to a degree that they seem similar

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

sometimes people consider shows a harem just by virtue of having one male character in a cast of mostly female characters or vice versa, but without there being romantic/sexual tension between everyone, i wouldn't really agree

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

actually i don't know that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Terper posted:

There was a Love Hina dating sim on newgrounds back in the day and that's the extent of my knowledge of LH

it's the only love hina media anybody needs to consume

• Locked thread